PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Shelters

wmcquate
03-20-2005, 22:43
Does anyone have any experience with the Black Diamond single wall shelters like this one http://www.rei.com/product/47783167.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC? They're made of the Epic material which isn't "waterproof", so I was wondering about their wet weather perfomance...

hikerjohnd
03-20-2005, 23:06
Whoa - for that kind of coin, the tent better walk along beside me and carry 1/2 my gear! And a tent that is not waterproof??? What's the point? :datz

erichlf
03-20-2005, 23:50
If you are insistent on a tent check out Sierra Designs.

Panzer1
03-21-2005, 01:10
Bibler is now owned by Black Diamond. I bought a Bibler I-tent in 1982 and used it until about 2001. I stopped using it when the floor finally wore out.
I called them and they said they wanted $400 plus tax to replace the floor. I wasn't willing to pay that much to have the floor replaced. That is my main gripe with Black Diamond/Bibler. They would rather sell you a new tent that repair an old one. Don't plan on having them repair anything for you.

Black Diamond is now making cheaper versions of the Bibler tents. The Bibler I-tent is a sister to the Black Diamond Firstlight. And the Bibler Eldorado is sister to the Black Diamond Lighthouse. The dfference being the material they are made out of. The difference between the Lighthouse and the Firstlight is that the Lighthouse is built for taller people (over 6 foot). I am 6'1" and was never completely happy with the I-tent/Firstlight because it is for people who are 6' or less. But I stilled liked the tent a lot.
How tall are you??

If/when I get another tent I am more inclined to get the Black Diamond version because it weights less and is more disposable. I would lean towards the Firstlight because it is 12 oz lighter that the Lighthouse.

I think the Lighthouse would be cooler in the summer. I baked in my I-tent/Firstlight in the summer. On the other hand the I-tent/Firstlight is a real good winter tent. I loved my Bibler tent, had many good times in it, even got laid in there once.

Hope that helps some.

Panzer

Roland
03-21-2005, 06:01
~~~ I bought a Bibler I-tent in 1982 and used it until about 2001.
~~~
I loved my Bibler tent, had many good times in it, even got laid in there once. ~~~ Too much information, Panzer1. Once in 19 years, is nothing to write about.

Then again, if you only got it once in 19 years, cherish the memory. :jump

Whistler
03-21-2005, 12:30
There is a nice set of complete reviews over at www.backpackgeartest.org that you should check out. I believe most of the reviews were positive.
-Mark

One Leg
03-21-2005, 13:30
I use a Black Diamond Teepee tent, and absolutely love it. The one I have is similar to the one found in this link: http://store.yahoo.com/bittersweetgear/bldimete.html

Unlike the previous poster, I can't comment regarding sexual success for this tent. But then again, that's another thread entirely.

Jaybird
03-21-2005, 14:15
Yo Wmcquate:

ck this out from REI:

Epic™ fabric, which is more water resistant than DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treated fabrics and more breathable than laminates
Epic™ is ideal for single-wall tents because of its unique combination of breathability and water repellency

:D

Panzer1
03-21-2005, 14:51
FYI

Blank Diamond/Bibler tents are now made in China

Panzer

Lucy Lulu
03-21-2005, 15:02
I use the Firstlight and have no complaints.

With only 2 poles, it is up in a minute. It has a LOT of room for it's weight, and I love the clear height. It is also free standing which is a plus for me. In the past I've used a Clip Flashlight and tarp, and I definitely prefer this tent.

I've used it on snow, in fairly warm weather, and in some pretty intense rain. I seamed the seals, and the rain was no problem. I was also impressed with the lack of condensation, although I did leave the back window open and crack the front screen a little.

"Blackbird" is also currently doing a thru with his Firstlight. He seems to have nothing but good things to say. He did claim that after getting rocked by some pretty intense storms, his tent held admirably. I believe he did comment on a little mist once when he was getting blasted by some pretty heavy rains, but to date I've not had that problem. I did make sure it was well sealed though.

wmcquate
03-22-2005, 15:06
Thanks for the feedback, backpackgeartest.org was especially helpful, I think I'm gonna lay out the cash and get a Firstlight