PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness not so wild anymore?

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 13:01
With the addition of Logging Road about 30 miles south of Abol Bridge, is it still necessary to carry 8-10 full days of food? Since the Data Book now says it has all of the ins and outs of a resupply town? Actually, after looking thru the 1st few pages of the Data book, there seems to be a lot of places to resupply in the 100 mile wilderness. Discuss!

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 13:19
I'm gonna resupply at Whitehouse Landing.

kayak karl
02-19-2012, 13:45
i got some supplies at Jo-Mary lake camp, but i think the store it is still closed. those logging roads are for the loggers. they don't even slow down let alone give you a ride. i saw an SUV at one crossing and he offered the girls a ride to town.
has anyone set up a 100 mile mid-point shuttle?

Don H
02-19-2012, 14:56
Shaws in Monson will do a food drop or shuttle you to Jo-Mary Rd.

Tenderheart
02-19-2012, 16:22
I'm gonna resupply at Whitehouse Landing.

That's the ticket!! This stop is one of my most memorable.

Jim Adams
02-19-2012, 17:18
It has been able to be slack packed since 2002.

geek

earlyriser26
02-19-2012, 17:22
Yes, you can have food brought to Jo-Marry rd. Two years ago I stopped for lunch at Jo-Marry road and all I saw were a few very fast logging trucks. There are several places you can have food driven in or even flown in, but other than maybe WH landing, which is at the Northern end of the wilderness there is just alot of nothing. When do you start and do you have a trail name? Glad to see Columbus people out on the trail.

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 17:28
if you get there as a thru-hike even a geezer like me, it's a six day walk. Also there are many roads through it that are not logging roads and they have traffic. I met a guy who hitched out to Monson at Shaws. Some places you walk near houses. The 100 mile wilderness is just a name. It's fun to go to White House Landing but really six days food is plenty to Abol bridge. If you want wilderness go north of Baxter.

SouthMark
02-19-2012, 17:54
Don't forget the Katahdin Iron Works road between the Chairback Range and Gulf Hagas. There will be plenty of traffic with day hikers headed to Gulf Hagas.

Storm
02-19-2012, 17:55
I emailed this outfitter, he is only a short distance from the trail in Monson. If you bring him a resupply box he will deliver it to Jo Mary road for you for $25. Not exactly cheap but not really too bad either. Would save carrying about half your food.

http://www.100milewilderness.info/Home.html

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 17:59
Sort of directionally challenged with math is involved... should be fun going SOBO with a less than desired blaze system when compared to NOBO. Is the closest location to Whitehouse Landing the 47.7 mile point from Katahdin? It seems kind of tricky just from reading their location on their website... Turn off the trail 32.2 miles past Abol Bridge, then follow the road (which isn't in the companion or data book). Are all these things clearly marked? I read somewhere they they have a blue blaze trail to the WHL dock now?

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 18:02
Trail name's "Shimp". SOBO shooting for the 1st 2 weeks of June, weather and all that on BSP kind of giving me the go ahead.

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 19:09
Sort of directionally challenged with math is involved... should be fun going SOBO with a less than desired blaze system when compared to NOBO. Is the closest location to Whitehouse Landing the 47.7 mile point from Katahdin? It seems kind of tricky just from reading their location on their website... Turn off the trail 32.2 miles past Abol Bridge, then follow the road (which isn't in the companion or data book). Are all these things clearly marked? I read somewhere they they have a blue blaze trail to the WHL dock now?

You can't miss it, SOBO or NOBO. There's a logging road and a trail to the lake and an air horn.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 19:13
You can't miss it.

Awesome! Looks like a great place for my 1st zero day, or at least a resupply.

Bearpaw
02-19-2012, 19:34
It has been able to be slack packed since 2002.

geek

Can-Do-Will-Do and Jersey George slack-packed it in 1999. They dropped one person going north, drove to the next road, hiked south, passed each other, and then did another vehicle pick-up and shuttle at the end of the day. Plenty of roads available and passable to a 2WD sedan, even during that week of rain.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 19:48
I'm not looking to slack pack anything, just mainly looking at resupply options and potentially a hostel stay or zero day if I feel I need it. It looks as if I'll be fine though, with WHL and the other newer stops there. Thanks for the info all! Got it marked in my companion :D

Grampie
02-19-2012, 21:49
I would see if Whitehouse Landing still takes mail drops if you stay there. What they offer for resupply is O.K. but kind of costly.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 21:54
A flat rate box big enough to hold three days of supplies will cost you more than $11 to mail.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 21:57
Yeah, not doing any mail drops or bump boxes. Seems more expensive and time consuming than it's worth. I have hiked (force marched) in the Marine Corps with WAY more weight than I would ever need to carry on the trail, so noit worried about that. I just don't like being hungry :D

Tinker
02-19-2012, 23:02
Hundred MILD Wilderness - I found my dyslexic self typing that from time to time. It seems to fit if you hit it and get good weather. I only had one day of rain while I was hiking it and it happened to be the remnants of a tropical storm. My wife "suggested" ;) that I wait it out at White House Landing. It was a monsoon and the trail was muddy the next day.
The terrain is not difficult, and if you can meet someone at Abol Bridge who can bring in some real food to restoke the internal fire, you can survive the 8 day (or so) trip with about 2# of high calorie foods per day.
Stay at the "honor system" shelters and campsites across from the store and pig out on junk food, resupply for three days, hike to Katahdin Stream, camp, hike Katahdin next (available) day, and get a ride to Millinocket the following morning.
I had a great trip and didn't need to resupply, but nonetheless, the stay at White House Landing allowed me to pig out on their one pound burger and pizza with a good breakfast next day.
While hiking, I never met a calorie I didn't like. :D

mrcoffeect
02-19-2012, 23:28
I would see if Whitehouse Landing still takes mail drops if you stay there. What they offer for resupply is O.K. but kind of costly.

white house landing no longer accepts mail drops:(

rainmaker
02-19-2012, 23:42
As mrcoffect said, White House Landing does not accept maildrops. If you plan to go there take plenty of money or have plastic. The place is not cheap and I don't usually quibble about money. The lady who runs the place with her husband was very nice; her husband was not so nice. I was there near the end of the season and he was ready to leave and go to Florida. It really showed. The facilities were fine.

10-K
02-19-2012, 23:51
As mrcoffect said, White House Landing does not accept maildrops. If you plan to go there take plenty of money or have plastic. The place is not cheap and I don't usually quibble about money. The lady who runs the place with her husband was very nice; her husband was not so nice. I was there near the end of the season and he was ready to leave and go to Florida. It really showed. The facilities were fine.

I was surprised to see they let you run a tab but at the same time somebody is always peeking around the corner or watching you when you're looking at the supplies. I mean watching-watching - not just in the same room.

But, the burger was mighty fine.