PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for 100 Mile Wilderness NOBO'er

SCov
02-12-2012, 22:29
Hello to all -

Been doing a lot of research on the 100 mile and the one thing I haven't really been able to find is a good estimate on daily mileage....I'm [am an experienced hiker and backpacker] and am hiking with a friend of equal talent - both 25y.o. males and plan to do Monson to Katahdin with a side trip to Gulf Hagas in late August. I know that mileage will very by person, talent, weather, etc but could someone give me a good idea on how many days it will take without running through everything. I've heard everything from 6 to 10 days. We're going to do the float plane to Monson to start and leave our car near Mt K. We also plan to stay at the campground the nite before summiting on K. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

WILLIAM HAYES
02-12-2012, 22:50
depending on the weather approx 12 miles a day-it is a cool hike but tough lots of roots beautiful views and plenty of streams and lakes you can resupply at whitehouse landing worth the stay but not cheap its a ways off the trail= see my gallery
Hillbilly

Blissful
02-13-2012, 00:04
You'll get it tough right off the bat after Monson in the Chairback range. Take it easy so you don't blow out your knees. Some easier days after that, but lots of water mud and roots. Mileage really depends on how you do after the Chairback, in my estimation. Katahdin will be your worst climb and descent.

Tinker
02-13-2012, 00:17
With little conditioning beforehand I hiked the Hundred MILD Wilderness in 8 days (to Abol Bridge). I spent a nero at the "honor system" campsites across from the convenience store (yes, I paid), then I met my son and he and I took a liesurely walk to the Katahdin Stream campsite where we stayed for the night and climbed the mountain the next day. We spent another night at the campground and then hiked out to Abol Bridge via the Blueberry Ledges trail. This was in 2008.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dsc01565_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38613)]

SCov
02-13-2012, 16:39
Thanks for the responses - I'll go w/ a 10 day to be safe (incase of inclement weather/etc) but will prob complete in 9 or so - if you want to do the standard up and down of Katahdin would you reserve 2 nights in the campground to be sure you have a spot for when you get there (incase it takes an extra day or so?) or what?

takethisbread
02-15-2012, 05:38
Thanks for the responses - I'll go w/ a 10 day to be safe (incase of inclement weather/etc) but will prob complete in 9 or so - if you want to do the standard up and down of Katahdin would you reserve 2 nights in the campground to be sure you have a spot for when you get there (incase it takes an extra day or so?) or what?
dependng on when you get there, it shouldnt be a problem as their is a specific Thru Hikers campsite. I would guess you will do that section in 6 days. from Monson its tough through the chairback range, many hard climbs with poor footing, very steep, erosion, roots and rocks. After the chairback there are only a few hard climbs, but your pace is slowed by the constant rock and root obstacles, water hazards, and erosion. the last couple days before Katahdin you can bang out big days, approach 20 miles per, but it wont be as easy as it seems on the elevation profile.

DLANOIE
02-15-2012, 09:09

Yes. Reserve two nights for Katahdin stream campground. Hike into the park and campout for night one. Next day climb K and return to camp for night two or hitchhike into town for a stay at the hotel. Ten days of food is a good estimate. Dont sweat it. Definately take your time and have fun!

BTW, youre going to be at BSP at peak season so you should get reservations ASAP.

earlyriser26
02-15-2012, 11:02
12 miles a day should be fine. after whitecap it gets "easier", but even this flatish section has some of the slowest going flat sections you will ever see. water rocks and those lovely roots. At least in august you will have plenty of daylight. In october, two years ago, it was pitch black by 5pm and not light until 8AM+ We used K-air too. It was a fun way to start and not too bad if you split the fee. We left are car at Abol too.