PDA

View Full Version : How can you make reservations when you don't know when you'll arrive?

Janeway
02-17-2012, 20:32
I keep hearing mention about making reservations (SNP, GSMNP, AMC huts) and I haven't worried too much about it, but since I'm down to my last week prepping and afraid I might run out of things to worry about (HA!), I started wondering about this. I you don't know when you're going to arrive, how do you make reservations? Do you wait until you're getting close and then call?

10-K
02-17-2012, 20:37
You won't need any reservations for SNP or GSMNP. I did work for stay in the huts - no info there.

double j
02-17-2012, 21:02
none needed if your thru hiking if section hiking i think its 70 miles before the smokies and 70 miles after

Sailing_Faith
02-17-2012, 21:06
I believe the "reservations" you may have heard about for the SNP are for the PATC huts. These are additional shelters only useable for folks with reservations, who pay money.... you do not need to worry about this. SNP has lots of good shelters, and plenty of places to camp.

Someone else can address the GSMNP, but I suspect there are no reservations that you will have to worry about on your hike... it would be pretty tough to coordinate such a thing with the necessarily loose schedule you are likely to have.

Cookerhiker
02-17-2012, 21:29
none needed if your thru hiking if section hiking i think its 70 miles before the smokies and 70 miles after

Unless they just changed it, the rule is 50 miles.

So for the OP, if you're thruhiking, you don't have to worry about reservations in the Smokies.

Skyline
02-17-2012, 21:43
I believe the "reservations" you may have heard about for the SNP are for the PATC huts. These are additional shelters only useable for folks with reservations, who pay money.... you do not need to worry about this. SNP has lots of good shelters, and plenty of places to camp.

Someone else can address the GSMNP, but I suspect there are no reservations that you will have to worry about on your hike... it would be pretty tough to coordinate such a thing with the necessarily loose schedule you are likely to have.

No charge to stay in PATC huts in SNP. Within the Park, what we typically call "shelters" are called "huts." These are three-sided structures with a sleeping platform.

Their are "lodges" and "campgrounds" within SNP that one usually needs a reservation for. These are commercial facilities, or are run like commercial facilities. AT hikers may avail themselves of these amenities for a fee, but there are enough free "huts" and backcountry campsites that it is not necessary.

You do need a (free) backcountry permit to camp in the woods or stay at a "hut" within SNP, obtainable at self-reg kiosks on the AT near either the southern or northern boundary points; at Park visitor centers, at Skyline Drive entrance stations, or in advance through SNP HQ.

Stir Fry
02-17-2012, 21:43
GSMNP if you start 50 mikes befor the park and end 50 miles past the park you do not need reservations. They hold 4 spaces for thru hiker at all shelters on the AT.

Janeway
02-17-2012, 21:54
OK, that's a load off my mind. Now I can get back to the fun worries, like will Aqua Mira work in March or should I go for the added weight of my Steripen?

Sailing_Faith
02-17-2012, 22:35
No charge to stay in PATC huts in SNP. Within the Park, what we typically call "shelters" are called "huts." These are three-sided structures with a sleeping platform......

yes, actually there is. Here is a link. (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/patccabins.htm) Yes, it is confusing for the casual reader, because of the whole hut / shelter / cabin thing... the maps for the park list the cabins as 'PATC Cabin, Locked'. They are locked, and not available for use unless you have a reservation... You can contact the PATC for more info or click on their link here. (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Cabins/PublicView/Custom/PATC_Cabins/Cabins.aspx?hkey=5f0b8e83-6571-45fb-aec3-819ca09d651c) or call (from their site);

PATC Cabins

Standard PATC Cabin reservations may only be made by calling or visiting our Headquarters (703/242-0315, 118 Park Street SE, Vienna, VA 22180) between 7:00pm and 9:00pm, Monday through Thursday, or between 12:00noon and 2:00pm on Thursday or Friday.

Papa D
02-17-2012, 23:15
OK, that's a load off my mind. Now I can get back to the fun worries, like will Aqua Mira work in March or should I go for the added weight of my Steripen?

Aqua Mira will work fine and the 50 miles before and after is accurate (of course that's more or less an honor system thing)

Janeway
02-18-2012, 10:06
Thanks, Papa D. Leaving the Steripen and taking Aqua Mira. Gotta keep the weight down somehow!

Ron Haven
02-18-2012, 10:34
The only reservation you will need is transportation to start. Then go with the flow..