PDA

View Full Version : Can someone suggest good stopping points from Muir to Whitney portal such that....

nawlunz
02-18-2012, 19:52
I can do the stretch in 8 days? I have hiked up to Mather pass before and from Wallace Creek to the Portal. I know that I've tried to camp just below passes and do them first thing in the morning. I am looking for a suggested itinerary for that stretch that would allow me to hit the portal late afternoon on the 8th day.

So, Muir Trail to Guitar in a week is what I am looking for...would like to at least have a plan, and I do know it will be altered on the way. But, hunting for good stopping places as suggested from those on this board.

Sly
02-18-2012, 22:34
Can you hike 15+ miles per day? You wouldn't have to hike that far every day but you could start by taking the Piute Pass Trail from Bishop, stay in Evolution or McClure Meadow, Little Pete Meadow, Palisade Lake, Twin Lakes, Rae Lakes, along Bubbs Creek, to a couple tarns just above Guitar Lake with an awesome view of the lake.

If you can do that type of mileage I'd do the Piute Pass Trail (leaves about 105 mi to Guitar lake) and go from there. If you'd like to take it a bit easier, take Bishop Pass, which would leave about 80 mi. but after Evolution Valley/Muir Pass. Take either of those, the Harrison maps and just wing it.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-19-2012, 12:12
I
So, Muir Trail to Guitar in a week is what I am looking for

start on the west side near Florence Lake so you don't have to worry about the Whitney Crest exit quota. Entering in Yosemite or on the west side puts you into a different ranger district and you are exempt from that quota.

Where to camp? Wherever you can put your ground pad and like the scenery. I could write up a list of dozens of places I have spent a night on that stretch, but it doesn't really matter, since you'll stop whenever you feel like it and I'm sure within a few minutes from making that decision you will find a place to camp anywhere on that stretch, including the top of Forester Pass, if you don't haul around a large tent and the weather plays ball.

some people like to camp at streams and lakes, others camp for the view and pack water or melt snow to make that happen. All up to you. if you don't mind leaving the trial and doing a mile of cross country in some places, you will find places few if any people have ever camped at before.

Places to avoid if possible: during peak season, you'll have crowded camp sites in the following places (they aren't bad, just very popular)

- bottom of Evolution Valley, just before heading up out of Goddard Canyon
- just after crossing Evolution Creek - if you get there late in the day and nobody is there, use it. Great site. But usually there are 7 tents while there is room for three.
- base of the Golden Staircase - there's a really nice site right hand side of the trial just before you climb out of the trees. Nothing after that until you get to Palisade Lake, where there isn't much room to set up a tent if you respect the 100 feet from water rule.
- south of Mather Pass, just as you get into the trees, although if you leave the trail just by a hundred yards you are fine
- Woods Creek at suspension bridge - always crowded, dusty, noisy most of the time.
- Rae Lakes - awesome place, but if you hit it on a weekend it will be overcrowded with Rae Lakes Loop hikers adding to the traffic
- Guitar Lake - last place I'd spend a night - urin smell in every tent site. Instead, hike up a little and cut across to Hitchcock Lakes, have your own lake with a minimal detour

Sly
02-19-2012, 12:55
start on the west side near Florence Lake so you don't have to worry about the Whitney Crest exit quota. Entering in Yosemite or on the west side puts you into a different ranger district and you are exempt from that quota.

How would starting at Florence Lake be different than starting at Piute Pass or Bishop Pass? All need permits, and coming from the east to get to Florence Lake is next to impossible. Flying into Reno leaves easy access to Bishop and Lone Pine.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-20-2012, 13:17
When you start in the east, you are getting your permit from Sierra National Forest, not Iny, which is who you deal with pretty much on all east slope trail heads. Only Inyo will care about the exit quota on Whitney Crest. Not as big a deal as getting a Portal entry permit, but there may still be days you won't be able to get the permit you want. Yosemite and Sierra NF entry is exempt from the quota.