PDA

View Full Version : cozy

Tramp
02-18-2012, 18:12
anyone having a link to home depot or the name of that reflective stuff to make cozy from please post it or pm me. going tomarrow to try and find it. tks

Hooch
02-18-2012, 18:23
anyone having a link to home depot or the name of that reflective stuff to make cozy from please post it or pm me. going tomarrow to try and find it. tksIt's called Reflectix. I've seen it sold at big box home improvement joints and at Jo Ann fabrics before.

Maren
02-18-2012, 18:40
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=reflectix&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Tramp
02-18-2012, 18:46
got it !! thank you. will pick up some tomarrow and make my cozy. let you know how it turns out. thanks again

oops56
02-18-2012, 19:45
go to the dollar store get a car sun screen

Maren
02-18-2012, 20:56
+1 on the windshield/car sun screen. There's no way you'll need a whole roll.

Rocket Jones
02-18-2012, 22:49
You can make a light duty version out of bubble wrap sandwiched between a couple layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Mine lasted most of a year before needing to be replaced.

rowan
02-19-2012, 01:13
for those of you who have used these - do you notice a big difference in performance compared to using something like a fleece beanie? I have some of the material laying around and have thought about making one... but I can't think of a multiple use for it. hate to bring along something extra unless it really outperforms wrapping your meal up in something I will already have with me.

Northern Lights
02-19-2012, 01:24
I have the fleece cozy and the relective cozy, never noticed a difference.

garlic08
02-19-2012, 10:00
A nice use for the rest of the roll of Reflectix is a winter sleeping pad to supplement your summer pad. It works fine on snow as a second pad.

I used a fleece cap as a cozy for a few hikes, but got worried about it in grizzly country on the CDT so I stopped doing that.

Rocket Jones
02-19-2012, 12:01
That's mostly my concern too, wrapping my sleeping headgear around a bag full of food at dinnertime. Plus, sometimes I want that beanie on my head for those 15-20 minutes while I wait for dinner.

sarbar
02-19-2012, 12:14
If you hike in bear territory always use a seperate cozy versus clothing....for your safety!

Bearleg
03-08-2012, 12:14
Padded Mail Pouches from office supply stores work well and they even come in designer colors, for those who require color cordinated cooking gear.

QiWiz
03-08-2012, 17:43
Reflectix is the brand I have used. ACE hardware stores or online.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1296203&CAWELAID=109335754

I'm sure you can find it elsewhere as well.

mrcoffeect
03-08-2012, 18:56

With the fleece cozy you can slide your hand into it to use it as an oven mit also. :-?

Farr Away
03-09-2012, 13:36

You can wash the fleece; the reflectix - not so much. That's why I went to a washable cozy - tuna juice got into the reflectix. Yuck!

-FA

sarbar
03-09-2012, 16:48
I have sewn cozies for many years and my fabric I use is Insul-Bright. It is washable. I am on hiatus again for a month or two on sewing due to the birth last month of my 3rd son so I don't mind letting people know what we use!

Tramp
03-10-2012, 02:09
I have sewn cozies for many years and my fabric I use is Insul-Bright. It is washable. I am on hiatus again for a month or two on sewing due to the birth last month of my 3rd son so I don't mind letting people know what we use! Where can i get Insul-Bright ? and when will you start making them again ?

Rocket Jones
03-10-2012, 12:53
Follow the link in Sarbar's post (www.trailcooking.com (http://www.trailcooking.com)) for her cozy's.

You can get Insul-Bright at most sewing/fabric stores. I got mine at WalMart near where they sell the sewing machines. Sarah's cozy's are lighter than the one I made.

sarbar
03-10-2012, 16:49
Btw, if you can't find the Insul Bright I do have multiple rolls of it I can sell some of - I buy it in commercial rolls. It is actually made here in WA state!

I am hoping that I will be back in production soon. The baby is a month old. Two years ago I took about 3 months off :) Just got to find my groove with a toddler and a new baby - and get him napping so I can sew!

Tramp
03-11-2012, 19:34
When you start again please pm me, will buy one. I cant sew for crap.

Rocket Jones
03-11-2012, 21:24
Tramp, in the meantime, you can make a cozy by sandwiching bubble wrap in between two layers of aluminum foil. Use duct tape to hold it together. Mine lasted a summer of frequent use before falling apart.

atraildreamer
03-12-2012, 10:52
Buy an insulated reusable shopping bag. They are only $1-2. They have a fabric covering over the aluminized insulator. Cut the bag to the required size for your cozy and sew it together. You can add Velcro tabs where required to keep the cozy snug on your pot. Sewing eliminates the need for tape and keeps the cozy lightweight. The fabric acts as a potholder to prevent burning your hands and provides a better grip in wet conditions.

Here are some pictures of a cozy I made for my camp cup:

Tramp
03-12-2012, 22:54
Buy an insulated reusable shopping bag. They are only $1-2. They have a fabric covering over the aluminized insulator. Cut the bag to the required size for your cozy and sew it together. You can add Velcro tabs where required to keep the cozy snug on your pot. Sewing eliminates the need for tape and keeps the cozy lightweight. The fabric acts as a potholder to prevent burning your hands and provides a better grip in wet conditions. Here are some pictures of a cozy I made for my camp cup:
That's great ! I will look in to that. got the reflectex stuff and made a cozy for my country time jar, works good . made one for a qt. freezer bag but its too stiff not very packable. cloth one i think will pack better. still just playing around with diff. options. saw a video where the guy only had a cozy for his cook pot, a snow peak 700 i think, he put the FB in the pot cozy, put the lid on it, then used the cozy as a bowl/FB holder to eat out of. i like that. all packed away together in 1 stuff sack.

Phikes
03-13-2012, 09:41
I've used a homemade f/b cozy for a couple years now. However for my thru this year I made one for a 3 cup rubbermaid bowl, have to leave the lid off my pot when packing, but it fits pretty nicely. And it's reusable so I'm not wasting so many ziplocs.

Rightfoot
03-13-2012, 09:55
I have had knee problems in the past and carry a neoprene knee brace. I stitched the bottom and use it as a freezer bag cozy. If I should need the brace I simply remove the stitching. It washed easily and dries quickly too.

DLANOIE
03-13-2012, 09:55
Good thread. Lots of good info. I learned a few things from this thread.

Thank you!

q-tip
03-14-2012, 09:47
I have a 3/8 inch blue sleep pad, can I use some of that for a cozy????? I was thinking about cutting off a piece from the bottom and fitting it to my cook cup using duct tape---any ideas????

Rocket Jones
03-14-2012, 11:29
I have a 3/8 inch blue sleep pad, can I use some of that for a cozy????? I was thinking about cutting off a piece from the bottom and fitting it to my cook cup using duct tape---any ideas????

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd test it first to make sure the foam wouldn't melt against the hot metal. Maybe lining the inside with aluminum foil would prevent that if needed.

sarbar
03-31-2012, 19:06
ey everyone, I will have cozies back up on our website by tonight - 4 prints in stock plus 7 more coming soon!

Hikes in Rain
03-31-2012, 20:46
I have one. They're great cozies!

sarbar
04-01-2012, 00:12
And I have them back up now :) Happy to be back in production!

Deacon
04-03-2012, 19:14
Sarber, I didn't see your website listed
Anywhere in this thread. Would you please post it?

Rocket Jones
04-03-2012, 20:19
Look in her post trailer, but it's www.trailcooking.com (http://www.trailcooking.com).