PDA

View Full Version : Chacos, running shoes, midweight boots or heavy leather ones for the trip?

ncmtns
02-13-2012, 16:02
Maybe Chacos in the summer? I dunno. Help me out.. thanx

leaftye
02-13-2012, 16:03
Whatever works best for your feet and your desired hiking style.

Texico
02-13-2012, 18:51
I absolutely love hiking in my Chacos. For the record, though, I will be starting my hike (mid-March) wearing Salomon trail runners for the extra warmth. I'm hoping to switch to the Chacos once it warms up a bit for good. I will then switch back to Salomons once I get up north. This is just a plan, though, I'll feel it out and may finish in my Chacos with some Gore-tex socks or something similar. I wouldn't recommend heavy boots. It seems that the consensus is your pack weight will go down as you hike and (probably) send things home. I find that I like a stiff shoe (like the Chacos) becuase I have strong ankles, so I just walk from pointy rock to pointy rock without feeling it.

neonshaw
02-13-2012, 23:33
I am not a thru, but alot of people I meet swear by lightweight hiking shoes, even running shoes. My ankles need more than that. I tend to have heavy boots, but I am going light weight trail running shoes next time.

Ladytrekker
02-13-2012, 23:47
I always wear hiking boots recently I purchased trail shoes and tried them out for a 7 mile hike. I have been hiking every weekend this year and have logged about 45 miles in my boots so far. The day I used the trail shoes I found my feet, legs and ankles were killing me by late afternoon a few hours after the hike. I actually had to take something and laid down and propped my legs up. I could not believe the difference from the my boots to the shoes. I am going back to my boots they do not hurt my feet and evidently have more support to them I obviously need.

Outdoor76
02-14-2012, 14:05

PLEAAASE read thru this thread...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80457-MILLION-SHOE-s&highlight=million

Tinker
02-14-2012, 16:18

I've used all three (well, not Chacos, but sandals) for hiking, and all three have their merit. Heavy leather ones might do well on the rocks of Pa. (but, of course, you'll need to put more effort into walking with them) and they might help somewhat in the White Mts. and southern Me.

I would start with low top hikers or trail runners (try them each for 100 miles or so on shorter hikes to see which is best for you) and probably stick with them all the way through. Sandals, though cool, allow bugs to get at bare skin, and sticks and small pebbles can get between the insole and your foot, requiring you to stop to remove the offender. Heavy boots, though protective, take MUCH more effort to move day after day than lighter boots or shoes. My ankles toughened up quickly when I made the switch from boots to shoes around the year 2000. I think the ankle support theory is more myth than fact, based upon limited use of low tops and one or two ankle twists. Higher boots will protect the bones on the ankles from abrasions, though.

fredmugs
02-16-2012, 14:42
Chacos are great in places like SNP but not so great in places like Vermud. I pretty much only hike in Nike Cross trainers or Merrill trail runners.