PDA

View Full Version : Compressing my Therma Rest

LRSLt122
02-19-2012, 13:58
Hey guys,

Just trying to find some advice for compressing my Therma Rest pad. Its the larger model and bright green. I needed the larger model due to my height and weight (6'4" 225). I have tried everything from a sea to summit drysack to a military issue compression sack. I am open to all advice.

Thanks.

RWheeler
02-19-2012, 14:14
If you're talking about an air pad, then you just gotta either roll them up into something like a water bottle, or fold it into a shape to match your pack and act like a frame for the pack. They don't really "compress" much in my experience.

Hooch
02-19-2012, 14:22
Yeah they do, you just gotta be smarter than the horse to get it to do what you want it to.

Open the inflation valve and fold in thirds lenthwise. Then roll firmly and slowly toward the valve to get all the air out, closing the valve when you're done. Place inside your pack to protect from damage. Problem solved.

Rocket Jones
02-19-2012, 14:58
Open the valve first, then fold the pad in half and sit on it. Keep doing this, fold and press into smaller bits until most of the air is out. Then do the fold into thirds lengthwise and roll from the end opposite the valve to get the last of the air out.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 15:12
The Neoairs will compress much smaller.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 17:08
Yeah I would just remove the air, close the valve and roll it up. I have heard of further compression leading to rips. I have only used a 3/4 lenght thermarest lite pad so I never needed it to get smaller.

Franco
02-19-2012, 17:10
With inflatables a good start is to open the valve when you are still on it. That will expell most of the air than follow the steps suggested above.

Franco

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 17:12
I'm big like you. I do not see a need for the full length. the 3/4 is plenty big for your torso. And rolls up like the dude said earlier. I also put a giant rubber band around it that cam with a pair a snow shoes. I usually lose the rubber band somewhere on a trip after a few weeks. Get a replacement free usually from some helpful dude in a gear store.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 17:21
Get most of the air out then close the valve. Fold in half and start rolling from non-valve end. When you get near the end you will start compressing air. Open the valve and finish rolling, close valve.

Whiskey
02-19-2012, 18:43
Get most of the air out then close the valve. Fold in half and start rolling from non-valve end. When you get near the end you will start compressing air. Open the valve and finish rolling, close valve.

This is what I do. I roll it once with the valve open to get most of the air out. Then I fold it in half, lengthwise to make it 10" wide. Then I roll it tightly and open the valve again as I near the end to let out the last bit of air. Then it goes in a stuff sack.

Feral Bill
02-19-2012, 20:10
With inflatables a good start is to open the valve when you are still on it. That will expell most of the air than follow the steps suggested above.

Franco
This helps me get my lazy butt out of bed, too.

theoilman
02-19-2012, 22:04
When all else fails, just read the instructions. Several of these posts have just repeated them.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 22:12
When all else fails, just read the instructions. Several of these posts have just repeated them.

Read the instructions?

Franco
02-20-2012, 04:53
This helps me get my lazy butt out of bed, too.
Yes, particularly with the Neoe Air. Once you pull the plug you don't want to start inflating that again...

Papa D
02-20-2012, 10:39
This is what I do. I roll it once with the valve open to get most of the air out. Then I fold it in half, lengthwise to make it 10" wide. Then I roll it tightly and open the valve again as I near the end to let out the last bit of air. Then it goes in a stuff sack.

Yep - this and other previous posts are pretty much spot on - I'm 5'8, 150, so I use a women's 3/4 and don't have this problem. I might suggest you look at a Sea-Summit nylon bag that is about 8 liters. Do as Whiskey and SWJohnsey have suggested and then keep it in this such that it doesn't take up too much room in your pack.
Also, something a lot of folks don't know about inflatables is that it best NOT to inflate them to 100% full because when you lie on them, the volume increases anyway - over-inflating will ultinmately cause valve damage and leaks.

ekeverette
02-20-2012, 10:45
did'nt know about the over filling. thanks papa d.

skinewmexico
02-20-2012, 14:07
Also, something a lot of folks don't know about inflatables is that it best NOT to inflate them to 100% full because when you lie on them, the volume increases anyway - over-inflating will ultinmately cause valve damage and leaks.

On the downside, you reach maximum R-value at maximum inflation, according to the BPL testing protocols. But I agree, and they're not as comfortable @ 100%. Are we sure the OP wasn't talking about a self-inflating Thermarest?