PDA

View Full Version : Spring in the Whites?

chomp
03-21-2005, 11:09
Well, I spent the last full day of winter (Saturday) hiking in the Whites. My plan was to hike over Height and Carter Dome, but there was just too much snow. I made it up Height after breaking trail for over a half mile, and postholing with my snowshoes on. However, getting to Cater Dome was impossible. The snow was up to the white blazes and there was a good 8 feet of snow in the treetops. The pines were bent over and touching the snow - making route finding nearly impossible. It was a great day, however. But with that much snow up here, its not going anywhere anytime soon. Here are some photos:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-height05

chomp

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2005, 12:55
It was a great dayAlone on a winter mountain top under blue skies -
sure sounds great to me, Chomp!

WalkinHome
03-21-2005, 18:53
Hi Chomp,

We (5 friends and I) didn't get that carried away. We went into Sabbath Day Pond Shelter on snowshoes pulling sleds with our gear. We didn't use the AT as Bates Ledges would have done us all in. We hiked across Long Pond and Sabbath Day Pond so came in from the water. Try to do that this summer! About 3 miles one way and we spent the night and came out Sunday. Very pleasant. Will put pictures up soon. Hi to VSA and VBA.

walkin' wally
03-23-2005, 16:17
Nice pics, It must be great to be out there. :sun

WalkinHome
03-23-2005, 23:08
Yeah, decided to stop "giving away" the winter season. Invested a good chunk of change, bought some gear and glommed onto some good patient friends to get me started with winter stuff. Even checked out my section with snowshoes and it was great.

walkin' wally
03-24-2005, 11:49
Yeah, decided to stop "giving away" the winter season. Invested a good chunk of change, bought some gear and glommed onto some good patient friends to get me started with winter stuff. Even checked out my section with snowshoes and it was great.

What is your trail section to maintain? Mine is along Rainbow Lake.

WalkinHome
03-24-2005, 18:05
I have the last 1.4 miles (from Doughty Pond sidetrail-Highway in Monson) NOBO before you enter the wilderness. Sweet and easy piece but I wanted to not be too tied down to do other things for the club.