PDA

View Full Version : When do you need to commit by?

blackbird04217
02-17-2012, 04:30
This question may be odd, and I admit to needing to do more research in general on thru-hiking the PCT. I could, given the financial resources, decide March 15th to hike the AT and be hiking by April without much worry at all. Probably because I've done it before, probably because it is on the east coast, etc...

My question stems from the fact that I recently lost my job (last month) and my first thought was to look into thru-hiking the PCT, but funds were too low. I _may_ have found a short-term contract position that would keep me busy until mid/late-march. I haven't stopped my job searching, but I wonder if I get the contract position, if I'd have enough time to commit for a PCT thru-hike once finished if I still don't have a long term position lined up by then.

I believe mid-April is a typical start date for the PCT? Is it stupid to consider waiting until late March to commit to such a feat?

I may as well wait for another year when my career decides to drop the floor, I can safely assume this will not be the last time I find myself in this position.

BrianLe
02-17-2012, 12:18
Since you've hiked another trail and presumably have at least most of the gear you need, you should be all right I think. I started in late April, and that was right in the middle of "the herd" (which for me at least was a good experience). You'll want to order Yogi's guide ASAP if you plan to go and start working through that for prep. Otherwise all I can think of is getting your "thru-hikers permit" from pcta.org and starting the process to legally walk into Canada at the end. If you have no passport, you might want to see if your state supports the so-called "enhanced" drivers license. Okay, and get and learn to use an ice axe if you're not already good on that.
In your shoes, I'd just go to the kickoff (ADZPCTKO) and start right after it --- that's what I did and it worked out great.

Miner
02-17-2012, 12:39
Though most start in mid to late April, many hikers don't start until the early part of May and found it a better time for arriving at the Sierra Nevada since most starting in April arrive too early and have to deal with more snow which slows them down. There will be less hikers then, but there will still be several around you. So you can wait until sometime in April to decide.

If you buy Yogi's PCT Handbook ahead of time, it will tell you all you need to know to plan your hike, transportation to trailhead, resupplies, type of gear that people use (with different opinions) and which guidebooks are available (you can't actually hike the trail with just her handbook, though it adds great supplemental material). If you have your gear prepared ahead of time, I only think you'd need a few days to get ready to leave for the trail (providing you were able to get a cheap flight off priceline since you won't have time to purchase ahead to get a lower price, though you could just take the train).

frisbeefreek
02-18-2012, 23:59
I decided in mid-April to hike the PCT (because it had rained 24/30 days on the AT and I was staring to mildew) and started May 10th. The pack travels pretty slowly until Kennedy Meadows (700 miles). Basically, if you don't mind hiking along and pulling 25mpd, May 20th is a piece of cake. Remember that miles on the PCT are much easier than the AT. Later start means easier going in the Sierras (but you need to finish on time in Washington or risk snow).

handlebar
02-20-2012, 21:25
So far this year, the snowpack is very low in S and Central CA, so you could probably safely start mid-April. If pack stays low, you may not need an ice ax. Plan on averaging about 50% or miles/day than you did on the AT.

blackbird04217
02-21-2012, 05:30
Okay perhaps I wrote my question in a confusing manner, though it is nice to know that mid/late-April would be a decent target start date. I keep hearing everyone say expect to do more miles, I can't imagine myself doing more miles, even on 'flatter' / better graded terrain. I'm sure it would work itself out though, after all, it's just walking.

I could commit to thru-hike the AT and be on trial within a week no problem; however I see that the PCT requires permits, and other logistics that simply do not exist on the AT. Given that I can't currently make the commitment, how quickly after making the commitment would it take to get started down the trail?

I'm trying to gauge how plausible it is, although I realize the stars need to align for me. Is it worth looking into for this year, or holding off for a year where I could commit much earlier. It seems from frisbeefreeks experience it would take about 2 weeks or so.

Thanks all for your help, insight and advice. I appreciate it.

Mags
02-21-2012, 10:19
Okay perhaps I wrote my question in a confusing manner, though it is nice to know that mid/late-April would be a decent target start date. I keep hearing everyone say expect to do more miles, I can't imagine myself doing more miles, even on 'flatter' / better graded terrain. I'm sure it would work itself out though, after all, it's just walking.

You do more miles because there are no lean-tos with shelter registers to read, less trail angels, less opportunities to stop at a country grocery store for a soda, etc. Basically you walk. If you get into camp at 4-5pm like many people who do the AT, you may find that you are by yourself and have lots of daylight. Most people come to conclusion "May as well walk".

Good luck...and have fun!

Miner
02-21-2012, 16:53
I don't see the problem. All you resupplies can be arranged from the trail. While most places you can buy as you go, a few places have very limited selection, but you can buy supplies in one town and mail them ahead. The only place you'd need to mail before you start hiking is Warner Springs which can be done in San Diego when you arrive; some of the local trail angels can even take you to the store and post office before dropping you off at the trail. You really don't need to do alot of planning ahead of time other then gear. And as I recommended before, buy Yogi's PCT Handbook which covers all these issues. Other then getting the PCTA thru-hiker permit and applying for a Canadian Entry and possibily a passport, I would think nothing about starting with a weeks notice. And all of those can be done now even if you decide not to hike. Nothing says you have to actually use that permit.

blackbird04217
02-24-2012, 14:18
Well, no more worrying about this, officially won't be able to get the finances this year, the possible contract fell through. No worries though, I am sure sometime in the future I'll get around to it and likely be better prepared.