PDA

View Full Version : The Most Influential Posters of Whiteblaze History:

Kookork
02-18-2012, 19:37
I have been around WhiteBlaze.net for a few months and do not know much about the history and the influence of different members on this website yet in my short time I have found that some posters/members have more juice and their comments are more educated and hence they are more respected than others.

I personally have some posters/members in my mind but I have not been around long enough to dare to name them as the starter of this thread. It is up to you to choose among them and list your candidate here. It is somehow a way to appreciate their dedication and let them know that they have been influential in a good way to make this website better everyday.

Hopefully they are all alive but there might be some posters that are not among us and have a place in your list.

By the way, the title of this thread came to my mind after reading the thread about the most influential backpackers of all time which is an active thread right now.

Yours
Kookork

Storm
02-18-2012, 19:47
ShelterLeopard, but she doesn't like us anymore.

Furlough
02-18-2012, 19:47
Well, for me it had to be SGT Rock. Even though I am still not a hanger or a total alcohol stove convert, nor really a gram counter either...but I did follow his advice on Makers Mark.:) His inputs here on WB are missed.

Furlough

hikerboy57
02-18-2012, 19:50
#1- kookurk.
actually , some of the most influential posters have been banned here.
the poster i miss reading the most is matthewski.wish he would get a new computer(no spellcheck.)

ChinMusic
02-18-2012, 19:55
Matty

I still have this urge to kill the Queen........

kolokolo
02-18-2012, 20:04
Everyone seems to respect LW's opinion, even if they disagree with it.

Northern Lights
02-18-2012, 20:43
Who's Minnesota Smith. I'm reading Winton Porter's book Just Passing Thru and he talks about this guy. Must have been before my time.

max patch
02-18-2012, 20:50
Who's Minnesota Smith.

Probably the LEAST influential WB member ever.

Dolly Sods
02-18-2012, 20:51
After visiting WB as a guest for over five years and never becoming a member until just recently, I've read on this site for hundreds of hours, and gained a wealth of information, more than I could ever imagine. So I'm happy to spout off a few respected names that come to mind:

Cookerhiker, Blissful, & Big Cranky for their acquired knowledge, detailed descriptions, etc

Tipi Walter's trip reports are always a great read, but his trail journals are my favorite.

Jack Tarlin's information & opinion is greatly respected by me, as I respect the man a lot.

Lone Wolf's posts have, over time, become shorter & saltier. Always enjoy what he has to say.

Honorable Mention: Gray Blazer, Crumbsnatcher, thats all I got for now.

kayak karl
02-18-2012, 20:52
i like any poster (not poser) i met on the trail, trail towns or events. i trust their opinion because i've seen them out there. some advice on here is from people that have NOT long distance hiked. i've made the mistake of taking it and regretting it. i learned more between the falls and hawk mt. shelter then from anything i read. there were at least 14 posters on Spinger giving me great advice and 4 walked and talked to the first shelter with me.

max patch
02-18-2012, 20:52
The MOST influential WB member ever has got to be Jack Tarlin. No one else is even close.

Kookork
02-18-2012, 20:53

I am happy with saying that he is the most controversial character here. One thing about him is clear to me , he believes what he writes( I might not like his tone here or there) and for this simple reason he has my respect

Kookork
02-18-2012, 20:55
Matty

What is the story behind ?

Dolly Sods
02-18-2012, 20:56
Oh yeah, and Garlic(08). This guy knows what he's talking about.

map man
02-18-2012, 21:02
First off, I'd like to mention some people who have made really valuable contributions to this site, but who you probably won't find in the midst of "controversial" threads:

Veteran -- he created the Whiteblaze AT Database and the article showing topo maps for all of the AT from Georgia through most of Virginia

Mountain Squid -- He maintains and continually updates the database for each year's hiker class

Jeff (Taussig) -- Owner of the Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester Center, he recently updated this site's hostel and lodging database

Roland -- He created the Backpack Comparison Chart -- though it's getting outdated now it was a big help to me when I was first purchasing gear

I also want to mention some people who have made intemperate remarks from time to time (unlike the folks in my first group) but who have contributed a lot of helpful information here over the years:

Jack Tarlin -- Largely for, but not limited to, his Resupply articles

Sly -- The current editor of the AT Companion, he often chimes in with the latest info on the ever-changing AT

Sgt. Rock -- Largely for, but not limited to, his gear articles (and for his work when he was co-owner of the site)

And to actually come closer to answering the original question, a couple members who have hiked a whole lot of trails in addition to the AT, and whose hiking philosophy makes sense to me, and so often make right-on-target remarks: Mags and Garlic

Finally, I want to put in a kind word for ATtroll and all the moderators who do the thankless work that keeps the site running.

And I know I'm going to kick myself for leaving out some folks I should have mentioned:rolleyes:.

ChinMusic
02-18-2012, 21:05
Good post map man

Sarcasm the elf
02-18-2012, 21:20
Jester needs honorable mention. It's a shame that he's still in self imposed exile.

Sarcasm the elf
02-18-2012, 21:23
Probably the LEAST influential WB member ever.

Say what you will, he's one of the only members who's WB antics are known of by people who don't use the site.

Sierra Echo
02-18-2012, 21:55
Jester needs honorable mention. It's a shame that he's still in self imposed exile.

Jester has my vote. Not only is he funny as hell, he has helped me with gear choices more then any other person. And his recommendations have been spot on.

Rasty
02-18-2012, 23:37
Also add 10k. I like reading his posts. Plus he's from Wilmington.

Rasty
02-18-2012, 23:39
Plus Kookork. He is interesting even when he was mad at me for something I wrote.

Sierra Echo
02-18-2012, 23:42
I don't think just because someone has a lot of posts makes them influential. Its quality of quanitity in my book.

mkmangold
02-18-2012, 23:48
Matty

Whoa... I was going to say (for me), Sgt. Rock, Matty, and Zelph mainly because of their practical help. Picking through Matty's musings to reach real gems sometimes took a little work but now he and Sgt. Rock are gone? What happenend?

Kookork
02-18-2012, 23:55
Plus Kookork. He is interesting even when he was mad at me for something I wrote.

Thanks sir, I really appreciate it.
I am in the process of quitting being mad at anybody . Your case was trivial since I can't even remember it and it is weird/odd/very rare that I get mad at anybody and do not remember the cause. Maybe I am really getting better after all.

Writing in this website has been a great practice for me to be more respectful and open to other people's ideas.

Kookork
02-18-2012, 23:59
I don't think just because someone has a lot of posts makes them influential. Its quality of quanitity in my book.

You are totally right about the quality. We can have a list of top quantity posters in another thread but might not have many common names with the list of most influential ones.

Sierra Echo
02-19-2012, 00:06
You are totally right about the quality. We can have a list of top quantity posters in another thread but might not have many common names with the list of most influential ones.

Some people post and post and post. And yet they don't post anything helpful. All they do is do their best to crap all over peoples ideas and dreams. I have no respect for that.

double d
02-19-2012, 00:20
Mags (great handbook for the Colorado Trail) and Tipi Walter are always good posts to read and follow.

ChinMusic
02-19-2012, 00:23

I used to disagree with LW often, then I realized I was wrong........

max patch
02-19-2012, 01:06
Say what you will, he's one of the only members who's WB antics are known of by people who don't use the site.

The category is INFLUENTIAL not how well known someone is. Get back to me when carrying a full roll of toilet paper PER DAY -- out for a week then that 7 rolls -- becomes commonplace.

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2012, 01:28
The category is INFLUENTIAL not how well known someone is. Get back to me when carrying a full roll of toilet paper PER DAY -- out for a week then that 7 rolls -- becomes commonplace.

I thought seven rolls a week was the norm? :rolleyes:

brotheral
02-19-2012, 08:38
A little off point, but when I first joined Jack Tarlin and Terrapin used to go at it endlessly.
I was addicted to their battles :welcome

To answer the OP: I've gotten good advice from so many members. To name a few: Jack Tarlin, Lone Wolf, Summit, Tipi Walter, 10K, Sgt Rock, Fiddlehead, Crumb Snatcher, Connie (ultralightbackpackingonline.info).....

double d
02-19-2012, 10:23
I forgot to mention Weasel! He also published a legal guide to the AT, which I still have, very infomative on so many issues on the AT.

rusty bumper
02-19-2012, 13:08
Garlic's posts on WB have helped me out a huge amount as I moved to lighter gear. His 2008 journal on Trailjournals has also been of great help....for gear and also for his approach to long distance hiking.

Driver8
02-19-2012, 13:43
Mags, Cookerhiker, Blissful, sarnie, 10K, Hikerboy, ChinMusic, ChacoTaco, Sierra Echo, Snow Leopard. um ... um ... There are others. Lone Wolf and SGT Rock, too. 4eyedbuzzard and numerous others who live among the Whites and know them intimately. Papa D is smart as a whip and has a wealth of knowledge on both the A and LT's. ...

Kookork
02-19-2012, 15:25
I can't resist to add my list here .they may not be the most influential of all time butthey are for me:

Wise Old Owl: he grew on me .He is moody from time to time like me but if I need a piece of advice ,he is the greatest and without him I feel something is missing in WB.

Tinker: His gear knowledge amazes me and if I am honest we have a common thing that so many times I am about to write a comment and then I find out he has written it already.

Tipi Walter's comments are usually as heavy as his backpack and what can I say, I like to read them.

Papa D: He is always there to give you a clean cut piece of knowledge and he is very kind.

John gault: I have a love hate relationship with his comments but mostly love than hate but even if I hate them I respect them.

Rain Man: I can't resist to say that his face gives me a sense of trust. he might not be the most experienced poster/hiker around but he is always to the point and very polite and I respect that.

I like Feral bill's : Again his knowledge might not be the deepest but is vast and honest.

Crumb Snatcher is mounting the ladder of respect in my mind like no other.

SGT Rock is the one that I miss his knowledge even without knowing him close. I have followed his comments and enjoyed them a lot.

Among Moderators : Marta has a special place for me. Other moderators? They don't like me often and they might have every right to be so.

Lone Wolf: Oh my god. he is the one that I hate and love at the same time. he is not here to add to his friend list.,as a matter of fact I think he does not care to be hated or to be loved. He is here because he loves AT and hiking it. If I want to use one and only one word to describe him it might be "candour".

10k,garlic and hikerboy are in my list and I am happy that they have been mentioned in other members post also.

Tuckahoe
02-19-2012, 15:47
First would be Lone Wolf, simply because he's got a good BS meter.

Other folks whose posts I enjoy reading are Mags, Tipi Walter, John Gault, Crumbsnatcher, Wise Old Owl and a few others along the way too.

trailangelbronco
02-19-2012, 15:50
What happened to that crazy sob Mathewski. In between his ramblings, he usually has some pretty darn good advice.

ChinMusic
02-19-2012, 16:18
First would be Loan Wolf....

Is that his dead-beat twin?

Tuckahoe
02-19-2012, 16:21
Is that his dead-beat twin?

Yeah thats what I get for typing too fast and not proof reading... Boy its a wonderful thing to be able to go back and edit your posts.

ChinMusic
02-19-2012, 16:25
Yeah thats what I get for typing too fast and not proof reading... Boy its a wonderful thing to be able to go back and edit your posts.

It's all good.

chief
02-19-2012, 21:58
Former Admin - WB was his idea.

Lugnut
02-19-2012, 23:42
Former Admin - WB was his idea.

Rest in Peace Dave.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:51
Jack
Jester
Mags
Rock

Lone Wolf
02-20-2012, 10:05
I have been around WhiteBlaze.net for a few months and do not know much about the history and the influence of different members on this website yet in my short time I have found that some posters/members have more juice and their comments are more educated and hence they are more respected than others.

hmmmm. most under the influcence.....

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 10:58
in no particular order:
jack tarlin, sly , 10k,woo, spokes,tinker,LW,chin music, shlep,blissful, actually Im going to end up leaving out a few, so you know who you are.
and of course alligator, for deleting my wayward posts and keeping us all on track.
but still, there s noone quite like matty.

mister krabs
02-20-2012, 11:36
top tier:
mags
sgt rock
lone wolf
matty
tipi walter
garlic08
jack
jester

Tinker
02-20-2012, 13:01
hmmmm. most under the influcence.....

Good subject for another thread :D.

KVKV
02-20-2012, 13:12
Lone Wolf. Most sensible person around here.

I liked Garlic's trail journal and I followed a lot of it for my hike.

Lugnut
02-20-2012, 13:35

This post belongs in the 'Humor' forum. :p

QiWiz
02-20-2012, 18:11
I used to disagree with LW often, then I realized I was wrong........

It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong. Like, just the other day, I told my son that I had made a mistake. Turns out I was wrong about that. I admit it, there!

rickb
02-20-2012, 20:44
Of those posting on this site, more than a few have somehow inspired/influenced a newbie to thru hike who would not have taken the plunge were for not for them. That's really cool.

Some have influenced-- both directly and indirectly-- a great many hikers to thru hike who would have stayed home were it not for them. That is amazing.

Not sure who has had the greatest influence, but among those who have posted here, AT Troll must be among them. And Warren Doyle.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 21:03
I intended to summarize the votes when the thread reaches to 100 but it seems it is slowing down. I hope people add their vote more to appreciate members who have been influential .

Here is the result of the first 50 posts. I use the names the way they have been written in votes so if it needs correction or I have miscalculation just let me know:

Lone Wolf : 10

SGT Rock: 8

Jack Tarlin: 7

Mags: 6
Matthewski: 6
Tipi Walter: 6
Garlic 08: 6

10k: 5

Crumb Snatcher: 4
Jester: 4

Blissfull: 3

Cookerhiker: 2
Sly: 2
Hikerboy: 2
ChinMusic: 2
Papa D: 2
Wise Old Owl: 2
Tinker: 2
john gault: 2
Dave( former Administration): 2
Kookork: 2

Shelter Leopard: 1
Big Cranky:1
Gray Blazer: 1
Veteran:1
Alligator: 1
Mountain Squid:1
Jeff(Taussig): 1
Roland: 1
AT troll: 1
Zelph:1
Terrapin: 1
Summit: 1
Fiddlehead: 1
Connie: 1
Weasel: 1
Sarnie: 1
Chaco Taco: 1
Sierra Echo: 1
Snow Leopard: 1
4eyedbuzzard: 1
Rain Man: 1
Feral bill: 1
Marta: 1
Woo: 1
Spokes: 1
Shlep: 1

Sarcasm the elf
02-20-2012, 21:13
If we're keeping tabs, then let me put in a vote for Alligator and the rest of the mods. I especially appreciate that Alligator adds posts that explain his actions and reasoning when he's moderating. It's their hard work that keeps screaming matches and political debates to a minimum around here and I sincerely thank them for that.

Storm
02-20-2012, 21:19
Shelterleopard and Shlep are one in the same.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 21:30
Shelterleopard and Shlep are one in the same.

Sorry Shelter Leopard AKA Shlep.. My very bad mistake and Thank you Storm very much for letting me know.
I am not a Donating Member and can't change my posts. If Moderators have time and chance ,I really appreciate if they change it to be correct. Sorry moderators, I sincerely know that I am a high maintenance member and I am doing my best to turn to a low maintenance one...

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2012, 21:33
Personally, I regret that some of my favorite posters are no longer with us for various reasons, tho I repect their reasons for spending time elsewhere.

That being said, my favorite and most admired posters here are the ones who, whether they've been around for one year or a decade, spend their time and energy to share their knowledge and experience to help the new guys. A frequent complaint about WB is that unfortunately, it's not always seen as a particularly kind or friendly info source to trail newcomers or prospective long-distance hikers. Therefore, without naming any names, my favorite posters, and in my opinion, the ones who have the most profound and significant influence, are the ones who answer questions quickly, simply, and unjudgmentally, especially when it comes to the folks actively planning their first long hike. Most of these WB folks will never receive thanks or recognition as "influential" or important, which is great. For most of these folks, this is recognition they're simply not interested in. Their only reward or recognition is in seeing her folks realize their goals and dreams, and perhaps, realizing that in some small way, they helped the new guys out.

Everyone here was a "new guy" once.

My hat is off to the folks who come here primarily to meet and help these folks. They seek neither reknown or recognition, they merely visit here either on occasion, or regularly, in order to help people plan and prepare for a great adventure.

In my opinion, it is these folks who deserve our recognition and thanks. The most influential people here on WB are the countless people who haven't been cited or named above.......they come here to help other folks out, and that's what I'd like to think this place is all about.

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 22:12
and woo and wise old owl are the same.
but your vote count is, i beleive a bit skewed. ive been influenced by many, many people on this site, have gotten valuable advice from many regulars as well as names i never recognized.its part of the reason, im hopelessly addicted(the only cure for seems to be a 12 step program repaeting itself for some 2100 miles).Ive tried to contribute some balance and sanity on certain occasions, on others ive tried to contribute imbalance and insanity.speaking for myself, I love the WB community(even tinker:)) , as it reminds me so much of the great people ive met on the trail over the years. thank you, everyone.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:29
but your vote count is, i beleive a bit skewed. ive been influenced by many, many people on this site, have gotten valuable advice from many regulars as well as names i never recognized.its part of the reason, im hopelessly addicted(the only cure for seems to be a 12 step program repaeting itself for some 2100 miles).Ive tried to contribute some balance and sanity on certain occasions, on others ive tried to contribute imbalance and insanity.speaking for myself, I love the WB community(even tinker:)) , as it reminds me so much of the great people ive met on the trail over the years. thank you, everyone.

I am sure that this 50 posts are not a fair average of what the WB community believes but It is just a limited try to start. Maybe I was not the best person to start the Thread but trust me if I say my intention was all good. The result? I am open to any suggestion and the thread is open to vote unlimited( if it is OK with moderators).

Thank you for your inputs.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:31

VERY VERY Sorry Wise OLD Old Owl AKA WOO. I am guilty as hell. I am ready to be punished by you . You are in my top list anyway.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:36
By the way, I put my money that if this thread reaches to 100 or 200 or more the final results would be seroiusly different and many members ( mostly Moderators ) gain some serious votes.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 23:00

Since you are from Paris ,France I like to think your Vocabulary is not top notch. There are many adjectives that can be used aout Lone Wolf with and without Most but Sensible is one of my last choices.

Once when I wanted to describe my new landlord( actually Landlady) to one of my new neighbours who asked about her.( I was in Canada for a few months at the time ), I said she is Gorgeous but in reality I wanted to say she is Gracious.( but with all honesty she is Gorgeous too) . :):).

Bearpaw
02-20-2012, 23:04
By the way, I put my money that if this thread reaches to 100 or 200 or more the final results would be seroiusly different and many members ( mostly Moderators ) gain some serious votes.

Lone Wolf will stay at or very near the top.

If you had started this a few years ago, you would have gotten mostly different results for the rest. Every thing changes with time.

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 23:08
man of few words.

Deer Hunter
02-21-2012, 00:26
Lone Wolf, 10 K and Matty.

KVKV
02-21-2012, 09:56
Hey Kookork,

No, I'm a native English speaker!! I think Lone Wolf has good ideas on just about everything to do the AT and I think he has more sense that many people on WB. His views on use of the trail for various activities, bear bagging, "it's just walkin'" and his experience with self entitled thru-hikers are ones that I share. He's got the experience hiking and lives next to the AT, so I'd say he knows what he is talking about. He's not just an internet hiker even if he is an active participant on WB.

My one regret on my hike was not popping by Dot's to see him...next time when I make it over the pond!

ChinMusic
02-21-2012, 10:28
One name not on the list that shocks me. STICK

Gray Blazer
02-21-2012, 10:55
One name not on the list that shocks me. STICK

No sticker shock?

DLANOIE
02-21-2012, 10:58
Most influetial.....hmm...for me...I followed Sgt. Rock alot back when I was a hanger. In fact I bought alot of his gear for my 2006 thru hike. Top quality stuff from a top quality guy.

LW, though he is a guru of sorts for hiking the AT, has not influenced me in any way. Not saying he is a bad guy or anything like that, just hasnt touched my life really.

I love reading Tipi Walters trip reports, wish I could hike as much as he hikes and he is the ony member I know who carries 80+ pounds. Respect!

10K has been a fav. of mine for some time. He seems like a really nice person who enjoys the outdoors.

I have not met any WB members on the trail to my knowlege, but I love all of you! Really, thank you everyone!!!

Cookerhiker
02-21-2012, 11:13
I don't recall any mention of Weary who I consider influential - not just for some his WB posts but the work he's done for so many years to preserve and protect the Trail. For those unaware, he received the prestigious Honorary Life Member award from the ATC in '05.

DLANOIE
02-21-2012, 11:14
I don't recall any mention of Weary who I consider influential - not just for some his WB posts but the work he's done for so many years to preserve and protect the Trail. For those unaware, he received the prestigious Honorary Life Member award from the ATC in '05.

Absolutely.

fredmugs
02-21-2012, 11:15
For newbie hikers I'll say Lone Wolf. I'm already too much like him to be influenced by him.

For me personally Rain Man. Every response I ever got from him was 100% correct, informative, and very useful.

Honorable mention: Whoever put the thought in my head that I could go through the Smokies without stopping in the shelters. I would have never considered knocking that out in two days.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 14:09
For me personally Rain Man. Every response I ever got from him was 100% correct, informative, and very useful.

Dang, Fred, I just got signed back on after my Presidents Day weekend hike, and now I have to turn my Blush Mode ON!!! LOL

Your comment makes me feel far warmer than my wife's when I arrived home from the trail and she told me I had to take a cold shower. OUCH!!! Then she explained we had no hot water. OH!!! That I can deal with, though it took me all day yesterday to track down the cause to a faulty fuse box. Most of the day as I tried to fix the water heater (which wasn't broken!), I didn't feel 100% correct, informative, or very useful. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Hoop
02-21-2012, 14:40
Was going to add Weary, but see someone did.

Also, JAK.

ChinMusic
02-21-2012, 14:48
BrianLe needs a mention. A must-read for me.

sir limpsalot
02-21-2012, 16:53
Many have posted good information that have already been named. I personally appreciate the folks from SMD, LHG, Gossamer Gear, Tarptent, and probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment, who join in and provide time and knowledge in discussions touching their areas of expertise. They've all helped me understand and select and properly use equipment that's kept me hiking. This they repeatedly do in the face of some pretty sharp remarks. Yeah, it's good business...but they don't have to, many don't.

Grampie
02-21-2012, 17:36
My vote goes to Jack Tarlin, aka, Baltimore Jack. He tells it like it is and is right 98% of the time.

flemdawg1
02-22-2012, 16:07
LW*
Mags
Mtn Squid*
Jack Tarlin*

*I've actually met each of these IRL and they're even nicer than their online personas (esp LW).

lemon b
02-23-2012, 08:16
Tipi Walter and Baltimore Jack.

squirrel bait
02-23-2012, 08:47
All of the moderators and Lil Red (aka Lil Red MG.)

Blue Jay
02-23-2012, 12:48
Personally, I regret that some of my favorite posters are no longer with us for various reasons, tho I repect their reasons for spending time elsewhere.

I completely agree.

vamelungeon
02-23-2012, 12:49
Lone Wolf, Tipi Walter, Sgt. Rock

cabbagehead
02-23-2012, 19:04
I was on a Boy Scout trip once. There were two fast people in front of us. They came across a guy covered in animal pelts. He was carrying a high powered rifle, and it wasn't hunting season. He said to the two scouts, "Are there more of you?". Later that day, we arrived at a shelter and saw the name "Lone Wolf" in large letters. From then on, we referred to that guy as Lone Wolf.

4shot
02-23-2012, 21:25
I have always been totally blown away by the WB "real men of Genius": those who have typed either - a) HYOH or b) it's only walking. sadly, I don't recall any names (sic) but they know who they are. this bud's for you.:)

snorz
02-25-2012, 19:12
Whatever happened to Emerald...sure helped with info on Pa trail issues!

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2012, 20:22
I have no idea - you cannot PM him so I emailed him recently and never replied.... good question ...

strollingalong
02-26-2012, 00:42
If it comes to hiking revolutions and game changing era defining posts, I'd probably say me.

Sarcasm the elf
02-26-2012, 01:00
If it comes to hiking revolutions and name changing era defining posts, I'd probably say me.

Fixed that for you! :rolleyes::D

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 01:15
Oh no! I've been away too long... no one mentioned me!

4shot
02-26-2012, 09:19

My good deed for the day...I nominate Red Hat. ;)

Shooting Star
02-26-2012, 12:48
1+ for 10k. Lots of good comments in his posts. I think he's in Erwin now.

Cookerhiker
02-26-2012, 16:17

Red Hat is the most influential at personal, face-to-face imparting of wisdom & experience because she attends more of the gatherings during the year than anyone.

TJ aka Teej
02-26-2012, 17:34

Hear, hear!

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 17:40
Thanks 4Shot and Cookerhiker! I do try to attend as many hiker gatherings as I can. Unfortunately, gas prices are making it harder and harder for me. But I will be at both the dahlonega festival and the April Fools Bash in Franklin in March.

Toolshed
02-28-2012, 09:46
Beleive it or not, I miss The Weasel's rantings. I like, LW, spokes, sloegoin (sp?), Rock, Tinman, Dixie Critter, Sly, Mags, Superman, Orangebug, TOW, Kanga, Cuffs and especially Toolshed :p. Though, most of who I like have moved on to greener pastures......

chief
02-28-2012, 16:10
greener pastures = more cow pies to step over

beakerman
02-28-2012, 16:29
I always respected what LW said along with emerald (knew a ton of naturalist things...I always enjoyed those posts), sgt rock and Tipi walter heck even WWO creeps in there on my list of respected voices as well. The list is really too long but i generally echo what has already been said so I won't list any more to avoid too much duplication. Mags however I hate;)...too many cool photos of cool places doing cool things that i don't have the chance to do right now and I can't stand that!

HiKen2011
02-28-2012, 16:35
Lone Wolf for sure, accurate and to the point. I like that. Also Garlic, very knowledgable and willing to help. We've talked several times via e-mail. Both great guys!

bronconite
02-28-2012, 17:03
In no particular order

Lone Wolf
Bearpaws
Mags
Tuckahoe
Emerald
Jack Tarlin

I'm sure there are more and I will post as I think of them. Many have mentioned Sgt. Rock. I'm a member of his forum and there is alot of good info there, I just don't remember him posting here much. I think I may have joined after the time he was a regular poster.

Gray Blazer
02-29-2012, 08:29
greener pastures = more cow pies to step over

There's more truth in that than you realize.

Tenderheart
02-29-2012, 11:00
Personally, I have always found the comments of SBHikes to be on the money. And, she actually has the knowledge and experience to back it up.

Kookork
02-29-2012, 22:12
I want to thank anyone who has commented and voted here and ask others to participate.

If there is any mistakes in typing or counting or ..., please let me know. By the end of 100 posts the results are as followed:

Lone Wolf: 18
SGT Rock: 13
Jack Tarlin: 11
Tipi Walter: 10
Mags: 10
10k: 10
Mattheuski: 7
Garlic 08: 7
Crumbsnatcher: 4
Wise Old Owl: 4
Jester: 4
Blissful: 3
Sly: 3
Alligator: 2
Shelter Leopard: 2
Cookerhiker: 2
Mountain Squid: 2
ATtroll: 2
Weasel: 2
Hikerboy: 2
Chinmusic: 2
Papa D: 2
Tinker: 2
John gault: 2
Rain Man: 2
Dave( former administrator): 2
Spokes: 2
Weary: 2
Red Hat: 2
Emerald: 2
Kookork: 2
Big Cranky: 1
Gray Blazer: 1
Veteran: 1
Jeff( Taussig): 1
Roland: 1
Zelph: 1
Terrapin: 1
Summit: 1
Fiddlehead: 1
Connie: 1
Sarnie: 1
Chaco Taco: 1
Sierra Echo: 1
Snow Leopard: 1
4eyed buzzard: 1
Feral bill: 1
Marta: 1
Warren Doyle: 1
STICK: 1
JAK: 1
BrianLe: 1
All Moderators (No name mentioned) : 1
Lil Red ( aka Lil Red MG) : 1
Slogen: 1
Tinman: 1
Dixie Critter: 1
Superman: 1
Orange bug: 1
TOW: 1
Cuffs: 1
Bearpaws: 1
Tuckahoe: 1
Sbhikes: 1

Lone Wolf
02-29-2012, 22:13
me and Rock, rock! :)

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2012, 22:22
Well I feel better...thanks... I will endeavor to be less grumpy:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

seasparrow
02-29-2012, 22:23
THe boy scout and the animal lover have my vote.

Blissful
02-29-2012, 22:36
And here I only thought I had one vote...

SO when do we get to debate with others for more votes? ha ha Agh, I will NOT go there@! :)

DLANOIE
03-01-2012, 09:34