PDA

View Full Version : Neoair xlite

HeartFire
02-17-2012, 21:25
Has anyone seen the new (2012) neoair? I saw it at REI a few days ago - boy if you thought the original yellow one was crinkly you are in for a surprise. I won't be spending my money on this years neoair (and I need a new one). the fabric is translucent, and the inner baffels are foil so it is EXTREMELY crinkly. The only difference I could see in the 'women's specific' is that it's just a shorter length! I wish they would make them wider!

I'm now on the search for an old style neoair.

kevperro
02-17-2012, 21:33
I looked at the new Neoair but I kind of felt the same way. The horizontal baffles make them seem narrower than the pads that use vertical baffles. I ended up buying the Exped UL7 because after laying on both, the Exped seemed wider even though it is only maybe 0.5" wider at most. The two outer baffles are ever so slightly oversized which keeps you from rolling off the pad. The fabric also had a nicer hand and didn't make me feel like I was sleeping on a bag of potato chips.

swjohnsey
02-17-2012, 22:26
Has anyone seen the new (2012) neoair? I saw it at REI a few days ago - boy if you thought the original yellow one was crinkly you are in for a surprise. I won't be spending my money on this years neoair (and I need a new one). the fabric is translucent, and the inner baffels are foil so it is EXTREMELY crinkly. The only difference I could see in the 'women's specific' is that it's just a shorter length! I wish they would make them wider!

I'm now on the search for an old style neoair.

Plenty of 'em on eBay.

swjohnsey
02-17-2012, 22:30
I looked at the new Neoair but I kind of felt the same way. The horizontal baffles make them seem narrower than the pads that use vertical baffles. I ended up buying the Exped UL7 because after laying on both, the Exped seemed wider even though it is only maybe 0.5" wider at most. The two outer baffles are ever so slightly oversized which keeps you from rolling off the pad. The fabric also had a nicer hand and didn't make me feel like I was sleeping on a bag of potato chips.

The Exped only weighs about twice what the Neoair Xlite weighs (15.2 vs 8) and has a slightly lower R value (3.1 vs 3.2) and only cost a little more.

bflorac
02-18-2012, 00:56
1) It is odd, by not all Neoair pads are noisy. I have no idea why the one I have is not nearly as noisy as other I have seen. Perhaps because it is more worn?

2) I second the wider version. I would like to see it 3-6" wider so when on my back my elbows down drop to the ground.

leaftye
02-18-2012, 01:09
Neoair $70
http://www.backwoods.com/therm-a-rest-neoair-mattress.html

Seems too good to be true, but I hope this becomes the new street price for it.

Singletrack
02-18-2012, 07:35
Neoair $70

Stay away from Backwoods! They have none in stock. If you order one, it takes a week for them to refund your money. Thats my experience. Try Moontrail, there are a few left.

HeartFire
02-18-2012, 08:23
Neoair $70

They are actually out of stock and said they will refund the money - still waiting for that refund, getting pissed too about it

STICK
02-18-2012, 11:25
From what I have read (on some forum somewhere) the first round of original Neo's were a bit crinklier then somehow something changed (?) and obviously they are not as crinkly... I dunno, I bought mine sometime after they were the new, hot item. Mine is not crinkly and it has never seemed to be an issue to me, or anyone else that is in camp or in a shelter with me. In fact when some that had not come across a Neo saw mine they stated that it was not loud at all.

Also, from what I understand, the first couple rounds of original Neos had leaking issues but those were replaced when someone contacted CD about it. Obviously after a bit of time the leak issues became much less of a problem. Again, I have not had any problems with mine leaking.

So, it may be better to wait a little while before getting one of these. I am sure that CD will get the noise and leaking issues resolved with a little time.

However, if you are wanting an original Neo I recommend them. I do love mine. And I use it year round. I just carry a partial length 1/8" or 1/4" pad to use on top of the Neo, depending on expected temps. Also, it does seem like a bunch of them are going on sale at various places...I really hope that CD is not stopping production on them...

Kerosene
02-18-2012, 12:32
The Exped only weighs about twice what the Neoair Xlite weighs (15.2 vs 8) and has a slightly lower R value (3.1 vs 3.2) and only cost a little more.Uhh, and what about this value proposition makes it attractive???
I vote for a slightly wider version of the NeoAir shortie also.

kevperro
02-18-2012, 14:09
The Exped only weighs about twice what the Neoair Xlite weighs (15.2 vs 8) and has a slightly lower R value (3.1 vs 3.2) and only cost a little more.

The one I compared was 12 oz. and smaller than the Exped. They are close enough in size and weight that I'll pick the one that is most comfortable. The difference in R value is meaningless..... just a number. But if 3-4 oz. is that important and you like the pad.... go for it.

tuswm
02-18-2012, 14:18
The Exped only weighs about twice what the Neoair Xlite weighs (15.2 vs 8) and has a slightly lower R value (3.1 vs 3.2) and only cost a little more.A perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. 1. swjohnsey is comparing 2 different sizes that is why there is such a weight difference. also exped sells their pad with with stuff sack and patch kit. so when you buy both of those for the neo air its more expensive, heavier, and doesnt pack as small. I own a neoair, now thanks to warranty a neoair xlight, my best friend has a neo trekker, and my GF had a exped ul7. I go in to this is great detail in this thread............................http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir&highlight=size difference shown here from the thread abovehttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10794&d=1305654552

kevperro
02-18-2012, 14:58
A perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. 1. swjohnsey is comparing 2 different sizes that is why there is such a weight difference. also exped sells their pad with with stuff sack and patch kit. so when you buy both of those for the neo air its more expensive, heavier, and doesnt pack as small. I own a neoair, now thanks to warranty a neoair xlight, my best friend has a neo trekker, and my GF had a exped ul7. I go in to this is great detail in this thread............................http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir&highlight=size difference shown here from the thread abovehttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10794&d=1305654552

The new ones taper at the bottom too. I've slept on all kinds of pads over the years. I love the Therma-rest 3/4" Ultra-lite which was a 48" inch pad. I'm fatter and older now and figured I'd try one of these blow-up pool toys. So far....I've been impressed. It is the same weight at my old 3/4" length Thermarest and more comfortable for this side sleeper.

I'd recommend everyone to try the pad you buy. Don't take some crazy old fart's word for it.

swjohnsey
02-18-2012, 17:04
A perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. 1. swjohnsey is comparing 2 different sizes that is why there is such a weight difference. also exped sells their pad with with stuff sack and patch kit. so when you buy both of those for the neo air its more expensive, heavier, and doesnt pack as small. I own a neoair, now thanks to warranty a neoair xlight, my best friend has a neo trekker, and my GF had a exped ul7. I go in to this is great detail in this thread............................http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir&highlight=size difference shown here from the thread abovehttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10794&d=1305654552

Neoair Xlite comes with patch kit and stuff sack. Weight is for is for smallest size available, in the case the small Neoair. If I was big and fat I would probably go with the Exped.

pepkbell
02-19-2012, 02:11
my hiking parnter loves his

randyg45
02-19-2012, 18:29
I vote for a slightly wider version of the NeoAir shortie also.

I use a large, which of course is 25" wide. There are threads herein detailing how to shorten them.

Kerosene
02-20-2012, 10:26
I use a large, which of course is 25" wide. There are threads herein detailing how to shorten them.Yes, I've reviewed those threads and an on-line tutuorial, but I'm afraid that I don't trust my re-assembly skills enough to try to convert a long/wide NeoAir to a shortie/wide NeoAir!

pepkbell
02-21-2012, 16:42
foam mat and stick to to dig a whole for my hips and viola air dirt free