PDA

View Full Version : collecting unemployment

ncmtns
02-15-2012, 19:18
Just wondering... has anyone ever heard of collecting their unemployment while hiking the trail? Maybe putting in applications on a town day? I know states have their own particulars...

TOMP
02-15-2012, 19:23
Well if you do or did, its illegal. You are supposed to be actively looking for work as the agreement form that you sign when applying states. Can they catch you probably not. Would I recommend it? No to me its not a good moral choice but to each thier own. I wonder how many government "sponsored" hikes have been paid for though.

Ron Haven
02-15-2012, 19:33
It happens all the time now. Many of the middle age hikers who are laid off is doing it..

JAK
02-15-2012, 20:03
No No No Yes No
Canadian joke.

jbwood5
02-15-2012, 20:05
I was receiving unemployment while laid off and was hiking the trail. I asked for a job at every outfitter store I stopped at (i.e. Port Clinton, NOC, Damascus, Neel's Gap, etc.) and if I was in town I asked at Hardware stores and occasionally a grocery store. I kept a log of all the contacts, filled out the State form and mailed it in. That should have been perfectly legal, even though I got no offers.

Old Boots
02-15-2012, 21:07
how can make the number of contacts per week that are required while hiking the Trail?

HiKen2011
02-15-2012, 21:15
how can make the number of contacts per week that are required while hiking the Trail?

Just curious, how many are required? Does anyone know?

4shot
02-15-2012, 21:24
This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo.

jj2044
02-15-2012, 21:26
why would you come here and ask ?? im sure you smart enough to know your not really SUPPOST to go hiking. Are you looking for someone to tell you its fine go and do it ?? Do people do it ?? Yep. Do people hike on foodstamps? Yep. are you suppost do those things ?? NOT REALLY

Hiken2011, in texas its 3 contacts a week- not sure about other states.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2012, 21:26
This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo.

an employee pays into unemployment compensation. it ain't welfare

Not Sunshine
02-15-2012, 21:28

I'm with 4shot. Agree.

HiKen2011
02-15-2012, 21:29

That's a good point!

jj2044
02-15-2012, 21:31
Lone wolf i agree completely, with the extended benefits, anything after the first 26 weeks( or is it 20) is fed funded, not employee funded.

bulldog49
02-15-2012, 21:31

No, the employer does. The cost of unemployment is ultimately paid by everyone. So, yea, it is a lot like welfare.

bus
02-15-2012, 21:38
In Florida it is 5 per week.

ALLEGHENY
02-15-2012, 21:41

0,if you are in a union.:banana

4shot
02-15-2012, 21:50

are you saying that a person receives back only what they put in? If so, great.If not,then it is a form of welfare.

karo
02-15-2012, 21:51
0,if you are in a union.:banana
Allegheny you are correct, unfortunately it only lasts a certain period that you do not have to look for work and there are other stipulations. It is still no picnic, I was laid off indefinitely for almost 2 years. I could not leave my family during that time so no thru hike for me. I now work in Ohio and don't know when I will get to return home. But I am thankful I have a job and my time towards retirement is still ticking.

HiKen2011
02-15-2012, 21:55
are you saying that a person receives back only what they put in? If so, great.If not,then it is a form of welfare.

I'm pretty sure the employee pays in to unemployment insurance. People who have worked for 25-30 yrs probably paid in more than they would receive in 12-18 months. Just a guess though, I haven't received a payroll check in several yrs so can't reference a check stub.

kayak karl
02-15-2012, 22:08
i worked for 34 yrs and my employer paid into my fund. they gave me $480 a week for 18 months. it was great.
but the $110,00.00 job w/benefits was better.

bulldog49
02-15-2012, 22:21
i worked for 34 yrs and my employer paid into my fund. they gave me $480 a week for 18 months. it was great.

I am an accountant, I pay our companies unemployment premiums every quarter. Perhaps there are a few states where the employee pays a portion of the state premium, most are 100% paid by the employer. The Federal unemployment tax is 100% paid by employers. That is a fact, look it up.

kayak karl
02-15-2012, 22:25
hiked the last 2 months of it. kayaked every day thru the rest.

soilman
02-15-2012, 22:27
In most states the employer pays into the fund, not the employee. My experience is that many people abuse the system to a certain extent. Remember the Seinfeld episode with George and Vandelay Industries?

kayak karl
02-15-2012, 22:27
I am an accountant, I pay our companies unemployment premiums every quarter. Perhaps there are a few states where the employee pays a portion of the state premium, most are 100% paid by the employer. The Federal unemployment tax is 100% paid by employers. That is a fact, look it up.
NJ employer pays all work comp. i know because i am self employed now and pay for employees.

Camping Dave
02-15-2012, 22:59
Just wondering... has anyone ever heard of collecting their unemployment while hiking the trail? Maybe putting in applications on a town day? I know states have their own particulars...

I like it. Go UL and mooch food. Then tell your benefactors how you're financing the trip after you mooch. Too funny.

Wise Old Owl
02-15-2012, 23:25
4 shot LW is RIGHT! when you are working your employer and the employee pays for that situation... so you are off base - IT IS NOT WELFARE! -wrong.......

After reading more that was an emotional answer.... we all pay into the "insurance" and government supplements after it runs out.... I had old information as things really do change.... We all pay in every day... a little and it goes into a group coffer. to be paid to others who need it until the cut off..... Then they fall off the count.

In most states the employer pays into the fund, not the employee. My experience is that many people abuse the system to a certain extent. Remember the Seinfeld episode with George and Vandelay Industries?

Series? you base your information on TV? wow.......

And I asked my wife on your employment check its the "PA Unempl EE" or state witholding $1.44 per 2 weeks..Yea you pay a little look again at your state wihholdings....

prain4u
02-15-2012, 23:27
In Illinois--for the extended benefits (after 26 weeks)--the rules are as follows (from the official State Website):

"You must make a sustained and systematic effort to find work. You must have at least five employer contacts per week and apply for work on at least three days during each week you are claiming. Your efforts to find work must be continuous throughout the week. On each normal work day, you must take some positive action to find work. If there is a day in which you make no employer contacts, you must, for example, prepare a resume, contact a union or professional organization, etc. You must look for work that pays the minimum wage or your weekly benefit amount including any supplemental unemployment benefits, whichever is more."

ALLEGHENY
02-15-2012, 23:29
Allegheny you are correct, unfortunately it only lasts a certain period that you do not have to look for work and there are other stipulations. It is still no picnic, I was laid off indefinitely for almost 2 years. I could not leave my family during that time so no thru hike for me. I now work in Ohio and don't know when I will get to return home. But I am thankful I have a job and my time towards retirement is still ticking.

I have not worked much in the past few years so UC is not very much. I will not file for benefits on my thru, It's not worth the lose of future benefits if found out. I'm betting that the economy gets better when I'm done.
I hope you get back home and work picks up for you Karo.

ALLEGHENY
02-15-2012, 23:37
I have always thought it was unemployment insurance that my employer and I payed for, not welfare.

Wise Old Owl
02-15-2012, 23:43

in Ohio requires hours not apps talking 120 hours per month - to employers and would last three months.... after that, screwed. Volunteer or die....

Volunteer is working in a soup kitchen or retirement hospice....Seriously I have a relative in that situation....

I don't mind the thread - lets all really try to avoid the polotics to keep this dialog open....

kayak karl
02-15-2012, 23:46
In Illinois--for the extended benefits (after 26 weeks)--the rules are as follows (from the official State Website):

"You must make a sustained and systematic effort to find work. You must have at least five employer contacts per week and apply for work on at least three days during each week you are claiming. Your efforts to find work must be continuous throughout the week. On each normal work day, you must take some positive action to find work. If there is a day in which you make no employer contacts, you must, for example, prepare a resume, contact a union or professional organization, etc. You must look for work that pays the minimum wage or your weekly benefit amount including any supplemental unemployment benefits, whichever is more."

they told me, go hiked. you ain't getting no yob.

handlebar
02-15-2012, 23:53
This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo. While I agree that hikers should, indeed, be self-sufficient, you are not, at least not directly, financing another's hike. (Of course, if you buy a product or service provided by the hiker's current or former employer, you are helping to finance his/her hike through her/his earnings form that employment.)

Unemployment compensation is (or at least was) financed by a tax on employees' pay. IIRC, employers pay 1% of the first $8000/yr. The rate is increased based on the "experience" of the employer: if the employer regularly lays people off, then it pays more.

Sailing_Faith
02-15-2012, 23:54
No, the employer does. The cost of unemployment is ultimately paid by everyone. So, yea, it is a lot like welfare.

Yup. Not really sure what else to say...

It is something though, the idea that an employer has to pay for someone because they used to work for them....

... I have a lot to say, but will respect the non-political nature of this board.

Nutbrown
02-16-2012, 00:02
cmon kids. whether you view unemployment as welfare or not, getting back to the OP...yeah, it is unethical and crap if you hike while collecting.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 02:12

Classic, but in NJ they dont even ask if you have been looking for work, you just say that you did if you want to collect. Its the honor system and its wide open for abuse. Also in NJ a little comes out of every check to pay for your up to one year of unemployment. With the recession I think you can do 2 years if you can prove if you qualify and I dont know what qualify would entail. So if you work 30 years and then get laid off you are probably getting back what you put in. But under 5 years its mostly the government giving you money.

Rasty
02-16-2012, 02:36
Much of the cost of unemployment is paid by taxpayers. Much of this cost is coming frim the professionally unemployed. I waste time often interviewing potential applicants that have no intention of being hired. They tell you things about disliking the type of position they are applying for. North Carolina has about a 10% unemployment rate and we struggle to find applicants with the desire to do the jobs. We can teach skills but cannot teach desire.

In my opinion taking a five to six month vacation while drawing unemployment is wrong.

Bronk
02-16-2012, 02:46
Employers look at it as it costs me X amount of dollars to have an employee, so it matters not whether unemployment insurance is paid out of a person's salary or if "the employer pays it" for the simple reason that the money is always coming from the employer to begin with...its a cost of having an employee and paid for the benefit of the employee.

And its an insurance program...one that is mandatory...you don't get a choice...you have to have it. If some people can get back out of the system money which was forcibly taken from them to begin with I have a hard time arguing that they shouldn't do it.

And its pretty funny how many recipients suddenly find a job in the last two weeks before their unemployment runs out.

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Vermont, New Hampshire, Oklahoma City...these are all places where the unemployment rate is about 5% or lower...if I lost my job tomorrow I'd be packing up and moving to one of these places, at least temporarily.

IrishBASTARD
02-16-2012, 06:03
This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo. I'm not comfortable in the way...my tax money paid for your poor educational upbringing. As I have said in other posts...everyone pays into unemployment regardless if they dont its illegal. Good idea from the member who went to each shop to apply...a legal way and truly a unique way of finding employment.

moytoy
02-16-2012, 07:09
http://unemploymenthandbook.com/unemployment-articles/all-about-unemployment/115-what-you-need-to-know-about-fraud-and-unemployment-benefits
"Simply put unemployment insurance fraud is a crime in every state and punishable with fines and even imprisonment."

4shot
02-16-2012, 07:28
I'm not comfortable in the way...my tax money paid for your poor educational upbringing. As I have said in other posts...everyone pays into unemployment regardless if they dont its illegal.

My poor educational upbringing? LOL. as far as the second part of your post, there is conflicting data within this thread rom what I can tell as to whether or not an employee contibutes anything to unemployment insurance. Some say it is all from the employer which then is distributed back through the government. Of course, I do have poor reading comprehension and am too lazy to do my research.Does this entitle me to anything?....I'd like to hike again.;)

Jeffrey Scott Wise
02-16-2012, 07:38
After 20 years of mind numbing corporate world, paying taxes, paying unemployment for people to sit on thier tails, do nothing, not look for jobs and rob the system....its my way of getting back. Its going to be a remarkable time when the entitlest movement discovers people will stop giving!

daddytwosticks
02-16-2012, 08:05
Sadly, I believe the greatest days of our nation are behind us...:(

nitewalker
02-16-2012, 08:11
Well if you do or did, its illegal. You are supposed to be actively looking for work as the agreement form that you sign when applying states. Can they catch you probably not. Would I recommend it? No to me its not a good moral choice but to each thier own. I wonder how many government "sponsored" hikes have been paid for though.

no necessarily true. i collect every winter without having to perform work search. i have a return date every year that allows me to skip the job search. if you have a return date they will not make you perform the job search in some cases maybe not all. just sayin...

nitewalker
02-16-2012, 08:14

exactly. the employer puts into the unemployment fund.

jbwood5
02-16-2012, 09:06
no necessarily true. i collect every winter without having to perform work search. i have a return date every year that allows me to skip the job search. if you have a return date they will not make you perform the job search in some cases maybe not all. just sayin...

This is no longer true in Florida. My wife is laid off and already has a start date at the company that originally laid her off. She has tried to get an exemption from performing job searches and applying for 5 jobs per week (or take the 8 hour class instead). The new law in Florida no longer considers a re-call date with letter-in-hand a reason not to apply for 5 jobs. Both her and her employer hope she does not receive an offer. The employer wants trained individuals to come in and be 100% productive the first day, and the employee does not to go through a new training regiment and risk that they may not be suitable for the new job.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 14:17

This crazy government. This must be the paid vacation clause. hahah

jbwood5
02-16-2012, 14:24
This crazy government. This must be the paid vacation clause. hahah

Well, usually unemployment compensation is less than 1/2 of what your job take home was. Plus, if you had any health insurance through work, you loose that... and if you know you need insurance, COBRA costs as much as your unemployment take home. Not exactly a vacation. You better have something saved until you get a job.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 16:08
Well, usually unemployment compensation is less than 1/2 of what your job take home was. Plus, if you had any health insurance through work, you loose that... and if you know you need insurance, COBRA costs as much as your unemployment take home. Not exactly a vacation. You better have something saved until you get a job.

As the topic is people going on vacation, thru-hiking, while on unemployment, in that context what I said is accurate. I know a job, well a good job with benefits, is the way to go.

timmy_toes
02-16-2012, 17:27
I have a friend who may or may not do this, kinda jealous of him for being able to. His boss pays into his unemployment so it only effects the company and there both ok with it

txag
02-16-2012, 17:30
I had the option of hiking this trail while on unemployment but decided against it. Could have legitimately conducted my job search and other communications from my Droid on the trail. It is just not worth the trouble if you get caught plus I legitimately wanted a job. Turns out I should have been on the trail as nothing happened.

Now there are more jobs but you have to be in the right location. In this economy nobody is moving anybody. You have to sell your house and take a $30K hit to move after fees and expenses.

There are some generalizations that should be corrected. It is hard to live on unemployment alone. If you are getting $1500/month and have a house payment - you are living on savings. It is just a stop gap assistance. I am sure there are exceptions that abuse and milk the system.

Drugs and public assistance...guess lots of people think that this happens a lot. After seeing the resuolts of the Florida experiment (2% users) with no financial savings after $178 million implementation cost. If you don't have any MONEY, then you can't buy any DRUGS.

bamboo bob
02-16-2012, 17:38
Not in my state. Only employers pay for federal unemployment and at least in MA it's all employer paid as is workers comp but it may vary by state.

I hike with a Gulf War Vet who got a check for his back injury from the VA. Unlike unemployment he paid for it.

Monkeywrench
02-16-2012, 19:10
Doesn't really matter who pays into it; the rules in the states I've lived in -- and I imagine the others are all similar -- require that you be available for work and that you be actively looking for work. If you are out in the woods 4 out of every 5 days, you are certainly not available for or actively seeking work.

nitewalker
02-16-2012, 19:35
This is no longer true in Florida. My wife is laid off and already has a start date at the company that originally laid her off. She has tried to get an exemption from performing job searches and applying for 5 jobs per week (or take the 8 hour class instead). The new law in Florida no longer considers a re-call date with letter-in-hand a reason not to apply for 5 jobs. Both her and her employer hope she does not receive an offer. The employer wants trained individuals to come in and be 100% productive the first day, and the employee does not to go through a new training regiment and risk that they may not be suitable for the new job.

i cant figure it out. i have made the same money for the last 5 yrs and my unemployment is different every year. i am taking home double what i took home last year on unemployment. last year i think they gave me the shaft somehow. i collect for 3 months every winter for the last 12 years and have yet to perform one job search. like i said i cant figure it out..i dont push the issue.....

nitewalker
02-16-2012, 19:45
to answer the op's question. if you think you can hike on unemployment go rite ahead and do it. in ct u can go online to file a claim or call it in. u can get direct deposit or get a state issued unemployment debt card.. if u have to perform a job searh while hiking it could become troublesome at times.. good luck!!

Sly
02-16-2012, 19:47

I would think unemployment insurance is a benefit of working. If you get laid off you're entitled to unemployment, and could seek work while hiking.

Sly
02-16-2012, 19:53
In most states the employer pays into the fund, not the employee.

It's considered part of the total compensation package, like sick days etc.

Sly
02-16-2012, 20:06
I had the option of hiking this trail while on unemployment but decided against it. Could have legitimately conducted my job search and other communications from my Droid on the trail. It is just not worth the trouble if you get caught plus I legitimately wanted a job.

Caught what? You said you could have legitimately searched for work via your Droid on the trail. You lso could have also asked for work at two or three places in every town.

hikerboy57
02-16-2012, 20:58
so what happens when you make your claim while on the trail, and they find a position open for you to go on an interview?are you intersted in thru hiking, or finding a job. theyre more or less exclusive .and if you're not interested in finding work, then collecting unemployment benefits is highly immoral.

Sly
02-16-2012, 21:15
so what happens when you make your claim while on the trail, and they find a position open for you to go on an interview?are you intersted in thru hiking, or finding a job. theyre more or less exclusive .and if you're not interested in finding work, then collecting unemployment benefits is highly immoral.

I can agree with that, especially if it's a job in your field of expertise.

Alligator
02-16-2012, 22:46
OK folks, keep the politics out of this and the merits of having an unemployment insurance benefit out as well. There are 50 states each with their own rules. It is surely possible that someone could be in full compliance with the law and still be out hiking. So please stick to the original question.

Thanks.

Sly
02-16-2012, 22:53
Sorry about that. For a minute I thought I was on Facebook. :D

Juice
02-17-2012, 01:36
Think what you will but I would if I could, but I can't so I won't!

restless
02-18-2012, 20:05
I'm glad to see that many people on here feel that thru-hiking while collecting unemployment is wrong. Whether or not UI can be considered welfare couold be debated; what is not debatable is the fact that the person collecting must be actively looking for work. I have been collecting UI for 10 weeks. Each week I am required, according to the state of Virginia, to make 4 contacts each week. If I move, I am required to register with the local unemployment office in the new place. Each week, I am required to report those contacts. I must be available and willing to work. If not, I cannot collect UI. Sure, I could lie but then my moral character would become more obvious. If caught, I could be required to repay all the benefits I have collected. I don't have that kind of green. So, I look for work. I report my contacts. And because I do the right thing, I find a job (yes they are still available, you just have to look). If you choose to hike while collecting UI though, go ahead. You'll be in great company with all the other hikers who feel they are entitled to special treatment and are exempt from the rules.

Hoofit
02-18-2012, 20:32
I met a couple of guys in Damascus that were signing on in the local town libraries as they thru=hiked the whole trail
they had two years of payments coming to them

daddytwosticks
02-19-2012, 17:59
I'm glad to see that many people on here feel that thru-hiking while collecting unemployment is wrong. Whether or not UI can be considered welfare couold be debated; what is not debatable is the fact that the person collecting must be actively looking for work. I have been collecting UI for 10 weeks. Each week I am required, according to the state of Virginia, to make 4 contacts each week. If I move, I am required to register with the local unemployment office in the new place. Each week, I am required to report those contacts. I must be available and willing to work. If not, I cannot collect UI. Sure, I could lie but then my moral character would become more obvious. If caught, I could be required to repay all the benefits I have collected. I don't have that kind of green. So, I look for work. I report my contacts. And because I do the right thing, I find a job (yes they are still available, you just have to look). If you choose to hike while collecting UI though, go ahead. You'll be in great company with all the other hikers who feel they are entitled to special treatment and are exempt from the rules. Well said. :)

SouthMark
02-19-2012, 18:51
The UC program is unique among U.S. social insurance programs in that it is funded almost TOTALY by either federal or state taxes paid by EMPLOYERS.

mountainman
02-19-2012, 19:00

This is not true at least not in NC. I own a business and umemployment insurance is paid buy the employer and they have to repaid all money drawn against them.

MJW155
02-19-2012, 19:47
What do you guys think of people collecting disability while hiking? A friend of mine who is deaf is thinking of hiking w/ me. I don't have a problem with it. (I invited him) But I'm curious as to what others may think. If it's a problem, we'll just say he's retired or whatever.

Nutbrown
02-19-2012, 20:32
disability for being deaf? Did it happen as an accident? The only reason I ask is I have been an ASL interpretor and have known many Deaf people. I think they would be pissed if other people thought they should be on disability just because they were deaf. ...but I wouldn't have a problem with hiking while on disability.

DaSchwartz
02-19-2012, 20:40

Incorrect. It's the employer who pays into the unemployment fund, the employee pays nothing, unless they are self-employed.

DaSchwartz
02-19-2012, 20:44
What do you guys think of people collecting disability while hiking?. No problem with it but don't mention on the trail that you or your friend are collecting it either. It will only lead to sour grapes.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2012, 21:36
Ok just got off the phone with a Lawyer who has many employees - a relative of mine - Some states are different and here is what it is for PA/NJ - its a safety net of insurance -- in the last ten years things have changed - the employer and the employee pay the state money for the fund... in the short term its a safety net.. because we are in difficult times the govt has been supplementing it... as he put it the longer you stay out at $500 a week there is no incentive to apply to get a job again if offered 700 dollars a week, when you can do nothing until the benefit runs out... hence the unemployment rate is huge due to folks that haven't worked in two or three years not being counted - so when - its 9percent - it obvious its higher.... and can be construed as welfare after a while....

so if you hike while collecting - I would be disappointed - and I hope you keep it to yourself around the campfire at the shelter.

MJW155
02-19-2012, 21:49
disability for being deaf? Did it happen as an accident? The only reason I ask is I have been an ASL interpretor and have known many Deaf people. I think they would be pissed if other people thought they should be on disability just because they were deaf. ...but I wouldn't have a problem with hiking while on disability.

He had menegitis as a baby. It doesn't surprise me that people in the deaf community would be offended. I know a lot of deaf people don't think they have a disability.

Panzer1
02-19-2012, 22:03
work is good for you.

Panzer

Lostone
02-19-2012, 22:27
Guess, I am an up standing kinda guy........

I would not hike while receiving an unemployment check and pretending to look for a job as I hiked.

I would not hike while on disability........

Just isn't how I roll

Rasty
02-19-2012, 22:39
Really depends on the disability. Sometimes disability is for terminal diseases. If you have two years to then spending time doing what you love while you can is OK. Not sure being deaf qualifies as a disability without any job possibilities.

Guess, I am an up standing kinda guy........

I would not hike while receiving an unemployment check and pretending to look for a job as I hiked.

I would not hike while on disability........

Just isn't how I roll

MJW155
02-19-2012, 22:54
Really depends on the disability. Sometimes disability is for terminal diseases. If you have two years to then spending time doing what you love while you can is OK. Not sure being deaf qualifies as a disability without any job possibilities.

He's been collecting disability since he was 18 for the medical insurance. He has had jobs as well. He's out of work now and that's why he might hike. As far as I know he's not collecting unemployment.

Badspeller
02-19-2012, 23:19
No problem with it but don't mention on the trail that you or your friend are collecting it either. It will only lead to sour grapes.

For the record I am 100% disabled, I have been disabled for 30+ years. I will be hiking the trial in 2012. If you, anyone or someone would like to discriminate against handicapped people, I would sure love to hear their reasoning for being so bigoted. What the F? My 21 year old son and I will be hiking this year, and from the tone and attitudes I see on this forum, I can see that I am glad I will be bringing a hiking partner; I really hope to stay away from any narrow minded bigots on the AT who feel disabled people like myself are somehow less than welcome on the Appalachian Trail.

MJW155
02-19-2012, 23:43
For the record I am 100% disabled, I have been disabled for 30+ years. I will be hiking the trial in 2012. If you, anyone or someone would like to discriminate against handicapped people, I would sure love to hear their reasoning for being so bigoted. What the F? My 21 year old son and I will be hiking this year, and from the tone and attitudes I see on this forum, I can see that I am glad I will be bringing a hiking partner; I really hope to stay away from any narrow minded bigots on the AT who feel disabled people like myself are somehow less than welcome on the Appalachian Trail.

I agree. I don't have a problem with it. But people don't realize that deaf people are handicapped. If someone is blind, you know he's blind. He's got a walking cane, a dog, ect. If he's paralyzed, you know it. But it's not so obvious w/ a person is deaf. I thought it was funny when someone mentioned getting a job. Who's going to hire someone that can't hear a phone or the door when someone knocks on it? LOL.

RORY CALHOUN
02-20-2012, 11:35
we are all in this thing called life together and some are aware of this more than others.
Practicing walking with full pack with differing weights through the lake "deed restricted" etc. community where i currently keep clothes, with two
Australian pups one of the 4 police officers (yes this community even is it's own political body) stopped me because a "neighbor" thought it "odd" and what was my business in this upscale place (also growing facial hair i intend to shave when i reach the Maine summit). So i look like an "unemployed" burglar.
When one drives through the diminished sections of large cities does one assume every individual has wrong intentions?
i personally welcome all hikers on the trail as i meet them-the long the short and the tall. With no opinion on their walk through life only where it intersects with mine. thank you and good night.

Wuff
02-20-2012, 12:35
IMO, go hiking and file the claims online. If you want to use all your benefits while hiking its up to you - or you could use the benefits while searching for a job. Don't listen to the haters.

My wife and I traveled through Spain while she was unemployed. We were able to file our claims online from Madrid. Not only was she not looking for work, we were pumping the money straight into the Euro economy, trying our best to fix the broken economy there. It didn't work. :)

Pedaling Fool
02-20-2012, 13:03
Not only was she not looking for work, we were pumping the money straight into the Euro economy, trying our best to fix the broken economy there. It didn't work. :)No it didn't work http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/19/spanish-protest-spending-cuts-labour but you know what they say, If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...:)

dragoro
02-20-2012, 14:04
People that try collecting unemployment while walkin the trail are the scum of the earth. Period. No excuses.

dragoro
02-20-2012, 14:06
Oh and for what its worth, Ive forwared this thread to the govt.

MJW155
02-20-2012, 17:05

Meh, HYOH.

I wouldn't collect it while hiking but it's not my business if someone else wants to do it. It's not w/o risks. If you get caught doing it, you can be in a lot of trouble.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 18:17
Oh and for what its worth, Ive forwared this thread to the govt. [sic]

Wow, that is crazy. I wonder if George Orwell knew that big brother would come in the form of a hiking enthusiast from Michigan. I guess in some peoples mind, if you can't force other people to believe the way you do, you can act like a six year old and tattle-tale. Why not just let people hike and not cast your nay-saying upon them? It’s a sad state of affairs in America, when person can be shunned for spending their unemployment INSURANCE the way they want to. I suppose there are rules around UI and how it’s doled out, but what kind of person is such a hater that they can’t just say oh heck, and go on with their own business. Childish, immature, infantile and just frigging saddddddd! I know they guy wanted opinions, but turning in to a stoolie and reporting other hikers to the government is just, well frigging saddddddd. I am sure this kind of crybaby behavior will help you make many friends on the AT.

Uncle Walkie
02-20-2012, 18:17

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. Could you get away with it? Probably. Is it right? Absolutely not.

To do this one must lack character. A thru hike is a goal and dream which should not be financed by a slacker abusing the system. Unemployment should be a temporary relief while one strives to obtain a job

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 18:28
[sic]

Wow, that is crazy. I wonder if George Orwell knew that big brother would come in the form of a hiking enthusiast from Michigan. I guess in some peoples mind, if you can't force other people to believe the way you do, you can act like a six year old and tattle-tale. Why not just let people hike and not cast your nay-saying upon them? It’s a sad state of affairs in America, when person can be shunned for spending their unemployment INSURANCE the way they want to. I suppose there are rules around UI and how it’s doled out, but what kind of person is such a hater that they can’t just say oh heck, and go on with their own business. Childish, immature, infantile and just frigging saddddddd! I know they guy wanted opinions, but turning in to a stoolie and reporting other hikers to the government is just, well frigging saddddddd. I am sure this kind of crybaby behavior will help you make many friends on the AT.
wouldnt worry too much, i wonder which govt he has in mind.
look at it this way. there is a limited amount of resources available to help those in need. if you chosse to abuse the system, it would logically mean less resources available for those who really need them. the rest is a matter of conscience.

restless
02-20-2012, 18:51
[sic]

Well, he can count me as a friend on the trail. First of all, hiking while collecting unemployment is unethical. The OP obviously has no intentions of finding a job so basically he is committing fraud. Call it what you will, it is illegal. Secondly, if you want to find "childish, immature, infantile" behavior, look no father than the trail itself. Each year, people hike on limited funds thinking it can be done. They state that they don't need hostels, meals out and such but when the rubber meets the road, these are the same people who will go to town, buy a six pack of beer and yet stiff a hostel owner of their livelihood by not leaving a donation. People like this have caused fine places along the trail to cease operation. For too long, hikers have overlooked the actions of others that have negatively reflected on the hiking community as a whole. It is about damn time somebody started calling them on the carpet. I would rather be despised for doing the right thing, than to be accepted in spite of doing something illegal. It is a sad state of affairs in America when a person can be shunned for reporting what isa crime, plain and simple.

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 18:52

dont listen to all the naysayers. everyone has their own opinion on things and i tend to agree with you on hiking with a handicap. disabilities, now thats another ball game. to me some disabilities are a wide range of fraud. most people who are disabled can do things when they want too but use the disabilty excuse when they dont want too do something. i see it all the time. for those who are really disabled i feel for them but to those who fake it, they can go to H E double hockey sticks.. make sure you dont let the talk on this site knock you down...have a great hike!!

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 18:53
IMO, go hiking and file the claims online. If you want to use all your benefits while hiking its up to you - or you could use the benefits while searching for a job. Don't listen to the haters.

My wife and I traveled through Spain while she was unemployed. We were able to file our claims online from Madrid. Not only was she not looking for work, we were pumping the money straight into the Euro economy, trying our best to fix the broken economy there. It didn't work. :)

bravo!!!! is there a like button on this site?:banana

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 18:55

i thought mr perfect was a wrestler not a backpacker...

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 19:04
im gonna hike the trail on unemployment. my intent is to hike north and file my claims along the way until i find a job. i will file four claims weekly from four differrent businesses along the way. now if every application is refused for hire and i find no job but i finish the trail. my question to all of you is. am i frauding the system or am i just offending some of you.. seems totally legit to me, im trying to find a job but nobody will hire me.......this is all hypothetical

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 19:13
Hypothetically, Nitewalker. I doubt anybody would seriously look for a job on the trail if they planned a thru-hike. So that would be just a sham to keep the money I think. I would not do it, and like I said I've met people getting various kind of checks that I doubt the check writer would agree with. I liked the people and I guess people do what they got to do. if it's a moral issue you are concerned with than it may be somewhat similar to getting a leave of absence from your job to hike knowing it was just in case and having no intention of returning. Not illegal but not "what would Jesus do" either. Hopefully when the hiker finishes his hike he will go get a taxpaying job eventually and not lead a life of crime.

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 19:16
i agree. im still looking for a way to take 5 months off work to do a complete thru.
but what does your heart tell you?
mine has rarely steered me wrong

Wombat Farm
02-20-2012, 19:23
I think you should have left this one alone....seriously...I can understand wanting to do something that makes you feel better while unemployed (fortunately I've never been unemployed..not rubbing in just saying) but I hate to think that my future social security or working family (I'm in Australia now but have family there) are paying for your hike. No offence but really...if you're going to take 5 months away from home to hike, drop your unemployment and wing it the old fashioned way.

SouthMark
02-20-2012, 19:32
im gonna hike the trail on unemployment. my intent is to hike north and file my claims along the way until i find a job. i will file four claims weekly from four differrent businesses along the way. now if every application is refused for hire and i find no job but i finish the trail. my question to all of you is. am i frauding the system or am i just offending some of you.. seems totally legit to me, im trying to find a job but nobody will hire me.......this is all hypothetical

It is all about intent. Do you plan on accepting a job if it is offered? If you do not then your benefits should be terminated. Companies Unemployment Benefits Insurance rate is determined by the claims against it. If the company that you were terminated from new of your plans it is a simple matter for them to demand a hearing and if the Unemployment Benefits Board finds in their favor your benefits would be denied. When someone files for unemployment benefit the board send the employer a form to fill out as to whether the person filling the claim should qualify. I know because I have disputed a couple of my employees claims before and the board found in my favor.

And I agree with the poster above that said he would report you. Maybe we should just forward a copy of this thread to your former employer. I would because it is people like you that cause businesses and other employees to suffer. There are no free lunches. Someone has to pay even for the leeches of the world.

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 19:35

if you want to sell cars on Long Island, go hike and PM me when you get back.

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 19:44
so all the unemployed people who have been out of work for two or three years were never offered a job during that time. sounds odd to me. therre are plenty of jobs out there. its all about what type of money will those that are unemployed settle for. your gonna tell me these types are not draining the system. my post was a hypothetical situation, not a real one. 3 people were against it even though it was a made up scenario.. oh yea i cant do a thruhike because i have a job...

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 19:45
What’s odd to me is that no one is looking past the mere financial or legal equation to see, what it is, that will become of the person who thru-hikes the AT. To be a ‘’thru-hiker’’ is always touted as such a character building and positive accomplishment. So then why would it not be an investment in ones future to start and finish the trail? I would dare say many people need to step out of the “city life” and learn about themselves. John Muir believed the same thing, and that is why we have our National Parks. (Yes I am aware the entire AT is not a national park, but I am drawing a parallel here.) Well, you can point out that it’s Uncle Sam’s dime, and you are right. However, we cannot all come to the trail the same way. Kind of like Christians, Buddhists and every other religion do not come to enlightenment via the same path, but that adds to the diversity of the world we live in and the trail we hike on. Enabling a person who, for any reason, is not able to hike the path can be a potentially positive experience that will change their life; or not, maybe they just return to the sofa and watch Simpson’s and eat Cheetos. But giving that person a chance to meet other successful people and see what accomplishment is all about, might be the best thing to motivate the next Steve Jobs. You might look at him (Steve) as a drop out, or you might read this on your iPad/Phone and smile to yourself that a person (Steve Jobs) who had nothing and lived off other people, finally found his calling in the world. (I am not a huge Steve Jobs fan, just drawing another parallel.) So…. Sure, hike away! Find yourself, and then invent me a machine that will connect to my brain so I can laser-zap small minded people with my thoughts.

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 19:47
3 yrs unemployed seems to burden the system more then a guy on a 6 month job finding hike....stirring the pot as you read, lol.....

nitewalker
02-20-2012, 19:50
What’s odd to me is that no one is looking past the mere financial or legal equation to see, what it is, that will become of the person who thru-hikes the AT. To be a ‘’thru-hiker’’ is always touted as such a character building and positive accomplishment. So then why would it not be an investment in ones future to start and finish the trail? I would dare say many people need to step out of the “city life” and learn about themselves. John Muir believed the same thing, and that is why we have our National Parks. (Yes I am aware the entire AT is not a national park, but I am drawing a parallel here.) Well, you can point out that it’s Uncle Sam’s dime, and you are right. However, we cannot all come to the trail the same way. Kind of like Christians, Buddhists and every other religion do not come to enlightenment via the same path, but that adds to the diversity of the world we live in and the trail we hike on. Enabling a person who, for any reason, is not able to hike the path can be a potentially positive experience that will change their life; or not, maybe they just return to the sofa and watch Simpson’s and eat Cheetos. But giving that person a chance to meet other successful people and see what accomplishment is all about, might be the best thing to motivate the next Steve Jobs. You might look at him (Steve) as a drop out, or you might read this on your iPad/Phone and smile to yourself that a person (Steve Jobs) who had nothing and lived off other people, finally found his calling in the world. (I am not a huge Steve Jobs fan, just drawing another parallel.) So…. Sure, hike away! Find yourself, and then invent me a machine that will connect to my brain so I can laser-zap small minded people with my thoughts.

i like open minded people.

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 20:26
what u are missing is that its beyond open minded to hike the government trail on their dime, when they are broke.

Sailing_Faith
02-20-2012, 20:43

The question is not if it is a positive experience... but that the person's former employer should not morally be required to fund their hike....

The government should not either, especially through the abuse of the program. In this case it is (in my mind) even worse because the 'tab' is being picked up by the former employer.

It is the moral equivalent of paying child support for someone's child because you once slept with the mother.... I just do not see how anyone can see that as fair.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2012, 20:45
This will undoubtedly piss off a lot of folks. So be it.r

If you're collecting unemployment compensation, it is expected that you are spending an inordinate ammount of your time actively looking for work, contacting prospective employers, preparing for, and sitting in or interviews, etc.

If you're on a 6 month hiking vacation, let's be blunt: You're not doing this.

People that thru-hike while collecting unemployment are committing fraud. (As are a ridiculously high percentage of folks collecting personal physical "disability" pay, too, but let's not even go there.......I mean, if you can hike 14-20 miles a day for 6 consecutive months, in some cases, this does and should raise questions about your disability in some cases, no?)

The argument that unemployment is some sort of inherent Federal "right" is a a false argument. Be assured, SOMEONE is paying for this right, and in most cases, it is working taxpayers who are funding your hike while you are allegedly and ostensibly spending all your time seeking employment. People collecting unemployment compensation should be spending most of their time looking for work, not on an extended hiking vacation, and this is NOT a partisan political statement or argument, it's just a simple truth. In short, pay for your own hike, don't have others, either workers or employers do this for you.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 20:46
what u are missing is that its beyond open minded to hike the government trail on their dime, when they are broke.
Go look it up..... In 1776 we were $25,000,000.00 in debt, by 1780 we were $54,000,000.00 in debt. We have always been in debt, we will always be in debt. Debt is the device Alexander Hamilton believed was the way to a prosperous nation. (Go read his arguments to understand this better.) If debt is your only argument, I would say at least since 1776 its been a issue, when we refused to repay the creditors who financed our American Revolution...... just saying.... or pick up a book on the American History ..it looks like either would help.

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 20:54
Oh I am not arguing - just walk into a shelter and pretend to tell that to all that is there..... be prepared.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 21:14
The question is not if it is a positive experience... but that the person's former employer should not morally be required to fund their hike....

The government should not either, especially through the abuse of the program. In this case it is (in my mind) even worse because the 'tab' is being picked up by the former employer.

It is the moral equivalent of paying child support for someone's child because you once slept with the mother.... I just do not see how anyone can see that as fair.

So in your uhhhh, equivalent here, did we also get to use that childs mother to make money for our home and family. Did we pay her a wage and then use some of the money she generated working for us to feed a cash fund that would sustain her for a period of time? - ..that is a little more accurate.

MJW155
02-20-2012, 21:37
3 yrs unemployed seems to burden the system more then a guy on a 6 month job finding hike....stirring the pot as you read, lol.....

Pretty sure if someone has been out of a job for 3 years any potential employer would just laugh at the resume and throw it in the garbage.

Blissful
02-20-2012, 21:54
What’s odd to me is that no one is looking past the mere financial or legal equation to see, what it is, that will become of the person who thru-hikes the AT. To be a ‘’thru-hiker’’ is always touted as such a character building and positive accomplishment. So then why would it not be an investment in ones future to start and finish the trail?

I know someone personally who hiked the whole trail, then when they got home, could not adapt. Fell out of society and never was able to keep a job, set a goal for further education, or even live in adequate housing. Hiking a trail does not mean better character building or a better job candidate. Hiking is actually a very selfish pursuit unless used to help better oneself and thus their fellow man. Accomplishment is not found in the hike but in a determined mindset that you will be responsible and use your God given talents no matter what situation you find yourself in, whether home or hiking a trail (and of course hiking a trail can help you understand that, if you let it, that is). I mean it's pretty clear - If you don't work, you don't eat. We are made to work, to be someone significant, to help others.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 21:59
I know someone personally who hiked the whole trail, then when they got home, could not adapt. Fell out of society and never was able to keep a job, set a goal for further education, or even live in adequate housing. Hiking a trail does not mean better character building or a better job candidate. Hiking is actually a very selfish pursuit unless used to help better oneself and thus their fellow man. Accomplishment is not found in the hike but in a determined mindset that you will be responsible and use your God given talents no matter what situation you find yourself in, whether home or hiking a trail (and of course hiking a trail can help you understand that, if you let it, that is). I mean it's pretty clear - If you don't work, you don't eat. We are made to work, to be someone significant, to help others.

...didn't i say... "or not, maybe they just return to the sofa and watch Simpson’s and eat Cheetos."... Hey Sport... looks like I covered that point .. but thanks. Maybe you should read the entire post before replying. .... just saying...

evyck da fleet
02-20-2012, 22:16
OK I'll bite. I was going to thru hike while on unemployment this year but didn't want to get pulled off the trail for a job so I agreed to be a contractor at a higher rate so I wouldn't increase my 'employer's' rate that he has to pay unemployment insurance, and i wouldn't have to deal with filing weekly claims or get off the trail if the DOL calls me in to renew the claim.

It shouldn't be difficult to search for a real job online and you could probably set up a phone interview first allowing you time to get home. That being said traveling home could be expensive depending on where you are so you should probably have funds other than unemployment for the trip.

Smartass comment-If you're going to hike on unemployment are you going to deduct your equipment and expenses as job hunting costs?

Informative comment -Some people have difficulty getting hired for substantially less than they previously made because the employer doesn't believe you will stay and will only be there until you find a job at your previous pay level so they will look for someone whose salary and experience mean they are more likely to stay long term.

so all the unemployed people who have been out of work for two or three years were never offered a job during that time. sounds odd to me. therre are plenty of jobs out there. its all about what type of money will those that are unemployed settle for. your gonna tell me these types are not draining the system. my post was a hypothetical situation, not a real one. 3 people were against it even though it was a made up scenario.. oh yea i cant do a thruhike because i have a job...

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 22:24
it seems to me looking for a job and completing a thru are exclusive of each other.how can you develop the singlemindedness of prurpose necessary to finish a thru, and quit in the middle to start some job that you dont know whether you'd stay at?
hike or look for work.and im serious- if you want to sell cars on long island and are reasonably intelligent, I will train you.im always looking for edicated employees, and if you can complete a thru, you've already shown me some.

MJW155
02-20-2012, 22:29
Informative comment -Some people have difficulty getting hired for substantially less than they previously made because the employer doesn't believe you will stay and will only be there until you find a job at your previous pay level so they will look for someone whose salary and experience mean they are more likely to stay long term.

Exactly. That's something that people need to understand. A friend of mine was a CFO of a company and was laid off 6 months ago. Because he was a CFO, he hasn't been able to find a job. He's applied for accounting and comptroller jobs but will not get hired because he's over qualified. Yes there are jobs out there, but for every job opening, there's 20 people applying. You basically have to apply for niche jobs where your resume stands out and that's a lot harder than most realize. Saying something like "Get a job at Burger King." is not understanding the problem. If you were a manager at BK, would you hire someone that is probably going to quit as soon as they find better work?

txag
02-21-2012, 00:37
Other things to consider if you hike while on unemployment:

Of the many people I know that have been on unemployment (engineers/managers from layoffs - retirements) only one was ever contacted by the agency. He screwed up while initially filing his claim and obviously got on a list. He was repeatedly required to go down and show proof of employment search. If they want to see you they will send you a letter and you must respond within 10 days. Can you do that from the trail - including travel back?

Also the new employment extension rules just passed have requirements for drug testing - and you may have to do a training program. I have not done research of this bill but previous iterations did not have these requirements if you had a college degree (go figure).

I have the salary issue mentioned above. Had a phone interview last week and am low balling my salary to stay in this town. We'll see how it goes.....

Live_for_hiking
02-21-2012, 00:52
Ever read a thread that you want to respond to, write something and then delete it ... only to return later?

This thread is like that! My thought is: I would not collect unemployment while hiking the trail.

What anybody else does is their concern. Hike Your Own Hike.

Live your own life.

Peace,

hikerboy57
02-21-2012, 08:21
okay, true confessions, cant beleive i had almost forgotten one of the best summers of my life,1976.the two previous summers i had worked as a mechanic in an amusement park, but the park had closed. the summer of 76, my freind ronnie invited me to stay for the summer with him in burlington, vt. he was going to school at uvm, and for the bicentennial, there was going to be a bluegrass festival in town.we came up with a ralph crampden "we're gonna be rich" idea to sell our own silk screen t shirts at the festival. before leaving for VT, i filed UI, and was receiving $32/wk., i transferred the UI to VT when i got up there and for my employment history i put amusement park ride operator, knowing full well, there wasnt an amusement park within 500 miles. I did look for work while up there but because of the bicentennial festival, many students had stayed in town for the summer, and jobs were scarce, so i relied on UI to get by. I did some construction work for a guy who owned a motel across from where i was living, but that was pretty sporadic,.
so i have to say i did kind of abuse the system
I have no regrets, though.it was a summer to remeber. I got to play guitar alongside legendslike bill monroe, scruggs, stanley, david bromberg, just to name a few. there was music everywhere you went in town. in just about everybodys backyard, thered be 6 or a dozen guys sitting around playing banjos, guitars, fiddles. it was incredible.
more importantly, that summer i hiked franconia ridge for the very first time and fell in love with the white mountains forever. i also climbed mt mansfield, and backpacked in the daks.
it would have been difficult for me to get by, if not for that extra $32/week.the silk screened t shirts were an absolute and utter failure, as we screwed up the 2 color process we had in mind and wound up with a couple hundred t shirts that were illegible. my freinds and i wore them for years.

WingedMonkey
02-21-2012, 09:08
.im always looking for edicated employees,

Is that what it takes to sell cars?

;)

RossSFCA
02-21-2012, 10:00
Theoretically, you should already had the money in the bank before leaving for the Trail... if you are depending on the government check to finance your hike, you might get "stuck" along the Trail if your checks do not get to you in time. Logistically, I think it would be a challenge, since someone has to find you along the Trail and send you your paperwork to fill out, which you must then return in a timely manner.

To be fair, the concept of unemployment insurance is earned as part of an active search for a new job. It is true that we all pay into the system. Clearly, AT hikers are split on the issue. Do you really want people giving you a trail name like "Job Search"?

Your state wants to know you are looking for a job. Many people search for jobs on websites like Monster.com and CraigsList, and are able to complete their weekly job search in just a few hours. Then, what do they do? Sit around the rest of the week waiting to hear back from potential employers. Some people HATE sitting around and work a part-time job to keep busy (but if you earn any money, that is deducted from your unemployment check that week, and many do not make a competitive wage). Rather than sitting around, some folks are choosing to hike. And for some of those folks, it is on the Appalachian Trail.

If you are NOT looking for employment while you are on the Trail, BUT you are telling your state that you ARE, then you are being dishonest. Conversely, if you ARE looking for employment in your chosen field, but no-one is inviting you to interview, then you are not being dishonest. However, it could be argued that you are not "available for work" back home, since you are in another state hiking.

As long as you are being honest, I think it is between you and your conscience. But if you want people to respect you, keep it to yourself, as everyone has a different opinion on the matter and may disagree with your position on the matter.

hikerboy57
02-21-2012, 10:15
Is that what it takes to sell cars?

;)
dedicated. educated helps too. :confused:

nitewalker
02-21-2012, 18:19
Theoretically, you should already had the money in the bank before leaving for the Trail... if you are depending on the government check to finance your hike, you might get "stuck" along the Trail if your checks do not get to you in time. Logistically, I think it would be a challenge, since someone has to find you along the Trail and send you your paperwork to fill out, which you must then return in a timely manner.

To be fair, the concept of unemployment insurance is earned as part of an active search for a new job. It is true that we all pay into the system. Clearly, AT hikers are split on the issue. Do you really want people giving you a trail name like "Job Search"?

Your state wants to know you are looking for a job. Many people search for jobs on websites like Monster.com and CraigsList, and are able to complete their weekly job search in just a few hours. Then, what do they do? Sit around the rest of the week waiting to hear back from potential employers. Some people HATE sitting around and work a part-time job to keep busy (but if you earn any money, that is deducted from your unemployment check that week, and many do not make a competitive wage). Rather than sitting around, some folks are choosing to hike. And for some of those folks, it is on the Appalachian Trail.

If you are NOT looking for employment while you are on the Trail, BUT you are telling your state that you ARE, then you are being dishonest. Conversely, if you ARE looking for employment in your chosen field, but no-one is inviting you to interview, then you are not being dishonest. However, it could be argued that you are not "available for work" back home, since you are in another state hiking.

As long as you are being honest, I think it is between you and your conscience. But if you want people to respect you, keep it to yourself, as everyone has a different opinion on the matter and may disagree with your position on the matter.

maybe some of the folks with tunnell vision can read this and understand that some people are in different situations that allow them to hike and collect unemployment and do it honestly. ct gives its unemployment in the form of a debit card or direct deposit[no more paper checks]. most job apps can be filled out online these days. then we sit home and wait. i know a kid who was unemployed for 2.5yrs. he never went to a job site to fill out an app. he did it all online and honestly. he has finally found a job and is feeling much better about himself.

restless
02-21-2012, 20:35
maybe some of the folks with tunnell vision can read this and understand that some people are in different situations that allow them to hike and collect unemployment and do it honestly. ct gives its unemployment in the form of a debit card or direct deposit[no more paper checks]. most job apps can be filled out online these days. then we sit home and wait. i know a kid who was unemployed for 2.5yrs. he never went to a job site to fill out an app. he did it all online and honestly. he has finally found a job and is feeling much better about himself.

I have been unemployed for a little over two months. I am required to apply to 4 positions per week. All of those positions I have applied for have been online. I receive my benefits via direct deposit. I file my claims each week online. I have a lot of time that I'm not spending in an active job search. So, if I'm collecting unemployment and everything is done online, why shouldn't I go hiking? If I did, I wouldn't be available to interview for a potential job offer. I've done a few dayhikes close by this winter, especially on weekends as most of my job search occurs during the week. Sure, it's been difficult and boring at times. I've dealt with depression. I've weighed the consequences of not being able to find a job. There just isn't that much demand for someone with trail building as his main experience on his resume. I could have gone hiking, I could have even travelled a little, but in order to make sure I wasn't putting my unemployment benefits in jeopardy, I stayed home. And what did it get me? Holy ****..even in this economy, where people say there are no jobs, I found one. I don't think that would have happened if I had chose to hike. Those who want to hike while collecting unemployment are just plain lazy. The trail will always be there. Do the right thing now and your efforts will be rewarded later.

daddytwosticks
02-22-2012, 08:19
When I got out of the service a long time ago, I was unemployed and collected UI after many weeks of waiting to qualify. During this time, my full time "job" was looking for a job. Not hiking. Not laying on the beech. Not hanging out in bars or strip clubs. Time and people sure have changed. I guess I'm just old fashioned...

MJW155
02-22-2012, 09:16
RossSFCA brings up a good point though. Because of the internet, a person today can apply for 10 jobs in 1 hour when 20 years ago applying for those same 10 jobs would have taken 2 days.

Hairball
02-22-2012, 10:13
Personally, I don't care how someone finances their hike. None of my business. HYOH.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

sailsET
02-22-2012, 15:23
Pretty sure if someone has been out of a job for 3 years any potential employer would just laugh at the resume and throw it in the garbage.

So true. This speaks volumes about a person's work ethic. Big time gaps are a red flag employers look for.

MJW155
02-22-2012, 18:44
So true. This speaks volumes about a person's work ethic. Big time gaps are a red flag employers look for.

Not really. There can be plenty of reasons someone doesn't work for a few years and it has nothing to do with work ethic. Kids, illness, etc.But you are right that big gaps are a red flag.

Problem is, in this day and age you often don't even get the chance to explain that gap. A person reading the resume just assumes it's laziness and throws it out before even meeting the potential employee.

takethisbread
02-23-2012, 13:53
As an Employer, i can only say that someone who only applies to jobs online, really doesnt want a job. Acquiring a good job, one that will enrich your life and your bank account involves selling yourself. ive hired folks that i didnt have a position for, because they approached me when i didnt have a position available and they sold me that they were a winner. i am not here to judge those who are out of work and killing time by hiking, to each his own i say. Im just offering a real insight as to the Employer view of this issue.

If someone came to me with a long period of no work (3 years as suggested above), without a death,illness or very tragic circumstance, i would never hire that person. For men under 30, i wont hire anyone that hasnt worked in 4 months. a young guy can do any job if he really wants to work.

If a guy or woman came to me that hadnt worked for 6 months, but had hiked the entire AT , i would hire them in a minute. That means they are tough, can handle extreme stress, dont need to be babied, are healthy, and can set difficult goals and then achieve them. They are ambitious, disciplined, and emotionally secure. Its more impressive than a Diploma from your average public University

TyTy
02-23-2012, 14:08
I am 31 years old, I have been working since I was 15 years old. I have never, ever gotten a job or even a serious interview by applying online. Every job I ever got was from calling and/or going to see someone. When I job hunt I literally wouldn't waste my time applying online to a job until I had spoken to someone and they told me to submit my application or resume via that channel.

If you collect unemployment and go hiking and/or are sitting at home applying online, you are either lazy, a moron, or both. After your contribution to unemployment runs out, I wouldn't waste one cent to save you from starving. Please whatever you do do not procreate and burden the productive citizens of this country any further.

TyTy
02-23-2012, 14:17
Rather than sitting around, some folks are choosing to hike. And for some of those folks, it is on the Appalachian Trail.

Ross, your statements in this post are dishonest with yourself. If you are hiking you are not doing everything you can to find a job. Applying online to jobs is almost worthless, literally. If you are hiking you can't make job interviews, you don't have access to a computer to really tweak your resume, and you aren't calling on people in person, talking to friends and family about connections they might have. You might be meeting the minimal/BS qualifications for your state but you aren't fooling anybody you are milking the system and you are a part of the problem...plain and simple.

Bottom line, there is no way to be out hiking, collecting unemployment and not being a a lying, dishonest, piece of crap, dead weight on society. Plain and simple. If you want to hike, get a job, save up and do it.

Sailing_Faith
02-23-2012, 14:27
Please do not hold back, let us know how you REALLY feel... :D

Ross, your statements in this post are dishonest with yourself. If you are hiking you are not doing everything you can to find a job. Applying online to jobs is almost worthless, literally. If you are hiking you can't make job interviews, you don't have access to a computer to really tweak your resume, and you aren't calling on people in person, talking to friends and family about connections they might have. You might be meeting the minimal/BS qualifications for your state but you aren't fooling anybody you are milking the system and you are a part of the problem...plain and simple.

Bottom line, there is no way to be out hiking, collecting unemployment and not being a a lying, dishonest, piece of crap, dead weight on society. Plain and simple. If you want to hike, get a job, save up and do it.

TyTy
02-23-2012, 15:39

Well man, this post just gets my goat (whatever that means). I hate to be so blunt but it is just this simple. This thread should not be 7 pages long. In past generations there would be no delusion and gray area here. It is sad that people would do this, that they would delude themselves/talk themselves into this being okay or anything but complete dishonesty. The very idea that people think applying online and sitting on your butt is okay is okay is terrible. It used to be nobody sat on their rear, if you didn't have a job you were out working at the docks, showing up at construction sites looking for work, aggressively selling yourself to anybody that would listen. My Mom got her first job as an assistant passing out her resume on the sidewalk to executives as they walked into work in the morning. Now apparently there are people that think applying online and sitting around, maybe going hiking is okay? Wow.

SouthMark
02-23-2012, 15:51
Well man, this post just gets my goat (whatever that means). I hate to be so blunt but it is just this simple. This thread should not be 7 pages long. In past generations there would be no delusion and gray area here. It is sad that people would do this, that they would delude themselves/talk themselves into this being okay or anything but complete dishonesty. The very idea that people think applying online and sitting on your butt is okay is okay is terrible. It used to be nobody sat on their rear, if you didn't have a job you were out working at the docks, showing up at construction sites looking for work, aggressively selling yourself to anybody that would listen. My Mom got her first job as an assistant passing out her resume on the sidewalk to executives as they walked into work in the morning. Now apparently there are people that think applying online and sitting around, maybe going hiking is okay? Wow.

You are right but unfortunately it's the times we live in. Might as well just steal enough money do do a thru hike. Pretty much the same thing.

Rasty
02-23-2012, 16:18

Not every younger (38) thinks that way. I would shovel s... if I had to.

jbwood5
02-23-2012, 17:44
Everybody's circumstances is different. There are places right now where nobody will talk to you about a job and you MUST file an application online. Even Home Depot and almost every major chain store will not talk to you about a job....but you can file online. Every City or municipality here in the Tampa Bay area requires an online application, and they may take weeks or months to get back with you. This applies to ditch diggers, pipefitters, roadworkers, technicians, IT (computer) experts, engineers, accountants, jail workers, health workers, and on and on. It makes it really tough to sell yourself for any of those jobs. You would probably have as much luck walking into an outfitter store while hiking and finding the owner, and that can be done on the trail. Surely you could sell yourself in that situation. Nobody knows trail gear better than the person actually doing it. The days of just walking in a place and asking for a job are very limited, except for some very small businesses and perhaps in some rural areas.

When I got laid off, I filed for unemployment, took the State required classes, filled out about 80 applications over 2 months, went to temp hiring places, had my name on every online job search site, sent out a lot of resume's, etc. I might have received 4 or 5 letters indicating that they were interested and would keep my name onfile in a case an opening came up.. bla bla bla. Believe me, it got very depressing and it didn't help that I was old. I finally took a 6 week hike and was still collecting the last few weeks of unemployment benefits (only 6 months at the time)... but still trying to get a job on the trail in the towns I passed through. I sent all the filled out forms to the State and was never questioned about these out-of-state places I applied for. About 6 weeks after I got back, I was called in for an interview at the Sheriff's office for a 2-way radio repair tech. I passed all the technical exams but was beat out by another applicant. Ten months after my initial unemployment, I was called into the local County for an interview, and a couple of weeks later called for a 2nd interview. They hired me exactly 1 year from my initial layoff. The pay was 1/3rd of my previous employment, but I was in no position to bargain. 5 other qualified people could have taken it, but I was glad to get the job at any pay and have since worked up to 1/2 the old pay. All I can say is that it is brutal out there and good luck to anyone on the street. The hike was a huge stress relief and I would not discourage anyone from setting off on a hike, provided you have met your UC State requirements and have plenty of applications already filed... and can managed financially with what you have saved. Continue to file on the trail and be prepared to terminate your hike if you get asked to come in for an interview. Many hikers who I have met along the way do have a very strong work ethic and are very focused in what they do. They are also pretty tough people and if I had a business, I would want them working for me.

TyTy
02-23-2012, 18:23
Everybody's circumstances is different. There are places right now where nobody will talk to you about a job and you MUST file an application online. Even Home Depot and almost every major chain store will not talk to you about a job....but you can file online. Every City or municipality here in the Tampa Bay area requires an online application, and they may take weeks or months to get back with you. This applies to ditch diggers, pipefitters, roadworkers, technicians, IT (computer) experts, engineers, accountants, jail workers, health workers, and on and on. It makes it really tough to sell yourself for any of those jobs. You would probably have as much luck walking into an outfitter store while hiking and finding the owner, and that can be done on the trail. Surely you could sell yourself in that situation. Nobody knows trail gear better than the person actually doing it. The days of just walking in a place and asking for a job are very limited, except for some very small businesses and perhaps in some rural areas.

When I got laid off, I filed for unemployment, took the State required classes, filled out about 80 applications over 2 months, went to temp hiring places, had my name on every online job search site, sent out a lot of resume's, etc. I might have received 4 or 5 letters indicating that they were interested and would keep my name onfile in a case an opening came up.. bla bla bla. Believe me, it got very depressing and it didn't help that I was old. I finally took a 6 week hike and was still collecting the last few weeks of unemployment benefits (only 6 months at the time)... but still trying to get a job on the trail in the towns I passed through. I sent all the filled out forms to the State and was never questioned about these out-of-state places I applied for. About 6 weeks after I got back, I was called in for an interview at the Sheriff's office for a 2-way radio repair tech. I passed all the technical exams but was beat out by another applicant. Ten months after my initial unemployment, I was called into the local County for an interview, and a couple of weeks later called for a 2nd interview. They hired me exactly 1 year from my initial layoff. The pay was 1/3rd of my previous employment, but I was in no position to bargain. 5 other qualified people could have taken it, but I was glad to get the job at any pay and have since worked up to 1/2 the old pay. All I can say is that it is brutal out there and good luck to anyone on the street. The hike was a huge stress relief and I would not discourage anyone from setting off on a hike, provided you have met your UC State requirements and have plenty of applications already filed... and can managed financially with what you have saved. Continue to file on the trail and be prepared to terminate your hike if you get asked to come in for an interview. Many hikers who I have met along the way do have a very strong work ethic and are very focused in what they do. They are also pretty tough people and if I had a business, I would want them working for me.

The vast majority of jobs are gotten through personal relationships, that applies to human beings and life. You have to network, talk to friends and family, possibly go back to school to get training in a better field. You can make all the excuses you want but your 6 week hike was a taxpayer funded vacation. Walking into a business with a pack on your back telling them you were out hiking and want a job is akin to if I walked into a surf shop at the beach with a sunburn and flip flops and asked for a job, it was a waste of time for you and the store owners. If you want a job you put on a collared shirt, shave your face, comb your hair, bring crisp resumes and walk in with purpose, tell the man you will work your tail off harder than anyone. Offer to work for free for a day or a week and tell them they can fire you with no notice if you ever slack off. Get out an volunteer for the city, meet the government employees, tell them you are looking for work. Move, many people these days think they are owed a job where they live. I live in California, Minnesota, Michigan, Maryland, Florida, Georgia and Alabama growing up....all for my fathers jobs. Since I graduated from college I have lived in Atlanta, Orlando, now Columbus, one job each place.

There is always more you can do besides submit applications online and go hiking for stress relief. I have a very stressful job, I don't get 6 weeks vacation to go hiking and I don't want to pay for yours.

4shot
02-23-2012, 20:27
I am 31 years old, I have been working since I was 15 years old.
If you collect unemployment and go hiking and/or are sitting at home applying online, you are either lazy, a moron, or both. After your contribution to unemployment runs out, I wouldn't waste one cent to save you from starving. Please whatever you do do not procreate and burden the productive citizens of this country any further.

TyTy...I want to jump in and say that I appreciate you and your post. Hope you get to see this before it and the last several posts get deleted.Person who can't pay their own way is not thru hiker material. end of story.

jbwood5
02-23-2012, 20:35
Actually in my State, UC is not taxpayer supported. The employer is required to pay for 6 months at a rate that is established by the State. At the time I was laid off, there was no extension, no Federal assistance, etc. The employers all know that they are on the hook, unless you get fired for "cause" (insubornation, theft, lying, violence, etc.). A lot of today's corporations are driven by pure economics and have no concern for an employee's tenure, dedication, reliability, etc. If they can find someone that can do the job cheaper, they hire them. In my case, I had some of the highest reviews you can get and got good increases in pay. At 19 years of service, I was only a few months from being vested in a medical plan that would have covered 50% of my premiums until age 65 if I retired prior to 65. Over the years, that anticpated cost was blown out the window (and of course no longer offered). Corporations (many with self insured health plans) could not afford to honor such a benefit. The new guy that replaced me was probably paid half my wage with very little benefits. Do I feel bad about my employer paying the UC? Not a bit. I also recognize this is a new world and there are folks out there that essentially lost everything (i.e Enron Corp employees, autoworkers, miners, etc.). Heck, my wife lost all the value in the K-Mart stock that they set aside for her retirement and she had to find another job too. We both put the past behind and moved on and are just as happy. The maximum UC you can get in Florida is $7 hr. based on a 40 hour week ($560 every 2 weeks), and that is if you made about $60K or more per year. Most people get about $400 every 2 weeks and it is intended to be a supplement, not an amount you can live on. For most employers, that is a pretty small amount to pay in the big picture of things.
One interesting comment. I work for local government now and we do have a lot of volunteers. These are just older retired guys that are bored and work for free. Just this week, we needed a property surveyed and this retired certified surveyor came in and offered to do it for free just so he would have something to do. That is great. The guy doesn't need the money. The only problem is that there are a stack of applications on file for that type of work.... and of course they are not hiring!

Always remember that there should be a balance between working yourself to death, and working hard but taking occasional breaks to reflect on your accomplishments with no stress (i.e hiking/running or whatever). Those who work under constant stress end up with heart attacks and burden the medical system. Those that work hard but take a break, enjoy life, are healthier, and overall more productive in the end. I won't mention the lazy bumbs who do nothing :)

BlakeGrice
02-26-2012, 00:14
Had a conversation about this last night around the fire @ Low Gap. Most people on unemployment sleep til noon and just milk it for as long as possible. They aren't trying to find jobs. I'd rather see someone hiking than sitting around all day

redheadedhiker674
02-26-2012, 00:34
This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo. I completely agree. This is a ridiculous question. Do you collect unemployment when you go on vacation? No. So, don't do it on a thru hike. If you're collecting unemployment right now, you shouldn't be planning a through hike. Government aid isn't in place so you can lolligag through the woods and have everything paid for.

redheadedhiker674
02-26-2012, 00:40
I'm actually disgusted by this thread. So many people expect to have everything handed to them and everyone has so many excuses. It's just..disgusting.

MJW155
02-27-2012, 12:31
Had a conversation about this last night around the fire @ Low Gap. Most people on unemployment sleep til noon and just milk it for as long as possible. They aren't trying to find jobs. I'd rather see someone hiking than sitting around all day

Never understood why people think this is the case. If a person goes from a $40 or $50K job to making $300 or $400 a week on unemployment, why would they milk it? LOL. It's just a generalization that people assume is true and it's really not. I've yet to meet a person that's collecting unemployment and is happy about it.

Pony
02-27-2012, 13:59
As an Employer, i can only say that someone who only applies to jobs online, really doesnt want a job. Acquiring a good job, one that will enrich your life and your bank account involves selling yourself. ive hired folks that i didnt have a position for, because they approached me when i didnt have a position available and they sold me that they were a winner. i am not here to judge those who are out of work and killing time by hiking, to each his own i say. Im just offering a real insight as to the Employer view of this issue.

If someone came to me with a long period of no work (3 years as suggested above), without a death,illness or very tragic circumstance, i would never hire that person. For men under 30, i wont hire anyone that hasnt worked in 4 months. a young guy can do any job if he really wants to work.

If a guy or woman came to me that hadnt worked for 6 months, but had hiked the entire AT , i would hire them in a minute. That means they are tough, can handle extreme stress, dont need to be babied, are healthy, and can set difficult goals and then achieve them. They are ambitious, disciplined, and emotionally secure. Its more impressive than a Diploma from your average public University

Many places now require you to apply online. For instance a large sporting goods chain just opened in my town. Even though the new store is a couple of miles from my house, they would not accept my application, instead made me email it to their corporate office several hundred miles away. It's hard to get a chance to sell yourself that way. Nonetheless, their website repeatedly mentioned that applicants should be passionate about the area in which they will be working, so I figured I had a decent shot at working in their backpacking department. Haven't heard a thing from them and when I went into the store, the dude working in the backpacking department was clueless. So, had I got some face time, I'm sure I could have sold myself, but instead somebody at their corporate office filed my application, presumably because I took a six month vacation to go hiking.

As far as impressing a prospective employer with thru hiking experience, I wish more employers thought like you, but unfortunately most don't. About a year ago I had a interview for an internship to become a park naturalist. The interview seemed to be going well, then the subject of my hike came up. The first thing the interviewer said was "you do understand that if you get the position, you will not be able to take long periods of time to go hiking?" I knew right there the interview was over. The fact is, most employers see taking time off to thru hike as screwing off for six months.

FWIW, I have a degree from a large public university and I've hiked the trail. Neither one has put me on the fast track to success. There are a lot of under employed college grads out there.

Ender
02-27-2012, 15:24
Many places now require you to apply online.

In the industry I work in, resume's are submitted online only. A mailed in resume would be immediately thrown out. The HR folks just want a quick look at a digital copy, not some hard copy cluttering up their space. It's been this way for a while now.

When I was on the PCT, there was a guy out there, carrying a laptop with a cell modem, who would look for work every day. He eventually got a phone interview, which he went into town to take. From there, they asked him for a second interview in person, which he left the trail to do. He got the job. So it happens, and that was from 2003, almost 10 years ago.

I have no idea if he was collecting unemployment though. Not the point. Just a story from someone I witnessed get a job while on the trail.

restless
02-27-2012, 16:42
I'm actually disgusted by this thread. So many people expect to have everything handed to them and everyone has so many excuses. It's just..disgusting.

Welcome to the Appalachian Trail.

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 19:00
Nice statement there TyTy. You sound like a swell guy.. If you knew half of what you think you do you'd know you almost always hve to apply online for virtually any job.
Save your breath moron, I have income. FYI, I live in Suwannee not too far from you.

Sierra Echo
02-27-2012, 19:11
I've never drawn unemployment so I don't know if they will do a direct deposit into your account. But I do know (at least for Ga) on the envelopes it says "Do not foward."

Sierra Echo
02-27-2012, 19:17
FYI, I live in Suwannee not too far from you.

I have $20 thats says TyTY doesn't give a fart where you live. Just saying.

ljcsov
02-27-2012, 19:27
Wow. Bottom feeder.

hikerboy57
02-27-2012, 19:31
farting is on another thread.

MJW155
02-27-2012, 19:32
For those that apply for jobs online, keep in mind that a lot of companies now hire a 3rd party to screen resumes. So you need to get past the firewall to even get to HR in the 1st place. You need to have certain keywords in your resume otherwise it gets red flagged and doesn't even go through. I've seen resumes of 20 year professionals not even make it to the HR office while someone right out of colleges gets through just because the college kid used the right key words while the 20 year pro did not.

If you want to send a resume online, your best bet is to call the HR office and ask for a direct email.

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 19:34
I have $20 thats says TyTY doesn't give a fart where you live. Just saying.

Now that is funny.

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 19:34
farting is on another thread.

That is really funny, and I'm serious.

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 19:42
People that try collecting unemployment while walkin the trail are the scum of the earth. Period. No excuses.
Wow, interesting. So you sum up the whole of a persons life based on that. Lol, what a freaking joke. I thought board was for the "enlightened people, nature lovers, natural.
So nothing anyone has done in their life matters? What about what people go thru such as illnesses, dealing with sick kids, or just trying to survive in general.
Now I know there are a handful of total aholes on here pretending to be enlightened people who see more than other.
Attack me all you want. Bunch of fart lovers.

Hrdlee
02-27-2012, 19:47
Wow, interesting. So you sum up the whole of a persons life based on that. Lol, what a freaking joke. I thought board was for the "enlightened people, nature lovers, natural.
So nothing anyone has done in their life matters? What about what people go thru such as illnesses, dealing with sick kids, or just trying to survive in general.
Now I know there are a handful of total aholes on here pretending to be enlightened people who see more than other.
Attack me all you want. Bunch of fart lovers.

Define enlighten? Is that someone that believes like you? Btw, anybody that uses profanity has just run out of enlightened ideas .

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 19:51
Define enlighten? Is that someone that believes like you? Btw, anybody that uses profanity has just run out of enlightened ideas .

Where did I say I was enlightened. I have no idea what your comment means.

Hrdlee
02-27-2012, 20:08
Where did I say I was enlightened. I have no idea what your comment means.

I agree with you but being down is what unemployment is for not hiking AT. I was taking exception to you categorizing everybody on the board as enlighten.

surfnturk
02-27-2012, 20:17
I agree with you but being down is what unemployment is for not hiking AT. I was taking exception to you categorizing everybody on the board as enlighten.

No, I was speaking specifically about the people that I quoted. I dont like someone calling people who apply for work online as "morons".He is categorizing people. He should bother you, not me.
My other point was to judge a person strictly by the fact that they collected unemployment while hiking. How can you call somebody "the scum of the earth " based soley on that? It may not be right but that does not make them that.
Maybe the person who did that was seriosly down to the point they couldnt take it anymore and had to clear their heads? Maybe they were on the verge of a breakdown. Or maybe not. I wouldnt judge them without knowing.
If you dont think that can take you to a bad place then you've never been in that position. I have. Luckily I figured out how to make money. Some people cant.

hikerboy57
02-27-2012, 20:27
some people have a conscience others dont.im sure there may be times where collecting UI while on the trail may be bonafide, but i think its up to the ab"users' conscience.there are plenty of abusers of "the system" on and off the trail, and you could get into a major political debate regarding who pays their "fasir share" of taxes in this country. there are hundreds of thousands of hikers that visit the AT every year, yet a very small percentage of these give something back, whether thru trail maintenance or just donations.I wonder how many on this thread are ATC members.
how many have even donated to keep WB going?
If you want to play, why not pay?

kayak karl
02-27-2012, 21:34
Handed to them???????????? you try raising a family on 40% of your pay. depression sets in and some don't deal with it well. i'm 3 times your age and most of us my age never want anything handed to us. most to proud to take help. it's very scary when OTHER people are depending on you.

hikerboy57
02-27-2012, 21:43
Handed to them???????????? you try raising a family on 40% of your pay. depression sets in and some don't deal with it well. i'm 3 times your age and most of us my age never want anything handed to us. most to proud to take help. it's very scary when OTHER people are depending on you.
5 years ago, i found myself unemployed for the first time since before i got married, and i couldnt wait to find a new job and make money again. this notion that people are taking a free ride , laying on their duffs just watching the money roll in is absurd. I was earning $1500/wk when i lost my job, and UI barely paid my child support, sometimes not knowing where my next meal would come from, and some nights, i just went hungry.i would say some 90+% on unemployment really, really , really need the money.

redheadedhiker674
02-27-2012, 23:24

I am obviously not talking about people who genuinely need unemployment. I am referring to the kinds of people, like the one who started this thread, that are considering collecting unemployment while hiking the AT, which is like a vacation. It's something you do for fun that costs a good amount of money. If one is collecting unemployment, then how are they paying to hike the AT? With taxpayers' money. That's taking advantage of the system. Which is disgusting.

Biggie Master
02-28-2012, 01:02
I remember the scene in Cinderella Man where Jim Braddock repaid his government assistance. His pride came from being self sufficient and being able to provide through his own hard work. There's nothing wrong with anyone accepting a helping hand when they're down, but that hand of assistance also requires the recipient to help pull themselves up and do what thy can for themselves. It shouldn't be a free ride. I think if you're going to accept the $$, you need to legitimately do your part to help your situation. That means your "new job" is to aggressively search for employment.

Mr. Right
02-28-2012, 01:35
The anger some people have about this issue is really amazing.

Governments take money and put it back into the country in various forms. My taxes might pay for a road, a soldier's medical supplies in Afghanistan or to keep street lights burning in my home town.

Someone wants to use my tax money to thru-hike, to connect with the natural world and develop skills and thought patterns that make them a better person? I'm all for it. It's better than paying for bombs, subsidies for oil companies or bailing out greedy Wall Street bankers. We'd be a better community if we all thru-hiked.

SouthMark
02-28-2012, 08:56
Mr. Right, it is NOT YOUR TAX MONEY. It is an insurance premium PAID BY EMPLOYERS. The more unemployment compensation drawn against an employer the higher their premium.

kayak karl
02-28-2012, 09:07
i wrote i collected two months on thru, but it was 2 checks and they were for the previous month. all was over and i hiked.
was at unemployment office "One Stop" (training center) yesterday. not to collect :) asked about this. a poster said you can NOT take a vacation on UE. he said wrong. what about time shares. you bought it already. he said talk to your case worker. they can put a 2 week hold on UE or let u go. to hike you could put a hold on collecting until u return. if your being honest with them, the do whatever works.

Sailing_Faith
02-28-2012, 09:52
Mr. Right, it is NOT YOUR TAX MONEY. It is an insurance premium PAID BY EMPLOYERS. The more unemployment compensation drawn against an employer the higher their premium.

Oh sure, go and cite the facts... that will work. :rolleyes:

;)

SouthMark
02-28-2012, 11:23
Oh sure, go and cite the facts... that will work.:rolleyes:;)

Yea I know, never let the facts get in the way of justifying one's position. :rolleyes:

TyTy
02-28-2012, 12:27

So your previous employer should pay for your vacation while you lie and say that you are putting forth 100% effort to find a job? Aha, now I get it.

(BTW, it is my understanding that with the current 99 weeks? of unemployment the Federal government is adding to the pot and helping fund most or all states).

TyTy
02-28-2012, 12:39
Never understood why people think this is the case. If a person goes from a $40 or $50K job to making $300 or $400 a week on unemployment, why would they milk it? LOL. It's just a generalization that people assume is true and it's really not. I've yet to meet a person that's collecting unemployment and is happy about it.

My brother runs two restaurants. He gets dozens of people that come in every week that ask for an application and never turn it back in. Also he gets people that show up to interview in their pajamas and tell him that they can only work morning between 6 and 9AM (when the restaurant is closed). He gets all sorts of variations of this. He also gets tons of people that come in, work for a couple weeks then just start being obnoxious or just not the best worker, they will tell the other employees they really want to get let go so they can take unemployment and not have to work.

But they deserve a vacation so I guess my brother should pay for it after they wasted his time and money on training and such.

This is not one or two people, this is a major cost of doing business for him. He has to factor this into what he can pay. If he could hire all hard working people that weren't out to milk the system he could afford to pay them more. Funny too how they always seem to find a job just before or just after their unemployment is about to run out. Wierd.

jbwood5
02-28-2012, 12:48
I don't know how it is now, but a few years ago,in order to collect any unemployment, you had to work for at least a year and then you could only draw down what you paid in. My wife (a contract employee) would work for 3 or 4 months, get laid off and get no UC. Then she would get called back and get another 3-4 months of work. Finally, after she had accumulated 12 months, she was eligible, but generally only got a few weeks which amounted to what she paid into the system (through her employer). There was no free ride of working a few weeks and then collecting for a year after that. I see no way your brother would have to pay anything for an employee that was on his staff for only a few weeks.

TyTy
02-28-2012, 12:52
Nice statement there TyTy. You sound like a swell guy.. If you knew half of what you think you do you'd know you almost always hve to apply online for virtually any job.
Save your breath moron, I have income. FYI, I live in Suwannee not too far from you.

I am 31 years old, like I said I have been working since I was 15 (really 14). I have worked at lawn services, as a mover, at a tree cutting service, I have had my own lawn service, I worked at a gym selling memberships, I worked on a farm/recreational property as a maintenance person, I worked as a batting cage manager, I worked for my university all 4 years I went to school, also I was a bouncer at night in college, I have had 3 jobs in my career since graduating from college. Not ONE of those jobs I got by submitting an online application. I got all of them through personal relationships, going in to talk with someone, one I got by cold calling my prospective employer. Every single job I have ever had you could call my former boss and they would tell you I was the best employee they have ever had. Probably 90% of them have written me glowing personal recommendation letters, several have written unsolicited letters to my parents telling them I am the hardest worker they have ever had. I have been promoted at every job I have ever had, I have never been fired, never been laid off. I have worked at places where people got laid off but I was always the best worker and I have been told I would be the last person that was let go. Heck at my last job I was the last person, I came on there were 6 employees, when I resigned to take a better job it was my boss and me, everyone else had been let go.

Either I am the luckiest person ever...or I make sure I am the hardest worker and I am an asset to my employer. I tend to think the latter.

jbwood5
02-28-2012, 13:03
I am 31 years old, like I said I have been working since I was 15 (really 14). I have worked at lawn services, as a mover, at a tree cutting service, I have had my own lawn service, I worked at a gym selling memberships, I worked on a farm/recreational property as a maintenance person, I worked as a batting cage manager, I worked for my university all 4 years I went to school, also I was a bouncer at night in college, I have had 3 jobs in my career since graduating from college. Not ONE of those jobs I got by submitting an online application. I got all of them through personal relationships, going in to talk with someone, one I got by cold calling my prospective employer. Every single job I have ever had you could call my former boss and they would tell you I was the best employee they have ever had. Probably 90% of them have written me glowing personal recommendation letters, several have written unsolicited letters to my parents telling them I am the hardest worker they have ever had. I have been promoted at every job I have ever had, I have never been fired, never been laid off. I have worked at places where people got laid off but I was always the best worker and I have been told I would be the last person that was let go. Heck at my last job I was the last person, I came on there were 6 employees, when I resigned to take a better job it was my boss and me, everyone else had been let go.

Either I am the luckiest person ever...or I make sure I am the hardest worker and I am an asset to my employer. I tend to think the latter.

That might work in a small town, tight knit community, but most big corporations no longer work that way. It just depends on where you live, plus some corporations will not take referrels from friends and families bacause that leads to potential conflict of interest (i.e. one favor leads to another). If a referred employee just doesn't work out, the one who made the recommendation could be in trouble. The whole network of the "Good Ole Boy" system is pretty much out the window in today's world (with some exceptions). There are still businesses out there that are family grown and that is fine since they can take care of their own with possible legal implications.

surfnturk
02-28-2012, 13:22

I'm happy for you my friend. Obviously you do have the right to call people who apply online lazy, stupid or morons.
My bad.

TyTy
02-28-2012, 13:31
That might work in a small town, tight knit community, but most big corporations no longer work that way. It just depends on where you live, plus some corporations will not take referrels from friends and families bacause that leads to potential conflict of interest (i.e. one favor leads to another). If a referred employee just doesn't work out, the one who made the recommendation could be in trouble. The whole network of the "Good Ole Boy" system is pretty much out the window in today's world (with some exceptions). There are still businesses out there that are family grown and that is fine since they can take care of their own with possible legal implications.

I am 31 not 61, I am talking about now...the past decade. I just got the job I am at a little over a year ago....through a personal relationship (a friend of mine's Sunday school teacher that I knew was in my business I kept in touch with through the years). Also I live in Columbus GA now but I have worked in Atlanta and Orlando. Here in Columbus we have AFLAC, Synovus, and TSYS (big companies). They require you submit your application online but typically the people that get the jobs have recommendations from current employees, people that vouch for them as hard workers, honest people.

I am not some dumb hick in some small town, I understand how the world works. Cultivating and maintaining personal relationships is a part of life. Communicating clearly face to face with an employer, getting across that you are a hard worker and honest person is nothing new, these are concepts that apply to successful human beings. If you are convinced that applying online to jobs is the best way to get hired then I would argue you are getting what you deserve.

Here are some more strategies to think about...

- If you want to work for a big company but can't get past the online application...go apply for one of their smaller suppliers. Get that job, work your butt off, make sure people take notice and make people at the big company aware that you would love to come work there.

- Show up randomly at the decision makers doorstep, walk in, tell them you just wanted to stop by to tell them that if they hire you you will work harder, longer, faster, better. I have done this before.

- Write a hand written note requesting a meeting to tell them you will work harder, longer, faster, better.

- Don't go work for a big company...apply to small ones in person. (Hint, you might not want to be collecting unemployment, not have showered, and have a backpack on your back...this might scare your potential employer into thinking you would be a lazy, lying, cheat that would file for unemployment that they pay and go on vacation while lying and saying you are putting forth 100% effort to find a job).

- Accompany your online resume with glowing recommendations from past employers.

- If big city is your problem...move to a smaller one. Employment in your chosen town is not a right.

TyTy
02-28-2012, 13:33
I'm happy for you my friend. Obviously you do have the right to call people who apply online lazy, stupid or morons.
My bad.

I never said people who apply online are lazy, stupid or morons. I said (direct quote) "If you collect unemployment and go hiking and/or are sitting at home applying online, you are either lazy, a moron, or both."

surfnturk
02-28-2012, 14:13
I never said people who apply online are lazy, stupid or morons. I said (direct quote) "If you collect unemployment and go hiking and/or are sitting at home applying online, you are either lazy, a moron, or both."

Then you should have left out the "/or".

surfnturk
02-28-2012, 14:19
I was wrong about the stupid part. sorry for that

TyTy
02-28-2012, 14:36
Then you should have left out the "/or".

You are right. The point I was trying to make was if ALL you are doing is sitting at home, applying online to jobs and doing so little else that you think 'hey I could perform this job hunt while hiking the Appalachian Trail' then you are stupid and/or a moron. I don't / didn't mean people that apply online to jobs are stupid. I understand that is one piece of the job hunting puzzle.

Mr. Right
02-29-2012, 12:13
All the better then. A worker gives there time, skills and energy to a company and that company lays them off (you have to be fired/"laid off" in CA - and every state I believe - to get unemployement) the least that company could do is give them a small portion of their salary. Workers give to their companies every day, why shouldn't the company give a little back.

And don't even start with the whole "someone worked for a week only to get unemployment cause they're lazy" stuff. 1)there will always be people who game a system, any system - do you say tithing at church is bad because some televangelist embezzles it all; 2) if you only worked a short time then the money you'll get for unemployment will be equally small - if you can get any at all as many states say you have to work x amount of time to get unemployment; and 3) if you're the lazy type of personwho wants to work for a wek and then do nothing then you won't be hiking the trail cause its work!

If i understand you're point, its that we, the workers, owe our bosses, the company and its shareholderslots of service, skills and a make lots of money for them .... but then they owe us nothing in return. I couldn,'t disagree more.

Where are you Joe Hill? Where are you Woodie Guthrie?

Tuckahoe
02-29-2012, 13:22
All the better then. A worker gives there time, skills and energy to a company and that company lays them off (you have to be fired/"laid off" in CA - and every state I believe - to get unemployement) the least that company could do is give them a small portion of their salary. Workers give to their companies every day, why shouldn't the company give a little back.

And don't even start with the whole "someone worked for a week only to get unemployment cause they're lazy" stuff. 1)there will always be people who game a system, any system - do you say tithing at church is bad because some televangelist embezzles it all; 2) if you only worked a short time then the money you'll get for unemployment will be equally small - if you can get any at all as many states say you have to work x amount of time to get unemployment; and 3) if you're the lazy type of personwho wants to work for a wek and then do nothing then you won't be hiking the trail cause its work!

If i understand you're point, its that we, the workers, owe our bosses, the company and its shareholderslots of service, skills and a make lots of money for them .... but then they owe us nothing in return. I couldn,'t disagree more.

Where are you Joe Hill? Where are you Woodie Guthrie?

Honestly, the company that you work for owes you nothing beyond the pay and benefits package that you agreed to work for. You work for them and they pay you. If they do not need your services they should have everyright to lay you off, just as you have a right to quit working for that company.

Panzer1
02-29-2012, 13:35
The reason they don't check to see if your actually looking for a job is because they don't really care.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-29-2012, 13:42
How could you be lazy if your hiking. Hiking is not a endeavor for lazy people.

Panzer

Pony
02-29-2012, 14:13
I am not some dumb hick in some small town, I understand how the world works. Cultivating and maintaining personal relationships is a part of life. Communicating clearly face to face with an employer, getting across that you are a hard worker and honest person is nothing new, these are concepts that apply to successful human beings. If you are convinced that applying online to jobs is the best way to get hired then I would argue you are getting what you deserve.

Here are some more strategies to think about...

- If you want to work for a big company but can't get past the online application...go apply for one of their smaller suppliers. Get that job, work your butt off, make sure people take notice and make people at the big company aware that you would love to come work there.

- Show up randomly at the decision makers doorstep, walk in, tell them you just wanted to stop by to tell them that if they hire you you will work harder, longer, faster, better. I have done this before.

- Write a hand written note requesting a meeting to tell them you will work harder, longer, faster, better.

- Don't go work for a big company...apply to small ones in person. (Hint, you might not want to be collecting unemployment, not have showered, and have a backpack on your back...this might scare your potential employer into thinking you would be a lazy, lying, cheat that would file for unemployment that they pay and go on vacation while lying and saying you are putting forth 100% effort to find a job).

- Accompany your online resume with glowing recommendations from past employers.

- If big city is your problem...move to a smaller one. Employment in your chosen town is not a right.

I;ll repeat an earlier post. Many employers REQUIRE you to submit an applicatin online. It isn't even an option. As for showing up at the president of a company's door step, that will make you look like a stalker, they pay human resource people to take care of the hiring and most likely don't want to be bothered by somebody asking them for a job. If you work for a supplier of a larger company you can move up in that company, but most likely the parent company will not take you because they would see that as a conflict of interest since you work for a supplier. In a way you already work for them. A hand written note? Really? We have computers these days, and I believe a cover letter attatched to a resume would be more effective than scribbling something down on a note pad. If a prospective employer calls a past employer by law, at least here in Ohio, they aren't allowed to say much other than that you worked there, so technically if they say "yeah, he worked here best worker I ever had, a real shame I had to lay him off", then they are breaking the law.

Now, as far as all the applicants at your brothers restaurant trying to scam unemployment, I've worked in restaurants for the past 10 years and have yet to see this. Most servers make $3.43 an hour and kitchen staff rarely starts any higher than $10 an hour. The unemployment check for that would be next to nothing. Besides I think you have to work somewhere for six months before you're eligible for unemployment.

Just a few things I see wrong with your many arguments here. But I guess you know how the world works.

Sierra Echo
02-29-2012, 16:35
I can't believe this thread is still going!

TyTy
02-29-2012, 23:18
I;ll repeat an earlier post. Many employers REQUIRE you to submit an applicatin online. It isn't even an option. As for showing up at the president of a company's door step, that will make you look like a stalker, they pay human resource people to take care of the hiring and most likely don't want to be bothered by somebody asking them for a job. If you work for a supplier of a larger company you can move up in that company, but most likely the parent company will not take you because they would see that as a conflict of interest since you work for a supplier. In a way you already work for them. A hand written note? Really? We have computers these days, and I believe a cover letter attatched to a resume would be more effective than scribbling something down on a note pad. If a prospective employer calls a past employer by law, at least here in Ohio, they aren't allowed to say much other than that you worked there, so technically if they say "yeah, he worked here best worker I ever had, a real shame I had to lay him off", then they are breaking the law.

Now, as far as all the applicants at your brothers restaurant trying to scam unemployment, I've worked in restaurants for the past 10 years and have yet to see this. Most servers make $3.43 an hour and kitchen staff rarely starts any higher than $10 an hour. The unemployment check for that would be next to nothing. Besides I think you have to work somewhere for six months before you're
eligible for unemployment.

Just a few things I see wrong with your many arguments here. But I guess you know how the
world works.

My last awesome job I had I got by cold calling the Senior Vice President of the company (the guy I wanted to work for). I fooled the call up with a hand written thank you for your time call. Still to this day he rants and raves about how I was the guy that cold called him.

The job I have now I got by keeping in touch with a friend of a friend. I approached him at a conference and asked if I could take him to breakfast to discuss my career. I followed up with a hand written thank you card. A couple months later he called me, asked me to submit my resume online. Few days after that he called and told me the president of the company was going to be in town and wanted to meet me. I followed up that breakfast with a hand written thank you card...got an awesome job offer.

Out of my high school buddies the guy that is making the most money works for AFLAC. He couldn't get on at AFLAC so he went to work for a supplier, eventually got hired at AFLAC, kicked butt at his job, now he is some multiple regional sales manager and makes a ton of money, has about 60 plus people working for him.

My brother runs and opens restaurants.

Biggie Master
02-29-2012, 23:37
CEOs cold call me. Several companies put me on their payroll, just so they can tell investors that I am part of their organization, thus increasing the value of the company stock. The Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man", was actually a backup plan after I declined the position (because I only drink a specific hand crafted brew from Bryson City). Women throw themselves at me simply for my ability to secure employment. The air around me is always fresh like Spring time, and sunshine is always on my shoulder. In short, I love me - and everyone else should too.

surfnturk
03-01-2012, 08:04
I personaly know some wealthy entrepeneurs who are waiting until I'm available in order to start up several international companies, which, I might add, will employe many thousands of people. Unfortunatly I wont be available until I finish approxamately 100 or so bottles of highly rated vintage wines, which were gifted to me by several Victoria Secret models, (I know you know who they are.). Their hope is I manage their careers and satisfiy their every need. For this they will gladly pay me 10 figures.

surfnturk
03-01-2012, 08:05
Biggie Master, you may be my new hero

hikerboy57
03-01-2012, 08:07
CEOs cold call me. Several companies put me on their payroll, just so they can tell investors that I am part of their organization, thus increasing the value of the company stock. The Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man", was actually a backup plan after I declined the position (because I only drink a specific hand crafted brew from Bryson City). Women throw themselves at me simply for my ability to secure employment. The air around me is always fresh like Spring time, and sunshine is always on my shoulder. In short, I love me - and everyone else should too.
if the air around you is always fresh, you havent been on the trail long enough.:)

TyTy
03-01-2012, 08:34
Biggie Master and SurfnTurk:

Man, those careers y'all have sound awesome. I am particularly interested in the job having sex with models while earning ten figures. Please direct me to the website where I can apply for that position. Thanks.

surfnturk
03-01-2012, 08:40
Ty, first you must become an international male model.
In all honesty, your loaded with confidence, which is a good thing, and you have the guts to admit a mistake. You seem like a good natured guy. I'm just messing with you.

beakerman
03-01-2012, 10:06
biggie master is chuck norris.

chuck norris never sweats there for he hever stinks

therefore the air around biggie master is always fresh and sweet....

surfnturk
03-01-2012, 10:23
when biggie master does bench presses he doesnt push the weights up, he pushes the earth down

randyg45
03-01-2012, 11:43

Airborne!!

TyTy
03-01-2012, 12:17
Ty, first you must become an international male model.
In all honesty, your loaded with confidence, which is a good thing, and you have the guts to admit a mistake. You seem like a good natured guy. I'm just messing with you.

I didn't mention that I am an international make model :)

I tried to not brag or bring my personal situation into this but im being told that I don't know what I'm talking about when these are the strategies that I've used to get jobs or my friends and family have used to get jobs not 50 years ago just recently. I know bill gates but I've done pretty well for myself and for my family and I certainly wouldn't be where I'm at today if I applied to online jobs sat around my house and or gone hiking waiting for someone to call me back.

This topic fired me up because I think it's exemplary of the problems in this country is a whole right now. people in this country used understand hard work honesty integrity and generational advancement through hard work and education. sadly the in this country that's dying out in favor of who owe's me what what do I deserve who's gonna give me wht something for nothing.

sorry about the typos using my phone

Sailing_Faith
03-01-2012, 13:08
I have been thinking about this thread a lot, and I have reconsidered my position.

Yes, I know that it is rare for folks to actually listen to the discussion and reevaluate their views, but it does happen....

Maybe it IS to the good of society if business fund folks going out and hiking.

The lasting effects on society would be worth what ever expense might come in the short term.

Unemployment is a cumbersome engine to harness, all the paperwork and waiting for the check.... really inconvenient.

What about using an already existing distribution method? There are various stores all along the trail.. and they keep cash and supplies on hand. How about just going from town to town robbing convenience stores?

What say the distinguished panel (or maybe the jury?).....

daddytwosticks
03-01-2012, 16:47
...so how long does cheese last on the trail? :)

restless
03-01-2012, 18:56
All shelters should be torn down. Hikers should pay a $250.00 fee to thru-hike the AT. Hikers who carry less than 30lbs are weak. You should get a thru hiker certificate regardless of whether you blue-blazed, yellow-blazed or aqua-blazed. Trail magic should be readily accessible at every road crossing. Bill Bryson is a thru hiker! Leave your trash in the woods; 25 years from now it will be considered a "historical artifact". Earl who? Real men carry external frames. Wingfoot is God.

BTW-depends on what kind..hard ones are the best, softer ones tend to get oily after a couple of warm days.

Biggie Master
03-01-2012, 19:04
if the air around you is always fresh, you havent been on the trail long enough.:)

Very true hikerboy... Also if the sun is always on my shoulder, I obviously wasn't on the AT (at least not for more than 24 hours)... But the good news is I will be out again next weekend for a short section from I-40 to Hot Springs...

hikerboy57
03-01-2012, 19:19
Very true hikerboy... Also if the sun is always on my shoulder, I obviously wasn't on the AT (at least not for more than 24 hours)... But the good news is I will be out again next weekend for a short section from I-40 to Hot Springs...

you mut be an avid outdoorsman!:)