PDA

View Full Version : And Then The Hail Came

Megapixel
02-18-2012, 11:09
I've been re-reading this account and it's pretty cool to see the trail in the 1980's. Does anyone recall why he does so much day hiking with family and friends picking him up at road crossings each night in the northern section? Is it just that he's close to home and it's convenient or some other reason? I don't recall seeing a reason as I was reading... wondering if i missed something?

old geezer
02-18-2012, 11:49
Yes close to home
got off the trail to recharge
his mother slacked packed for a while
loved reading it

Ender
02-18-2012, 12:33
That's still in my top 3 of all time thru hike stories. I even emailed the guy after my thru hike to let him know how much he inspired me. One of the very best written, and really captures the feel of the trail. I think I'll read it again this weekend.

Firefighter503
02-18-2012, 12:42
I agree with that being one of the best thru hiking 'stories' I have read. I recommend it to all of my friends/family who ask why I wanted to thru hike.

Megapixel
02-18-2012, 13:00
absolutely agree. i'm reading along in the whites currently... almost done.

buff_jeff
02-18-2012, 14:24
Great read. I've always wondered why he hasn't tried to get it published. I mean, of all the AT books I've read, his is in the top 3 (even though it's not technically a book, I guess). Surely he could make a few bucks off of it.

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 15:12
Great read. I've always wondered why he hasn't tried to get it published. I mean, of all the AT books I've read, his is in the top 3 (even though it's not technically a book, I guess). Surely he could make a few bucks off of it.
Its not always about the money.
you can send him a voluntary dontation if it makes you feel better.

Sly
02-18-2012, 16:20

Semantics. It has all the makings of a book. Someone printed it out and it was over 300 pages.

buff_jeff
02-18-2012, 17:37
Its not always about the money.
you can send him a voluntary dontation if it makes you feel better.

I understand it's not always about the money, but I think it's as well-written and enjoyable as any other book on the AT. Just sayin' that I think he deserves to be published.

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 18:01
I understand it's not always about the money, but I think it's as well-written and enjoyable as any other book on the AT. Just sayin' that I think he deserves to be published.

i agree, i havent been able to read through all of it yet, but it is very well written.
but once the genies out of the bottle....

Cool Hands
02-18-2012, 19:02
I've read this from the first page to last three times. An incredible story, in my opinion THE best trail journal/thru-hike book out there, period. It has been very inspiring to me and helped me understand what I personally get out of the wilderness and the triumphs/pitfalls of the trail.

I agree that it should certainly be published. Even if the money isn't important, I think he deserves some credit and more people should be aware of this wonderful book.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 14:51
Great read. I've always wondered why he hasn't tried to get it published.

I've read this from the first page to last three times. ... I agree that it should certainly be published. ... I think he deserves some credit and more people should be aware of this wonderful book.

I pretty much agree that it's a fine, fine story, well told! I've read it more than once.

But it would take a good editor and a lot of work to get it into true "published book" form. Maybe he just has too much/many other things going on to spend the necessary time and effort? Far too many AT books are self-published and/or sloppily published with no true editing and surely look bad because of it. I'd prefer reading the story as the online journal (where the lack of thorough editing is acceptable) rather than reading the same words in a book form (where the lack of good editing is completely unacceptable IMHO).

But as others have indicated, if he has the time and resources to do it right, I'd vote for it 100%! Would love to add this story to my small AT library of books! It would be a keeper, for sure.

Rain:sunMan

Mags
02-21-2012, 20:03
Not quite in book form, but it is in e-book form! And free...

JaxHiker

03-11-2011, 15:29

Excellent read. And it's free! I put all of the chapters together into 1 PDF file and printed it in 3 "booklets". Again, excellent.

For those of you with a Kindle or other e-reader I've created ebooks you can download.

MOBI (http://files.idratherbehiking.com/journals/Then-The-Hail-Came-Steffanos_%20George.mobi)

ePub (http://files.idratherbehiking.com/journals/Then-The-Hail-Came-Steffanos_%20George.epub)

BryanE
02-22-2012, 01:06
I just finished the first section (Chapters 1-9). I'm really excited to read the rest.