PDA

View Full Version : Can i thru-hike on $1000

Bender8982
02-14-2012, 20:22
I know that it isnt a big budget, but i have amazing willpower, i had to eat through a straw once for 2 months and lost 35 pounds, and i survived that. i have my gear but my budget for the hike is 1 grand. im gonna do it anyway, even if i only get to eat every other day, and live on white rice. Also, given i eat i can hike very fast upwards of 20 mpd. what do you guys think. and i never intend to stay in a hotel, hostel, and i dont drink or smoke. i am very bare bones, thank you guys. I just got out of the military and i am starting a new life and this will be my first challenge, Thank you all.

TOMP
02-14-2012, 20:29
You probably can do it and I am sure someone has. Just seems like it would take a very special personality to actually get by with that little. Most people sure couldnt and would become a burden to the hikers around them and probably a bother when they turn into a moocher. With that said I dont mean to insult you and if you really think you can accomplish this then go for it. You can always quit if it doesnt work out.

Also I recommend brown rice and beans better get some protein in you at 20mpd.

BFI
02-14-2012, 20:36
Thats about .48cents per mile..... I'd be concerend about being healthy when you finish. Everything I've read states your body will use 3-4000 calories a day and I dont think you can eat that much white rice to replace what you are going to burn. Plus you have to eat more than white rice. I think is more realistic to budget for $1.00 per mile and stay strong and healthy. It's just my take on your question.

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 20:36
It would be awful tight. If you can hike it in 120 days it comes out to something like $8.33 day. Food is one thing you can only cut back so much. Even if you never eat in town I don't think you can eat for 8 bucks a day considering where you have to buy your food.

Bender8982
02-14-2012, 20:39
lol, ive actually gained about 20-25 pounds of body fat in advance for fuel. and i plan to hike in about 4 months, so yeah around 120 days. but i might be able to squeeze a few hundred more dollars into my budget, but without a doubt i will not have any more than 1500. also i appreciate everyones input. ive actually been returning splurge purches like high end gear, in exchance for cheaper stuff.

Bender8982
02-14-2012, 20:42
what would you guys say are the most important pieces of equipment that i should skimp on the least. In my opinion i "spent" on my pack, tent, boots, and a UV purifier for my water. the rest is gonna be from Target and wal mart most likely, and i got a Jetboil for free from a friend.

fiddlehead
02-14-2012, 20:43
If you are physically and mentally able to hike the AT on $1,000 (only), then you are surely able to work hard and double or triple that amount in the meantime.
It will greatly increase your chance of success.

Rusty Nail
02-14-2012, 20:43
Go until you only have enough money for bus fare. Met a guy here in NJ who thought about hitting the trail and left the next day from MA. He had NO money left when I met him at the not-so-secret shelter. Trail name Grubby.

Rocket Jones
02-14-2012, 20:47
You're going to need to replace your boots at least once over the course of a hike. Don't skimp on your sleeping bag.

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 20:49
Some guy did it on nothing but peanuts and peanutbutter. When asked why peanuts and peanutbutter he replied, "Variety". Earl Shaffer did it with very crude equipment, very basic food and little of the support we now have in 120 days. You can do it. You might start by reading his account.

rotorbrent
02-14-2012, 20:52
I remember that one blog talks about one guy that ate out of hiker boxes and only spent $25 until NY.

Cookerhiker
02-14-2012, 21:07
JetBoil stoves are pretty efficient but you still have to replace canisters. Don't forget to factor that into your budget. Perhaps you can find freebies in hiker boxes from hikers who dropped out.

For calories & nutrition, buy oatmeal - not the packets but tubs of Quick Oats which will save alot of money over packets. They're flavorless but invest in a small can of cinnamon to offset the dry blandness of the oats. All Quick Oats need is boiling water.

Re your WalMart & Target purchasing, you need a good waterproof jacket and make sure the stuff in your pack is waterproofed, probably using trash bags. You want a set of dry clothes. You didn't mention sleeping bag - I think the key is if you really can do the hike in 4 months, then don't start until May 1 - that way you can better get away with a cheap sleeping bag but you may have some cold nights in the Smokies and later on, in the Whites.

TOMP
02-14-2012, 21:16
what would you guys say are the most important pieces of equipment that i should skimp on the least. In my opinion i "spent" on my pack, tent, boots, and a UV purifier for my water. the rest is gonna be from Target and wal mart most likely, and i got a Jetboil for free from a friend.

1500 dollars is a little more doable still hard and hardly anyone can do it, I plan to spend around 2k-2.5k but I have more money if I need it. Packs are relatively cheap, you can get a good one for 50 bucks on sale, tents around 100, boots/trail runners for as low as 25 bucks, and UV purifer can easily be swapped with bleach or aquamira chemicals (no batteries this way). Personally I would spend money on a nice down sleeping bag, down sweater/vest, and boots (Just bought a La Sportiva pair for 87 dollars). In fact there is no item in my pack that cost more than 100 dollars and I have tons of name brand hiking equipment. You can buy clothes at target just dont buy cotton.

takethisbread
02-14-2012, 21:18
You can easily do it!!

Ramen is about $1 a day. .50 a day for fuel and you are golden. That's about $180 right there. That gives u $800 for extravagant expenditures like town meals and hostel stays..

Not to mention hiker box treasures and general mooching and yogi-ing.

Then there's hiker feeds and all that if you are lucky.

You can do it Bender. (holy I hear that asswipe teachers voice in
My head from breakfast club right now).

BabySue
02-14-2012, 21:32
Concerning your question about where not to skimp: Feet. Pamper them. Treat them like spoiled brats.

SouthMark
02-14-2012, 21:40
Look at it this way… go as far as you can. It will still be an experience that you will not forget. Don'y forget about hiker boxes at hostels along the way. You will be able to find a lot of discarded food in most of them and fuel also. Good luck!!!

JAK
02-14-2012, 21:47
Main staples: Oatmeal, Skim Milk Powder, Lentils
added to Oatmeal: Dried Fruit, Nuts, Seeds, Canola Oil, Spices
added to Lentil Soup: Dried Herbs, Dried Vegetable Mix, Dried Onion Mix, Paprika, Spices
added to Skim Milk: tea, spices

Oatmeal is under $4 for 4000 kcal when you buy it by the 1kg bag.
Skim Milk Powder is about $5 for 500g, making 5 litres for about 1600 kcal.
Canola oil is about $3 a litre for about 8000 kcal, and is high in omega 3.

If you are lean, you need more calories, but the extra calories can be fat, which is cheap. If you are overweight, you need the same protien and carbs as though you were lean, and the money you save by burning body fat versus canola oil and peanut butter and stuff you probably spend by carrying more body weight.

I think a hiker with a lean body mass of 150 pounds needs about 5000 kcal for 20 miles a day.
That should be about 100-125g protien, 400-500g carbs, about 300g fats, less fat when initially overweight.
Cost using my diet is under $10 a day for 20 miles per day, so I think $1000 is theroretically doable, but just.

JAK
02-14-2012, 21:50
Canola oil is also cheap fuel, but smokey. Use jute twine for a wick. Use wood sticks when you can.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:00
Practice such a diet at home before you go. Great way to save for trip and test your meals, see if you like it.

Try this. Pour some canola oil in a frying pan and heat it up some. Add mostly oatmeal, with a little skim milk powder, sunflower seeds, and raisins or currants mixed in. Let the oatmeal brown some and soak up some oil. Then add some skim milk and water, but not as much as you normally would for porridge. You can down alot of nutritious calories this way. Spices can be added also. I use the same spices I add to my tea for making chai. But different every time, and sometimes more porridgy, and sometimes more crunchy like granola. You can definitely scarf down more calories when it is more like granola, but you will need to drink more water when hiking after such a breakfast.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:03
I would definitely be looking into grits vs oats when down south. Might be cheaper. Not sure.
I'm sure I could find some people that know how to do grits, and how to get them cheap.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:10
When you buy oats by the 2.5 kg bag up here the cost goes down to about $2.25 per kg vs $3.50 per kg.
Anyhow, safe to say oatmeal is about $1.50 a pound up here, and I would hope grits might be about the same.

Great thing for hikers is that dry food can be quite cheap because it is cheaper to store and to ship.
Don't be afraid to buy in bulk sizes, like 1-2 pound bags. You can still get variety by mixing in stuff.

Sly
02-14-2012, 22:11
Hike until your $1000 runs out and call it close enough. While you can get by without staying in a hostel or hotel/motel, before spending any appreciable time in a place of business, such as a grocery store or restaurant, you should take a shower. It's only common courtesy.

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 22:12
You can easily do it!!

Ramen is about $1 a day. .50 a day for fuel and you are golden. That's about $180 right there. That gives u $800 for extravagant expenditures like town meals and hostel stays..

Not to mention hiker box treasures and general mooching and yogi-ing.

Then there's hiker feeds and all that if you are lucky.

You can do it Bender. (holy I hear that asswipe teachers voice in
My head from breakfast club right now).

Ramen is only around 400 calories a pack. Even at 5/dollar (unlikely on the trail) that is only 2,000 calories. He will probably burn closer to 5,000. If he has 30 pounds to burn he will be to 0% body fat and starvin' after about a month.

jj2044
02-14-2012, 22:14
this has to be a joke, even if you have "20-25 pounds of body fat in advance for fuel" you would be burning over 6k calories a day hiking 20mpd, and taking in what, MAYBE 1500 calories by "eat every other day, and live on white rice" you would be losing a pound and hlaf a day lol, if you were really in the military someone didnt train you worth an F, there is a reason why MRE's have 3k colories, YOU NEED THEM!! if you are really serious, work for a few months, save another 1-2k and go southbound in july.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:19
To judge whether or not some food is economical compared to other foods, you can look at the food label and figure protien is worth about $2 for 100g, and carbs and fats are each worth about $0.20 for 100g, roughly speaking. Some foods like oats bring the cost down, but you also need some foods like skim milk powder that move the cost up.

Using this as an average though, for 5000kcal for 20 miles a day:
Protien: 125g x 0.02 = $2.50
Carbs: 400g x 0.002 = $0.80
Fats: 300g x 0.002 = $0.60
Total = $4 per day leaving another $5 to add flavour, variety, vitamins, minerals, tea, spices, etc.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:24
You also have to learn to do daily ablutions in the field so you stay clean and healthy, and can avoid having to take showers and do laundry in towns.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:30
This is how I hike up here by the way. My food is about $10 per 20 miles, rugged terrain, and I do all my daily ablutions and laundry in the field. I don't do towns, but then again the trails up here are short with no towns along the way. Fundy Footpath and Dobson Trail combined is about 100 miles, with Fundy National Paerrk and the town of Alma midway. I haven't done the full 100 miles in one go yet, but if I did I doubt I would pay for a bed or shower or laundry. Pizza and beer would be very very tempting however. That would take alot of discipline.

Sly
02-14-2012, 22:30
You also have to learn to do daily ablutions in the field so you stay clean and healthy, and can avoid having to take showers and do laundry in towns.

Sure on occasion you can take "Dundo" showers, but I'd rather not have some dude washings his rotten shorts ans socks and private parts at the water source.

Sly
02-14-2012, 22:33
I haven't done the full 100 miles in one go yet, but if I did I doubt I would pay for a bed or shower or laundry.

Anyone can go a week without taking a shower and go home to clean up and wash their clothes. We're talking about 4-6 months.

JAK
I don't know where people get the idea that 5000 calories a day cost more than $5 to $10 a day.
Food doesn't cost alot of money. Towns cost alot of money.

Lone Wolf
I know that it isnt a big budget, but i have amazing willpower, i had to eat through a straw once for 2 months and lost 35 pounds, and i survived that. i have my gear but my budget for the hike is 1 grand. im gonna do it anyway, even if i only get to eat every other day, and live on white rice. Also, given i eat i can hike very fast upwards of 20 mpd. what do you guys think. and i never intend to stay in a hotel, hostel, and i dont drink or smoke. i am very bare bones, thank you guys. I just got out of the military and i am starting a new life and this will be my first challenge, Thank you all.
why you even askin"?

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 22:34
this has to be a joke, even if you have "20-25 pounds of body fat in advance for fuel" you would be burning over 6k calories a day hiking 20mpd, and taking in what, MAYBE 1500 calories by "eat every other day, and live on white rice" you would be losing a pound and hlaf a day lol, if you were really in the military someone didnt train you worth an F, there is a reason why MRE's have 3k colories, YOU NEED THEM!! if you are really serious, work for a few months, save another 1-2k and go southbound in july.

One MRE has about 1,200 calories.

Papa D
Yes - this CAN be done:

First, what is your equipment status? Do you already have gear? If not, you will have to scrounge up backpack, sleeping bag, rain gear, etc. but you can do it - if you p/m me, I'll give you some stuff for free - ok, next, the nice thing about actual trail life is that it is free - shelters do not charge (except a few in VT and NH) that you can skip (VT) or possibly "work for stay" in NH if you are crafty.

Your main expense is going to be food - you can get a lot of nutrients out of oatmeal and peanut butter, cheesy potatoes, and powdered milk, and instant brown rice - you'll get tired of it but it is sustaining stuff and super cheap - you can find "variety" foods in hiker boxes and on weekends, if you are nice, section hikers will help you out with food. You can eat pretty well (despite what others on here may say) for $30-$40 per week - if you can hike the trail in 17 weeks - 4 + months (which is very fast) , that would be a food budget of $680 (meager but possible) -- you will have to hitch-hike for all of your rides and transportation to-from but it is very likely you'll get some help along the way - you'll be surprised how many free cups of coffee and doughnuts, rides to town and so forth you can get by having a great (not begging) personality - just tell people up front what the score is. Here is a possible budget:

Transportation (tips, cause you are hitching all the way) - $50
Food $680
Fuel (you'll need to learn to make a wood burning stove) $ 60
Laundry and showers - mostly on trail - swim a lot $ 60
Flat out emergency cash $100
Misc. items and luxury - incredibly meager $50

You are going to have to STAY on the trail for weeks at a time and move right along - eat the cheapest carbs you can and try to yogi (nicely) proteins, vegetables, fruit, and any luxuries -- take advantage of all the hiker boxes, make a wood burner stove and learn to use it like a pro - like I said, you CAN do this. Do you WANT to do this and what are your chances of success, I don't know ........

JAK
Anyone can go a week without taking a shower and go home to clean up and wash their clothes. We're talking about 4-6 months.If you can keep yourself clean every day for a week, you can keep yourself clean every day for a year. People that rely on towns to stay clean, aren't.

jj2044
02-14-2012, 22:39
One MRE has about 1,200 calories.

Swjohnsey, you are right, i some reason i got 3k in my head.

jlo
02-14-2012, 22:49
It doesn't cost anything to live in the woods, so $1,000 is totally possible. However, it'll just cover food while on the trail. I found a night in a hotel every now and then was helpful and I spent most of my money carb loading in town :) You can do it cheap, but keep in mind that you'll be more tired and won't feel that good if you can't give yourself enough nutrition.

JAK
02-14-2012, 22:55
I would avoid yogi-ing, but offers are hard to turn down, and towns are really hard to walk through without spending some money on pizza or beer or even just coffee and donuts. I would attempt a $2000 thru-hike, but $1000 would be tough, but only because of the towns you have to walk through. It would be easier if there was only grocery stores along the way. I think the strategy might be to avoid towns by going farther between resupplies, like 7-10 day stretches. 50,000 calorie resupply might weigh 25 pounds, so it would be tough, but it would save some money.

You don't save any money, or weight, by starting overweight, because the extra calories you have to carry as food are just fat calories and they don't weigh much or cost much. You also have to resupply more often when you are overweight because you cannot carry as much. I could probably do 10 days and 250 miles between resupply easier at 175 pounds than I could do 5 days and 100 miles between resupply at my current weight of 200.

Not saying you need to be down to hiking weight when you start, but it is cheaper and easier that way, not harder.

JAK
02-14-2012, 23:06
Next time I attempt the Fundy Footpath / Dobson Trail combo I will see if I can do it without resupplying or stopping for pizza and beer and sticky buns and coffee in Alma. It will be hard. Harder still if I had to walk through Alma, or resupplying without stopping for some goodies. Anyhow, if I don't bump into another tree I'll give it a shot.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2012, 23:11
Next time I attempt the Fundy Footpath / Dobson Trail combo I will see if I can do it without resupplying or stopping for pizza and beer and sticky buns and coffee in Alma. It will be hard. Harder still if I had to walk through Alma, or resupplying without stopping for some goodies. Anyhow, if I don't bump into another tree I'll give it a shot.
is that the only trail you've hiked? what's it like 100 miles or so? you seem to give a lot of AT advice. ever hiked on the AT?

Slo-go'en
02-14-2012, 23:21
With only a grand to spend, you'll be through hiking in no time.

Blissful
02-14-2012, 23:32
I know that it isnt a big budget, but i have amazing willpower, i had to eat through a straw once for 2 months and lost 35 pounds, .

It depends if your body is also used to you hiking day in and day out for five months using up 6,000 plus calories a day with that kind of weight loss and inability to eat right on a meager budget. You play fire with your health.

On that budget, I'd pray also your shoes, socks, and all your gear make it 2,181 miles

Blissful
02-14-2012, 23:35
I remember that one blog talks about one guy that ate out of hiker boxes and only spent $25 until NY.

That is a moocher. Sad. Shouldn't hike unless one has the funds.

Do like the rest of us, earn the money and then go hike.

Blissful
02-14-2012, 23:37
\ if you are really serious, work for a few months, save another 1-2k and go southbound in july.

Right, that's the idea.

"If" you are serious about the hike. If not then go and learn...most likely the hard way.

jj2044
02-14-2012, 23:45
I know that it isnt a big budget, but i have amazing willpower, .

In my life i have noticed that when a person claims to have "amazing willpower" they have anything but, and are alot of the time the first to quit.

Sly
02-15-2012, 00:19
If you can keep yourself clean every day for a week, you can keep yourself clean every day for a year. People that rely on towns to stay clean, aren't.

But you can't. Sure you can wipe yourself down and get off most dirt and oils but you're going to stink. Try using only a face cloth and cold water, or heating water with a camp stove, and Dr Bronners and hiking 20 miles a day. Then get back to us.

Sly
02-15-2012, 00:22
with only a grand to spend, you'll be through hiking in no time.

lol.......

MuddyWaters
02-15-2012, 01:08
I am certain that somebody is out there that COULD do it. Whether or not you are that person is quite impossible for anyone else to say. However, consensus opinion seems to be that the odds are stacked against you.

At the very least, it will not be nearly as enjoyable as a better funded hike with more luxuries. The whole purpose is to enjoy yourself..right? Not to make yourself stress and suffer.

strollingalong
02-15-2012, 01:09
just don't go free loading off others, there's enough lazy ass bum gringos down here mooching off people.

stranger
02-15-2012, 01:10
Can the AT be thru-hiked on $1000, I'm sure it can be.

Will you be able to thru-hike the AT on $1000? I'll just save words and say no.

Why won't you be able to? Because you lack experience and understanding, if you had some long distance experience and understanding of what you are embarking on...the question would not have been asked in the first place, let alone by the comment that "you are going anyway".

Don't get me wrong, I say go for it...anything can happen, it will be an amazing experience, and it will be a great 600-700 mile hike, maybe you will even reach Waynesboro. You will learn alot. Most of all you will learn that in 2012, the average typical thru-hiker probably needs around $2/mile.

You will spend close to $200 just replacing you shoes, that's assuming you only need another 2 pairs.

So no, you won't make it on $1000 as far as I'm concerned, not even close. But that's cool, do a kick ass section hike, or save hard out and go southbound in mid-July or 2013.

Just don't fool yourself, everything changes with the first step, you WILL NOT do what you think you will do. Not all the time at least, and with your budget, you have no room for anything, no margin of error. And in the event you manage to run into zero problems or issues, I still think $1000 is well short, maybe $1500 for someone who can average 25/day and has hiked long distances before, more than once....maybe

Don't set yourself up to fail, give yourself a shot, or adjust your goal.

WingedMonkey
02-15-2012, 01:16
I'd be the first to preach that we don't pay our service members enough, but how the hell do you get out after four years of active duty in the Air Force with only $1,000-$1,500 in your pocket?

Juice
02-15-2012, 01:30
Who cares?

garlic08
02-15-2012, 01:36
Here's an article on it: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?2822-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike&p=22959#post22959 It's dated but you might get some ideas.

Weathercarrot, the author, says his first hike in 1991 cost $2000. He reduced that to $1000 with experience over the following years.

Chaco Taco
02-15-2012, 08:17
Im not going to read through the responses.
It will be tricky, but you can make it on $1000. As I say that I also say this....If you stay somewhere, pay. Im not saying you won't pay but so many people JUST rely on work for stay and thats fine and all. If you work out a work for stay, do the work and do it well. If they drive you somewhere for supplies, give them something even if its the change you leave from your pocket. Some people don't want your money but you can still give some sort of gratuity no matter if it is cash or clean something extra in your work for stay, organize hikers on a rain day to help the owners with projects, something! You can do it on $1000 if you really want but just keep some things in mind. Pay for your own vacation and don't mooch.

Again, I am not implying that you would mooch or anything like that, Im just illustrating the point that karma is all up and down the trail. You can do it the right way and make it on what have.

Ender
02-15-2012, 09:15
It's possible, for sure. I know two girls who hiked together on the PCT whose budget wasn't much more than $1500 for the both of them.

Avoid towns like the plague, eat a lot of brown rice, beans, potatoes, and hit the hiker boxes when you can. Chances are your pack will be heavier. Drink no alcohol. Never stay in a motel/hotel. See if any places have a work-for-stay and do that if possible.

It's possible, but very difficult. Chances are you won't be able to see it through, but hell, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I say go for it.

JAK
02-15-2012, 09:35
It's a cool challenge. Rather like the early monastic orders. Something you can try at home to save up for your hike and test your will power. You could also include 1 hours of running, 1 hour of weight training, and 2 hours of walking every day to get in shape and approach the calorie burn of 8 hours of hiking. Staying clean without showers, is probably easier up here than down south, but also something you could test at home. I use a kelly kettle for plenty of hot water, and where I hike we have big streams, and an ocean, and cooler temperatures, so admittedly it must be tougher down south. Also, you could try to do without any other spending, other than rent, and maybe television as well, and transportation, and knock the internet down to 1 post a week. Have fun with it. I wouldn't last a day. Best regards.

fredmugs
02-15-2012, 11:36
Read the Barefoot Sisters book and learn how to forage off the land. Apparently there is a lot of edible stuff out on the trail that I wouldn't attempt to eat.

lemon b
02-15-2012, 11:59
1000 dollars for the entire trail. I sure could not.

Wuff
02-15-2012, 12:37
For my 2011 thru-attempt my wife lost her job right before I left, so my budget all of a sudden shrank to about that amount $1500. I thought I had your determination too. I realized by Hot Springs that I had a choice to make - either stretch myself (IMO torture myself) and only eat rice and skip towns in order to make it, or just enjoy myself and go home when the money runs out. I made it to Harpers Ferry with enough money to visit some friends for a week and buy a plane ticket home. It was ridiculous hard to leave, but it was the trip of a lifetime.

Basically IMO, just go hiking and come home whenever you have to. You'll work out all the details while you hike.

leaftye
02-15-2012, 12:55
Losing weight while eating through a straw isn't a good example of willpower. That's like saying you have a lot of willpower because you bled a lot when someone cut you. You might really have a lot of willpower, but please revise or drop that example in the future.

In any case, you need to get a job and double or triple your budget. That would be a much better example of willpower. Assuming you can find the jobs, working two full time jobs for a month or two is entirely doable.

As far as your starvation plan goes, that's not going to help you hike. You might have that extra energy locked up in your body, but I know mine doesn't get metabolized fast enough to do 20's unless I eat a lot of real food throughout the day. When I don't eat enough, my pace drops from near 3 mph to about 1 mph. It's probably the same for you. I suppose if you literally ate every other day, the amount of food you need would still be the same, but being hungry has other problems. Being hungry will mess up your attitude. I see it over and over again. Hikers don't eat enough, and get in a very poor mood and want to leave the trail. If they stop long enough to catch up on their eating, their attitude greatly improves, but many go home before that happens.

So the basic question is, do you want to work hard for a couple months and have a real chance at enjoying your hike, or do you want to be a bum for a couple months and have a miserable time on the trail and have a high likelihood of going home early?

bamboo bob
02-15-2012, 12:58
Your best bet is to ask other hikers for extra food every night and then don't hike with that group and move on to the next group of hikers. Eventually you'll have moved up the trail and met new people every day. Since you will not be able to afford trail town stops you'll always be ahead of the people you have previously camped with. Sounds fool proof to me. I met a guy in the 100 mile wilderness once who said he carried no food for that 100 miles and only lived of of the generosity of others. I gave him all my food and I died right there. I'm buried a few yards behind the privy at Antlers Campsite.

liteweight
02-15-2012, 13:12
I couldn't do it on a grand. However, I don't think anyone can say you can't dot it. if you start reading the shelter journals and hikers are talking about a moocher with no money, and you realize their talking about you, it might be time to get off the trail and get a job. It won't be easy but go for it.

jj2044
02-15-2012, 13:34
is it possible to do the AT with 1k??.... YES.. but VERY VERY unlikely. there is alot of stuff out there that is possible, i could do a Forest Gump and run accross America 3 times... possible, but not very likely.... i could sail around the world 3 times on 1k.... possible, but very very unlikely...... i could get picked up my an NFL team tomorrow... possible LOL, but im not holding my breath lol there are MANY MANY things in this world that are possible, but it dosnt mean we should try them.

JAK
02-15-2012, 13:48
You could also say hiking the AT the usual way isn't worth doing.

Gray Blazer
02-15-2012, 13:52
I gave him all my food and I died right there. I'm buried a few yards behind the privy at Antlers Campsite.

Is that what that smell was?

From what I'm gathering here, you must be part of the 1% to hike the AT.

jersey joe
02-15-2012, 13:58
I completed a thru-hike for around $1,200 after equipment. It is doable but will test your will.

Here are three keys that I found most important in doing this:
1) Have the will to do it(sounds like you have this) and have a stubborn personality.
2) Thru-hike in under 4 months.
3) Stay out of towns. If you hike into a town, buy some cheap grub and hike to the next shelter.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 14:08
You could also say hiking the AT the usual way isn't worth doing.

No, but you could say anything worth doing is worth doing right.

JAK
02-15-2012, 14:10
Well done. Was it easier to resupply often and carry less, or resupply less often and carry more. How often did you resupply? What did you spend money on other than basic food? I mean its nice to sit down and eat and talk to people now and then. I find breakfast is usually a cheaper way to do this now and then as opposed to supper. Basic coffee shops are great, but are becoming harder to come by. People need to make a living I guess, and I can understand that, and it might be hard to find places that cater mostly to regular folks when their are throngs of tourists passing through all the time.

I think if I were to do it on the cheap I would do it SOBO, and as off-season as possible. Also might be worth stopping in towns that are less frequented, even if you had to go out of your way more than usual, or walk to the other end of town. I wouldn't want to rely on hitching or shuttles either, so I think I would have to do some extra walking, and carry more so I would resupply less often. It wouldn't be a typical thru-hike. It's not that I don't like people, I just tend to be too much of a follower if I am in a crowd, so I do better going solo. I like being frugal because its part of the challenge.

JAK
02-15-2012, 14:11
No, but you could say anything worth doing is worth doing right.I'll take the road less travelled. Thanks.

q-tip
02-15-2012, 14:32
No! Not possible...

JAK
02-15-2012, 14:53
Certainly easier if you are smaller. Women might have an edge. Kids might hike pretty cheap if they weren't so skittish, and growing. Full grown 4'6" and 75 pounds might be the way to go. $500 for 2000 miles? Maybe. Anyhow, for myself 75 pounds isn't an option. lol

wornoutboots
02-15-2012, 15:14
if you start reading the shelter journals and hikers are talking about a moocher with no money, and you realize their talking about you, it might be time to get off the trail and get a job.

:D That is funny & so true how the trail newletter works :D

TOMP
02-15-2012, 15:23
I'll take the road less travelled. Thanks.

Thats fine but I wouldnt take the unmarked side trails less travelled most dont lead anywhere.

wornoutboots
02-15-2012, 15:25
No! Not possible...

Them's challenge words :eek: I'd put up $50 for the winner of who could could Thru Hike on the least amount of $$ under say $1000 & still enjoy the hike & those around them enjoyed their company as well. I don't know how that would be policed though?? I mean when everyone else is at say Elmer's you will have to stealth a few yards off the trail then enjoy the town on a budget, grab a 6 pack (if you were a drinker) hang out at Elmers or someone in your current bubbles room & then hit the saloon later for a few beers & an appetiser so you can enjoy that atmoshpere & so on. If you practice this, you never know how far you can make it? Sounds like a fun Challenge! OR maybe not so fun :D

TOMP
02-15-2012, 15:25
Certainly easier if you are smaller. Women might have an edge. Kids might hike pretty cheap if they weren't so skittish, and growing. Full grown 4'6" and 75 pounds might be the way to go. $500 for 2000 miles? Maybe. Anyhow, for myself 75 pounds isn't an option. lol

I dont see the logic in this, if 2 people both burn 5k calories a day they both need to replace 5k calories a day to maintain weight, doesnt matter what there starting weight is. Also good luck carrying 25 lbs if you weigh 75 lbs.

JAK
02-15-2012, 16:01
Don't hurt yourself trying to follow my logic, but if you weigh 75 pounds you won't need to burn 5000 calories for a 20 mile day, and you won't need to carry 25 pounds of food for a 10-12 day section.

roguedeadguy
02-15-2012, 17:12
2011 NoBo here...my gut says you should get more $ if you want to finish in one year. I've made a lot of estimation mistakes in life, and it's always because my scenario was based on how I'd perform on a good day. Not all days will be good days, and bad days cause costs to increase.

Things you can't foresee will happen on your hike, and you'll need more than you've figured from an "armchair estimate". Boots fall apart. Water purifiers break. You get hurt/sick sometimes and need rest or treatment. Weather and terrain will dictate your pace. You might find that you can't make it 20 miles per day when the temp is over 90 degrees or when you're in a downpour. You will find that you go slower in muddy or rocky conditions. 20/day is not reasonable for most people in the White Mountains and the first 100 miles in Maine. It will be really hard to bypass a zero day in town with fellow hikers. It's very hard to resist the temptation of a meal in town when you've been hiking for 4+ days straight. For most of us, we've just never quite been in that situation before...maybe you're different.

That said, I think you should do it anyway, but keep your expectations realistic. Nothing is impossible, and sometimes you only get one shot in life. Maybe you only make it to Harper's Ferry during your first year and then finish the next year. Are you ok with that? Never underestimate the kindness of strangers or other hikers. So many people are out there and willing to help out with food, rides, housing, etc. But you have to talk to people! Explain your situation and tell about your adventure, but don't beg. Good luck.

QiWiz
02-15-2012, 17:16
In the beginning of the hike, you can probably live off what you find in hiker boxes and trail angels provide, but as you go north, this may be harder to do. You are certainly at the very low end of what people use to do a thru hike. Good luck.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 17:25
Don't hurt yourself trying to follow my logic, but if you weigh 75 pounds you won't need to burn 5000 calories for a 20 mile day, and you won't need to carry 25 pounds of food for a 10-12 day section.

You sure about that buddy. Takes about the same energy to walk with a 25 lbs pack (not food only) doesnt matter how big you are. Of course out of shape people or body buidlers would probably burn more than average.

roguedeadguy
02-15-2012, 17:25
I found much more in the hiker boxes as I went North. Mostly mail drop contents that were no longer wanted. Many hikers send mail drops in advance without realizing how much they'll HATE the food they thought they'd LOVE before starting the trail. Many times, the boxes were full of home-made dehydrated food. No labels. Pot luck, but beggars can't be choosers.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 17:27

Also small body doesnt equal energy efficiency, these are people not cars.

bamboo bob
02-15-2012, 17:33
No, but you could say anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Well said. Ten years ago people said $1 a mile or $100 a week.

Drybones
02-15-2012, 17:38
One thing to consider is what you will not be spending money on while you are on the trail. The thru hike I have planned in a few weeks will probably be paid for by the bad habits I leave behind...wont be putting any $4 gas in the truck either.

bamboo bob
02-15-2012, 17:45
Is that what that smell was?
From what I'm gathering here, you must be part of the 1% to hike the AT.

That's not true but I don't think it's right that a hiker would plan to get trail magic and beg hikers for food simply because they haven't saved enough to hike any other way. Some of us have saved for years in order to be able to hike, others borrow from relatives rather than to impose on people on the trail. Hikers are usually generous with advice, help, supplies, etc for other hikers on the trail but planning a hike hoping for hand outs is not something I would expect to be supported.

Donde
02-15-2012, 17:49
No you can't. Not without being a worthless freeloader. As to the suggestions about hiker boxes at hostels, you aren't going to be staying at hostels so you shouldn't be seeing their hiker boxes.

JAK
02-15-2012, 17:56
I am rather tired of all these freeloaders that see hikers as a revenue stream.
If I can hike 2000 miles on $1000, without charity or stealing or trail magic, what's it to you?

Get a job.

JAK
02-15-2012, 17:59
The trail is just a trail. It's not meant to be a free ride for anyone. That goes both ways.

Papa D
02-15-2012, 17:59
The is from Maine so my assumption is that he was going SOBO this summer - all you NOBOs just ASSUME that the trail can only be hiked your way! Harumpfh! :-? - he hikes down here, get's work for a few weeks, buys an Amtrak tic and heads back - I said in my earlier post that with rice and beans and peanut butter and fire this COULD be done, I did not say that it was LIKELY or that it would be a lark.

trippclark
02-15-2012, 18:07
If you are physically and mentally able to hike the AT on $1,000 (only), then you are surely able to work hard and double or triple that amount in the meantime.
It will greatly increase your chance of success.
This is the best advice. A $1000 budget is an unnecessary burden. If it is worth doing, then it is worth working extra and working hard to double or triple that amount so your success is much more likely.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:14
I would argue that by hiking on a $1000 budget, honestly, you are less of a burden on society and the environment than hiking on a $3000 or $6000 budget. There are still fools like me that are more interested in trail than towns. That is why we hike. Sounds like the AT is not such a place to hike. Fine by me.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 18:22
Sounds like the AT is not such a place to hike. Fine by me.

Oh brother, yeah thats what people are saying. No, all they are pointing out is that 1k is a tight budget to buy the amount of food and fuel necessary to hike 2182 miles. And heck go budget 500 bucks if you want, just have more money in the bank in case that budget doesnt work out.

If 1k is all the money you have in the world what will you do when you finish? Answer mooch off Ma and Pa or friends or family till you have a job, is that a good idea for an adult?

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:34
That's not what I'm hearing. What I hear is someone wants to be frugal and focus on the trail and not towns and everyone calls them a vagrant, a thief, and a burden on society. I think there is too much sense of entitlement, but its not just hikers. People that are providing a service, making a living off the trail, shouldn't try and do it by shaming people. It's a trail. It's meant to be for recreation and respect of nature, not an industry. People that have the privilege of making a living off it in some way should be more reverent. Same trend up here though. Damn shame.

It's not supposed to be a freaking shakedown operation.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:36
People should grow up and learn to making a living without trying to shame people to support their sense of entitlement. Let people hike, and get off their back. Sure their are freeloaders, but they are not all hikers.

BabySue
02-15-2012, 18:39
If you do a thru w/ only $1000, you should carry bills instead of coins. $1000 in pennies is well over a ton. Admittedly quarters would be less, but still ...

Nutbrown
02-15-2012, 18:39
I'd be the first to preach that we don't pay our service members enough, but how the hell do you get out after four years of active duty in the Air Force with only $1,000-$1,500 in your pocket?

That was the first thing I thought. I think we have a troll.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:43
It worked. Same game every year. Someone suggests being frugal and everyone is offended.

Frugality is a virtue.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:45
Where was the morale outrage when all those "Europe on $5 a day" books were being published. lol

Nutbrown
02-15-2012, 18:48
They were freeloaders too.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:56
Maybe. But they weren't fools.

JAK
02-15-2012, 18:59
I would still argue people hiking 2000 miles on $6000 are more of a burden than people hiking for less.
That's the way our grandparent's lived. Frugal.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 19:01
It worked. Same game every year. Someone suggests being frugal and everyone is offended.

Frugality is a virtue.

Sure but, blowing the last 1k-1.5k you have to your name isnt being frugal. That is why you have people yelling moocher. Better on here than in the trail logs in the shelters, as another posted pointed out.

JAK
02-15-2012, 19:06
I don't buy that. Many people on here are more than happy for people to spend their last $7000, just not their first $1000 or $2000. The moochers are the people that depend on such fools, and try and shame others into doing the same.

brotheral
02-15-2012, 20:01
absolutely not !!!!

JAK
02-15-2012, 20:11
It really only depends on whether you are hiking just for the trail, or for the trail and the towns and services. If you want to do a 2000 mile hike and enjoy town life and services along the way, as most people do, $1000 is not enough. But don't feel morally obligated to spend time and money in towns if all you want to do is hike the trail. The trail after all, is just the trail. If you feel obligated in any way it might be to support all the trail maintainers, or maybe do your own trail maintenance at home for people that come from away to hike trails in your region. Don't get pushed around. Learn from the trail, not the towns.

JAK
02-15-2012, 20:14
You've painted up your lips
And rolled and curled your tinted hair
Ruby are you contemplating
Going out somewhere
The shadow on the wall
Tells me the sun is going down
Oh Ruby
Don't take your love to town

It wasn't me
That started that crazy Asian war
But I was proud to go
And do my patriotic chore
And yes, it's true that
I'm not the man I used to be
Oh, Ruby I still need some company
It's hard to love a man
Whose legs are bent and paralyzed
That my wants and needs of a woman of your age
Ruby, I realized
Oh Ruby

She's leaving now cause
I just heard the slamming of the door
The way I know I've heard it
Some 100 times before
And if I could move I'd get my gun
And put her in the ground
Oh Ruby
Oh Ruby for God's sake turn around

Brittney Floyd
02-15-2012, 20:19
$1000 would be okay to use but not if you dont want to be comfortable if you are wanting to hike for the enjoyment then only $1000 may not work but if there is some drive in you and you dont want to wait until you are able to save the cash sheesh go for it then kudos for you but you will probably come across alot of trail magic while hiking so you are bound to be fine when it comes to food just worry about your water and a bath every few weeks :)

fiddlehead
02-15-2012, 20:35
I think we have a troll.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
6 pages on a BS question that comes up every year.

I think maybe it's just one of JAK's friends started it so that JAK could reach 10,000 posts as soon as possible.

CrumbSnatcher
02-15-2012, 20:56
I completed a thru-hike for around $1,200 after equipment. It is doable but will test your will.

Here are three keys that I found most important in doing this:
1) Have the will to do it(sounds like you have this) and have a stubborn personality.
2) Thru-hike in under 4 months.
3) Stay out of towns. If you hike into a town, buy some cheap grub and hike to the next shelter.this is one of the post that stands out the most for me, joe is a stand up guy,it was great to meet him, and yes he rocked the trail for $1,200. but i can't stop thinking that not only was it 200.00 more than the OP wants to spend on his 2012 thruhike, but joe hiked it in 2002 and portions were bigger and prices on everything were less. not sure if you can(don't know you) but rock on :-)

Johnny Thunder
02-15-2012, 21:14
But you can't. Sure you can wipe yourself down and get off most dirt and oils but you're going to stink. Try using only a face cloth and cold water, or heating water with a camp stove, and Dr Bronners and hiking 20 miles a day. Then get back to us.

it's possible, at least in the summer, to stay clean while on a through hike. it just takes dedication and the desire to adopt a mentality of living in the woods and not living in town stops between trips in the woods. i had two indoor showers from duncannon to bennington (one being a civilizing scrub in brooklyn). the rest of the time i hung my 4 liter water bag in a tree and showered with bronners. i did this everyday before attempting any camp chores b/c the oil and salt and stuff was easy to remove before it got dry and caked on.

i tend not to agree with jak as a matter of principle. but in this case he is right. if you take the time to maintain cleanliness you can stay out of town for pure-hygiene reasons....beer runs on the other hand...

max patch
02-15-2012, 21:21
I think maybe it's just one of JAK's friends started it so that JAK could reach 10,000 posts as soon as possible.

10,000 posts and zero miles on the AT. And it shows.

Razor
02-15-2012, 21:25
And the answer is still no!

max patch
02-15-2012, 21:41
The correct answer in not "no".

Its "hell no"

leaftye
02-15-2012, 22:08
You sure about that buddy. Takes about the same energy to walk with a 25 lbs pack (not food only) doesnt matter how big you are. Of course out of shape people or body buidlers would probably burn more than average.

Nope. I burn 8000 calories a day in 2010.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 23:38
Nope. I burn 8000 calories a day in 2010.

Ugh, ok I know everyone will vary on the exact number but lets put it this way all through hikers I know that are honest tell me they cant get enough food regardless of thier size. So no one is saving weight by bringing less food. Even someone small is going through 10 lbs of food at least in what was the hypothetical timeframe 10 days? Probably more toward 20.

TOMP
02-15-2012, 23:39
10,000 posts and zero miles on the AT. And it shows.

Thats an odd ratio. I dont think you have to thru-hike to know what your doing but why talk on whiteblaze.net why not pick a general hiker forum.

Bender8982
02-15-2012, 23:45
Everyones cynicism and prejudice towards me(an American veteran) i honestly find disgusting, as i thiought this was a group of intelligent, warm-hearted, kind, open-minded individuals. I must say with sadness, that i have been proven wrong. JAK was correct, i have "decided" to budget $1000 as a personal challenge. PLEASE tell why hiking a 2000 mile trail is even considered an accomplishment is you pussy-footed your way down the trail on a pansy ass 6-7 month hike. stopping every couple days and enjoying a nice hot shower, and a few warm meals, curled up in a hotel bedroom. I want to finish and know that "I" did something hard. i want to feel the pain, call me a masochist, but i wouldnt feel any pride if i had a luxurious trip up the AT. The negative critics on here are probably the same people who would hike up Everest with a team sherpas to carry all your gear because youre too busy sipping fine coffee. I am a man, and i want to do this as a matter of pride, a personal challenge. I am about to begin Medical school and i want this last challenge before i spend the next 5-10 years in school and residency. And for the record im not a vagrant..I am a college educated man, that has my house in order. I have "Plenty" of money in the bank, That I earned Myself. i have no financial concerns. Thank you.
P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. I apologize I am being offensive, but I am myself offended by a few of these comments.

Bender8982
02-15-2012, 23:50
and no this wasnt a troll, i havent a clue who JAK is. I did not mean to state that i only possessed $1,000.00 just that it was my budget. I apologize for any confusion on that front. Also, i have never begged or even asked in my life for anything that i could not get myself, so i will not be burden, i would accept failure like an adult and go home in the event that i ran out of money.

prain4u
02-15-2012, 23:52
CAN YOU COMPLETE A THRU HIKE ON $1.000?

On paper, and in theory, "Yes". However, in reality, the answer is a big "NO!"! (Not if you want to be healthy at the end of the hike). You simply can't get enough (and enough varied) calories on that budget. Furthermore, in the real world, "crap happens". Equipment breaks--and needs to be repaired or replaced. You twist an ankle. You become ill. The weather get's crappy. All of those types of things can slow down your hike (and extend your total number of days and increase your costs).

Furthermore, WHY would you want to do a thru hike on such a low budget--with the "fear" of running out of money handing over your head and dictating your every decision? That "pressure" would quickly become a mental drain and take the "fun" out of the hike. (In my never humble opinion).

SUGGESTIONS:
1) Start hiking with the goal of "getting as far as I can get" before the money runs out. Then go home when the money is almost gone. (Retain enough money to get home).

2) Wait one more year to start your hike. Save up to "do it right".

3) Do a Southbound thru hike--starting in June of early July--and do everything in you power to earn, save, borrow, or counterfeit some more money between now and then.

Have fun!

buff_jeff
02-15-2012, 23:53
Everyones cynicism and prejudice towards me(an American veteran) i honestly find disgusting, as i thiought this was a group of intelligent, warm-hearted, kind, open-minded individuals. I must say with sadness, that i have been proven wrong. JAK was correct, i have "decided" to budget $1000 as a personal challenge. PLEASE tell why hiking a 2000 mile trail is even considered an accomplishment is you pussy-footed your way down the trail on a pansy ass 6-7 month hike. stopping every couple days and enjoying a nice hot shower, and a few warm meals, curled up in a hotel bedroom. I want to finish and know that "I" did something hard. i want to feel the pain, call me a masochist, but i wouldnt feel any pride if i had a luxurious trip up the AT. The negative critics on here are probably the same people who would hike up Everest with a team sherpas to carry all your gear because youre too busy sipping fine coffee. I am a man, and i want to do this as a matter of pride, a personal challenge. I am about to begin Medical school and i want this last challenge before i spend the next 5-10 years in school and residency. And for the record im not a vagrant..I am a college educated man, that has my house in order. I have "Plenty" of money in the bank, That I earned Myself. i have no financial concerns. Thank you.
P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. I apologize I am being offensive, but I am myself offended by a few of these comments.

Talk is cheap.

People outlined potential problems and hurdles to completing the trail on $1,000. If you wanted everyone to be impressed with your goal, and basically just tell you what you wanted to hear, why start this thread? Are you that sensitive that you can't take hearing the problems inherent to your "plan"?

Come back when you've actually done this. Believe me, I think frugality is a good thing, and I really do hope you succeed. However, It's easy to call others' hikes "pussy-footed" from the confines of your home.

Kookork
02-16-2012, 00:10
Thats an odd ratio. I dont think you have to thru-hike to know what your doing but why talk on whiteblaze.net why not pick a general hiker forum.

I am one of those hikers that has ZERO miles on AT.

I am pretty sure that one can post here on whiteblaze.net ,be helpful with minimal or zero AT mileage. AT is not the only trail that teaches hikers how to hike.It is just the dominant trail that is talked about here on WB.
I am quite sure that there are plenty of posters here that are not AT thru hikers and post regularly here. Your post gives me the feeling that you feel privileged about posting here just because you are an AT thru hiker.Not a good feeling.

Having some respect for someone that has been posting in this forum for 10000 post is not going to hurt you no matter of their AT mileage. Choosing which forum they want to post their opinion is not your decision ,never been, never will.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 00:12
[QUOTE=Bender8982;1253862] P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. [QUOTE]

I did not say this, please do not misquote me. That was part of the JAK spamming brigade. I just corrected him on it. If you didnt misrepresent yourself I dont believe you would have gotten as many vagrant, moocher comments. People would have known that you have more funds if needed. I think this stems from peoples experience with low fund hikers that turn into moochers. If you are out there this year you will see a couple. With that said just as many people will doubt you, and it sounds like you have your mind made up to prove em wrong. So good luck and I did not mean to disrespect a vet, thank you for your service.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 00:20
I am one of those hikers that has ZERO miles on AT.

I am pretty sure that one can post here on whiteblaze.net ,be helpful with minimal or zero AT mileage. AT is not the only trail that teaches hikers how to hike.It is just the dominant trail that is talked about here on WB.
I am quite sure that there are plenty of posters here that are not AT thru hikers and post regularly here. Your post gives me the feeling that you feel privileged about posting here just because you are an AT thru hiker.Not a good feeling.

Having some respect for someone that has been posting in this forum for 10000 post is not going to hurt you no matter of their AT mileage. Choosing which forum they want to post their opinion is not your decision ,never been, never will.

You post makes me feel like you didnt actually read my post. I said you DONT have to be a thru-hiker. It just seems odd that you would want to have so many AT centered conversations and never go on it. There are several good general hiking forums. I just find it strange, not wrong, I didnt say dont do it, and I didnt say you shouldnt do it. I am allowed to have an opinion and that was just my observation it is strange. I dont have any air of superiority. With that said I wont comment on other members here out.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 00:20
P.S. as TOMP stated, Frugality is a "virtue" as defined by Benjamin Franklin, and apparently many of you missed that lesson in life. I apologize I am being offensive, but I am myself offended by a few of these comments.wow. issues. you wanna be a masochist, run this race under 9 hours like me. the AT is not much of a challenge
http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/mmtr/

SassyWindsor
02-16-2012, 00:30
Maybe, if you could get someone, like a relative, to mail-drop supplies. Use a wood-burning stove(ie:Sierra Zip), like I do. With the zip stove you won't need to leave the trail to find fuel, could possibly swap cooking for share of food. This might work if another hiker(s) have ran out of fuel. I think it would be close to impossible to complete a thru-hike for $1000 without a lot of off and/or on-trail support/mooching. Forget it if you'll have to include transportation in this amount.

jj2044
02-16-2012, 00:34

WOW, you got some major problems LOL, please tell us your trail name or real name so we can track you on your at trip..... you came here ASKING if you could do it on 1k, and you have gotten your answer. now your going to cry its not the answer you wanted ??? a dumb plan is a dumb plan if your an american veteran or not.

jj2044
02-16-2012, 00:44
And for someone about to "begin medical School", you would think you would be smart enough to listen and learn from these people telling you info and giving advice.... i really hope you are never my doctor with your piss poor planning.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 00:46
I just got out of the military and i am starting a new life and this will be my first challenge, Thank you all.

what branch of service and what MOS

jj2044
02-16-2012, 00:53
what branch of service and what MOS

In another thread he says he was in the airforce... never said MOS

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 00:54
In another thread he says he was in the airforce...

:).............

jj2044
02-16-2012, 00:59
Also said he was active duty for 4 years...... 24 years old... either this guy is full of ***** about starting med school, of he was a complete POG while in and had ALOT of free time.

Kookork
02-16-2012, 01:21
You post makes me feel like you didnt actually read my post. I said you DONT have to be a thru-hiker. It just seems odd that you would want to have so many AT centered conversations and never go on it. There are several good general hiking forums. I just find it strange, not wrong, I didnt say dont do it, and I didnt say you shouldnt do it. I am allowed to have an opinion and that was just my observation it is strange. I dont have any air of superiority. With that said I wont comment on other members here out.

Dear TOMP:
Your post was short enough that I certainly read it twice before posting about it. You are definitely allowed to have opinion and nobody should stop you but your post was clear enough about your OPINION about JAK posting here. You find it strange or odd or any other word and I find it just normal.

Accepting mistakes we have made is a virtue that comes later in the life but is great if it comes earlier. I was way older than you when I started to accept that I might be wrong. I just hope you be wiser than me.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 01:45
Dear TOMP:
Your post was short enough that I certainly read it twice before posting about it. You are definitely allowed to have opinion and nobody should stop you but your post was clear enough about your OPINION about JAK posting here. You find it strange or odd or any other word and I find it just normal.

Accepting mistakes we have made is a virtue that comes later in the life but is great if it comes earlier. I was way older than you when I started to accept that I might be wrong. I just hope you be wiser than me.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. You can find it normal and I can find it strange and we can both be telling the truth about how we feel. How can you say I am allowed to have an opinion but then go on to say that my opinion is wrong. Why am I wrong because I dont agree with you? And sure I can be wrong too and Im entitled to do that.

Kookork
02-16-2012, 01:55

I have respect for you and your army duty and your decision about hiking AT under budget but please do not call others names. Walking 2180 miles is NOT an easy task even with all the luxuries that you mentioned let alone hiking 2180 miles of AT. Mounting Everest is NOT an easy task even if there are ten Sherpas to pamper you. You still need to hike about 5 million steps . If you want to make it tougher than it already is good for you but do not disrespect others who have done it the easier way. They have done it but you want to do it, the difference is just monumental at the moment.

Can you succeed? Who knows, it is up to you and your willpower.I wish you a safe and enjoyable journey.

You mentioned that you were feeding via a straw for such a long time and used it as a demonstration of your strong willpower. Did you have any other option for feeding at the time but you did not choose it? On AT you will always have the option of bailing out and pulling the plug which can make reaching to the end tougher than you think. Being in military service for 4 years can certainly gives you an edge but it does not make it a done deal.

If you like to make it more challenging than what it already I respect that but keep everything Realistic.

GOOD LUCK

Kookork
02-16-2012, 02:10
You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. You can find it normal and I can find it strange and we can both be telling the truth about how we feel. How can you say I am allowed to have an opinion but then go on to say that my opinion is wrong. Why am I wrong because I dont agree with you? And sure I can be wrong too and Im entitled to do that.

I apologize if my respond offended you but believe me if I say I really did not want to offend you.That was not my point.

IrishBASTARD
02-16-2012, 04:46
I'd be the first to preach that we don't pay our service members enough, but how the hell do you get out after four years of active duty in the Air Force with only $1,000-$1,500 in your pocket? Your also the first to condemn a man on how he spends his money...let alone of an "active duty" "Air Force member" who fights for all of us. He gets paid nothing but how ******ing dare you have the arrogance to feel its your Right...to ask anyone besides yourself how they spend their money. What is the MATTER WITH YOU? Its people like you who make me sick...hypocrits true and in all ways. Your stating we dont pay enough to "our service members"...then you have the balls to ask where it went. SERIOUSLY *** IS WRONG WITH YOU...ACT YOUR AGE AND SHUTUP ABOUT how people spend their own money. Bender will be fine because he will be able to rely on TRUE HIKERS...aka people who want to help someone regardless of financial constraints. Woule be honored to buy any Service member a beer let alone a meal. if more Americans did their part to help our fellow American...we would all be better for it.

leaftye
02-16-2012, 04:55
Talk is cheap.

People outlined potential problems and hurdles to completing the trail on $1,000. If you wanted everyone to be impressed with your goal, and basically just tell you what you wanted to hear, why start this thread? Are you that sensitive that you can't take hearing the problems inherent to your "plan"?

Come back when you've actually done this. Believe me, I think frugality is a good thing, and I really do hope you succeed. However, It's easy to call others' hikes "pussy-footed" from the confines of your home.

Isn't it amazing how someone that thinks not being able to maintain weight while drinking through a straw is quite an accomplishment, but thru hiking isn't? This kid hasn't done a thing, comes up with a goal that doesn't seem to be researched in the least, and then wants our respect.

Frankly, I'm sick of people that call out their own military service. I did twice as much time, yet I believe this is the first time I've mentioned it on this forum. That's because it doesn't matter. If I want the respect of hikers, I'll earn it through knowledge and time on the trail.

IrishBASTARD
02-16-2012, 04:59

"The intelligence of one man shall wash away the ignorance of so many fools" E. Kelley We show disregard to not only a man but a belief that protects us as we slumber. Without our Military we would not have an A.T or ******** showing up to hike in Benz and the like...we would be a Communist state of mind. All too many of you have become what you have feared most...YOUR PARENTS IN HEART AND MIND. How many of you slobs aka bashers have even done boot camp?! Would I consider hiking the A.T an accomplisment...not on your life. Its an adventure but so is walking outside your door...anything can happen and does. His choosing how he spends his money is his Right...its a privlege for anyone to walk among soldiers and the like. So be proud that you served us regardless of idiots from Canukastan jumping in...he said he was a Soldier he never mentioned Branch. Not all Soldiers are "Army"...utter ignorance knows no age limit.

IrishBASTARD
02-16-2012, 05:06
Isn't it amazing how someone that thinks not being able to maintain weight while drinking through a straw is quite an accomplishment, but thru hiking isn't? This kid hasn't done a thing, comes up with a goal that doesn't seem to be researched in the least, and then wants our respect.

Frankly, I'm sick of people that call out their own military service. I did twice as much time, yet I believe this is the first time I've mentioned it on this forum. That's because it doesn't matter. If I want the respect of hikers, I'll earn it through knowledge and time on the trail. Big man with your headlamp photo album. What did you do again? Um its their RIGHT AS AMERICAN'S...TO SPEAK OF THEIR SERVICE. Your a Damned hypocrite "I did twice as much" *** did you do anyway? How do we even know what you did...no telling us what Branch IF ANY let alone how you scaled your time and what you did. More people need to respect soldiers...they put their lives on the lines every day. Where ever they are were protected in the knowledge they would lay down their lives...as all of us should to protect our Country for today and into the future.

leaftye
02-16-2012, 05:16
How many of you slobs aka bashers have even done boot camp?!

Air Force boot camp is easy. Very easy. I thought it was fun...and amusing. I even gained weight, largely because I couldn't get nearly enough exercise.

This thread is nearly as amusing. In this thread an accomplishment is losing weight while drinking through a straw. Air Force boot camp is tough. Military service is being used to demand respect. The budget is $1,000 so firm that the trip will end early if that's not enough, but already admitted that he might "squeeze a few hundred more dollars into my budget". He's very physically fit person, but has gained 25 pounds of body fat.

As someone else said, this is a troll thread. Just look at what's been said.

leaftye
02-16-2012, 05:28
Big man with your headlamp photo album.

How is that relevant?

What did you do again? Um its their RIGHT AS AMERICAN'S...TO SPEAK OF THEIR SERVICE. Your a Damned hypocrite

As I said, it doesn't matter.

How do we even know what you did...no telling us what Branch IF ANY let alone how you scaled your time and what you did.

I'm sure you could look it up if you really care. I don't care if you know or not. I did my time and did as much as I could. That time is over. My real name is used here if you want to do the research. Some of it may be impossible to learn of though.

More people need to respect soldiers...they put their lives on the lines every day. Where ever they are were protected in the knowledge they would lay down their lives...as all of us should to protect our Country for today and into the future.

I'll respect their service. I don't need to respect the person.

leaftye
02-16-2012, 05:30
he said he was a Soldier he never mentioned Branch. Not all Soldiers are "Army"...utter ignorance knows no age limit.

He mentioned it in another thread. You see, utter ignorance does not exclude you.

Sassafras Lass
02-16-2012, 08:08
So back on topic . . . . . .

All you can do is try. If you think you can do the trip for $1,000, then by all means go out there, do it, and let us know how it went.

BFI
02-16-2012, 08:34
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.......Like F-Stop said "If you think you can do the trip for $1,000, then by all means go out there, do it, and let us know how it went." Or.... Your poor planning or procrastination does not mean it’s my emergency! Good Luck on your Hike!

leaftye
02-16-2012, 12:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GsjLPvW5I

Berserker
02-16-2012, 13:52
Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days). So based on that here are the things to consider:

You need to buy food every day, and preferably should attempt to eat a somewhat rounded diet so as to not lose too much weight.
You need to budget for other consumables (batteries, stove fuel, first aid items, etc.).
You’ll need money to repair or replace and damaged gear.
New footwear will likely need to be purchased at some point.
What if you require treatment for something that can be resolved where you can finish your hike (e.g. many hikers have contracted some type of viral or bacterial ailment, gotten treatment, and been able to finish in the same year). You’ll either need to quit, or budget in money to cover treatment. You’ll also have to plan to recover whilst camping in the woods since there is no budget for a stay in town.
You’ll need to budget money to get to the trail at the start and back home at the end.

So, to conclude you’ll have a budget of $8.33 per day to cover food, other consumables, gear repair/replacement, replacement footwear, potential treatment for a health issue, and travel. I haven’t thru hiked, but after laying all that out it seems to me as though things would pretty much have to go perfect to be able to come in under or at that $1K budget. Plus, none of this even addresses the psychological part of this such as dealing with things like a straight week of rain. Anyway, that’s just my take…good luck.

stranger
02-17-2012, 09:06
Your AT section hike will be great, enjoy it. Amtrak services Staunton, near Waynesboro and also Harpers Ferry, so you will have easy transportation options at the end of your hike.

Good luck and have fun!

jersey joe
02-17-2012, 11:36
this is one of the post that stands out the most for me, joe is a stand up guy,it was great to meet him, and yes he rocked the trail for $1,200. but i can't stop thinking that not only was it 200.00 more than the OP wants to spend on his 2012 thruhike, but joe hiked it in 2002 and portions were bigger and prices on everything were less. not sure if you can(don't know you) but rock on :-)
Thanks Crumb.
Your point is a good one, food prices are much higher now then they were ten years ago...
(which makes me realize that in exactly one month(March 17th) it will be the tenth anniversary of the day I met you on Springer and started my thru hike)

max patch
02-17-2012, 11:54
Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days).

Good thing The Place is closing. If he stayed there he'd only have $3.33 to spend on food that day. Town food.

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2012, 12:58
Thanks Crumb.
Your point is a good one, food prices are much higher now then they were ten years ago...
(which makes me realize that in exactly one month(March 17th) it will be the tenth anniversary of the day I met you on Springer and started my thru hike) didn't call you out to make you feel older :-) everything revolves around the price of gas? food delivery to stores,shuttles ,everything! how much was gas ten years ago?

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2012, 13:01
i always said don't go by that "dollar per mile advice anymore" i think more would be better,but i would advise to at least have a dollar per mile, my two cents

max patch
02-17-2012, 15:21
i always said don't go by that "dollar per mile advice anymore" i think more would be better,but i would advise to at least have a dollar per mile, my two cents

I thru'd on a dollar per mile!

Twenty years ago...

Sly
02-17-2012, 18:21
I thru'd on a dollar per mile!

Twenty years ago...

And some feel it can be done for $.46 today!

If I started with $1000 I wouldn't plan on hiking much past Pearisburg or Troutville. Waynesboro tops.

stranger
02-17-2012, 19:32
I first heard the $1/mile on Five Million Steps, which I believe came out in 1987...I heard it again on 'How To Hike the AT' in 1991, that was 21 years ago!

Call me crazy but is it really all that hard to raise $5000 for one of the best experiences you might ever do? People come up with 5 times that for silly things like weddings and cars...why not hiking?

stranger
02-17-2012, 19:35
And some feel it can be done for $.46 today!

If I started with $1000 I wouldn't plan on hiking much past Pearisburg or Troutville. Waynesboro tops.

Exactly...and Waynesboro would really be a stretch, Pearisburg is about right if his shoes last that long, I usually get right around 500 miles out of trail runners. On $1000, alot of first time hikers I know would be broke in Erwin or Damascus due to 'unforseen' circumstances.

jersey joe
02-17-2012, 21:23
On the morning of my fourth day on the trail(we camped at blood mtn.) many of the people I had camped with the previous two nights stayed at the hostel at Neels Gap.
I had absolutely no desire to stay at a hostel after 3 nights out. It didn't fit with the way that I wanted to hike the trail, to be out in the woods.
I think the vast majority of people have that mindset though(nothing wrong with it), which is why most people suggest bringing more money.

Bender8982
02-18-2012, 03:12
wow. issues. you wanna be a masochist, run this race under 9 hours like me. the AT is not much of a challenge
http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/mmtr/
I must say that i am impressed, and i am sorry TOMP, i didnt mean to say all of that as a quote, i meant to quote you and add to it with my own worlds, i apologize. And sorry to everyone else, i kinda of feel like an ass, i got heated and said some things i didnt mean. Sorry.

Bender8982
02-18-2012, 03:26
Many facts about thru hiking the AT on $1K have been stated, but no one has summarized everything. So using the assumptions from the question that was originally posted, the OP is going to attempt to average 20 mpd and hike the whole trail on $1K. Breaking this down results in about a 4 month trip (a little less 120 days, although a few zeros will likely be required), and an average budget of $8.33 per day (for 120 days). So based on that here are the things to consider:

You need to buy food every day, and preferably should attempt to eat a somewhat rounded diet so as to not lose too much weight.
You need to budget for other consumables (batteries, stove fuel, first aid items, etc.).
You’ll need money to repair or replace and damaged gear.
New footwear will likely need to be purchased at some point.
What if you require treatment for something that can be resolved where you can finish your hike (e.g. many hikers have contracted some type of viral or bacterial ailment, gotten treatment, and been able to finish in the same year). You’ll either need to quit, or budget in money to cover treatment. You’ll also have to plan to recover whilst camping in the woods since there is no budget for a stay in town.
You’ll need to budget money to get to the trail at the start and back home at the end.
So, to conclude you’ll have a budget of $8.33 per day to cover food, other consumables, gear repair/replacement, replacement footwear, potential treatment for a health issue, and travel. I haven’t thru hiked, but after laying all that out it seems to me as though things would pretty much have to go perfect to be able to come in under or at that $1K budget. Plus, none of this even addresses the psychological part of this such as dealing with things like a straight week of rain. Anyway, that’s just my take…good luck.

I appreciate your input, and to address a few things quickly.
I have full health insurance
I have antibiotics in the event that i do contract a bacterial infection, viral would be a different story
the 1k budget does not include travel to the trailhead, that is covered, and i only live about an hour from Katahdin, so thats covered as well.
I also have purchased spare batteries, shoes, and have other back-up gear as well including a spare tent, sleeping bag, and jackets.

does that make it sound any better.
I plan to mail-drop at least 50% of my food, and i estimate needing a new fuel can every 15 days, as i dont plan to cook with it every day.

Again thank you.

Bender8982
02-18-2012, 03:39
Again everyone, i feel i need to address a few things. I seem to have stuck my foot in my mouth in a few ways.
I do not "demand" respect for my military service, i just wanted to use it as a point that i have "stuck it out" before, im not just a kid fresh out of high school talking out my ass.
I realize that my budget is low, i will increase it to at least $1,500, and possibly more. I have dedicated my evenings as of late to the logistics of this trip as you have shown me my how naive and arrogant i was about the hike.
I intentionally gained weight to where i am, i am in great shape, i just consumed more calories then i burned, its very easy to gain weight. ATM my 5K is hovering around <20 mins so im definitely not out of shape.
I was in the Air Force, and its not the same as it was 20 years ago, we have recently adopted almost an identical basic training as the Army.
I was "trolling"
I didnt mean to offend anyone that had completed the AT, or had the experience with hiking to provide insight for my trip.
I was not whining about the people that did offer "constructive criticism" and i am sure that those people are not offended, i simply wanted to point out the people that felt the need to personally attack my statements and my goals, and attempted to offend me. If you did not do this, you will not care, if youre offended, then im talking to you.
My OP did seem juvenile, unprepared and bluntly, a bit dumb. i apologize for the fiery debate that ensued.
Thank you to all that provided the constructive, and useful information that i used to reassess my situation, and make the necessary changes.

Bender8982
02-18-2012, 03:41
I was NOT "trolling" ughh typos

DaSchwartz
02-19-2012, 20:26
to the OP; I say go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen, you're off the trail and out of money after so many days.... You'll still have more adventures and stories then 99 percent of the general population ever will.

Lyle
02-19-2012, 21:34
Definitely not. Not by any normal standards.

If you are asking, I would say no. If you possibly could, you would know the answer, not the folks here on WB.

kayak karl
02-19-2012, 21:43
i was thinking somebody should document hike the cheapest thru they can do and write a book. then i thought, the people who need it couldn't afford it and those that could wouldn't want it.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 21:49
i was thinking somebody should document hike the cheapest thru they can do and write a book. then i thought, the people who need it couldn't afford it and those that could wouldn't want it.

LOL thats great