PDA

View Full Version : BA Insulated Air Core question...

Carl Calson
02-13-2012, 16:49
i just got one for my thru and was wondering what most of you do with it when you're hiking....

i have a Big Agnes bag so the air core will fit into the sleeve on the underside. would you take it out every morning and roll it up, or just leave it in and put it in a stuff sack with the bag? i'm not sure if the insulated air core is meant to be compressed in that manner.....

leaftye
02-13-2012, 17:15
On my air pads, I'd find it difficult to get all the air out without rolling it up separately.

fwish
02-13-2012, 17:41
I use a Thermarest Neo-Air and was wondering the same. Can you leave it in the Big Agnes bag sleeve and still get all the air out to place in a compression bag?

hikerboy57
02-13-2012, 17:47
I use a Thermarest Neo-Air and was wondering the same. Can you leave it in the Big Agnes bag sleeve and still get all the air out to place in a compression bag?

its hard to get out all the air without rolling it up, unless you've got a particularly roomy pack.your bag should be stuffed into the sack and not rolled. Ive never tried, but I think it would be difficult to stuff the bag in the sack with the pad still in the sleeve. Ihave a BA lost ranger 15 deg bag, love having the sleevefor the pad, but they should get stowed separately.

Bloomer
02-13-2012, 19:14
I use my BA Ins Air Core Mummy as a back pad insert for my ULA CDT in the summer. During winter hiking, I roll it up and put it inside my ULA Catalyst. Thinking about replacing it with a Exped Synmat UL 7 because it's about a half pound less.

RWheeler
02-13-2012, 19:42
I deflate my Air Core separately, because then I tend to fold it into fifths and use it as a pseudo-frame for my GoLite Jam. Although, I'm still debating if I want to bring it on my thru or not...

Deadeye
02-13-2012, 21:50
I deflate my Aircore, roll it up loosely, stick it in my stuff sack, and press it to the outside of the sack. I guess you could say I make an Aircore tube to put in the stuff sack, then I stuff my sleeping bag inside the tube. The stuff sack is big enough that the bag is not compressed, it's still a soft, resilient package. A big down enchilada with an Aircore tortilla in a sylnylon bag.

RWheeler
02-13-2012, 22:18
I deflate my Aircore, roll it up loosely, stick it in my stuff sack, and press it to the outside of the sack. I guess you could say I make an Aircore tube to put in the stuff sack, then I stuff my sleeping bag inside the tube. The stuff sack is big enough that the bag is not compressed, it's still a soft, resilient package. A big down enchilada with an Aircore tortilla in a sylnylon bag.

Sounds as tasty as comfy.

-SEEKER-
02-13-2012, 23:57
I deflate mine and roll it up tightly and keep it in it's own stuff sack. Just like it came when I bought it.