PDA

View Full Version : pack protection question

Megapixel
02-13-2012, 23:51
I am using a trash compactor bag liner in my pack. Is there any benefit to using a sil-nylon pack cover also?

Thanks.

Six-Six
02-13-2012, 23:54
Pack gets wet, Pack get heavy too. I am bringing a pack cover myself. All my gear inside are compartmentalized in dry-sacks.

Juice
02-13-2012, 23:59
What kind of pack?

Miner
02-14-2012, 00:05
While I may just use a trash compactor bag if the forecast looks good for a short trip, I use both if rain is possible on a trip. The pack cover keeps the pack from aborbing water and getting heavier and keeps the stuff in the external pockets mostly dry. The trash compactor adds a secondary layer of protection of gear critical to my survival (avoiding hypothermaa) such as clothing and sleeping bag. People get by with just one or the other, but since my pack cover only weighs 2.4oz, its not a big deal to carry it. Its also bright orange which helps in hunting season or attacting search & rescue if the need arises.

Megapixel
02-14-2012, 00:08
What kind of pack?

ula circuit

moldy
02-14-2012, 19:56
I would also bring and use a pack cover. That wind driven heavy rain will invade your backpack and make the expeirence even more unbearable. It will take considerable effort to dry it.

bigcranky
02-14-2012, 21:33
The Circuit has a nice big mesh pocket. I like to put useful stuff in it, stuff I'd like to keep dry, so I use a silnylon pack cover.

Blissful
02-14-2012, 23:27
I am using a trash compactor bag liner in my pack. Is there any benefit to using a sil-nylon pack cover also?

Thanks.

YES In a soaking rain, a trash compactor bag will not keep the contents dry. Happened to me on my winter hike 10 days ago. Thankfully it was only the bottom of the pack. I triple bag.

q-tip
02-14-2012, 23:48
I will be using a ULA Ohm 2.0 on the CT this summer. I am treating the pack with Atsco 1336 Silicon waterproof spray, and using a cuben pack cover.

buff_jeff
02-18-2012, 14:31
I've always been fine with just a pack cover and anything of importance in a waterproof stuff-sack. For the most part, even in the worst, most sustained rain storms, the pack cover was sufficient. Most times my pack wouldn't even be wet on the outside, let alone the inside. I'd bring a pack cover.

lemon b
02-18-2012, 14:53
I go with a Sea to Summit pack cover and also keep sensitive items in plastic bags.

backtracker2
02-18-2012, 15:05
what about one of those packa poncho's. It's a poncho that covers the pack too. Anyone try use one of those?

Tinker
02-18-2012, 15:20
I use a pack cover and trash can liner (two, actually, one for the whole inside of the pack and one for my sleeping gear at the bottom of the pack inside the first liner). As mentioned above, mesh pockets on packs are great if you can't remember what you put inside, but anything inside must also be waterproofed (I use two small silnylon ditty bags - one for maps, headlamp, fire starting, etc. and one for my medical kit. Both of them live in the mesh back pocket which gets covered by my pack's rain cover when needed).

rusty bumper
02-18-2012, 18:08
My setup: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus pack...sleeping bag in stuff sack, clothes in stuff sack, both of these in a single trash compactor bag in bottom of pack...everything else that needs to stay dry is inside 3 Sea to Summit bags with some of the most critical items also inside zip-locks...anything that can get wet is in the outside mesh pockets including Tarptent Moment, water bottle, DEET, Aqua Mira, denatured alcohol bottle and rain gear....NO pack cover.

garlic08
02-18-2012, 19:55
The nylon on the ULA pack, as others noted, will gain water weight. Saving that weight is up to you--I wouldn't. I have a silnylon pack so that's not an issue and I've been fine with a single trash compactor bag for my insulation. Everything else gets wet and that's OK with me. Since I only have one layer of protection, I inspect that puppy for holes very frequently. And I'm very careful while packing to fold the opening over and put my tarp over that. I wouldn't trust it for prolonged immersion but it's been OK with days of rain, occasional dunking, and sitting in a puddle in the bottom of a boat.

TOMP
02-18-2012, 20:36
YES In a soaking rain, a trash compactor bag will not keep the contents dry. Happened to me on my winter hike 10 days ago. Thankfully it was only the bottom of the pack. I triple bag.

Couldnt agree more, even the thick bags can tear too easily and you risk getting that down sleeping bag wet. In addition to a pack linee and pack cover, I use 3 waterproof stuff sacks: 1 for food, 1 for sleeping bag, and 1 for clothes. Have you ever fell over wading through a stream? Even if it is knee deep you will be sorry if you dont do everything possible to keep your sleeping bag dry.

bamboo bob
02-18-2012, 20:41
what about one of those packa poncho's. It's a poncho that covers the pack too. Anyone try use one of those?

I got one for this year but haven't had a chance to use it yet. people seem to like it. I'll find out soon enough.

10-K
02-18-2012, 21:48
I'm not exactly sure how a trash compactor bag won't keep everything dry if there aren't any holes in it and the top is rolled tight.

Works for me and I'm using the same trash compactor bag I was using when I finished the AT in 2010...

TOMP
02-18-2012, 22:09
I'm not exactly sure how a trash compactor bag won't keep everything dry if there aren't any holes in it and the top is rolled tight.

Well thats the problem, when I am fully packed for a week long trip with no resupplies I cant keep it rolled up properly and its not too long until there is a hole you dont notice until something gets wets. Should this work, yes, does it often fail yup.

10-K
02-18-2012, 22:27
Well thats the problem, when I am fully packed for a week long trip with no resupplies I cant keep it rolled up properly and its not too long until there is a hole you dont notice until something gets wets. Should this work, yes, does it often fail yup.

I get that.. It's pretty obvious that if you can't close the bag you're going to need something else.

I've never not been able to roll my TCB shut so I don't need anything else and like I said, I've been using the same bag to keep everything dry since May 2010.... I've never fell into a creek but I have tried to get a down bag wet (by washing it) and it's very hard to get one soaked.

I think getting a down bag wet is one of the most common irrational fears hikers have. Just thought I'd throw that little extra in. :)

10-K
02-18-2012, 22:29
BTW, I'm not saying that it's not important to keep your sleeping bag dry - it's very important for sure. I'm talking about really being almost phobic about it.... it's not going to get soaked beyond use unless you just leave it out in the rain or something.

garlic08
02-18-2012, 22:55

What are you putting in it? I use it for my sleeping bag and the clothes I'm not wearing and paperwork and it's maybe 1/2 full. Food bag, shelter, and everything else can get wet. I inspect it before packing (blow it up, compress it, feel for leaks), and patch with duct tape (done that twice in three thru hikes).

10-K
02-18-2012, 23:01
What are you putting in it? I use it for my sleeping bag and the clothes I'm not wearing and paperwork and it's maybe 1/2 full. Food bag, shelter, and everything else can get wet. I inspect it before packing (blow it up, compress it, feel for leaks), and patch with duct tape (done that twice in three thru hikes).

Right - you only need to bag the stuff that can't get wet. Some things can just get wet and no big deal.

About_Time
02-18-2012, 23:12
I couln't find any trash compactor bags last year in the south Florida area for my hike, so I had to go with "Contractor Clean Up" bags from Home Depot. I think they're a little bit bigger than the trash compactor bags, so a little more material to roll at the top. I used one bag for the whole trail and it's still in great shape.

kayak karl
02-18-2012, 23:12
they're great. more like a jacket though. it's my rain gear, wind shirt, pack cover and wind shield over foot end of hammock on cold windy nights (pillow on other nights). carried water up from a lake with it one time.
http://www.thepacka.com/
was going to switch to the cuben one but too much $$$$ to save 6 oz.

TOMP
02-18-2012, 23:51
What are you putting in it?

Yeah, I put everything in it, it lines the pack. Even my sil-nylon stuff sacks. Given that I have all my items that need to stay dry in waterproof stuff sacks now, I probably dont even need to use it at all. as you said it can get wet, but I dont want it too. But if it keeps water out, then it keeps mildew out too. I was thinking about making a tyvek "top hat" for my pack but I think its redundant with the sil-nylon pack cover. I am also not very diligent in inspecting the bag for holes on my trips. I find out when I find water. So you could say this is my own user error.

Sensei
02-19-2012, 02:00
Here's a vote for both pack cover AND compactor bag. When it rains for two weeks straight and nothing dries - even though you hang it up in a shelter every night - you will need all the waterproofing you can get.

garlic08
02-19-2012, 09:55
Yeah, I put everything in it, it lines the pack. Even my sil-nylon stuff sacks. Given that I have all my items that need to stay dry in waterproof stuff sacks now, I probably dont even need to use it at all. as you said it can get wet, but I dont want it too. But if it keeps water out, then it keeps mildew out too. I was thinking about making a tyvek "top hat" for my pack but I think its redundant with the sil-nylon pack cover. I am also not very diligent in inspecting the bag for holes on my trips. I find out when I find water. So you could say this is my own user error.

Here's an opportunity to shave a few ounces, if you care. Waterproof stuff sacks (I assume that means dry sacks, not silnylon) must weigh something and take up some room by themselves. I've found that my stuff packs nicer without stuff sacks. I have two silnylon sacks, one for food, one for clothing/pillow, and they're usually mostly empty. (One of the good things about silnylon is that it's resistant to mildew, so that worry is gone.) I have a few ziplocks for my food, and one for a jacket I like to keep handy at the top of the pack for breaks.

I admit it's a little risky to have nothing but one layer of plastic protecting my insulation, but it's a risk I've been able to manage so far with a little care. Everything just seems to work better for me without the extra layer(s) of protection.

Papa D
02-19-2012, 10:52
Yes - use a pack cover - it keeps your bag mostly dry in a soaking rain - they are not perfect mine (a Granite Gear at present) keeps things about 90% dry - I keep everything inside my pack (that needs to keep dry) - clothing, sleeping bag, etc.) in its own dry bag - I use Sea-to-Summit bags, mostly. lining your pack with a trash compactor bag is clumsy and it will tear in a few days - I do carry a medium trash compactor bag for various uses though which include putting my legs in for warmth (maybe at snacktime or in a cold misty morning at a shelter) which works really well - it's also a possible back-up device for an old dry bag. Finally, they are pretty good for packing out other people's garbage which I hope everyone on here does once in a while - such good karma. Use a pack cover and have fun.

I just saw Garlic's post above - rare that I disagree with him but I will say that what works for him obviously does -- I wouldn't reccomend skipping dry bags to most people though - I think it's risky advice (for most) - - especially in the SOUTH in the SPRING where water will just SOAK anything it can. Until you have Garlic's many thousands of miles on your feet, I'd suggest (at least a couple) dry bags inside your pack - 2 bags will weigh about 4 ounces - just skip somthing else to save weight (and use a pack cover) :)

TOMP
02-19-2012, 12:51
Here's an opportunity to shave a few ounces, if you care. Waterproof stuff sacks (I assume that means dry sacks, not silnylon)

They are sil-nylon waterproof stuff sacks from sea to summit, all 3 weigh about 4.5 oz total.

Datto
02-25-2012, 23:15

Thanks.

I started my thru-hike with a trash bag as a pack cover to save a little weight (and give me the hiker-trash-panash -- HTP (TM) -- I was craving of course) -- the trash bag was shredded all the time from walking past bushes along the Trail. Mrs. Gorp was nice enough to have sent me a stylin' 2oz silnylon backpack cover and I did the catwalk parade of it for the other thru-hikers later.

Datto

Thirsty DPD
02-25-2012, 23:39
Packa poncho is great as long as your hood is up.