PDA

View Full Version : AT speed record

HeartFire
02-16-2012, 10:43
I got an email yesterday from a guy that is trying to break the AT speed record. He was soliciting donations to help with his run. He said he is an ultra marathon runner, and he would need 20 pairs of shoes, tons of socks, a GPS watch and an MP3 player (among other things). He went on in his email to say he volunteers with some Cancer Society organization, ( but was not asking for the donations to go to that fund).

This sort of stuff really pisses me off. I wrote back that it seemed like he was trying for personal fame and glory and as such should pay for it himself. If he wanted a donation to go to the Cancer Society to please send a direct link and I would donate to them, but I would NOT donated to support him. Why if he is such a runner does he not already have a GPS watch and why does he need it for the AT? Why should we pay for his personal MP3 player - last I knew this was not a requirement for either running or the AT.

He said he was going to start some time in May.

Old Hiker
02-16-2012, 10:59
Post the e-mail address so we can spam him back.

HiKen2011
02-16-2012, 11:03
I got an email yesterday from a guy that is trying to break the AT speed record. He was soliciting donations to help with his run. He said he is an ultra marathon runner, and he would need 20 pairs of shoes, tons of socks, a GPS watch and an MP3 player (among other things). He went on in his email to say he volunteers with some Cancer Society organization, ( but was not asking for the donations to go to that fund).

This sort of stuff really pisses me off. I wrote back that it seemed like he was trying for personal fame and glory and as such should pay for it himself. If he wanted a donation to go to the Cancer Society to please send a direct link and I would donate to them, but I would NOT donated to support him. Why if he is such a runner does he not already have a GPS watch and why does he need it for the AT? Why should we pay for his personal MP3 player - last I knew this was not a requirement for either running or the AT.

Bogus............ Wants stuff for himself, shame on him.

jbwood5
02-16-2012, 11:48
What's his name? Many of us know the ultra-runners who are potentially capable of something like this. It really sounds bogus. If he goes through 3 pairs of decent trail shoes, I'd be suprised. I easily get 1500 miles on a pair and they are still not worn out. 20 pairs of shoes tells me this is totally phoney.

Rusty Nail
02-16-2012, 11:59
a new pair of kicks every other day... sound about right.

bamboo bob
02-16-2012, 12:02
Fraud for sure.

WingedMonkey
02-16-2012, 12:09
(Please note only my opinion, and not me "shoving hike my mike" down anyone.)

It reinforces my opinion that the AT is no place for speed records or charity hikes.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 12:10
It reinforces my opinion that the AT is no place for speed records or charity hikes.

or thru-hiking

HiKen2011
02-16-2012, 12:11
This really strikes a cord with me! I hope to attempt a thruhike and when I do I want to try and raise money for the American Heart Associatian. My Dad had his first heart attack at age 39 and 7 heart attacks later he died at at age 57. My older brother had a heart attack at age 38 and has done well since. He is now 62. My other brother has a relatively rare blood disorder and has problems with blood clots and anyuerisms. I have been tested and do not have that disorder. My older sister has also had a heart attack. Me? Fortunatley I have not got the blood disorder and have been seeing a cardiologist for over 20 yrs. But this is close to my heart (no pun intended). That being said, I would NOT ask for anything for myself, only the heart associatian. I would fund my on trip. Again, I think this is a shame and disgrace!

Dtour

WingedMonkey
02-16-2012, 12:12
ok edit that to not "hike my hike"

:p

The Cleaner
02-16-2012, 12:27
Here we go again......

The Cleaner
02-16-2012, 12:33
or thru-hiking I quit hiking GSMNP due to crowds,trashed shelters and greenhorn hikers.Looks like the same thing is taking over the AT.Anyway I'll keep trying to clean-up one litttle section...

The Cleaner
02-16-2012, 12:36

He said he was going to start some time in May. Whatever happened to that guy last fall who said he was going to "shatter" the current speed hike record?....

mad4scrapping
02-16-2012, 14:22
Whatever happened to that guy last fall who said he was going to "shatter" the current speed hike record?....

The last time I checked his blog, he had not made it to the trail.

Blissful
02-16-2012, 14:32
I quit hiking GSMNP due to crowds,trashed shelters and greenhorn hikers.Looks like the same thing is taking over the AT.Anyway I'll keep trying to clean-up one litttle section...

This is precisely WHY we need to be out - to educate the greenhorns. How will they know otherwise. There's a time to be with the greenhorns and a time to be with yourself.

HeartFire
02-16-2012, 14:38
http://www.runbum.com/
This is the website for the guy, When you click on the link for the American Cancer Society, it takes you to a donation page, but it still doesn't say it's donating it to the Cancer Society - it's going to a Georgia Marathon!

It's all way too fishy.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 14:41
Here we go again......flashback http://www.ucfrotc.com/here-we-go-again.html

jj2044
02-16-2012, 14:45
I love how these people think someone else should help pay for their "dream"

jbwood5
02-16-2012, 15:03
This is the website for the guy, When you click on the link for the American Cancer Society, it takes you to a donation page, but it still doesn't say it's donating it to the Cancer Society - it's going to a Georgia Marathon!

It's all way too fishy.

OK, I looked him up and his name is Sean Blanton, age about 25. He is an extremely fast and talanted runner, but the records do not show him running more than a 125 KM race. I do not know what experience he has on multi-day trail runs. Obviously he is more of a speed runner than an endurance runner. He did complete the Mountain Masochist 50 miler in decent time which shows he can run on Rocky trails. My personal opinion (with the information available on the web) is that he would not make it. Whiteblaze poster Nature Boy who has completed the AT on a thru hike and has completed a number of 100 mile races in the top of the field has a much better chance of setting or coming close to an AT speed record.

So, my opinion is that this 25 year old is over estimating his talent and under estimating the toughness of running the AT day after day. If he is truly trying to raise funds for the American Cancer Society, kudos to him, but I agree that none of the funds should go to support his attempt. A runner with talent can raise a lot more money by running the Boston Marathon or similar events where there are thousands of people interested. Even at that, you still pay your own way.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 16:58
He did complete the Mountain Masochist 50 miler in decent time which shows he can run on Rocky trails. My personal opinion (with the information available on the web) is that he would not make it. .
he ran it in 09 in a time of 9:27. i was 32 when i ran my first ultra and it was at MMTR in a time of 8:47

Tinker
02-16-2012, 16:59

Thanks for the heads-up Judy. I'll try to trip him as he runs past. :D

Tinker
02-16-2012, 17:01
Whatever happened to that guy last fall who said he was going to "shatter" the current speed hike record?....

Wasn't what he expected, I guess. (Phrase borrowed from Wes Wisson, cab driver in Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods).

jbwood5
02-16-2012, 17:22
he ran it in 09 in a time of 9:27. i was 32 when i ran my first ultra and it was at MMTR in a time of 8:47

I guess that would have made him in the 22 -23 age range. That is pretty good for such a young man. He doesn't have the experience yet, but perhaps by the time he is 32 he'll be breaking AT records if he doesn't get injured along the way. Before I would ever bet a dime that he'll set a record, I'd want to see a GA to Maine completion on the AT, and it would need to be done in about 2 months, injury free. This guy is good; no question about it, but inexperienced and is biting off more than he can chew IMHO.

Sly
02-16-2012, 17:38
or thru-hiking

Why do you even bother? People have been thru-hiking since before you were born.

greenmtnboy
02-16-2012, 17:53

This sort of thing makes my blood boil. Also all those extreme sports like people jumping off sheer cliff faces with wings or unassisted climbs of Yosemite, etc.. The statistics are not good with these folks, many get hurt and the rest of us end up paying the tab. Maybe we should have a fundraiser and competition for the slowest throughhike of the Appalachian Trail!

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 18:06
Why do you even bother? People have been thru-hiking since before you were born.

huh? you say somethin'?

Don H
02-16-2012, 18:16

I did a charity hike, a penny a mile for my son's Scout troop. Raised over $700. Nothing wrong with charity hikes as long as ALL the money goes to charity.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 19:42
This guy is good; no question about it, but inexperienced and is biting off more than he can chew IMHO.

I'm sure he is good, but why would he think he needs 20 pairs of shoes?

And I'm no marketing genius, but when asking for money don't say one of the things you need is a MP3 player, among other things...:confused:

Sly
02-16-2012, 20:18

It's all way too fishy.

It shows a number of cooperate sponsors on his website, he needs to contact a shoe manufacturer.

hikerboy57
02-16-2012, 21:22
I'm sure he is good, but why would he think he needs 20 pairs of shoes?

And I'm no marketing genius, but when asking for money don't say one of the things you need is a MP3 player, among other things...:confused:ill donate the mp3. hell never hear the rattler.:)

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2012, 22:31
ill donate the mp3. hell never hear the rattler.:):Dthanks for the laugh
if he's good at runnin'??????his ass needs to be runnin' a lawn mower and pay his own way

Del Q
02-17-2012, 06:46
The last person who was on track to beat the unsupported record was Nature Boy / Willy Syndram, until he got "bonked" on the head outside of Waynesboro and had to get off the trail due to having a concussion. Amazingly sad..................he would have run into Jennipher Pharr............my question is if they had passed each other, how much time would they have spent chatting in the woods?

Badspeller
02-17-2012, 17:02

WOW... I agree 100%. They aught to inscribe that as a footnote under each blaze. (For those who are thinking about the environmental impact of my statement, that was mere hyperbole.)

hikerboy57
02-17-2012, 17:10
I did a charity hike, a penny a mile for my son's Scout troop. Raised over $700. Nothing wrong with charity hikes as long as ALL the money goes to charity.
people seem to forget that the trail was built to enable access to as many people as possible, was never designed with thru hiking in mind, and isnt wilderness in any sense of the word.. the bigger issue isnt speed hking or fundraising, its the impact to the trail, and whether the trail can support that impact.nothing wrong with raising money for charity, as long as its going to the charity.

BobTheBuilder
02-17-2012, 17:22
Maybe we should have a fundraiser and competition for the slowest throughhike of the Appalachian Trail!

I'll accept cash or checks ...

hikerboy57
02-17-2012, 18:36

I heard he drowned during his attempt to jump the english channel(made it 12 feet). apparently, he can run, but he cant swim.

Sierra Echo
02-17-2012, 18:48
ill donate the mp3. hell never hear the rattler.:)

LOVE it!!!! :D

leaftye
02-17-2012, 19:31
I wish there was a way you could donate to provide certain pieces of gear. When enough donations are available to fund that piece of gear, that gear would be sent to the recipient. As for donating money, I'd want that to go directly to the cause. If the cause is setting a record, then I'm fine with that going directly to the recipient. If it's for charity, I want it to go directly to the charity.

Kookork
02-17-2012, 22:01
What I love about Jennifer Pharr Davis speed record is the fact that she hiked the trail and did not run it.I prefer the record stays in hands of hikers and not runners.

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 08:18
What I love about Jennifer Pharr Davis speed record is the fact that she hiked the trail and did not run it.I prefer the record stays in hands of hikers and not runners.
outside of forrest gump, i dont think anyone could actually run the entire trail.

4eyedbuzzard
02-18-2012, 09:10
outside of forrest gump, i dont think anyone could actually run the entire trail.I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over. Granted, I'm slow and I suck. But I got pretty much blown off the trail (had to jump out of the way just south of Little Haystack) by the Dartmouth College girls ski team this past fall - they were running the Bridal Path - Franconia Ridge - Liberty Spring trail loop. And I mean flat out running the entire way. Came flying past me jumping off some 4 foot drops and such. They jumped off them - I slid down on my butt.

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 09:14
I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over. Granted, I'm slow and I suck. But I got pretty much blown off the trail (had to jump out of the way just south of Little Haystack) by the Dartmouth College girls ski team this past fall - they were running the Bridal Path - Franconia Ridge - Liberty Spring trail loop. And I mean flat out running the entire way. Came flying past me jumping off some 4 foot drops and such. They jumped off them - I slid down on my butt.
i dont think i could tell the difference between a speed hiker and someone "running" the trail. i dont think you can run thru mahoosuc notch,up wildcat, up kinsman.
its kinda like the fine line between a man fishing and a man standing on the shore with a stick, looking like an idiot.

takethisbread
02-18-2012, 09:23
i dont think i could tell the difference between a speed hiker and someone "running" the trail. i dont think you can run thru mahoosuc notch,up wildcat, up kinsman.
its kinda like the fine line between a man fishing and a man standing on the shore with a stick, looking like an idiot.

good point. it really doesnt matter anyway. The record holder on the AT, WALKED the trail. i have seen people running up sections i can barely crawl up, some you mention here. i do envy those people.

Cookerhiker
02-18-2012, 23:22
I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over....

On my '07 Long Trail thruhike, we were sitting at Battelle Shelter about 2/3 of the way up Mt. Abraham when this trail runner came by, waving at us as he ran up-slope doing a pretty good pace. OK - he was aerobically fit, he's going up. 20 minutes later, he passes us again running down at the same pace! Remember this is Northern VT. As my hiking partner and I said to each other, all it takes is one stumble on those rocks and there goes his running career.

Zigzag
02-18-2012, 23:41
One of my pet peeves are trail runners in the Whites. Yep, we have some nice trails off the AT that are fine but I hate you tell you how many injuries we have up here. Most of the SAR's don't even make the news. I've had runners go by me on Lion's Head or down Valley Way. I said something to several young fools on Mount Adams last year that were in fivefingers & they yelled at me. Last I saw, one had fallen & was limping down. What's the rush?

Driver8
02-19-2012, 13:50
I guess that would have made him in the 22 -23 age range. That is pretty good for such a young man. He doesn't have the experience yet, but perhaps by the time he is 32 he'll be breaking AT records if he doesn't get injured along the way. Before I would ever bet a dime that he'll set a record, I'd want to see a GA to Maine completion on the AT, and it would need to be done in about 2 months, injury free. This guy is good; no question about it, but inexperienced and is biting off more than he can chew IMHO.

Agreed. Two months would be a superb outing for him.

Shadowalker
02-20-2012, 01:25
Maybe ( The Guy ) Had a change of Luck with Love , I did a good section of the AT in Eastern Pa. and was looking for him to blow by me any day , But nevr seen hide nor hair of him , Doing the math he should have past thru , Maybe he is using his energy,s in other ways now , If u know what i mean , If he needs a Trail name though , It could be NO SHOW !!

jos2thehua
02-20-2012, 19:53
Don't trash the Run Bum until you know the Run Bum. He's a great guy and if there's anyone I would put my faith in to break the record it's him. Kids tough, trains, and eats smart. Already set the Duncan Ridge Trail FKT and puts in a ton of mileage running and hiking. He knows what he's doing and he knows what he's up against.

I'd like to see a transcript of that email if you mind posting it. Just out of curiosity, but I knew and even told him that he'd eventually get heckled on White Blaze by people who log more posts than they do miles.

Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people. If you don't respect trail runners then stay out of the trail running forum. Haha...

WingedMonkey
02-20-2012, 20:26
Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people. If you don't respect trail runners then stay out of the trail running forum. Haha...

The OP did not post to the trail running forum originally, appartently someone felt because of the title of the thread that it should be moved there. Wingedmokeys never understand the actions of the man behind the curtain.

jos2thehua
02-20-2012, 20:54
Thanks for the clarification WingedMonkey.

Honestly, not trying to cause hostility or insult but just defending the sport I love and a fellow trail runner. I think we can all live in harmony on the trail as I do both hiking and running. I've equally come across a lot of rude hikers who have that "I own the trail outlook so move out of my way".

WingedMonkey
02-20-2012, 21:46
I will also point out the the OP is a cottage producer of some fine light-weight tents. She did not start this thread in the trail running forum, but was instead making it known that she was hit up for a donation from what she though might be a dubious appeal for funding.

I'm sure that small companies like hers get hit up often by those thinking they are worth her free support.

Not to speak for her, but surely she must constantly have to decide what is a good promotion of her product and what is a a beg for a freebee.

My own thoughts anyway.

Kookork
02-21-2012, 00:10
Don't trash the Run Bum until you know the Run Bum. He's a great guy and if there's anyone I would put my faith in to break the record it's him. Kids tough, trains, and eats smart. Already set the Duncan Ridge Trail FKT and puts in a ton of mileage running and hiking. He knows what he's doing and he knows what he's up against.

I'd like to see a transcript of that email if you mind posting it. Just out of curiosity, but I knew and even told him that he'd eventually get heckled on White Blaze by people who log more posts than they do miles.

Maybe you are inclined to clarify just a simple question for me and possibly some other members. Does any trail runner needs ten or more pair of shoes?

jj2044
02-21-2012, 00:14
Maybe you are inclined to clarify just a simple question for me and possibly some other members. Does any trail runner needs ten or more pair of shoes?

LOL, welllll i mean if you are asking for free stuff might as well go all out right ?? lol my fav was the mp3 player lol

Kookork
02-21-2012, 00:24
LOL, welllll i mean if you are asking for free stuff might as well go all out right ?? lol my fav was the mp3 player lol

My question is like this: Doesn't an already experienced runner own a MP3 Player already? My 82 years old aunt has two and I mean it....

Tinker
02-21-2012, 00:25

I'm sure the rebound in the soles would bet pretty compressed by 200+ miles of trail running. I don't run in my trail runners and they lose their rebound fairly quickly.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jos2thehua http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1256559#post1256559)

I don't think anyone here has a real problem with running on the trail. If they get their jollies running on a trail, be it the AT or other trail, more power to them. Many might think they're missing out on the community of trail hikers, views, town stops, etc. and they are also right.

Asking people that you don't know for money is called panhandling in the city, and it leaves a sour taste in the mouths of those who are heckled by such people.

There must be a fine line between panhandlers and folks looking for free gear. If a runner can work for a year while he trains and saves up his cash for a record attempt I have respect for that.

Looking for sponsors to foot the bill for one's personal bid for glory is a little sketchy, imo, though not illegal.
:-?

Kerosene
02-21-2012, 09:50
Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people.Not entirely true! There's a 10 mph speed limit sign 20 miles north of Hot Springs at the base of the side trail to Camp Creek Bald. Didn't see any Lidar though and in late October 2009 there weren't many people on the trail. :D

jos2thehua
02-21-2012, 11:48
Not entirely true! There's a 10 mph speed limit sign 20 miles north of Hot Springs at the base of the side trail to Camp Creek Bald. Didn't see any Lidar though and in late October 2009 there weren't many people on the trail. :D

Lol, well I don't think many people are running the AT over 10 mph. That's blazing fast.

I still haven't seen a transcript of the email so we're only going by what the OP said Sean said which isn't very creditable in my opinion.

He isn't looking for people to give him handouts...he stated he would like donations. There's a difference between begging for handouts and asking for donations, but since I'm the only one who actually knows Sean in this entire discussion I think all your opinions of his motives are a little miscued.

vamelungeon
02-21-2012, 12:59
I'm trying to figure out the difference between a handout and a donation. Please elaborate.

hikerboy57
02-21-2012, 13:04
I'm trying to figure out the difference between a handout and a donation. Please elaborate.
not sure this will explain, but its pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&vq=medium

Kookork
02-21-2012, 13:30

I don't know their difference and I don't care ,the video was absolutely great and a great lesson.

Thank you Hikerboy

fins1838
02-21-2012, 14:17
Shame, Shame, Shame.
"Barney Fife"

mad4scrapping
02-22-2012, 14:06
Shame, Shame, Shame.
"Barney Fife"

That was Gomer Pyle's line, not Barney's. ;)

vamelungeon
02-22-2012, 14:54
Awesome video.

Tinker
02-23-2012, 16:17

Very, very cool!

Thanks.

There is incredible power in words, both to heal and to destroy.

HeartFire
02-23-2012, 17:27
Here is a copy of the email I got, Yes, it was sent to LightHeart Gear, not me as an individual person, and yes, I do get hit up from time to time for donations with the promise of highlighting my gear - (trail running won't need a tent). But it really was the advertising for an American Cancer Society fund but the donations going directly to him for his shoes, mp3 etc. that p[issed me off. Perhaps wording the email differently? I think he should fund this himself. ALso, I am friends with Jennifer and don't really want to see her record broken so quickly, but that is much less the issue than him wanting stuff for himself. I would be glad to donate to the Cancer fund, just not to him.
Judy

Hello,
My name is Sean “Run Bum” Blanton and I am an ultra marathon runner. Running
has been a passion of mine for years. Currently, I run for the La Sportiva
Mountain Running Team.
(http://mountainrunning.com/team#sean-run-bum-blanton-159). I have run over
70 ultra marathons in the last 3 years. I am also a coach for the American
Cancer Society’s Determination program. As a coach, I help individual
athletes achieve their goals of marathons or half marathons while raising
money and awareness for cancer research.
My goal is to run all 2,181 miles of the Appalachian Trail and shatter the
current supported speed record. The current record is a little over 46 days.
My goal is to average 50 miles day and complete the course in 43 days or
less. The adventure begins May 2012.
I need as much help as possible from sponsors. I will need about 20 pairs of
shoes, socks, 10,000 calories a day (all kinds of food), shirts, shorts,
hats, body lube, sun screen, trekking poles, head lamps, flashlights,
electrolytes, sunglasses, an MP3 player, a GPS watch. The list is nearly
endless. These supplies listed are just during the run itself and do not
even include all the training hours, which I have already started.
To date, La Sportiva, Petzl, Cliff, Headsweats, Darn Tough Socks and Mix1
Protein Smoothies have pledged their support with products. I am asking that
you help me out in any way possible. Every little bit will help in my goal
to finish. If you can donate it, I don’t have to buy it.
You’re probably thinking, what’s in it for me? In return for your support I
am offering you two things. As with all my running adventures, I am making a
documentary of the entire run and I will plug your products as much as
possible. This will be a great photo op and future marketing tool for your
company. Not to mention you can advertise your socks as the Appalachian
Trail record setting socks!
Find out more about me and see some of the videos I have made trail running
around the world at www.RunBum.com (http://www.RunBum.com/) . I will also mention your company on
our site which gets 20,000 + visitors a month. If you’d like to be one of
our featured in one of our products reviews, we can easily arrange that for
you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Your friend,
Sean “Run Bum” Blanton

Lone Wolf
02-23-2012, 18:00
50 miles per day for 43 days? NOBO or SOBO? either way i don't see it happening

royalusa
02-23-2012, 18:03
This will be a great photo op and future marketing tool for your
company. Not to mention you can advertise your socks as the Appalachian
Trail record setting socks!

Judy, you must have missed the point! You're obviously supposed to be making socks not tents! :-?
Guess someone forgot to change one important sentence to make it 'personal letter' rather than a 'form letter'. Oops.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2012, 18:03
50 miles per day for 43 days? NOBO or SOBO? either way i don't see it happening

and there's no support crew as of yet. he's gonna be sleeping in the woods a lot. he'll need some backpackers to haul in his stuff

JJJ
02-23-2012, 18:08
I don't know Run Bum.
When I saw the 20 shoe comment I thought he didn't know what his game was, but maybe he does. 70 ultras in ~3 years is almost one every other week which tells me he's capable of volume without injury -that's a plus. If some of those ultras are multi-day stage races that would be a significant plus in his favor. I give him a 35% chance on the upper end of generous for his first attempt. I'll root for his success.

jbwood5
02-23-2012, 18:27
I don't know Run Bum.
When I saw the 20 shoe comment I thought he didn't know what his game was, but maybe he does. 70 ultras in ~3 years is almost one every other week which tells me he's capable of volume without injury -that's a plus. If some of those ultras are multi-day stage races that would be a significant plus in his favor. I give him a 35% chance on the upper end of generous for his first attempt. I'll root for his success.

Unless he goes by an alias, the running results data bases do not indicate nearly 70 ultramarathon completions. I can't even find where he has completed a 100 mile run (although has has signed up for one this year). I'm not bashing the guy; I just think that he is a little too over confident thinking he can beat the record. There is a huge difference in completing several ultramarathon races (even 1 a weekend) and running 50 miles every day for 43 days. I just don't see it.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2012, 18:29
He is up front about getting other people to fund his life style. Apparently it is working.

Senor Jalapeno
02-23-2012, 19:05
Hey if anyone wants to donate yo my hike, let me know! Free money is the best money. Oh and im not hiking for any charity, but i'll still gladly take yr money. $10 per mile anyone?

Malto
02-23-2012, 22:08
I seem to recall another recently that talked of "shattering" the record. I would think a mere simple goal of beating the current record would be a bit more humble. He is a wee bit more qualified than some of our recent attempters. I have run the DRT trail as part of the Georgia Loop and it is certainly not an easy trek. So maybe he has a shot. But frankly he reminds me an aweful lot of Sam Fox, young, talented but without a clue of what it will take to do high mileage day after day.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2012, 22:33
But frankly he reminds me an aweful lot of Sam Fox, young, talented but without a clue of what it will take to do high mileage day after day.

At least not on the AT, which is a bit more punishing than other trails this guy maybe familer with. He hasn't said which way he's going yet has he? I only looked at the web page for a few minutes. I do remember something about May, which could get interesting up in Maine depending on how this spring goes..

bobtomaskovic
02-23-2012, 22:36
I was gonna give him a ton of money but then realized I would ruin his chances. no one could make decent time carrying a ton, what was I thinking- Cog

vamelungeon
02-24-2012, 10:27
I'm thinking of doing a flip flop to the end of my driveway. If the neighbor's dog comes out I will shatter the current speed record on the return leg. This will be a great opportunity for sponsors. PM me for the address to send equipment and money.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2012, 12:34
I'm thinking of doing a flip flop to the end of my driveway. If the neighbor's dog comes out I will shatter the current speed record on the return leg. This will be a great opportunity for sponsors. PM me for the address to send equipment and money.

Is that the leg that the dog will be snipping after?

jersey joe
02-24-2012, 12:48
In his his email he is up front about what the donations are for, his hike. It also seems like he is looking for product sponsors more than personal handouts. This is a marketing opportunity for gear manufacturers to be associated with a record attempt. Seems ok to me.

Also, as lonewolf says, 50mpd is an ambitious goal for even the greatest trail runners. But I think this can be done. And will be done some day.

Kookork
02-24-2012, 13:32
In his his email he is up front about what the donations are for, his hike. It also seems like he is looking for product sponsors more than personal handouts. This is a marketing opportunity for gear manufacturers to be associated with a record attempt. Seems ok to me.

Also, as lonewolf says, 50mpd is an ambitious goal for even the greatest trail runners. But I think this can be done. And will be done some day.

The records are breakable, AT speed record included . If it was not then Jennifer Pharr Davis was not current record holder.That is the nature of records.

I don't know this particular runner but Resume of his has not convince me he has a great chance. I think the next one who might break the record is someone who has hiked it before( No one can shatter it IMHO and I don't like this attitude of shattering anyway ).

Mags
02-24-2012, 14:36
I seem to recall another recently that talked of "shattering" the record.

This one? :D
http://omails.blogspot.com/2011/10/shane-odonnell-future-cdt-speed-record.html

Driver8
02-25-2012, 04:04
I seem to recall another recently that talked of "shattering" the record. I would think a mere simple goal of beating the current record would be a bit more humble. He is a wee bit more qualified than some of our recent attempters. I have run the DRT trail as part of the Georgia Loop and it is certainly not an easy trek. So maybe he has a shot. But frankly he reminds me an aweful lot of Sam Fox, young, talented but without a clue of what it will take to do high mileage day after day.

Bingo. I give him a 5%-ish chance, which is significant, but no chance unless he has a support crew in the fashion of JPD.

As to direction, it would have to be NOBO if he's starting in May, no? Unless maybe very late May.

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2012, 10:23
50 miles per day for 43 days? NOBO or SOBO? either way i don't see it happeningWould add that 50 mpd average likely means making quite a few 60 plus (maybe even 70) mpd days on easier sections of the trail. Lots of small sections (not just in New England) just don't lend themselves to running due to the nature of the footpath - rocks, roots, mud, etc. Loads of injury potential. Can't imagine anyone doing 50 mpd average through ME and NH - but I could be wrong. At least this guy has a resume and is somewhat reserved / respectful about how difficult his attempt is. I hope he makes it.

Dances with Mice
02-25-2012, 10:55
I so hope I will be able to wear the same brand of socks as the Appalachian Trail record setter.

Camping Dave
02-25-2012, 18:14
So a professional athlete writes a polite email asking for corporate sponsorship and offering product promotion in return. (BTW - this is how pro athletes make a living, including your favorite nascar driver) He's already got some big name sponsors and a web site getting some good hit numbers. Instead of ignoring it, or refusing, or taking the offer (you know, the things a professional would do), you decide to drag his name through the mud on a notoriously nasty board. No class baby, no class.

hikerboy57
02-25-2012, 18:25
So a professional athlete writes a polite email asking for corporate sponsorship and offering product promotion in return. (BTW - this is how pro athletes make a living, including your favorite nascar driver) He's already got some big name sponsors and a web site getting some good hit numbers. Instead of ignoring it, or refusing, or taking the offer (you know, the things a professional would do), you decide to drag his name through the mud on a notoriously nasty board. No class baby, no class.pretty nasty post to boot, and all in all this has been a fairly balanced discussion.there are more than a few posters here that have no issue with it.
but if you choose to incite the nasties...

HeartFire
02-25-2012, 18:32
So a professional athlete writes a polite email asking for corporate sponsorship and offering product promotion in return. (BTW - this is how pro athletes make a living, including your favorite nascar driver) He's already got some big name sponsors and a web site getting some good hit numbers. Instead of ignoring it, or refusing, or taking the offer (you know, the things a professional would do), you decide to drag his name through the mud on a notoriously nasty board. No class baby, no class.

I'm not sure this guy ranks up there with nascar drivers. and I don't think I would get much advertisement from his trail as he won't be using a tent (oh he was asking to advertise my socks! I forgot, I'll have to go make sone silnylon socks for him - they might get a bit slip slidey on the trail that way.

He could have been a bit more careful in the email.

Camping Dave
02-25-2012, 18:54
I'm not sure this guy ranks up there with nascar drivers. and I don't think I would get much advertisement from his trail as he won't be using a tent (oh he was asking to advertise my socks! I forgot, I'll have to go make sone silnylon socks for him - they might get a bit slip slidey on the trail that way.

He could have been a bit more careful in the email.

You said he pisses you off, is fishy, wants stuff for himself, and you hope he fails because you like JPD. And you got folks saying he's a fraud, they plan to trip him, hope he gets bit by a rattler (what kind of loser would say this?), etc. This has nothing to do with how "careful" his email is.

How would you like it if he and his friends started posting online reviews saying your gear is crap and customer service sucks and you commit fraud?

You should have just hit the delete key.

jbwood5
02-25-2012, 18:57

Professional Athlete???? That is a big stretch....
Now if he even finishes, I'll be congratulating him. If he breaks the record, I'll be more than astonished.
He is good at what does now, but there are 100's of non-professional athletes that have logged distances much further and would have a much better chance. This is just not something that most endurance athletes want to take on. The guy has more than guts to step up to the plate and try something like this. If he doesn't make it, who is going to loose? He may make it 800 miles or maybe 1800 miles. That is still a big accomplishment.

I think the question really is... should he be sponsored and funded knowing he has never made the attempt before? Did Horton, Palmer, Thompson, and others who were better qualified get any sponsorship?

...and another question... should someone who promotes businesses through sponsorship use a National Scenic Trail and a couple of National and State Parks?

HeartFire
02-25-2012, 19:17
You said he pisses you off, is fishy, wants stuff for himself, and you hope he fails because you like JPD. And you got folks saying he's a fraud, they plan to trip him, hope he gets bit by a rattler (what kind of loser would say this?), etc. This has nothing to do with how "careful" his email is.

How would you like it if he and his friends started posting online reviews saying your gear is crap and customer service sucks and you commit fraud?

You should have just hit the delete key.
I will hit the delete key from now on on this thread - you are looking for a fight, I'm not biting, I responded to your post politely, you are being a troll. Have a good day.

TD55
02-25-2012, 19:36
Has anyone ever attempted a yellow blaze speed record?

vamelungeon
02-25-2012, 19:48
Yes, its called auto racing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

jbwood5
02-25-2012, 19:51
Has anyone ever attempted a yellow blaze speed record?

Well, I got a buddy who is running across the Country San Francisco to Key West) starting in a few days. He is raising money for "Wounded Warrior Project". He hopes tp go 45 miles a day for 80 straight days. I'm not sure there is any speed records for that distance.
http://www.veteransenterprise.com/index.php/articles-online-magazine/articles/profiles/195-patriot-run-across-america

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 02:08
Actually Warren Doyle did it in less that 24 hours a year or so ago. Walked Springer, drove to Baxter SP and walked Katahdin. Now that's yellow blazing!

vamelungeon
02-26-2012, 08:51
Wow! I seem to recall that now. Supported or unsupported?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

thestin
03-17-2012, 21:55
Apparently he is running right now from Athens to Atlanta (around 80 miles) and then will run a marathon in Atlanta Sunday morning.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/does-running-100-miles-1388872.html

trucker2015
03-18-2012, 01:01
One of my pet peeves are trail runners in the Whites. Yep, we have some nice trails off the AT that are fine but I hate you tell you how many injuries we have up here. Most of the SAR's don't even make the news. I've had runners go by me on Lion's Head or down Valley Way. I said something to several young fools on Mount Adams last year that were in fivefingers & they yelled at me. Last I saw, one had fallen & was limping down. What's the rush?

One of my pet peeve as well.

nufsaid
03-18-2012, 09:34

He is at least honest about the fact he is bumming off others. From his site " Run Bum Sean is taking runnin n bummin to a new level."

Odd Man Out
05-14-2012, 20:06
The update from his FB page

"to everyone who has helped and who has believed in me i am sorry after puking and the other thing everywhere for the last couple of hours from what must have been from drinking some bad water... I am officially throwing in the towel for the Appalachian Trail after 6 days of heaven and hell. A long story to come. It was the best of times it was the worst of times. PS I NEVER WANNA SEE A MOUNTAIN TRAIL AGAIN ha! I will say I am now a different and better person for this. Thanks to all who helped I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!"

ChinMusic
05-14-2012, 20:28
How many pairs of shoes did he go through?

leaftye
05-14-2012, 21:15
Was he on the trail long enough to need to recharge his mp3 player? :banana

This guy is another prime example of why experience and wisdom matters much more than physical fitness. He was in fantastic physical shape, but was off the trail after 200 miles while doing an average pace of 30 miles a day. A really good long distance walker would have done as much, or more, possibly much more, and for much longer.

ScottP
05-16-2012, 08:27
Sean blanton, the runbum.com guy isn't a very impressive runner.

He's a 3:05 road marathoner. That's like the top end of hobby joggers. Doesn't even earn you a spot in boston.

Not even a little bit surprised that the AT cracked him.

Mikey Appleseed
05-16-2012, 12:36
Just a thought, how many marathons did W Leonard win? I beleive he was non gps tracked type, FKT must be upset. How come nobody disputes his record?(respect? or he just dont give a dam,he knows it) Did he run the A.T.? I always thought injury was more prone running than alpine style hiking, why run when you can walk all day(S Fox pct 2011)? How many books does Mr. Leonard have, or his motivation pure passion for the A.T.? Sorry, im just a curious cat.

Pedaling Fool
05-16-2012, 13:02
...I always thought injury was more prone running than alpine style hiking, why run when you can walk all day....No, running does not lead to more injuries; the bulk of the injuries are from people doing it wrong. Here's an article that explains it http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/why-runners-get-injured/

And it also answers why one should run vice walk -- as with everything it comes down to sex -- specifically, more sex... :D

"...Adam I. Daoud, a graduate student in the Skeletal Biology Laboratory (http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/) at Harvard and the lab’s director, Daniel Lieberman, an evolutionary biologist who co-wrote an influential 2004 paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15549097) suggesting that distance running guided the evolution of early man — with better runners earning more food and sex than plodders and passing along their genes — ..."

jersey joe
05-16-2012, 13:55
Speaking of speed hikes, anyone remember that guy Nature Boy who was going for the record a year or two ago before getting beat up? He just completed the McNaughton 500(500 miles) in a little over 8 days.
http://noboundariesmultisport.com/mcnaughton-500/

Mikey Appleseed
05-16-2012, 14:49
With all due respect John Gault, which is none because I dont know you, this does not say anywhere a comparison of regular hiking pace with a load vrs running with a load. I guess the supported record would be different for runners but this is the A.T. speed record thread, and I doubt it will ever be beaten in unsupported fashion. Thats my unrespectable opinion, and it looks safe for a while. Thanks for the effort though, it was good hearted, I think.......

tenn_hiker
05-16-2012, 16:03
With all due respect John Gault, which is none because I dont know you, this does not say anywhere a comparison of regular hiking pace with a load vrs running with a load. I guess the supported record would be different for runners but this is the A.T. speed record thread, and I doubt it will ever be beaten in unsupported fashion. Thats my unrespectable opinion, and it looks safe for a while. Thanks for the effort though, it was good hearted, I think.......
Can you not respect someone if you don't know them?
Just saying

Mikey Appleseed
05-16-2012, 16:31
Let me clarify, I doubt it will ever be beaten by a runner in unsupported fashion. As for respect, I use to give it away, but ive been way to bitter, pissed, and chock full of hate for others(not WB people per say), it leaves me numb to the needs of respect by people who have not earned mine. Thats my problem, not yours, nor do I ask for respect in return, if I wanted it, I would just take it. I also dont preach non respect, its a personal choice we all make that may change with age, booze, pills,relationships, bad jobs, bad tasting water, etc... or getting blindsided by piece of $%^& backstabbers of low character. Have a nice day.

Panzer1
05-16-2012, 16:35
send me a donation next. lol

Panzer

rocketsocks
05-16-2012, 17:09
Can you not respect someone if you don't know them?
Just sayingYes,but you can disrespect them tooand not know them.I don't think Mikey was trying to be disrespectful,just voicing his opinion based on his understanding of the situation,and in fact I think he was trying,"to be" respectful.jm2c and imhp.

Mikey Appleseed
05-16-2012, 17:47
The donation thing is off topic, yet it was started as a inside joke to make a fool of glorified weasels who take donations under the names of others and claim glory and praise. I took it to the level it needed to be to help them understand, AKA enlighten. To maintain topic on this post, let me just say, Go speed freaks! Get your sponsor on, why work for it. It makes quiting easier!