PDA

View Full Version : WB Member (ME) on News!

Rayo
02-15-2012, 22:22
Hey, so I heard this guy on the news talking movies not affecting the way we think about wildlife and conservation so I wrote a letter and ZANG! I was invited on the news. Here's the link if anyone's interested (50 seconds long). :D

5 weeks until Springer!

Rayo
http://www.woio.com/story/16772285/editorial-response-ryan-conklin

tenn_hiker
where's the link? haha

tenn_hiker
02-15-2012, 22:23
oops.. i spoke to soon.. -__-

levidoug
02-15-2012, 22:40
Nice job and to the point.
Thx for sharing.

Spools
02-15-2012, 23:15
very cool.

Storm
02-16-2012, 00:03
Good job neighbor.

Kookork
02-16-2012, 02:07
That is what I call 50 seconds of brilliance.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 02:30
Action news, i love it. Very cool indeed and well said. Also very good public speaking, you didnt seem nervous at all.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 02:39
Follow Up Question: Do you feel Stephen Cobert's, of the Cobert Report on Comedy Central, comedic verbal attacks on bears have negatively or positively effected the conservation of thier habitats?

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 09:04
Hey, so I heard this guy on the news talking movies not affecting the way we think about wildlife and conservation so I wrote a letter and ZANG! I was invited on the news. Here's the link if anyone's interested (50 seconds long). :D

5 weeks until Springer!Needs a little context, specifically, Bill Applegate's Editorial regarding the movie The Grey. And would be interesting to hear any editorials in response to yours.

However, in general, I agree with you. You can see that fear here in the east WRT the mountain lion. I do believe any attempt to reintroduce the species would be deeply opposed, even by many in the hiking community all in the interest of safety.

Rayo
02-16-2012, 09:55
Needs a little context, specifically, Bill Applegate's Editorial regarding the movie The Grey. And would be interesting to hear any editorials in response to yours.

Yeah, Billy Applegate was the reason for my editorial. The movie The Grey's portrayal of wolves caused PETA to call for a boycott of the film saying it would induce a public hysteria toward wolves. Applegate called the move "hysterical" and although I find PETA on the extreme end, I agree with their principle beliefs, hence the response.

Regarding response editorials, probably plenty out there, however, if someone were to assert that movies about wildlife do not influence our opinions/understanding of it, I would be hard pressed not to jump for the nearest laptop as that's a very shallow conjecture.

Thanks for watching! (too bad I didn't have more time to elaborate...they really stripped down my message to make it digestible in under a minute)

SawnieRobertson
02-16-2012, 14:38
Thank you for your alertness. Ranchers in Wyoming and Montana doubtlessly loved the film. If it were about mountain lions, I think I'd be sighing "Thank goodness! Someone finally got some sense about those dangerous kitties."--Kinnickinic

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 14:59
Well, I found the editorial by Bill Applegate http://www.myfoxal.com/story/16652391/editorial-cry-wolf so that does help with the context. To get an even better grasp of the discussion I would have to watch the movie and research PETA's response in full. But since I don't watch movies and I definetly don't waste my time with PETA, then slim chance that's all going to happen.

I would agree that movies do affect the public's opinion somewhat, as sad as that is, it's not sad because of the movie, rather because people don't think for themselves. There's nothing wrong with a movie trying to be entertaining at the expense of reality, that's called imagination and without it the movie would be boring; what is sad is that people can't seem to separate movies from fact, not the fault of the movie's producers and all involved. But what are you going to do about it? Education is the answer, but PETA skips the education part and goes straight to stupid gimmicks.

I would be kind of curious how PETA's campaign goes WRT their fight with hollywood and boycotting the movie. My guess is that after all is said PETA will only help generate business for the movie.

Rayo
02-16-2012, 16:54
My guess is that after all is said PETA will only help generate business for the movie.

Anyone who gets all their entertainment from a TV is in for a mushy brain and a wide ass. The wolves would probably howl with agreement, and I'll howl right back.

Tinker
02-16-2012, 16:57
Nice job and to the point.
Thx for sharing.

+2 :):):):) (I think that's enough characters). :D

Sly
02-16-2012, 17:54
well presented editorial response.

looking at the reviews (7.7 of 10) it's apparent the general public doesn't know much about wolves.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1601913/reviews

while wolf attacks on man may be a little more frequent in Alaska, I'm not sure if there's ever been more than a coupe attacks in the lower forty-eight (at least in our lifetimes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqP2o62sZMs

Mr HaHa
02-16-2012, 18:32
A very nice rebuttal Rayo. I am amazed good old channel 19 had you on and allowed you to disagree with Wild Bill. The guy with the six figure salary and the two digit IQ.

Rayo
02-16-2012, 20:22
A very nice rebuttal Rayo. I am amazed good old channel 19 had you on and allowed you to disagree with Wild Bill. The guy with the six figure salary and the two digit IQ.

Agreed! Billy-o asked me what editorial I was responding to of his and I told him The Grey, to which he responded, "Those wolves weren't even scary." I just smiled halfheartedly and said through half-gritted teeth, "That's not the point." He shook my hand and retreated into the darkness. I still wanna see the movie though, looks like it would be at least moderately entertaining (which beats the pants off of a lot of movies these days).

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 20:35
I still wanna see the movie though, looks like it would be at least moderately entertaining (which beats the pants off of a lot of movies these days).Just don't let PETA know or else they'll accuse you of contributing to killing wolves http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2012/01/26/the-grey-has-us-seeing-red.aspx :D

rocketsocks
02-16-2012, 20:54
Pretty cool dude.It's good to know every day people have a voice.Well done!

Rayo
02-16-2012, 23:00
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to wear a fake mustache and a crazy thrift store getup if I go to see it in theaters. X)

Rayo
02-16-2012, 23:04
Follow Up Question: Do you feel Stephen Cobert's, of the Cobert Report on Comedy Central, comedic verbal attacks on bears have negatively or positively effected the conservation of thier habitats?

Colbert is great for what he says and how he says it. I hope he wasn't kidnapped or something (no new shows yesterday or today).

What'd he say about owls, that they're a waste of time? hahaha, I disagree, owls are awesome, but it was still hilarious.

TOMP
02-16-2012, 23:16
Colbert is great for what he says and how he says it. I hope he wasn't kidnapped or something (no new shows yesterday or today).

What'd he say about owls, that they're a waste of time? hahaha, I disagree, owls are awesome, but it was still hilarious.

Yes he is my favorite specist (a person would hates an entire species). I see his point about owls, I mean flying in the dark, they drew the evolutionary short straw on bird characteristic assignment day.