PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Sorta Overwhemled for my 2012 JMT Thru

wornoutboots
02-17-2012, 15:17
I've never flown or taken a train to hike a trail before so I'm looking for any advice I can get. I'm hiking it Sobo starting the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th week in August. I plan on it taking @ 15 or so days.

1)Should I put in for permits now? What or how many permits do I need? I'm doing it solo & I hear it's easier to get a permit/s that way?

2)Also I have conflicting info on the bears out there, are there or are there not Grizzley's on the JMT? Does eveyone carry bear spray?

3)Where should I stay the night or 2 before starting my hike so I can get acclimated to the elevations?

4)I want to hike up Half Dome while on the trail, what's the best way to do this? I hear there is a camp site a few miles away that I can stash my pack?

5) are there any MUST SEE other sites?

So as yo ucan see, I have a ton of thoughts going thru my head.

Thanks for the Help!

tdoczi
02-17-2012, 16:32
i cant answer most of your questions, but there are no grizzlies in CA

royalusa
02-17-2012, 17:03
Although we did the trail last year, I can't answer many of your questions either as we did it as part of larger 560-mile hike (Tahoe Rim Trail then PCT south to the JMT and then thru'ed the JMT). But I did notice this on TJ that will answer some of your questions: http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=61499

And the JMT Yahoo Group may be able to help you better: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

Our journal talks a bit about our resupply strategy and may answer other questions you might have:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12749
www.youtube.com/user/royalusa/videos

It was a awesome trip! You're going to love it!

BobTheBuilder
02-17-2012, 17:16
0 for 3 (kind of) on answering your questions, but I'll answer one you didn't ask. If you are flying, get a cheap large duffle bag to put your pack and gear in when you check it. All the straps on your bag can catch on all of the mechanical bag-handling equipment, leaving you with torn up stuff. Just makes it a lot easier to transport.

TOMP
02-17-2012, 18:15
Cant help with the questions but I wanted to give you some encouragement. Its ok to feel anxious about something you have never done before. The good news is you will only feel that way until you actually do it. So have fun, sounds like an awesome trip.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-18-2012, 00:57
1 - depends where you want to start. At Happy Isles, it's pretty much booked solid now anyway, but other trailheads may have an opening. Will you be on a tight schedule? if not, get a walk up permit.

2 - Caliornia black bears are surfer dudes up there, relax. No bear spray, but bear canister for food required.

3 - Tuolumne Meadows Campground, hike around the area

4 - get a permit.... with the JMT permit you may have a shot, if you just want to do it on the side, you're competing for limited number of permits. Not worth the hassle - do Clouds Rest instead. Much better view, no permit, and you actually get to see Half Dome.

5 - too many to list

I've never flown or taken a train to hike a trail before so I'm looking for any advice I can get. I'm hiking it Sobo starting the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th week in August. I plan on it taking @ 15 or so days.

1)Should I put in for permits now? What or how many permits do I need? I'm doing it solo & I hear it's easier to get a permit/s that way?

2)Also I have conflicting info on the bears out there, are there or are there not Grizzley's on the JMT? Does eveyone carry bear spray?

3)Where should I stay the night or 2 before starting my hike so I can get acclimated to the elevations?

4)I want to hike up Half Dome while on the trail, what's the best way to do this? I hear there is a camp site a few miles away that I can stash my pack?

5) are there any MUST SEE other sites?

So as yo ucan see, I have a ton of thoughts going thru my head.

Thanks for the Help!

ChinMusic
02-18-2012, 01:10
wornoutboots - If you are not a purist (eq don't have to hike every inch of the JMT), take the side trail up and over Clouds Rest. It will add 6ish? miles to your hike and you can thank us later for the experience. You will only miss a small, bland section of the JMT in doing so.

Hole-In-The-Hat
02-18-2012, 01:20
1. Permit: you can apply for a permit by sending a FAX 24 weeks before your desired start date. If you don't get one in that day's lottery, you can apply each day. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm Or as mentioned above you can get a walk-up permit if you have a little flexibility.

3. If you're starting from Yosemite Valley or Tuolumne Meadows, You can stay the night before your departure at the designated backpacker's camp.

Miner
02-18-2012, 01:25
1) If you have a set schedule, put in for your permit as early as possible. There are some walk in permits available each day and for the record I have always gotten a permit for any hike I wanted. Show up early the day before you want to start when permits for a given day first come available. If you miss getting one, try again the following day by showing up even earlier. Show up on a weekday instead of a weekend. Consider starting at Tuolumne Meadows and day hike the trail inbetween there and Yosemite Valley (easier downhill anyway). You can always start at a different trailhead and hike over to the JMT to start if you still can't get a permit.

2) While ironically, a grizzly bear is on the state flag, they were all killed more then 100 years ago. Only black bears are left who are very very good at getting hiker food. You will need to rent a bear can from the ranger station when you get your permit. You mail it back to them when you finish. There are places that everyone wants to camp at and the bears know it. Consider spending part of the day there to enjoy it but move on to camp. Consider cooking dinner before reaching camp to keep smells away. A bear has a far better nose then a dog. Though, if everything fits in your bear can, you can camp anywhere if the sound of a bear moving through the camp at night won't keep you awake (they aren't going to hurt you if you aren't sleeping with food). Just make sure you keep your stuff in the bear can and the lid is LOCKED when unattended even for a few minutes. Don't leave a bear can next to a stream or next to a hill. Bears sometimes hit the can around to see if it will open. It would suck for your food to float downstream. Never leave your pack unattended while you go into the bushes to do your personal business. A bear only needs a minute to grab it and then its his not yours. Because you know you probaly left a granola or snickers bar in the hipbelt pocket. If you have a bear encounter, take a few photos, stand your ground and make alot of noise and it will move off (unless you are between it and a cub).

3) There is a shuttle bus that will take you to Tuolumne Meadows from the Valley and vice-versa. Camp there and enjoy the area. Try a day hike to Glen Aulin and beyond. Since you are there anyway, consider day hiking down to the valley (downhill) and starting your JMT journey north from the Meadow instead.

4) The last few years they have really reduced the numbers allowed to hike up half dome. It use to be a continous line going up and took forever on a weekend. If you can't get one ahead of time, try the same strategy for getting a walk in permit above. Most people drop their packs at the base and hike up. There is a nearby camping area, Little Yosemite Valley, but its very popular. A JMT permit will either have you camping there or be a pass-thru permit where you have to hike a certain distance past it.

5) The JMT already has plenty of must see sights. The Sierra Neveda is full of such sights but you won't have the energy or time to explore more. Come back again the following summer and spend a month hiking the area. Make sure you hike through Devil's Postpile instead of following the JMT around it (horse restriction causes the trail to bypass it).

lwood414
02-18-2012, 01:28
Get your permits now. I have hiked the JMT and the PCT and never saw one bear. You do need to carry a bear cansiter though. They are required. Don't take bear spray. Hike Half Dome, never know might be your only chance. Everything on the JMT is a must see ;) Just get out there and walk. Don't stress on getting used to the elevation. Go as light as possible you will enjoy it more.

lwood414
02-18-2012, 01:29
Oh and most stay campsite Rae Lakes ;)

nawlunz
02-18-2012, 19:45
You need to join the JMT Group on Yahoo.com.....I got most, if not all, my questions answered there. Great resource!!

wornoutboots
02-18-2012, 22:02
Excellent!! Thanks everyone!

jacob_springsteen
02-18-2012, 22:23
Oh and most stay campsite Rae Lakes ;)

Yeah, I'll second that. The times I have hiked the JMT I've never set up my itinerary to camp at Rae Lakes. In retrospect, you could spend a few days just hiking around that area in general it is so majestic. Next time I go, I'll camp at Rae Lakes. I believe it has a bear box too. Eight-point bucks came up to us, within a few yards, there.

Sly
02-18-2012, 22:50
You need to join the JMT Group on Yahoo.com.....I got most, if not all, my questions answered there. Great resource!!

Looks like he got all of them answer here! ;)