PDA

View Full Version : Snickers Bar Disaster

Rasty
02-16-2012, 18:07
This just in. Snickers bars will only be available in 250 calorie or less sizes.

Don H
02-16-2012, 18:13
Now I need 10 a day instead of 5! Don't they know we need the jumbo sized ones?

Miner
02-16-2012, 18:15
One of my favorite things to eat on the trail was a snickers bar with spoonfulls of peanut butter smeared on. Adding calories to a candy bar is such a trival (but tastey) thing to do.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 18:22
in all my years and miles on the AT i can say i never ate a snickers bar. or pop tarts

Rasty
02-16-2012, 18:31
It going to be all Mars brand items. I hope it does not include butterfingers! Or butterfinger crisp!

Spokes
02-16-2012, 18:40
There's a business opportunity for ya. Its called more nougat boys.......

Rasty
02-16-2012, 18:40
OK Thank God!!

Only Snickers, 3 Musketters, Milk Way, M&M.

Butterfingers are safe still.

RWheeler
02-16-2012, 18:48
Time to buy Snickers stock, then, because the purchase amounts are gonna double.

yappy
02-16-2012, 18:49
Thy r coming out w a pounder so don't worry

Don H
02-16-2012, 18:50
OK Thank God!!

Only Snickers, 3 Musketters, Milk Way, M&M.

Butterfingers are safe still.

Not for long, it's a conspiracy. Smaller portions to fight obesity.
Can I still but Nutella by the quart?

Juice
02-16-2012, 18:51
in all my years and miles on the AT i can say i never ate a snickers bar. or pop tarts

How is anyone supposed to take you seriously now?

just kidding

Don H
02-16-2012, 18:59
Strawberry PopTarts for me every morning. Once I accidentally picked up a box on non-frosted, I was a very unhappy hiker until the next resupply.

Spokes
02-16-2012, 18:59

just kidding

I know, even Big Foot eats a Zagnut bar every now and then.....

http://www.bigfootafterdark.com/2011/07/mike-green-thermal-of-bigfoot-eating.html

Rasty
02-16-2012, 19:09
He's gonna be pissed opening all those smaller candy bars.

just kidding

I know, even Big Foot eats a Zagnut bar every now and then.....

http://www.bigfootafterdark.com/2011/07/mike-green-thermal-of-bigfoot-eating.html

CrumbSnatcher
02-16-2012, 19:21
i only like poptarts hot out of the toaster, with a big glass of cow juice!

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 19:52
It's just a stupid marketing gimmick to make people feel good about taking in less calories, but they'll just make it up elsewhere. It's like people that have super economical cars driving more, thus not really saving on gas or fat people drinking diet coke.

Once you get beyond how pathetic it is, it's kind of funny:)

Rasty
02-16-2012, 19:56
Not a marketing gimick. They are being pressured by the federal government to reduce the calories to meet some new guidelines.

rocketsocks
02-16-2012, 20:06
Pop tart smores:love em!

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2012, 20:07
Not a marketing gimick. They are being pressured by the federal government to reduce the calories to meet some new guidelines.I only read one source and it seemed like the company was being proactive on all the stuff coming out of the govt. Maybe there was some forcing or "incentives" from the govt, but I haven't seen it yet. Regardless, the effect is the same.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/15/146929211/goodbye-to-the-king-size-mars-to-downsize-candy-bars-in-2013

An excerpt:

The company tells The Salt it will be replaced with bags of two or four smaller bars. The idea is to "enable sharing or saving a portion for later," according to a Mars spokesperson.
With all the fixation on our civilization's expanding waistlines, it's not that there are bad foods, just big foods. That means you won't be seeing lower-calorie chocolate or caramel — just less of it.

Tuckahoe
02-16-2012, 20:39
Im cool with this... for my candy fix I usually use the fun size and portion a couple to three a day. That way I can get variaty and I dont have to open a larger candy bar that I might not want to finish.

On the other hand the issue really is kinda silly. Snickers king-size has been turned into duo packaging and rather than having 1 3.5 ounce bar, its now packed as two bars totaling 3.29 ounce. M&Ms king size is now the "tear and share" package. Does anyone really think that a duo size or tear and share is going to change anyones habbits? All that happens is the nanny staters feel good, and a company like Mars is able to downsize a product while holding steady on price. All the while those that want lots of candy will just buy more product.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2012, 21:35

just kidding

what you mean? what's changed?

hikerboy57
02-16-2012, 21:37
Time to buy Snickers stock, then, because the purchase amounts are gonna double.they just announced a stock split.

hikerboy57
02-16-2012, 21:39
Not a marketing gimick. They are being pressured by the federal government to reduce the calories to meet some new guidelines.
all they have to do in that case is have the label say 2 servings, instead of one(this is the cuter marketing gimmick).. problem solved.

ki0eh
02-16-2012, 22:52
Time to switch to Fast Break http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/products/reeses-fast-break/candy-bar.aspx even made within sight of the Trail near Waynesboro, VA

Leanthree
02-16-2012, 23:17
Am I the only one who sees this for what it is, reducing product size to save money because the input costs have gone up. Now they can give you 10% less snickers for the same price. The 250 calorie or less nonsense is just a smart marketing making the best of a production decision.

Kookork
02-16-2012, 23:30

What about your non AT life? Have you been interested on snickers bars? Do you like them?

Tinker
02-16-2012, 23:43
This just in. Snickers bars will only be available in 250 calorie or less sizes.

HERESY!!!!! To the GALLOWS with ye, M&M Mars!:mad:

Bronk
02-17-2012, 01:12
They will keep the price the same...its a cost cutting measure that will increase their profit dramatically with the side benefit of all the free publicity they will get.

They still make the 1lb pack of Reese's cups:

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=33863

ki0eh
02-17-2012, 09:28
They will keep the price the same...its a cost cutting measure that will increase their profit dramatically with the side benefit of all the free publicity they will get.

They still make the 1lb pack of Reese's cups:

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=33863

Officially 12 (!) servings: http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/products/reeses-peanut-butter-cups/1lb.aspx

Lone Wolf
02-17-2012, 09:41
What about your non AT life? Have you been interested on snickers bars? Do you like them?

no. not much of a candy eater. i like gummi bears though

double d
02-17-2012, 10:20
snickers are the wonder food of hiking!

Lando11
02-17-2012, 10:35
Snickers are overrated anyway. Now if they reduced the calories on honey buns or whoopie pies, I would never hike again!

Ktaadn
02-17-2012, 13:25
Am I the only one who sees this for what it is, reducing product size to save money because the input costs have gone up. Now they can give you 10% less snickers for the same price. The 250 calorie or less nonsense is just a smart marketing making the best of a production decision.

Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hershey's sold a chocolate bar for a nickel? When the first sold it, it was a full size bar and they had to keep shrinking it in order to keep the price at a nickel. Eventually it was so small that they had to stop selling it. Leanthree, you haven't discovered some amazing piece of marketing or economics, it's just a natural progression.

oops56
02-17-2012, 13:34
a 5 cent candy bar 5 cent popcorn and 10 cent movies i am old lol

Old Hiker
02-17-2012, 13:55
a 5 cent candy bar 5 cent popcorn and 10 cent movies i am old lol

30 cents per gallon gas, using Mom's Fury III at 12 mpg. Flip the air breather top over and it sounded awesome. I used $60 one month on Dad's credit card and walked/biked for the next two months!

Paydays for me!

Tuckahoe
02-17-2012, 14:26
Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hershey's sold a chocolate bar for a nickel? When the first sold it, it was a full size bar and they had to keep shrinking it in order to keep the price at a nickel. Eventually it was so small that they had to stop selling it. Leanthree, you haven't discovered some amazing piece of marketing or economics, it's just a natural progression.

Really?? I'm older than you, and the cheapest I can remember candy bars being priced is $0.40 to $0.50 range. I also happen to have a small collection of WW1 and 1920s era candy bar wrappers. They are all labeled in a 1 to 1 1/4 ounce size. On the other hand most "standard" size candy bars on the shelves at my local WaWa are 1 1/2 ounce. Where did the shrinkage come in?

And while I dont doubt there is some benefit to candy manufactures downsizing their larger portion packaging, its not much. The reduction in the Snickers from the king-size to the duo is a difference of .11 ounce... thats right tenth of an ounce. However, much of the push to make portion reductions has come from European governments rather than just the manufactures themselves.

wornoutboots
02-17-2012, 14:29
Yeah, I heard Michelle Obama say it was Bush's faul : O /

Ktaadn
02-17-2012, 15:08
Really?? I'm older than you, and the cheapest I can remember candy bars being priced is $0.40 to $0.50 range. I also happen to have a small collection of WW1 and 1920s era candy bar wrappers. They are all labeled in a 1 to 1 1/4 ounce size. On the other hand most "standard" size candy bars on the shelves at my local WaWa are 1 1/2 ounce. Where did the shrinkage come in?

And while I dont doubt there is some benefit to candy manufactures downsizing their larger portion packaging, its not much. The reduction in the Snickers from the king-size to the duo is a difference of .11 ounce... thats right tenth of an ounce. However, much of the push to make portion reductions has come from European governments rather than just the manufactures themselves.

I didn't say that I remembered the $.05 bar. I was just asking if anyone else did. A quick search of the internet will give you the history.

Hershey Chocolate Company began marketing its standard size chocolate bars for a nickel ($.05) in 1900, setting a standard for the United States confectionery industry that continued until 1969.

atraildreamer
02-17-2012, 15:28
Not for long, it's a conspiracy. Smaller portions to fight obesity.
Can I still but Nutella by the quart?

Probably to cut production costs...bet the price will remain the same for the smaller sized bar(s). :mad:

Sorry...I repeated what Leanthree and Bronk said in earlier posts. :o Guess I should read the entire thread before spouting off! :D

Senor Jalapeno
02-17-2012, 15:52
Noooooooooooo!

daddytwosticks
02-17-2012, 16:29
Thank GOD the government Food Police are here to save me....let's just hope for some change. ;)

sbhikes
02-17-2012, 18:08
I remember 5 cent candy bars. They were bigger then, too. I also remember when they went up to 10 cents. The bastards.

hikerboy57
02-17-2012, 18:15
we have an old fashioned candy store that still sells"penny candy".
prices start at 5 cents

aaronthebugbuffet
02-17-2012, 18:21
Boom! Obesity epidemic solved.

fiddlehead
02-17-2012, 21:51
I think the decision will have some impact on the obesity epidemic in the US.
I have never seen the huge jumbo sized Snickers here in Thailand.
And last year, we even stopped seeing the large size.
Now, only small and smaller.

I often think one reason Thai people are so skinny is the size of the portions comparably to what you get in a restaurant in the states.
Also, the diet of course (lots of rice and fish and fresh veggies here) but, eating like a pig makes one look like a pig.

Hikers of course are different, trying our best to maintain weight and the bigger calorie count, the better.
So, it's not a good thing for long distance backpacking but, IMO, a good thing for Americans in general.

Reducing the size of all candy bars will increase the cost of a thru-hike and your garbage carry-out, but there will be more room on your flight or bus ride to the trail.

mikec
02-17-2012, 21:57
But if you have to buy more Snickers, Milky Ways and Mars bars in order to get the same caloric intake, then Mars will make more money.

fiddlehead
02-17-2012, 22:04
But if you have to buy more Snickers, Milky Ways and Mars bars in order to get the same caloric intake, then Mars will make more money.
Or hikers will get more creative in their snack choices.
P-nut butter & Nutella with some nuts thrown in works too. Add some coconut or marshmallow or, whatever.
Less garbage too.

birdygal
02-17-2012, 22:08
It's just a stupid marketing gimmick to make people feel good about taking in less calories, but they'll just make it up elsewhere. It's like people that have super economical cars driving more, thus not really saving on gas or fat people drinking diet coke.

Once you get beyond how pathetic it is, it's kind of funny:)

Those Diet Cokes are what let me eat a snickers bar and stay thin when I was younger maybe that is why I was thin they didn't have the giant sizes

aaronthebugbuffet
02-17-2012, 23:10
Or hikers will get more creative in their snack choices.
P-nut butter & Nutella with some nuts thrown in works too. Add some coconut or marshmallow or, whatever.
Less garbage too.

Nutella is garbage.

quilteresq
02-17-2012, 23:15
30 cents per gallon gas, using Mom's Fury III at 12 mpg. Flip the air breather top over and it sounded awesome. I used $60 one month on Dad's credit card and walked/biked for the next two months!

Paydays for me!

I graduated from college with about enough left over after I sold my books back to put gas in the car and get home. I had to refill with my last .38 cents to make it the last 10 miles - 1975. So, yes, I remember nickel candy bars.

Bronk
02-18-2012, 01:12
Snickers are overrated anyway. Now if they reduced the calories on honey buns or whoopie pies, I would never hike again!

They make a super size honey bun that is like 800 or 900 calories...I remember being so excited when I found them because I was losing too much weight and was having a hard time finding ways to get more calories.

swjohnsey
02-18-2012, 09:17
I hate it when folks piss on my leg and claim it's raining. You need a magnfying glass to read the labels these day. Oh for the days of one ounce Nestles Crunch for a nickel.