PDA

View Full Version : Starting NOBO's Springer Sign-in

Razor
02-17-2012, 13:21
All nobo's should remember to sign the book that is inside the rock under the plaque at the start of the trail @ Springer. It is important for many reasons including trail usage and funding based on that number. It is especially important for those who are starting at the parking lot because that is the only method that is used to capture those numbers.. We lost a lot of start numbers last year because many didn't even know there was a sign in there! Have a great hike and see you there:) ..

max patch
02-17-2012, 13:24
If its that important then shouldn't have hidden the box inside that rock.

They used to have a big ole black mailbox that even Bill Irwin coulda seen.

Razor
02-17-2012, 13:32
I can't explain it---I just work with it!----It doesn't take away the importance.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2012, 13:34
All nobo's should remember to sign the book that is inside the rock under the plaque at the start of the trail @ Springer. It is important for many reasons including trail usage and funding based on that number. It is especially important for those who are starting at the parking lot because that is the only method that is used to capture those numbers.. We lost a lot of start numbers last year because many didn't even know there was a sign in there! Have a great hike and see you there:) ..

most starting hikers don't come to this website. the ATC should pay someone to sit up there if numbers are so important

wornoutboots
02-17-2012, 14:41
it's confusing at that parking lot as well! there needs to be better signage point N & S. At least I didn't see any??

Storm
02-17-2012, 16:37
it's confusing at that parking lot as well! there needs to be better signage point N & S. At least I didn't see any??

Yeah, especially since the trail actually runs east and west there. LOL

Don H
02-17-2012, 17:59
I didn't sign in last year because I didn't know the book was under the rock! If they want people to sign it they should put the book in a box on a tree along the trail. That's where I would expect a trail register to be.

TOMP
02-17-2012, 18:17
Is this the only sign in? I have heard people say that there is some sort of building in the park that has one.

Spokes
02-17-2012, 18:25
If its that important then shouldn't have hidden the box inside that rock.

They used to have a big ole black mailbox that even Bill Irwin coulda seen.

Maybe they should have put it inside a non-pliable bear resistant container?

No, that would probably require some sort of signed order.....

jacob_springsteen
02-17-2012, 20:09
All nobo's should remember to sign the book that is inside the rock under the plaque at the start of the trail @ Springer.

I liked the terminus a little bit more when it had that big 'Stuckey's 400 yards ' sign on it. I think there was a mailbox nearby it then for the sign-in.

SawnieRobertson
02-18-2012, 10:42
I liked the terminus a little bit more when it had that big 'Stuckey's 400 yards ' sign on it. I think there was a mailbox nearby it then for the sign-in.

Good grief! When was that?--Kinnickinic

springerfever
02-18-2012, 10:59
There is a sign-in at the ranger headquarters at Amicacola Park, the beginning of the approach trail. Most will want to sign also atop Springer. Don't forget to pick a 'small' rock/pebble to carry all the way to Katahdin !!!

jacob_springsteen
02-18-2012, 11:50
Good grief! When was that?--Kinnickinic

Until the early 1990's if memory serves me right. It was a big gaudy sign that announced the southern terminus of the AT.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
02-18-2012, 15:43
My goodness, if you walk to the top of Springer Mountain, take in the view ,take time for a photo op, it is hard to miss the box. I noticed the rectangular steel box with the handle on the side of the rock formation next to the plaque. found the in book. Please don't drink the Guinness, I left it for a SOBO'er. If I could find it most anyone could find it. Thanks for reminding us to sign in, I was up there in Dec .and will kick off my GA-MA thru mid-march.

Miner
02-18-2012, 20:23
This sounds like how many PCT thru-hikers don't find the register at the Canadian border inside the metal Washington border monument.

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 18:37
I'm looking forward to signing in - just a couple more weeks...