PDA

View Full Version : Walisi-Yi Center address change

marty1983
02-13-2012, 16:28
Did anybody else notice that the Walasi-Yi Center's address has changed from the 2011 Thru Hikers' Companion to the 2012 Thru Hikers' Companion? In the 2011 edition it is listed as: 9710 Gainesville Hwy., Blairsville, GA 30512.

In the 2012 edition it is listed as: 12471 Gainesville Hwy., Blairsville, GA 30512

I was wondering if anyone knew about this and if not, thought they might if they are sending a package there.

solobip
02-13-2012, 16:52
That is the correct address: 12471 Gainesvill Hwy. Maybe it was a 911 change. I did not know the old address. 12471 Gainesville Hwy, is where their merch. return policy is setup.

CrumbSnatcher
02-13-2012, 17:31
my brother lives out in the country back here in nebraska, and a couple years ago they changed his address, it had something to do with being more GPS accurate

FatMan
02-13-2012, 19:07
Union County changed all street addresses in 2010 for 911 purposes. We all now have little green sign posts on our property by the mail box with the new street numbers.

The time period for the USPS to recognize both addresses has ended. But I am sure if you use the old address your package will still get there.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 21:37
I was wondering if anyone knew about this and if not, thought they might if they are sending a package there.

Yes, "anyone" knows. Why haven't you asked the folks there, instead of us?

Rain Man

marty1983
02-14-2012, 02:54
Yes, "anyone" knows. Why haven't you asked the folks there, instead of us?

Rain Man

I guess because I figured "they" already knew about it and weren't planning on sending any packages to themselves. It was more of a rhetorical question anyways as I was really just trying to let other hikers know about the address change.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2012, 12:52
I am writing from Mountain Crossings (official name for Walasi Center). Here's the scoop: The old address will still work for awhile, but not indefinitely, so anyone this season that happens to be using an old book and sends stuff to the old address will still find their stuff here upon their arrival. Later this year or next year? Who knows. But for now, no problem. Incidentally, it is for circumstances like this that hikers should make every effort to purchase and use the most up-to-date guidebooks and maps that they can find.....ever year businesses move; they open or close; change their hours of operation; change mail or electronic addresses, change policies on holding mail, change prices and services offered, etc. On the Trail itself, shelters burn down or are town down or re-located. New re-locations of the Trail will mean that some campsites, water sources, etc. might no longer be on the Trail. In short, people that use out-of-date info sources will sooner or later be in for an unpleasant surprise.