PDA

View Full Version : Flavor Survey

Sedona Trading Co.
03-21-2005, 08:38
We would like to know what seasonings are used most often in the field. What are the preferences?

Southwest?
Cajun?
Thai?
Italian?

Thanks,
Sedona Trading Company

SGT Rock
03-21-2005, 10:54
#1 Habanero.
#2 Itallian

smokymtnsteve
03-21-2005, 11:03
#3 GARLIC (to go with the Habernero) :banana

Kerosene
03-21-2005, 11:05
I don't do a lot of seasoning, but I like some of the spicier, Southwest-style meals.

lumpy
03-21-2005, 11:52
Personally, I like:

#1 Cajun
#2 Southwestern
#3 Indian: Curry & Garam Masala
#4 Thai
#5 Italian Red Pepper Flakes, and mixed Italian style herbs

schwenkler
03-21-2005, 12:16
#1 Peanut Butter

#2 Italian

kncats
03-21-2005, 12:25
#1 Old Bay Seasoning
#2 Garlic
#3 Red Pepper

BlackCloud
03-21-2005, 17:13
#1 Garlic
#2 Salt
#3 Garlic salt
#4 Onion salt would be nice

Wyoming
03-21-2005, 20:16
Yum, yum.

Halapeno's are great too!

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2005, 21:26
My kitchen setup can have Cholula hot sauce, McCormick hot taco seasoning, lemon juice, olive oil and italian salad dressing packets (from the salad bar), fresh ground black pepper, brown sugar, and salt. I also find interesting non-refridgerated packets from restaurants like apple jelly, salsa, pancake syrup, half-and-half, hot dog relish, "butter", and mayonaise.

lumpy
03-23-2005, 16:26
Excellent idea about using the pre-packaged restaurant condiments like, mayo, mustard, ketchup, S&P, soy sauce, maple syrup, honey, etc... and the best thing is they don't require refrigeration. I've got to have my hot sauce. I use Dave's Insanity Sauce instead of Tabasco because a very small amount goes a very long way. Not that I don't like Tabasco, just the opposite, I love it, however I go through so much of it that it's weight prohibitive so I use Dave's re-packaged in a 1.5 oz squeeze bottle which lasts me a month or so.

hikerjohnd
03-23-2005, 16:44
coriander, garlic salt, turmeric - w/ a little corn starch makes an excellent chicken rub
Ground Cumin, Ground Ginger, Garlic Powder, Ground Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Thyme - anoother excellent blend for puoltry seasoning
sage, ginger, and pepper - good pork combonation (if making a sauce add garlic powder and thyme)
Onion powder, oregano, paprika, and black pepper for beef
Fennel Seed, ground ginger, chili powder, garlic powder - w/ beef
minced onions, Season-All, garlic powder, black pepper, allspice - mixed into ground meat for meatballs
What an I say - I like to eat well on short trips!

Doctari
03-23-2005, 22:40
I like almost all the above. Would like to second third & forth CURRY!!!!

YUM!

Doctari.

lumpy
03-31-2005, 21:17
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I got to have Old Bay Seasoning for seafood, chix, rice or almost anything else.

Sedona Trading Co.
04-07-2005, 17:08
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I got to have Old Bay Seasoning for seafood, chix, rice or almost anything else.
Hey Lumpy,

Thanks for the feedback. While our intentions of using this forum is not to sell, but to learn, you should try our Hatteras Seasoning if you are an Old Bay fan. We think ours is even better than OBSeasoning! We have a southwestern, and are working on the Cajun, Thai, and Indian! Thanks again for the feedback!

Scott

Oracle
04-07-2005, 20:16
#1 for me would be Thai, I generally like panang curry as opposed to the more typical red or green curry mix, powdered coconut milk, fish sauce, thai chili sauce, etc.

#2 is usually Indian curry, garam masala, with some cardamon and saffron (or spanish azafran powder)

digger51
04-08-2005, 19:54
Tobasco and those Taco Bell packets for varying levels of hot.

Rain Man
04-09-2005, 21:02
I shared these flavor capsules with several thru-hikers this weekend in the GSMNP on my section hike. All gave a thumbs-up to the product.

One "new and improved" idea was to put the flavor name on the capsules, as carrying a different bag for each flavor would be impractical.

Anyway, it's a great idea and works well.

Rain:sunMan

orangebug
04-09-2005, 21:18
I like Tony's Cajun for spiking up dull pasta or dehydrated fish. Garlic powder is always welcome.

I tend to lurk around Krystal's and liberate the honey and mustard.

Baldy
04-09-2005, 21:59
1. Salt
2. Pepper

Cause I'm "a simple kind of man."

Sedona Trading Co.
04-12-2005, 12:54
Rainman,

Thanks for the great feedback. Stay tuned on the idea of names on the capsules. We hope to have this completed by the end of summer.

Scott
Sedona Trading Co.

I shared these flavor capsules with several thru-hikers this weekend in the GSMNP on my section hike. All gave a thumbs-up to the product.

One "new and improved" idea was to put the flavor name on the capsules, as carrying a different bag for each flavor would be impractical.

Anyway, it's a great idea and works well.

Rain:sunMan

SGT Rock
04-12-2005, 13:10
I just got that hot pepper powder in. Good heat and a good flavor too - not just heat. How much do you expect you will put in a capsul?

NICKTHEGREEK
04-12-2005, 13:38
Greek- Nothing beats freeze dried feta and Calamata olives.

Sedona Trading Co.
04-13-2005, 09:11
SGT Rock,

Glad to hear you like the HabaJala! We plan to put a 1/4 teaspoon in each capsule.

We also just completed our Great Lakes Seasoning and are now working on Cajun, Indian, Basic Blend (salt, pepper, garlic), and Greek Seasoning blends. We will soon have cooking oils available in premeasured, easy-to-use packages. These will be single use quantities of oil (initially olive oil), so you will not need to take a bottle or transfer into a smaller bottle.

Another item in the works is a Barbeque Sauce mix and Coconut Thai Sauce mix that is dry. All you need to do is add water and heat to make a great tasting sauce.

Just trying to flavor the outdoor world!

Regards,
Scott

I just got that hot pepper powder in. Good heat and a good flavor too - not just heat. How much do you expect you will put in a capsul?