PDA

View Full Version : Winter Section Hike Tips?

Maddoxsjohnston
02-12-2012, 23:08
Hey Guys:D

I'm getting ready to embark on a nice 3-4 day section hike from Watauga to Damascus come Friday. The forecast is showing temps in the 'teens with lots of wind, and I dont have a ton of AT experience with weather of that sort. I was wondering if anybody could share with me any tips/advice for this area and season. Thanks all!

-Bigfoot

Tinker
02-13-2012, 01:04
Bring a water bottle that can handle heat (metal, if you have one, otherwise a Nalgene or similar). Boil water before bed (using some of it for hot drinks). Fill water bottle with remaining hot water. Put water bottle in an insulated bottle carrier or a wool sock and take it to bed with you. It will keep you warmer during the night, and the next morning's breakfast water will already be preheated, making breakfast preparation quicker. Sleep with your stove fuel, too. The stove will fire up quicker and burn hotter from the moment you start it.

Hike in a windbreaker and fleece. Using a rain jacket with limited breathability will get your insulation damp quickly. Don't hike in down.

Just a Hiker
02-13-2012, 01:30
Bigfoot,

I'm on that section of trail on a daily basis and it's in great shape right now. All water sources are running well, and there are only a few blow downs between Vandeventer and Iron Mountain Shelter. As of today, there is a trace of snow between Cross Mountain Road and Low Gap. From Low Gap to Damascus is a quick 15 miles, and all downhill once you hit the stateline. If you have atleast a 20 degree bag, hat, gloves and a fleece.....you'll be fine. It will be very windy on the ridge before you get to Iron Mountain Shelter, so you might want to throw on your rain jacket for awhile to keep the wind off of you. I live close to Wautaga Lake, so if you get in trouble or need a ride somewhere, call me at 423-328-4232. Also, if you are planning on staying in Damascus, just know that the usual hostels aren't open for for business yet, so lodging might be an issue right now. You can stay at the Lazy Fox in a pinch....it cost's $75.00, but Miss Ginny puts out a Hell of a breakfast! Have a great hike....I'm sure I'll run into you that weekend.

nox
02-13-2012, 13:39
I would suggest bringing 2 hats, 1 thick and warm and one thin hat the hike in. You will most likely sweat and get a cold cranium if you were too warm of a hat while you are hiking.. I would also suggest a thin pair of gloves, liners of preferably softshells to hike in. The cold wind is going to beat you up.. I always bring 2 hats and 2 pairs of gloves when out in the winter. If there is going to be snow or a wet trail I would also suggest gaiters so you don't have frozen pant legs when you get to camp.. have fun!

neonshaw
02-13-2012, 23:13
I would recommend that you be very careful. If you overexert yourself and sweat in that kind of weather you could get into trouble real quick. Hiking in very cold weather is tricky. Clear blue skies shouldnt be an issue if you dont overdo it. If any precip comes along and you get wet you are screwed.

nox
02-14-2012, 00:46
Since not too many people are chiming in ..Bring some extra fuel if you use an alky stove and be sure to keep it warm. They don't function very well in colder temps. If you have one, now would be the time to bring the liquid fuel stove.. Bring your warm pair of socks for camp. as far as clothing, I would bring a mid-weight base layer, 100 or 200 wt fleece, down or synth puffy and your rain jacket for the top layer. For bottoms, Hiking pants, base layer and and extra layer of some sort, even.. oh no, I'm gonna get yelled at.... cotton sweatpants for camp. Warm and dry clothes for camp are the key to winter camping.. have fun

Maddoxsjohnston
02-14-2012, 18:34
Thanks all! As far as clothes go, I have a Patagonia fleece and a shell, so I think I'll be fine in that regard.

wornoutboots
02-14-2012, 21:48
great section!! I do some Winter sectioning & I bring a neck warmer (bula) & a hat, On warmer days, I pull up my neck warmer to use as a headband/ear/forehead warmer & on cold days I use both the hat & neck warmer. Bring some really good gloves or mittens & plenty of fire starter. DO NOT stay in Vaneventer Shelter, it opens to the west & is very dangerous in the Winter. Happy Hiking!