PDA

View Full Version : Backpack comfort

birdygal
02-18-2012, 17:08
Weight of the Backpack or Comfort level, Apparently I am not an ultra light person, 28 lbs in a golite pinacle feels heavier and harder on my body than the same 28 lbs in a 6 lb Gregory deva

Which would you choose comfort or 4 lbs less.

bert304
02-18-2012, 17:12
I use a Osprey Atmos so I would go with comfort

swjohnsey
02-18-2012, 17:12
Maybe something like a ULA Circuit or Catalyst, three pounds or so lighter.

Feral Bill
02-18-2012, 17:53
No reason on Earth to wear an uncomfortable pack. You can probably find something well under six pounds that you will hardly notice until you start uphill. Shop around. At worst, use the Deva and go slower on the climbs.

ekeverette
02-18-2012, 17:55
just got a golite quest.... says it carries 40 lbs.... no way... comfortable at 25/30... but my osprey 70 aethers is a very comfortable pack.. cadillacic!!

TOMP
02-18-2012, 17:57
As the whole point of UL is to make you more comfortable by carrying less, if you arent comfortable dont use the golite. With that said I would choose niether, 6lbs is just too much to justify. There are way too many lighter and extremely comfortable packs, just get something with an internal frame around 3-4 pounds. I made alterations on a 85L pack to bring it down to 65oz. And the comfort and size is wonderful, I dont have to try to squeeze and compress everything. So I choose comfort and (not or) 2-3 lbs less.

kayak karl
02-18-2012, 18:15
my pinnacle pack gets uncomfortable at 35#. in the winter 6 days i was close to that. i like it and got 2000 plus miles on it, but it is very finicky. in the beginning i would pack and re-pack 3 times to get it right. i learned to pack food between shoulder blades and close to back. also cinch those side straps. if you don't, the last day into town you look like your carrying a basketball in pack.

MaybeTomorrow
02-18-2012, 18:36
Weight of the Backpack or Comfort level, Apparently I am not an ultra light person, 28 lbs in a golite pinacle feels heavier and harder on my body than the same 28 lbs in a 6 lb Gregory deva

Which would you choose comfort or 4 lbs less.

I cut my Gregory z55 down to 2 pounds and retained all the comfort. I like all the adjuster straps. They let me
shift the load a little during the day.

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 19:32
id choose comfort and lightweight. i use an osprey atmos65.

STICK
02-18-2012, 20:04
No matter the weight, if it ain't "comfortable" (within reason) then nothing else matters. Take what feels comfortable.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-18-2012, 20:30
I like going as light as possible but I'll gladly add a pound or so if it eliminates a misery factor.

Zigzag
02-19-2012, 00:19
Sold my Golite Pinnacle after one hike. Sore shoulders made for an lousy hike. Just got my wife a Granite Gear Vapor trail Ki for out Thru-hike. There are newer models of it but used ones always pop up for sale. The KI is the women's model, just over 2 lbs. & quite roomy. I also like my Osprey Exos 46.

q-tip
02-19-2012, 06:55
I used a GG Vapor Trail for 1,000 mi. 28 lbs seemed about the upper limit. Dropped my base pack weight to 13 lb and just bought a ULA Ohm 2.0 for the CT. It should be here by Monday--most psyched.

Del Q
02-19-2012, 10:40
I bought a Hyperlite Mountain Gear cuber fiber pack last summer, carry 30-34 lbs with all food, water and a pound + of bourbon............was unbelievably comfortable. Super lightweight, waterproof (I still bring a pack cover), well designed...............good gear.

Miner
02-19-2012, 12:15
I'm assuming thats a frameless pack? My experience is that if a pack fells uncomfortable, try repacking it differently. Frameless packs, in particular, carry more comfortably when they are full. Instead of putting your sleeping bag in a small stuff sack, try using a large plastic bag (to keep it dry) but allows it to loft up to fill some of the empty volume. With my ULA Conduit (a fameless pack), I put my sleeping bag on the bottom to add cushioning to the butt and lower back, my food bag goes on top of that and then the rest of my gear gets stuffed in to fill in any gaps as much as possible. I have no comfort issues even when carrying 30lbs (though its normally mid 20's and less). This same pack, when I first got it use to cause me shoulder pain until I learned to pack it correctly.

bigcranky
02-19-2012, 15:27
28 pounds is not an ultralight load, and in a frameless pack it's just misery.

A UL load would be 8 or 9 pounds of gear, a bottle of water, and 4-5 pounds of food, for a total in the 15 pound range. THAT would work very well in a frameless pack. After a big resupply, a UL hiker might be carrying 20 pounds total, but it's mostly food weight and drops quickly.

I'm hardly UL either, and prefer a light pack with a frame of some sort. My current pack is a ULA Circuit, which does a nice job carrying up to about 30 pounds.

birdygal
02-19-2012, 17:54
The golite Pinacle is not frameless pack. It is suppose to carry up to 40 lbs, I did however do one thing to it. I took my blue wallyworld pad and put it in the inside, loaded it up and hiked 6 miles including the pack it was 28 lbs loaded with everything I intend on taking on my thru hike. The pad rolled inside made all the difference, it made it much more stable and comfortable. I think I am set now. I did put my food which weighs 7 lbs in the middle, Sleeping bag & clothing on the bottom, Food in the middle and everything else on top.

bigcranky
02-19-2012, 18:02
The golite Pinacle is not frameless pack.

Huh, the one I looked at did not have a frame, only a foam pad inside the back panel. I don't see anything about a frame on the Golite site, either.

Unrolling a closed cell foam pad is one way to provide some shape and support. Glad it's working for you.

birdygal
02-19-2012, 18:04
so the pad is not a frame

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 19:04
I use a Go=lite trek, they don't make it anymore. No frame but i put my sleeping pad next to my back and then everything else. Up to 30 pounds it's fine, over that, not so fine. But OK. I previously used an Acteryx Bora 95, also known as the Big Bastard. 7 pounds. The Go-lite is less than 2 pounds. Lite is better.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 19:38
so the pad is not a frame

Most people would not consider a pad to be equivlent to a internal frame pack. Internal frames are typically an aluminum stay or some kind of hard plastic material in various shapes.

ScottP
02-19-2012, 22:42
As the whole point of UL is to make you more comfortable by carrying less, if you arent comfortable dont use the golite. With that said I would choose niether, 6lbs is just too much to justify. There are way too many lighter and extremely comfortable packs

^^this man speaks the truth