PDA

View Full Version : gsmnp in june

Duramax22
02-14-2012, 14:00
Doing gsmnp at section around June 14. Any ideas on clothing and weather around that time. Looking like highs in 60s and lows in 40s at higher elevation. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

fredmugs
02-16-2012, 14:46
That's probably about right in general but the weather can change in a heartbeat. I did GSMNP in 2 days last May and on the second day it was in the 50s when I started and under 40 with freezing rain when I finished. Those last 5 miles sucked.

ParkRat09
02-16-2012, 23:20
Fredmugs is pretty much spot on. Expect low 50s to low 60s but closer to low 40s at the highest points like Rocky Top and Clingman's dome. I would count on some cold rain as well. Weather is very fickle there tho and forecasts mean nothing if you look a few days before you go. I went for 2 days this past November and it called for 30s during the day and 20s at night and totally clear. It ended up being in the 20s during the day, single digits at night with 5 inches of snow (luckily I was prepared for that). Let me know if you have any more questions as I know the park extremely well (lived 45min away for 7 years).