PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Resort, Dennis Cove, Near Hampton Tn.

Rocket_man
02-16-2012, 11:27
I visited Black Bear Resort in Dennis Cove on Feb 12th, 2012. I'm planning a section hike in April from Hot Springs to Dennis Cove area, wanted to check out Black Bear as a possible focal point for the section hike. I immediately reserved the Overlook cabin and shuttle services for my section hike.

Black Bear is planning to Open in May, 2012. Their services include: Lodging, RVing & Camping, Hiker lodging, shuttle service, etc.

They let me be their first informal "guest". The wood stove crackled and popped all night, music to a hikers ears. The Wood stove kept me toasty warm. I watched the snow fall that evening and woke to a nice new snow. In the morning I did a quick day hike to the falls, about 45 minute hike from the cabin i slept in. Then had to say good by and drive back home. A wonderfull short adventure and AT hike planning trip.

for Hikers looking for lodging/support in Hot Springs/North East Tennessee area, recommend you call Big Bear Resort in Dennis Cove. Phone: 423-Seven Two Five-5988. They are located .3 miles east of the AT on Dennis cove Rd. http://blackbearresorttn.com/contact-us.html

If you call them, tell em Rocket Man says high, I'll see them in April 2012!

Juice
02-16-2012, 13:41
Sounds good, thanks Rocketman.

waleska
08-26-2012, 20:00
Stayed 8.24. This place is great. Very clean bunkhouse and showers. Terrific friendly hosts - Bob and Marilou. Best hostel I have seem on the trail.

Drybones
08-26-2012, 20:45
These folks are great. Had to end my hike here 4/8/12 due to torn cartilage in the knee and a few other issues, got a ride to Tri-cities airport with the lady of the house, super nice person,looking forward to spending a night here when I return to the trail.

FarmerChef
04-03-2013, 11:12
I just stayed last week during a section hike with my family. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Sue and her husband take great care of hikers and ensure they have a comfortable experience. Sue stocked her camp store based on hiker recommendations and I can tell you that it is fairly priced and a great resupply point. She also has beer, sodas, gatorade etc., laundry, shuttles into Hampton ($8) for bigger resupply/food a hiker lounge, hostel and cabins. We chose a cabin due to our family size. The cabin has four wide bunks. My wife and I slept in one, two of my kids in another and my son in one of his own. All of us slept comfortably, including the dog who slept on the floor.

The cabins are unheated/cooled except that Sue provides a space heater in the cabin and other areas in the camp to warm them up. Though it was cool to cold at night we were quite comfortable. The resort is also located literally right next to a trout stream and it was wonderful to fall asleep to the bubbling sound.

I highly recommend a stay at the resort if it fits your schedule. We plan to go back when not hiking because we enjoyed it so much. No, it's not the Hilton but that's not what we were looking for.

Oh and the next morning we took the kids up to meet Bob Peoples (down the road) before hitting the trail again.

12-05-2013, 01:44
August 2013

One of the highlights of my section hike! Great people, located on the river, laundry facilities, good showers, clean bunks, internet, movies, food, and beer... what more could you ask for? The perfect respite before heading to Watauga or Roan. Bunkhouse: $15/night

FarmerChef
12-05-2013, 08:32
Glad to hear it pentz. Went back with my wife in July for a little vacation and had a blast fishing for trout in the stream. Did some day hikes and caught a drive in in nearby Elizabethton. It's a great launching point to explore the region and a definitely great spot on a section or thru hike.

mrcoffeect
12-05-2013, 11:17
Stayed with them early june 2012. I think the only way I could have felt more welcome is if they signed adoption papers on me.
Great folks:)

map man
12-05-2013, 12:36
I had a great experience there on a section hike in May 2013. One thing I really like about the place is that they get a much more diverse crowd than just hikers. I got to meet a few bikers during my stay.