PDA

View Full Version : Fun & Light Project Knife

ljcsov
02-15-2012, 23:35
Hey all,

I just bought one of these guys.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/137

It's a 3 1/8" neck knife from the "zombie killer" kabar series. I plan on wrapping the handle in paracord to put some traction on the handle to give me a better hold. I figure its a good weight / length ratio. Of course, those who opt for a razor blade have the weight on this blade beat by far. But, I feel like this will work out well. It has a fixed blade design so I doubt I will have to worry about any random mechanical malfunctions. Also, the recurve in the blade should function nicely for cutting cordage. I noticed other blades with this type of design really grab different types of cord and yield a clean cut. The swedge-like curve on the back will likely prove to be a great area to throw off some sparks. The swedge on my KABAR throws off sparks like a beast with the fire steel. I cannot get close to replicating the sparking with the striker.

Just an idea for you gear heads. I think I'll also find a way to attach my firestriker to the sheath. It's likely I'll end up sewing a velcro loop to wrap around the sheath and slide the striker in between the loop and the sheath.

Anyone else have some fun blades? I' can't justify hauling around my 7" kabar although it is a workhorse, but small blades such as this seem worthwhile. Lately, I've been using a SA Cadet, a multitool by Columbia, or a CRKT M16.

I like gear that I can put my personal touch on and do a tad bit of DIY. This will be enjoyable.

Sailing_Faith
02-15-2012, 23:49
The descripture (from your link) is something... really something. :)

In an ever-changing world, the need for preparedness has never been greater. Without notice the game can change and the rules no longer apply. Questioning your gear at a crucial moment is not an option. Whether setting up camp or securing your perimeter, the Original Zombie knives are designed to perform under the most rigorous, unexpected and apocalyptic situations.

I love this part;

...Without notice the game can change and the rules no longer apply....

Wise Old Owl
02-15-2012, 23:53
it's missing the skinner, serrated, and handle.... and at least identifying the steel.... some here on Wb will be appalled.... but hey that's what you are into that's fine by me...

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 00:00
it's missing the skinner, serrated, and handle.... and at least identifying the steel.... some here on Wb will be appalled.... but hey that's what you are into that's fine by me...

Haha. I know what you mean.

I like to keep it simple. It cuts things and doesn't weigh much.

Tuckahoe
02-16-2012, 00:13
OMG... the op didnt disclose whether hes paid by Kbar for a good review!

Wise Old Owl
02-16-2012, 00:15
Vested interest - no that discussion on the other thread was just dull.

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 00:18
OMG... the op didnt disclose whether hes paid by Kbar for a good review!

Really??

I didn't even receive it yet.

Miner
02-16-2012, 01:51
Who measures such a light knife in pounds!? Its like they are trying to hide the true weight by using a larger unit of measurement so the accuracy doesn't have to be very good due to rounding errors. Converting 0.05lbs is ~0.8oz, but I have to wonder if it really is. Since its not folding, you'll need some sort of sheaf for it which will add a some weight. However, it is cheap assuming it won't break the 2nd time you use it.

4Bears
02-16-2012, 09:16
And it is out of stock!!

juma
02-16-2012, 09:39
would be easy to lash it to a hiking pole to form a spear/lance for keeping animals, zombies, etc at bay. gotta have....

I wish I'd had one of these in viet nam as my go to blade for opening C-ration cans, cleaning toe nails, throwing to pass the time, prying spent cartridges out of my rifle, splitting bamboo for punji stakes, etc...

juma
02-16-2012, 09:46
And it is out of stock!!

plenty at http://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-Acheron-Zombie-Killing-Fixed--9089

mine is "in the mail."

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 10:03
I'll let you guys know if its junk.

Alligator
02-16-2012, 11:40
I'll let you guys know if its junk.Great if you could followup with an actual weight too. I have seen several weights for this knife, one site had it listed at 8 ounces! (I think they missed a decimal point.)

swjohnsey
02-16-2012, 12:10
Great if you could followup with an actual weight too. I have seen several weights for this knife, one site had it listed at 8 ounces! (I think they missed a decimal point.)

Someone missed a decimal point. The only way this knife could weigh 0.8 ounce if it was made from unobtainium.

Sailing_Faith
02-16-2012, 12:46
Really??

I didn't even receive it yet.

I believe that there is a second conversation that is taking place here because of another thread. I know you posted this because you wanted to share it, and I am sorry if I helped derail your thread... I thought the add was pretty funny.

I hope the knife works out well for you, thanks for posting about it. :)

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 14:03
I believe that there is a second conversation that is taking place here because of another thread. I know you posted this because you wanted to share it, and I am sorry if I helped derail your thread... I thought the add was pretty funny.

I hope the knife works out well for you, thanks for posting about it. :)

Ohhh. I guess I missed that thread.

PS - I got a sticker from you and it's very nice. Thanks!!!

TOMP
02-16-2012, 21:05
Does it come with a sheath? If not it looks like you will need one and the weight of that will put it around 3 oz total. Still I wouldnt suggest that you shouldnt get the knife based on that alone. Maybe make a cuben fiber sheath, probably not a good idea though as it slices though the bottom and lands on your toe.

4Bears
02-16-2012, 21:23
mine is "in the mail."

I was going off the ORIGINAL link YOU posted, which says out of stock. :confused:

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 22:44
Does it come with a sheath? If not it looks like you will need one and the weight of that will put it around 3 oz total. Still I wouldnt suggest that you shouldnt get the knife based on that alone. Maybe make a cuben fiber sheath, probably not a good idea though as it slices though the bottom and lands on your toe.

It comes with a sheath. I should get it sometime early next week.

grateful 2
02-16-2012, 23:15
Someone missed a decimal point. The only way this knife could weigh 0.8 ounce if it was made from unobtainium.

"unobtanium" - hilarious - It made me snort coffee out of my nose.
!

Tinker
02-16-2012, 23:29
"unobtanium" - hilarious - It made me snort coffee out of my nose.
!

You can only get it through prayer to the patron saint of the impossible, S'ain't Happenin'. ;)

juma
02-18-2012, 16:35
I got it from the source I posted. with sheath, its 1.5 ounces. sheath is .1 ounce. I still think my joyce chen special at 1.3 ounces is better-- http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-Handy-Little-4-Inch/dp/B0001UZMOI

this thing is really just about like a pocket knife.

ljcsov
02-18-2012, 16:35
Here you guys go.

I want to say that this came very sharp and doesn't seem to be of poor quality at all. Not bad considering it cost $10.

As for weight, I do not have a scale but I can tell you it weighs less than my CRKT M16 that comes in at 2.3oz. The difference feels considerable, making a 0.8oz weight realistic. The nice is that the blade length is the same as my M16, a bit over 3".

As you can see I did a few things to it.

1. Added paracord wrap with a small lanyard. Allows me to have a nice grip and the lanyard fits on my wrist.
2. Added some green glowire to the sheath. This acts as a safety locking mechanism as you can sort of see in the picture
3. (Not Pictured) Added a long lanyard to the end of the shealth
4. (Not Pictured) made a velcro loop on my sewing machine and wrapped it around the mid section of the sheath. I was able to firmly slide my firesteel in here

It throws off some mean sparks! I'll see how it works when I'm out and about. I'm liking the minor weight reduction with my knife though!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/5/3/3/6/2012-02-18_14-28-07_503_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=50207)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/5/3/3/6/2012-02-18_14-28-07_503_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=50207)

ljcsov
02-18-2012, 16:36
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/5/3/3/6/2012-02-18_14-28-32_840_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=50206)

juma
02-18-2012, 17:45
it'll never split bamboo.

juma
02-18-2012, 22:05
I was going off the ORIGINAL link YOU posted, which says out of stock. :confused:

I didn't post the original link. The other one I did post works and they have'm. Got mine today. The blond next door was very impressed. A couple of zombies that had been hanging around in the nearby woods beat feet heading north for easier prey.

4Bears
02-19-2012, 22:05
i didn't post the original link. The other one i did post works and they have'm. Got mine today. The blond next door was very impressed. A couple of zombies that had been hanging around in the nearby woods beat feet heading north for easier prey.

oooops!!!! :o Sorry didn't look close enough, I shall now go read a 1000 old posts for remediation. :eek:

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2012, 22:18
oooops!!!! :o Sorry didn't look close enough, I shall now go read a 1000 old posts for remediation. :eek:

As you were 4 Bears... any more remediation would be cleaning up the TP fields of Georgia..... Ouch...

Folks IMO that most knifes are too short - lack strength (China) Lack Sharpness (Swiss) and lack funk (tion)... They all suck for the AT and Survival - Bear G. has addressed this as best as he can ... and well its just lack luster. If it really was for filling to all the issues - it would be too expensive or illegal - Get the best you deserve!

kayak karl
02-19-2012, 22:18
got this one http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3563 just weighted it .81 oz.
got on buck site for $29 on sale