PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry area in August?

Cosmo
02-15-2012, 19:48
I've got a meeting near HF in early August. I'd like to get in about 50miles north or south of there the week before. Any recommendation regarding direction, starting point, shuttles, etc? Will it just be stupidly hot and no fun?

Cosmo

SCRUB HIKER
02-15-2012, 20:59
I grew up around there and I'd say it's more likely than not that it will be stupidly hot/humid, but you could luck out. For instance, when I came through last year it was only in the low 80s with relatively low humidity. Whether or not you have fun is entirely up to you and your outlook, of course.

Opinions may differ on this but I'd take the 50 miles south of there to Front Royal. The highlights would be the Roller Coaster/Raven Rocks, the Bears Den Hostel, and the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter. If you were ending in Harpers Ferry, I'd say ask the lady at the Tea Horse hostel about shuttles, she might be able to help you (don't have contact info on hand, sorry). If you were ending in Front Royal, I have no idea what to say because I've never been there.

Scrub

Cookerhiker
02-15-2012, 21:34
I agree with Scrub Hiker's points about the weather and his recommendation to hike on the south side i.e. between HF and Front Royal. If you have a car, leave it at the Park Service lot at HF (register with the Park Service) and get your shuttle to Front Royal, hike north.

Another option to minimize the heat is to hike your 50 miles in Shenandoah NP where the elevations are all above 2,000' and often above 3,500'. The days may be hot hiking but the nights will at least be cooler at those elevations.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2012, 22:35
its a easy hike southbound from the mason dixon line in Penn thru maryland to Harpers Ferry there is a river outfitters in HF that will shuttle you --- just south of the George Washington Monument is a place right on the trail in MD where you can take a shower -lots of civil war history on this section

shelb
02-16-2012, 00:47
I did HP to PennMar a couple of years ago during the second week in August. It was very hot, but the hike was awesome.

OldFeet
02-21-2012, 09:51
I did Harpers Ferry to Caledonia in late July a few years ago and dealt with heat every day but it was bearable. Water may be an issue at some shelters as the Deer Lick Shelter spring was dry during my hike.

rookiehiker
02-21-2012, 10:18
I agree with Scrub Hiker's points about the weather and his recommendation to hike on the south side i.e. between HF and Front Royal. If you have a car, leave it at the Park Service lot at HF (register with the Park Service) and get your shuttle to Front Royal, hike north.

Another option to minimize the heat is to hike your 50 miles in Shenandoah NP where the elevations are all above 2,000' and often above 3,500'. The days may be hot hiking but the nights will at least be cooler at those elevations.

Do you know how long the Park Service will allow you to keep your car in their lot? Thanks.

Cookerhiker
02-21-2012, 11:18
...If you have a car, leave it at the Park Service lot at HF (register with the Park Service) and get your shuttle to Front Royal, hike north...

Do you know how long the Park Service will allow you to keep your car in their lot? Thanks.

Not off-hand and that's a good question because I believe there's a limit but perhaps it's negotiable. I suggest calling them.

fredmugs
02-21-2012, 11:19
You can keep your car in the lot as long as you want but they do lock it at night. I left mine there for 10 days and was lucky enough to get a passing ranger open it for me.

rookiehiker
02-21-2012, 12:46
Thanks all.

rookiehiker
02-21-2012, 13:05
While looking for a shuttle service, I came across this on the AT Conservancy page.

Harpers Ferry parking note:
Hikers can
park vehicles for up to 2 weeks at the
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
visitors center, located on the south side
of US 340 at the Washington St. stoplight.
You must pay a $6 entrance fee, and
register your vehicle during business
hours. The lot is gated at dusk. A shuttle
bus runs between lower town and the
visitors center. An overnight parking form
is available at
www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index.
htm
. For more information, call (304) 535-
6298. For Harpers Ferry maps and
additional information about parking,
contact the
ATC visitor center at
(304) 535-6331 or 799 Washington St.

Rif
03-11-2012, 21:31
Just wondering if there is a place near Pen Mar where one could leave a car for a few days or up to a week. I was up there on Saturday and Pen Mar Park was not officially open and the gates to the lot were closed. There is an open gravel lot across from the paved parking but not sure if one could leave a car there for more than the day.

Rif

shelb
03-11-2012, 23:18
Two years ago, we left our car in that gravel lot for a week. The shuttle people told us it would be fine, and it was...

Rif
03-12-2012, 20:38
Thanks Shelb. I did find a phone number for the people that run the park and I may ask first if that is okay.

Hmmm, is it better to ask permission first or forgiveness later ?

Rif

DaSchwartz
03-12-2012, 23:44
There is an open gravel lot across from the paved parking but not sure if one could leave a car there for more than the day.

Rif

I used to live right near there, and trust me, there is a very good likelihood that your car will be towed or vandalized or both. The locals DO NOT want that area to be an overnight area. If the shuttle told someone they can park their car there, they were wrong. The Washington County sheriff will tow cars.

Rif
03-13-2012, 19:01
I used to live right near there, and trust me, there is a very good likelihood that your car will be towed or vandalized or both. The locals DO NOT want that area to be an overnight area. If the shuttle told someone they can park their car there, they were wrong. The Washington County sheriff will tow cars.

Thanks. I could imagine that area being overun with cars for section hikers if parking was allowed and made known. I might look at asking at a few local businesses close to PA16 a few miles north. Maybe for a small fee I could use their lot for a few days.

It must have bene nice living near there. It is beautiful right by the park and all the cool cottage style homes. We were that this past saturday.

Rif

yushan
03-13-2012, 19:33
For info about parking:

Pen-Mar is a Maryland county park - the number is 240-313-2700. The website is: http://www.washco-md.net/parks_facilities/penmar.shtm.

Cosmo
07-12-2012, 08:47
So the plan now stands to hike from Front Royal (US522) to Harpers Ferry in a leisurely manner (4 nights on the trail) in early August. I'm planning to arrive in HF for the AT Leadership meeting on the 10th. Curious about how water supplies are doing (we've been w/o rain for over a month in Mass) and if the June windstorm affected this portion of the AT. Also welcome are any comments, hints, favorite (or not) places or experiences. Folks have recommended the Teahouse as a good hostel/shuttle. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Cosmo
http://massatprojects2012.blogspot.com/

Cookerhiker
07-12-2012, 11:31
There's a lot of contact info. on the PATC website (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Home/PublicView/Default.aspx?hkey=6a873098-b8be-4f60-944d-f8ecbc655a58) and their Facebook Group page is a good place to post and obtain updates. For the section you're hiking, I'd guess Laurie P. can help you a lot also.

rickworr
07-12-2012, 18:05
myself and 2 friends will be in the area heading SOB about the same time, Pan-Mar to Front Royal, 1st week - I usually post in the shelter logs about water conditions as we move along. As we will be ending about the same time that you will be starting up, it should be fairly helpful info. Sorry that I cannot give you better info at this time, though.

Tim Causa
07-16-2012, 14:57
There will be no issues with water on that hike. I just got back from hiking from PA to VA - 44 miles in 108 heat index. I'm frequently on the trails between 522 and Harper's ferry and water is consistently available. There are plenty of streams along the way in case any if springs have issues. At Rod Hallow and Sam Moore, use the creeks rather than the springs as the springs can be stagnant. You'll be doing the roller coaster in the heat, so pack plenty of water because you'll use it.

Cosmo
07-17-2012, 09:33
There will be no issues with water on that hike. I just got back from hiking from PA to VA - 44 miles in 108 heat index. I'm frequently on the trails between 522 and Harper's ferry and water is consistently available. There are plenty of streams along the way in case any if springs have issues. At Rod Hallow and Sam Moore, use the creeks rather than the springs as the springs can be stagnant. You'll be doing the roller coaster in the heat, so pack plenty of water because you'll use it.

Thanks Tim, this is very helpful. Not looking forward to the roller coaster, but my days are short mileage, so I'll take it slow in the heat. Just don't want to come up dry unexpectedly.

Cosmo

rickworr
07-18-2012, 21:35
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to being down there in a week or so.

Cosmo
08-16-2012, 13:41
A quick update and impressions of my hike last week from Front Royal (Rt 522) to HF. I deliberately chose to do this in short days (10-12 miles). Jumping up from behind an air conditioned desk to the AT in mid-summer at my age deserves a bit of caution. It was hot and sweaty as anticipated. All of my clothes were soaked within a couple of hours of starting out each day. Water was available at most stream crossings and shelters.

The spring and spring box at Rod Hollow shelter were dry, but the stream crossing was flowing enough to be able to cup water out easily. All of the shelters I stayed at were clean and well maintained, and mouse free. I think PATC's set up of providing covered picnic tables and bear poles goes a long ways to keeping the shelters themselves clean and vermin free. It does mean a good deal of infrastructure in the backcountry--maybe something that hikers looking for a more primitive experience might not like.

The David Lesser shelter 10mi south of HF is a wonder to behold. Such craftsmanship and thoughtful design are a pleasure to see and use.

I had a very good stop at the Bear's Den hostel, Justin was great--really made me feel welcome after a hot day on the Roller Coaster. I probably psyched myself out a bit on the Coaster, it was definitely a challenge, but by no means dangerous. Plenty of water available, just be patient and make steady progress. I rested at Sam Moore shelter while a thunderstorm went by--didn't want to hike up to a high point in the midst of the storm.

I found the road crossings at US 50 (Ashby Gap) and WV Rt 9 (Keys Gap) pretty scary. Not nearly enough sight distance to see oncoming cars before starting across the pavement. Still, enough hikers survive to get to Maine in fairly good numbers.

I stayed at the Tea Horse Hostel on the travel day before my hike, and Laurel shuttled me to Front Royal the next day. Very nice folks, clean with breakfast included in the price.

Cosmo

Visit our blog at
http://massatprojects2012.blogspot.com/