PDA

View Full Version : Hubby has a question...

OBXWaMi
02-18-2012, 17:01
For those who hike anywhere south of Harpers Ferry between late April and early September--What is the longest amount of time you've hiked without seeing another hiker?

Here's why I ask...I'm a newby hiker and my hiking buddy/son seems like he's going to bail on me. Hubby doesn't particularly like me hiking alone since he's worried something will happen and I'll be stranded somewhere for an extended time with no one happening across me. (I swear, I'm not the klutz he seems to think I am, lol) He's also worried about the "creepy guy" that I happen across and can't get away from.

--Michelle

jbwood5
02-18-2012, 17:17
You'll probably see at least 6 people a day on weekdays and more on weekends. I would guess it thins out in July and August, but I have come across trail maintainers and plenty of day/section hikers.

daddytwosticks
02-18-2012, 17:27
I have hiked the trail repeatedly over the years between Springer and Fontana Dam. There was only one time on a day hike in September that I did not see anybody. Even ran into several people (different groups) the day after Christmas on a day hike this past year. Oh yeah, I'm sure many who meet me probably think at first I'm that "creepy guy". :)

Don H
02-18-2012, 22:39
You'll see lots of people but it depends on:
The day of the week, fewer during mid-week
Weather, less on rainy days
Location, more near road crossings and populated areas
Time of year, more when school is out

If you're worried about creepy guys carry some pepper spray. Most of the people you'll meet are just doing the same thing you are. After you're on the trail a few days you'll get to know the people hiking near you, you'll make friends and feel more comfortable. Hikers look out for each other.

Nutbrown
02-18-2012, 22:46
My girlfriends and I hike in that area each year. Usually late spring to early summer. Once the bulk of the thrus get past there, you will only see 1-2 people/day. I don't think we have ever made it a day without seeing someone. Not too many creepers either. Like Don H says, carry a little thing of pepper spray attached to a shoulder strap to make the boys feel better about you hiking solo.

Sierra Echo
02-18-2012, 22:48
I LOVE hiking for hours without seeing anyone!

Sly
02-18-2012, 23:08
I LOVE hiking for hours without seeing anyone!

I LOVE hiking for days and weeks without seeing anyone!

(actually most I've gone is a few days without seeing anyone)

Northern Lights
02-18-2012, 23:08
At no time during a 3 week hike did I not see a soul for even a day. And I hiked in the fall when it should be thinner. I did go hours without seeing people but with the exception of one night the shelters were full every night even during the week.

Sierra Echo
02-18-2012, 23:13

Well I don't know about days. I need someone to run my mouth at, at least every now and then. I get into the WORST arguments with myself if I'm left alone too long!

Rasty
02-18-2012, 23:31

Well I don't know about days. I need someone to run my mouth at, at least every now and then. I get into the WORST arguments with myself if I'm left alone too long!

Do you ever loose an argument with yourself? I hate when that happens with me!

Wise Old Owl
02-18-2012, 23:36
go get a Spot .... tell him to stop worry or get Android and turn on Latitude.

Sierra Echo
02-18-2012, 23:37
Do you ever loose an argument with yourself? I hate when that happens with me!

Its been known to happen!

One-8T
02-18-2012, 23:56
My son and I did Unico Gap to Winding Stair Gap last July and literally only saw 1 person. Very surreal in comparison to all of our other hikes where we typicaly saw atleast 5 a day in Summer months.

Northern Lights
02-18-2012, 23:57
I have hiked the trail repeatedly over the years between Springer and Fontana Dam. There was only one time on a day hike in September that I did not see anybody. Even ran into several people (different groups) the day after Christmas on a day hike this past year. Oh yeah, I'm sure many who meet me probably think at first I'm that "creepy guy". :)

Not at all. You probably thought I was strange as I took some time to assess wether or not you were a creepy guy. But nope, one of many great gentleman I met on the trail.

pepkbell
02-19-2012, 02:05
have a great time

Energizer Bunny
02-19-2012, 13:31
I hike by myself and have it is rare not to see another person. I carry mace with me on my shoulder strap and my husband has me lojacked with latitude if he needs me :-). I haven't had any problems at all. Enjoy your hike!!

Prada
02-19-2012, 13:44
My husband worries too (and anyone else that happens into the conversation). The way I see it is I work in a school. I'm safer on the trails alone than at work with all kinds of people around.

Kookork
02-19-2012, 14:05
Carry a skunk spray, in this way when you spray the creepy guy,he will be tagged for a long long time and soon he will have a Proper trail name.:)

BabySue
02-19-2012, 14:19
Certain areas are much more frequented than others. This includes Shenandoah National Park and Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers. I spent two days in the latter last July and saw literally scores of people. Mt. Rogers also has minimal bear activity, which presumably would also increase your husband's peace of mind.

mountainman
02-19-2012, 20:35
carry a cell phone and call him daily, and always know where you are so he'll know. It is natural for him to be concerned. I find that people on the AT are more helpful than orthers.

ScottP
02-19-2012, 22:44
For those who hike anywhere south of Harpers Ferry between late April and early September--What is the longest amount of time you've hiked without seeing another hiker?

Here's why I ask...I'm a newby hiker and my hiking buddy/son seems like he's going to bail on me. Hubby doesn't particularly like me hiking alone since he's worried something will happen and I'll be stranded somewhere for an extended time with no one happening across me. (I swear, I'm not the klutz he seems to think I am, lol) He's also worried about the "creepy guy" that I happen across and can't get away from.

--Michelle

I'm in SW VA. If it's a weekend with nice weather trails are crowded. If not you'll see a few groups a day.

OBXWaMi
02-20-2012, 13:04
Thanks everyone. You've all been a big help.

And to my husband, Wayne,
Thank you for worrying about me. I love you, too.
--Michelle