PDA

View Full Version : Easiest section to hike in tennessee?

turkeywayne
02-13-2012, 10:20
I am 67 years old and would like to take a seven day hike this summer the first week in june. My health is fair and will be taking my 12 tear old grandson and an male adult friend and his son. I was a grunt for three years in vietnam and have hunted and fished and camped for years, however, this hiking is new to us. I have been reading this site for months and was fascinated by the honesty and helpfulness of the hikers. I would like some suggestions taking into account the above factors. We now only hunt with a camera would like an adventure that they can remember but that does not require us to be olympians ha ha. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JJJ
02-13-2012, 10:41
I would consider (actually the only section I'm familiar with in TN) getting dropped off at the top of High Knob on Roan Mt, and walk north. You should easily make it to Cross Mt near Shady Valley, TN -about 60 miles or maybe even Damascus VA -about 80 miles. Lots of vista early on and few big climbs.There's even a popular hostel along the way.

Hooch
02-13-2012, 10:45
. . . .There's even a popular hostel along the way.There are 2. Mountain Harbour and Kincora.

Tennessee Viking
02-13-2012, 10:48
The easiest??? During the summer time, you will some sort of challenges. Either climbs, humidity, or no water.

If you want to start out easy. I would say start at Damascus and hike south. You will have rolling ridgetop. Your hardest grades won't be till Pond and Roan Mountain.But Iron and Holston water sources will dry up and the humidity will be up in the summer.

Loneoak
02-13-2012, 12:38
Just wanted to say thanks for your service

Berserker
02-13-2012, 13:26
I'm not sure how many miles per day you estimate you would like to do, but the entire TN section (Highway 19E to the TN/VA state line) is just a little over 70 miles total. So that should give you some idea of what you're looking at as far as TN. Most of TN is fairly easy terrain (at least in my opinion) with the exception of the short stretch that includes Laurel Fork Falls and Pond Mountain, which to me is also the most interesting portion of the AT in TN. You could also consider including the Roan portion of the AT into your itinerary as that is a really neat area consisting of several balds.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2012, 13:29
Damascus to 19E

turkeywayne
02-13-2012, 14:54
we would like to thank everyome who suggested a rout that is tolerable and interesting. if we only make it 10 miles in seven days that will be fine with us. our idea is time away from grandma and apprecite what we have in our lifetime before the clear=cutters take all the forests away. thanks again and have a blessed day

Highstepper
02-13-2012, 17:50
Also option to consider would be parking at Kincora, shuttle to Roan Mountain/Carver's then hike back to Kincora, about 40 miles. At that point decide how much more of the trail you can or want to do, then shuttle north and hike back to Kincora.

The Cleaner
02-13-2012, 18:10
Hate to rain on your parade but the section from 19E north to Watagua Lake sucks.It's been relocated about 10 times since 1980.There are no real great vistas and the only interseting feature is Laurel Fork gourge.If you'd asked this 20 years ago most people said that from I-40 to 19E is a ball buster with many ups&downs.Also there are 2 river valleys to climb out of only to descend in a few miles.For easy travel start at Damascus,hike south to Watagua lake.....

Cookerhiker
02-13-2012, 18:12
The easiest??? During the summer time, you will some sort of challenges. Either climbs, humidity, or no water.

If you want to start out easy. I would say start at Damascus and hike south. You will have rolling ridgetop. Your hardest grades won't be till Pond and Roan Mountain.But Iron and Holston water sources will dry up and the humidity will be up in the summer.

Damascus to 19E

Another vote for this route.

sarge95
02-13-2012, 18:44
If it were me I would delay my trip 2 weeks until the 3d week of June and start at the top of Roan Mtn. I would spend the 1st day at the Rhododendren Garden on top of the Roan. At that time they should be in full bloom. There will also be lots of Rhodos after you pass Carvers Gap and over Round Bald and Jane Bald. After Carvers gap until Doll Flats is mostly all views from the many balds. After you reach Carvers Gap decide how much longer you want to hike and either continue on or call Kinkora for a hitch. I would take the hitch to Damascus and hike south to Watauga Lake.

Tennessee Viking
02-13-2012, 22:55
Cleaner, don't forget:
Watauga Lake has a lot of lake side trail now. The grades on Pond are bit easier with some good views. Elk River/Jones Falls.

neonshaw
02-13-2012, 23:29
easy? surely you jest

BabySue
02-13-2012, 23:34
Some thoughts:
1) Difficulty in this context is determined almost solely by elevation change. There are other factors of course, but none of them are significant on the AT in TN in June (factors such as treacherous footing, bad weather, bugs). Use this link (http://www.scribd.com/doc/22762317/Appalachian-Trail-Elevation-Profiles) to see the truth of the other posters who have recommended Damascus to 19E or vice versa. 19E is 3000 ft; Damascus is just under 2000. Thus it should in theory be a bit easier to head north to Damascus than south to 19E. One argument for going north to south, however, is that the Pond Mt. climb is more gradual from the north. If it were me, I'd head to Damascus ... but it's not me.
2) You asked for the easiest section in TN. If easiest is your main concern, you might find some more level terrain in VA.
3) Setting aside what's easiest, I would consider it a shame to hike a week in TN and not be on a bald with a spectacular view. Post #9 above seems like the way to go for me. It gives you the several splendid views from Carver's Gap on Roan Mt. to Hump Mountain. It also includes Jones Falls (which is a quarter mile or less off the trail but well worth it) and perhaps Laurel Falls (also a smidge off trail but worth it).
4) You should check out the White Blaze forum on Apple House Shelter. It's one of those that is notorious for being close to the highway.

Sailing_Faith
02-13-2012, 23:43
Damascus to 19E

Sounds like a wonderful hike...

... what might it be like the first week of March?

wornoutboots
02-14-2012, 23:56
Sounds like a wonderful hike...

... what might it be like the first week of March?

Could be a foot of snow & in the teens or could be sunny in the 60's.

Sailing_Faith
02-15-2012, 02:35
Could be a foot of snow & in the teens or could be sunny in the 60's.

Thanks, yea that is what I figured.

... If I take my dog, are there many places.... never mind I will start a thread in the dog forum...

Thanks,