PDA

View Full Version : Boots that will last - Vasque Sundowner or Asolo Sasslong?

imaginateer
02-17-2012, 16:42
I bought Vasque Wasatch but after reading some terrible reviews of them falling apart after 25 miles (yeah, pathetic huh?), I've returned them and I need new ones. I'm looking at Vasque Sundowner and Asolo Sasslong but I've read that they're now manufactured in China and made of poor material. Feedback anyone? Has anyone here tried thru hiking on one pair of boots? Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Juice
02-17-2012, 16:49
I've always been fond of Scarpa boots but I'll be wearing trail runners.

Rasty
02-17-2012, 16:53
I have a 22 year old pair of sundowners. Still waterproof. I only use them doing ice carvings now. Switched to lightweight hiking shoes. The sundowners are great for kicking waste ice out of the way and heavy duty in case ten pound chunks fall on me.

Juice
02-17-2012, 17:25
Sadly, Vasque changed the design of sundowners in the early-mid 90's. I inherited a pair of the old style and I wouldn't touch the newer ones. The older ones weren't made in china either.

TOMP
02-17-2012, 18:11
Lots of stuff is made in China, I wouldnt let that be the only factor. I think its more about the brand, is it a brand that has a high quality standard, low quality standard, used to be high but now low quality standard. Do they cut corners and provide cheap options as well as other higher quality options. A few brands stick out to me as being high quality on all thier products; Scarpa, La Sportiva, Black Diamond, Patagonia, Gregory. This is clearly a place for bias, but here are some popular but often low quality brands, not saying they dont have some good stuff just not in my experience; The North Face, REI brands (most store brands too I just have experience with REI, cheap but lower quality but that is generally what they seem to be aiming for), Columbia (shoes), LL bean. There are other but these are the brands I would never buy again.

I have never owned Vasque or Asolo both are popular choices, but if you returned a pair of Vasque because you were afraid of low quality I would be concerned that low quality is a standard in thier other shoes as well. And generally I hear more good things about Asolo from the people I hike with.

Blue Jay
02-17-2012, 19:37
Anything that lasts will weigh at least a pound a piece and that's a ton per mile.

Cosmo
02-17-2012, 20:46
I've been using Sundowners for years both for trail work and hiking. I probably have them on at least 3 days a week pretty regularly. I get 2-3 seasons of wear before the toe crease starts to wear out. The goretex ones (the only type you can find un-insulated, I think) are waterproof-ish for about 8 months, but they are pretty sweaty.

As others have said, many hikers now go with trail runners (and appropriately lightweight gear)--plus nothing stays wet and heavy like an all leather boot. Myself, I haven't had the confidence to make the transition to lighter footwear, I really like the way a heavier boot gives a feeling of protection from rocky terrain, and I always wear them when doing any kind of trail work.

Cosmo

Grampie
02-17-2012, 23:42
LL Bean guarentees their boots. :sun

DeerPath
02-18-2012, 15:44
Just ordered Wolverine Fulcrum boots. Weigh 1.1 lbs ea. Try for 30 days and return if not happy. Take a look.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26216M/0/Mens/Fulcrum-Wolverine-ICS-Mid-Cut-Gore-Tex-Off-Road-Hiker?dimensions=0

winger
02-19-2012, 18:39
Been quite a while since I've been on WhiteBlaze. But in response to your question, I have a very old pair of Vasque Sundowners, still wear them occasionally, but I like the fit of the Asolos better. Both are excellent boots for those that disdain trail runners.