PDA

View Full Version : Please, settle my doubts about pants/nylon shorts.

Rayo
02-13-2012, 16:05
I have a March 20th (ish), nobo, start date. My current base weight is 17.75 lbs.

Here's what I have for below the waist/above the ankle:

1 short/pant combo (12oz)
1 pant (12 oz)
1 nylon running short (3? oz)
1 underwear (2 oz)
1 long underwear (7 oz)

What I'm thinking is leave the pant at home, but I still need to pick up a pair of nylon running shorts and they're all expensive for what they are, $25+ online (w/shipping).

Should I just forget the running shorts and rock the 2 pairs of pants that I already have? Are nylon running shorts something that I'll be able to pick up fairly easily at a store on the AT? Will they make a significant contribution to my clothing system?

(Side Note: It's dangerously easy to dissect my list now that all my gear is basically ready and I have a month until departure.)

Rayo
02-13-2012, 16:08
I forgot to mention, 1 rain pant (5 oz)

Ender
02-13-2012, 16:11
Leave the second pair of pants at home. At least, that's what I'd do.

Rayo
02-13-2012, 16:17
Leave the second pair of pants at home.

You're right. I'll keep them at home with a beeper clipped to 'em like an organ donator, haha.

louisb
02-13-2012, 16:26
You should be able to find running shorts cheaper than that. Keep an eye out for sales at sporting goods places while it is cold. Also check out discount places like TJ Max & Ross. I see UA, Reebok and Champion stuff there all the time.

--louis

Rayo
02-13-2012, 16:41
Will do, Louie. Thanks.

Canyonero
02-13-2012, 17:00
I have had a couple pairs of Under Armour running shorts for over 4 years. I believe I paid about $30 for each pair. They survived many cross country/track seasons and are super comfortable. I have only been able to backpack in the summer and they are awesome for that. Comfortable and breathable and they have yet to develop that perma-funk that some synthetic fabrics tend to get.

Nutbrown
02-13-2012, 17:13
Are you not going to get any mail drops? Have them sent up when the weather warms up and send your pants home.

Rayo
02-13-2012, 17:20
Are you not going to get any mail drops? Have them sent up when the weather warms up and send your pants home.

Right! That's a good idea.

So, listen to this one: I said my base weight was 17.75...well, I was just looking over my spread sheet and realized I had an error and one corrected, my base jumped to 19.25; BUMMER!!!!!!

Storm
02-13-2012, 19:46
I am also leaving in March. I am taking no long pants except for nylon rain pants. I have found that wearing these over my long johns keeps me plenty warm while hiking. I also have a down jacket to wear under my windbreaker/raincoat if I need it. My winter baseweight is going to be closer to 24 pounds but I have no intention of being cold.

JAK
02-13-2012, 19:50
I made a pair of 200wt fleece shorts out of 200wt fleece pants. I like them alot.

TOMP
02-13-2012, 20:08
Yeah running shorts are expensive, its speciality clothing, same reason underarmor used to be expensive. Heres one for 20 bucks, act fast.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/207722

I would definately drop one pair of pants, you can always buy another if the first pair wears out. But why carry 2 at a time.

I would never consider dropping the running shorts, I dont even carry pants. Just wear the running shorts over running tights and when its cold over your long johns, but it would have to be pretty cold to do so when hiking. Also long distance running shorts have built in underwear kinda like swim pants but not a mesh, so they can be used as underwear and swim trunks. With so many uses at 3 oz its a good deal.

beachbunny
02-13-2012, 20:42
the local thrift shop will have a pair for a couple bucks

Rayo
02-13-2012, 23:33
Thanks, guys, for the advice.

I'll plan on leaving a pair of pants and the underwear at home. I'll bring my nylon shorts, pant/short combo, rain pants, and long underwear.

Hopefully, I'll snag a deal on shorts at the local Goodwill tomorrow.

louisb
02-14-2012, 10:46
I was out hiking this weekend in sub 30 deg weather wearing synthetic Reebok shorts & UA boxer briefs (love those, no chafing at all) and was just fine as long as I was moving. It was a bit windy when we stopped for lunch and a pair of long johns probably would have helped but not unbearable.

--louis

Tinker
02-14-2012, 15:31
I am also leaving in March. I am taking no long pants except for nylon rain pants. I have found that wearing these over my long johns keeps me plenty warm while hiking. I also have a down jacket to wear under my windbreaker/raincoat if I need it. My winter baseweight is going to be closer to 24 pounds but I have no intention of being cold.

I'd sweat to death with rain pants over long johns. That might result in chaffing issues. If I carry rainpants (only in cold weather, and only used in rain) I also carry pants with zipoff legs which are breathable. Cold, windy weather doesn't need to be complicated by having to take care of a chaffed backside from sweat.

jbwood5
02-15-2012, 08:52
I was out hiking this past Saturday morning between Standing Indian and Muskrat Creek shelters. The wind was howling, snow blowing, and wind chill temps were single digits to low teens, depending on how exposed to the NW you were. I just had on rip-stock nylon pants and they were fine, as long as you kept moving. I would never wear a 2nd layer on the legs while hiking, but as soon as you stop, put up camp and get ready to cook, you can chill fast. That is when you need to add the 2nd layer (perhaps rain pants). You can just about guarantee that you'll peel off these layers before getting in the bag, but will put them on first thing in the morning for a short while.

Rayo
02-15-2012, 15:35
Because I know how worried everyone was about me and my shorts situation, I thought I'd let you know that I picked up some NF running shorts today for $10 on a killer clearance rack! SHHHAAAAWWWIIIINNNG!

Rayo
02-15-2012, 15:37
If I carry rainpants (only in cold weather, and only used in rain) I also carry pants with zipoff legs which are breathable.

I agree, my zipoff pants are acomin'.

Storm
02-15-2012, 18:22
I'd sweat to death with rain pants over long johns. That might result in chaffing issues. If I carry rainpants (only in cold weather, and only used in rain) I also carry pants with zipoff legs which are breathable. Cold, windy weather doesn't need to be complicated by having to take care of a chaffed backside from sweat.

I have hiked like this the past two winters without any issues. Don't sweat all that much in the winter but make up for it in the summer. Do whatever works for you.

Tramp
02-18-2012, 22:58
thttp://www.rei.com/product/827075/rei-sahara-cargo-pants-mens-30-inseamo. not get to far off the subject,, but tell me what you think about these pants.

Zigzag
02-18-2012, 23:26
Walking around today in shorts, 36 degrees, I tend to get hot when I hike but cool down quickly & can get muscle pulls when I cool to fast. My system; 2 pairs of Pearl Izumi bike shorts, one to wear, one extra, These are basically bathing suits. 4.5 ozs. each. Ibex long wool underwear, 4.7oz., Patagonia windpants, 3.1 oz., Golite Reed rain pants, 5.9 oz., WM flash down pants. 6.9oz. I realize that I carry both a wind suit & rain suit but I tend to use the wind pants while hiking & I don't like to get wet. Note I don't carry underwear as I have a liner in the shorts.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 00:03
Seem like a standard pair of pants. I like that they have belt loops. I tend to lean toward pants that are nylon (98%) and spandex (2%) because they give a little more making them more comfortable plus they are more resistant to tearing. Also do you use the cargo pockets? I used to think that they were necessary until I got a pair on sale that didnt have them. I realized how little I actually needed them. And its good, if you are counting ounces, to ditch the pockets.

Can you fit in these sizes? they are half off.

http://www.rei.com/product/794404/rei-sahara-cargo-pants-mens-30-inseam

garlic08
02-19-2012, 10:11
Whatever you end up with, it won't really matter much beyond your own comfort. You just don't loose that much heat from your legs to make it a survival issue. One layer of cloth, one layer of rain protection, and I know I'm comfortable in blizzard conditions. Take away the rain protection, and I'm comfortable enough in heat and humidity and still have protection from sun and ticks and poison ivy.

Comfort is a huge issue when you're planning five million steps. Prevent chaffing.

Rayo
02-19-2012, 22:28
Comfort is a huge issue when you're planning five million steps. Prevent chaffing.

I just did a 9 mile hike yesterday with a 30 lbs. pack and I had a bit of chafing from the poly pants I was wearing. I will be trying the shorts in the next few days (5' inseam) and I'm pretty sure they'll kick the pants off the pants experience that I had (I know, kinda forced...). Anywho, check out my blog for some pics of my hike yesterday! http://followingblazes.blogspot.com

Thekey
08-18-2012, 11:17
no nylon clothes , you'll get cooked

Carl Calson
11-03-2012, 16:29
i hiked with a $4 pair of nike soccer shorts that i got at a thrift store. they were super fast-drying and weighed next to nothing. the only pants i ever hiked in were my midweight base layer underneath my short, if i needed them.

Bucho
11-04-2012, 09:27
I started March 10 last year.

Personally I'd leave the pants and the shorts home, bring down your base weight by a pound.