PDA

View Full Version : Which trekking poles to get for thru?

lkaluzi
02-19-2012, 16:03
I'm trying to get a pair of trekking poles but i'm not sure what to look for. You can get a cheap pair at walmart but I'm guessing those won't last 6 months. Should I go with Leki's so I get the warantee? Or should I get a cheap pair from elsewhere and hope for the best?

Lyle
02-19-2012, 16:16
PacerPoles - Unique, extremely comfortable, efficient.

Tenderheart
02-19-2012, 16:16
Personally, I would forgo the pole idea, but if you're bound and determined. Leki's do have the great warranty and Wally World poles often times won't stay locked. There are other options such as Komperdell which are somewhat cheaper. If you've got the money, Leki may be your best bet. There are thousands of posts about trekking poles here on WB. Do a search and have at it. I carried them on my thru hike but presently do not use them. They are useless in the rocks above the glacier line, which is Pennsylvania.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 17:10
Black Diamond or the Leki poles that have the Flik-loc that they copied from Black Diamond.

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 17:16
I've used Leki poles and cheap ones from Walmart. Really no difference day to day. The only difference is that Leki will fix them endlessly and forever as far as I can tell. There will definitely be no one from Walmart at Trail Days fixing my bent pole or at the PCT kickoff putting new points on for free.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 17:20
I got a set of the cheap $14 WallyWorld ones, and tried to break them. I put all my weight on them, which they state not to do, over-twisted them, put them thru hell trying to break them, they survive. We'll see actually on the trail. Worse come to worse, i'll find a dead tree limb and rig it up til I get to a town if they break. I've read that they are a miracle worker on the knees, especially on Katahdin and other seriously rocky spots where you kind of flop over rocks...

Cookerhiker
02-19-2012, 18:28
I'm trying to get a pair of trekking poles but i'm not sure what to look for. You can get a cheap pair at walmart but I'm guessing those won't last 6 months. Should I go with Leki's so I get the warantee? Or should I get a cheap pair from elsewhere and hope for the best?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80968-Hiking-Poles-Lightweight-and-Durable-What-Should-I-Buy

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2012, 18:54
Black Diamond or the Leki poles that have the Flik-loc that they copied from Black Diamond.

Second this, telescoping poles with external flick lock mechanisms. Poles that telescope are easy to strap to the back of your pack when in town or getting a ride somewhere and external locks are more solid. Twist locks have a higer rate of failure and tend to sieze up in below freezing comditions. I prefer black diamond and think that their the hand grip and shock absorber is more comfortable than Leki's design, but this is just personal preference.

Kookork
02-19-2012, 19:26
PacerPoles - Unique, extremely comfortable, efficient.

+1 for that. Pacerpoles is the one that is in another league. I have a pair and love them.
http://www.pacerpole.com/

You wont regret using them.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 19:26
Walmart ones are really good. I know... you get what you pay for... but as I said, I TRIED to break mine and couldn't. Read the reviews for yourself... I'd rather buy these and spend the other $100 I save on something more important... like food, or a few nights stay in hostels. HYOH.

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 19:27
Sorry, clicked enter too early :( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Double-Trekking-Poles-With-Twistlocks/10928567

TOMP
02-19-2012, 20:27
Leki's have the flick lock? Well that settles it the next pair of poles I get will be Lekis, the warranty plus flick lock is an unbeatable combination.

ScottP
02-19-2012, 22:45

unless you have something wrong with your knees, just start the trail. If you feel like you need them buy them from the Neel's gap outfitter.

swjohnsey
02-20-2012, 00:12
unless you have something wrong with your knees, just start the trail. If you feel like you need them buy them from the Neel's gap outfitter.

Last year you could try 'em for free from Neels Gap to Hiawassee.

Blissful
02-20-2012, 00:29
Leki's have the flick lock? Well that settles it the next pair of poles I get will be Lekis, the warranty plus flick lock is an unbeatable combination.

Its new with them. Good thing too as the twist version did not hold up well at all. Collapsed and would not tighten right

nehiker
02-20-2012, 02:04
Walmart ones are really good. I know... you get what you pay for... but as I said, I TRIED to break mine and couldn't.

This was not my experience. At the beginning of the first day, one of the poles got stuck under a rock and slightly bent (the hiker + pack were about 130 lbs). I then this pair on the LT. I (around 220 lbs with pack) applied perhaps half my weight to them on the way up. They seemed to handle this pretty well, as long as the weight was applied length-wise. On the 6th day, I slipped on a flat section and one of the poles (the unbent one) snapped in half. The bent pole lost its end piece at the very end.

On the other hand, I ran into a hiker descending from Camels Hump with a BD pole, similarly snapped in half.

James GAME2009
02-20-2012, 12:01
I would recommend Gossamer Gear trekking poles. Nothing is lighter or better. I used Leki Super Makalus, which were great but a bit heavy. Leki's warranty is top-notch for sure. They overnighted me new tips for free when mine gave out.

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 12:28
I got a pair of Leki Corklite that I really like. You can get them on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Leki-Corklite-Aergon-Speed-Lock/dp/B002YIOPLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329755050&sr=8-1) for $90 with free shipping (if you have Prime, it'll be free 2-day). I got mine from Backcountry when they were on sale one day, though.

I always recommend to get a good pair of trekking poles if you can afford it. The warranties will mean that you'll never have to buy another pair again if you like them, and the quality of them will mean that you can resell them to someone else if you decide that you don't.

They aren't as much the item for the "older crowd" as some people make it seem. I'm still young, my knees and legs are in great shape, but I feel refreshed and energized after my hikes now that I've been using poles as well.

Tinker
02-20-2012, 12:34

You should be aware that many of the ultralight poles using graphite will not take a sideways deflection quite as well as a stouter aluminum pole. They both can bend to a certain point, and at the point where aluminum may bend, carbon fiber may delaminate or shatter.

Aluminum poles can be straightened (if not crimped), carbon poles, once delaminated, cannot be adequately repaired. Tightly wrapping the damaged section with duct tape will hold it for a while, but the strength will be greatly compromised.

Another thing to think about is whether or not you want anti-shock poles. Lots of people like them. I like my poles to tell me how firmly they are planted (feedback) and don't like the feel of anti-shock poles.

I have a pair of heavy Leki "Health Walk" poles I bought 10 years ago and they are still holding up fine.

I'm fairly strong, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my poles have never come "unlocked" and telescoped down when under load. In other words, it takes some strength to lock down the twisting collars.

Folks who have had their poles collapse under load often find that the flick-lock, introduced by Black Diamond eliminates that problem.

If you go cheap, you may end up kicking yourself.

If you go with a name brand, at least you can kick someone else :D.

lkaluzi
02-20-2012, 12:35
I think I'm going to go with leki's, I think I can get a good deal on Campmor with free shipping and still get the warranty. I don't want to pay full price at Neels gap, and I'm pretty set on getting a pair. I know I'm young and my knees can probably handle not having a pair, but I feel its better to protect my knees for the future.

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 12:52
I feel its better to protect my knees for the future.

The future also includes the 6 months of the trail, btw. Even young knees will receive lots of wear and tear after that many miles with load.

Good luck on the poles! They're a very good purchase, in my opinion.

ChinMusic
02-20-2012, 13:13
Let me start by stating I HATE twist-lock poles...hate em.

Leki has a great reputation and their customer care (especially at Trail Days) is second to none. Black Diamond makes a great product as well.

I have found, no matter what the model, no matter how much cleaning/maintenance I perform the twist locks are just a royal PITA. I use two poles now with my shelter which requires me to have them at just the right length. At the end of a long day the LAST thing I need to to have to fight with the damn twist locks not wanting to hold.

Get the latch/flick lock types and avoid the twists especially if you are one that likes to adjust the length of your poles for up and down hill.

Did I mention I HATE twist-locks?

Tinker
02-20-2012, 13:27
To OP:

Re: cleaning of twist-lock poles: I don't clean mine. I just take them apart and knock the oxydized aluminum out once in a while. Maybe that's why mine don't slip. :-?

Get the flick lock type if you're concerned.

ChinMusic
02-20-2012, 13:41
To OP:

Re: cleaning of twist-lock poles: I don't clean mine. I just take them apart and knock the oxydized aluminum out once in a while. Maybe that's why mine don't slip. :-?

Get the flick lock type if you're concerned.

I don't clean mine either and just take the sections apart once a hike is over, as per Leki instructions. I have had them cleaned/maintained every year at Trail Days. The twist will work fine for a couple months and then go right back to slipping when I have to adjust the length....so frustrating.

NEVER again on twist-locks.

Theosus
02-20-2012, 17:26
Love my REI poles. They have the flick lock mechanism. The only thing I don't like about poles is the same thing I don't like about ski poles. Great when you need them, pain in the ass to carry when you don't. I haven't found a way to stow one on the move. Sometimes having a free hand to change songs or take out a camera or open a pack o peanuts would be good, without having poles to deal with.
I like using them though. I'm clumsy sometimes, so having something to stabilize me and help take some weight off is really nice.

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 17:43
Love my REI poles. They have the flick lock mechanism. The only thing I don't like about poles is the same thing I don't like about ski poles. Great when you need them, pain in the ass to carry when you don't. I haven't found a way to stow one on the move. Sometimes having a free hand to change songs or take out a camera or open a pack o peanuts would be good, without having poles to deal with.
I like using them though. I'm clumsy sometimes, so having something to stabilize me and help take some weight off is really nice.

I use the ice axe loops on mine to hang mine while not using them. Has worked fine for me so far.

Big Dawg
02-21-2012, 01:21

ditto..... look for flik-loc

moytoy
02-21-2012, 05:55
My Exped poles with twist locks do not slip. When locked in properly they are riding on a small ridge inside the DAC aluminum and cannot slip without major metal failure. And they only weigh 6.2 oz each.

Northern Lights
02-21-2012, 09:52
I have Leki poles which have failed me(wouldn't stay locked) so I went with black diamond flick lock and love those. Whichever you choose get the flick locks.

fredmugs
02-21-2012, 11:23
Hiking poles have more benefits that just protecting your knees. They are great for balancing yourself across obstacles and knocking down spider webs. I have bent some and broken one cmpletely in half so you might consider having some duct tape handy. The only time I regretting having my poles was descending Katahdin.

Aquaman12
02-22-2012, 16:15
I plan on thruing this summer. Im constantly trying to reduce my pack weight while still feeling comfortable. I searched extensively to find the lightest poles. I ended up buying my poles from rutalocura.com. Im sure some people will argue against them because the are twist lock and VERY basic poles. Nothing special about them but they are very lightweight and feel like nothing in your hands. The lightest poles ive come across. They weigh under 8 oz for the pair. And they do telescope unlike other ultralight poles. Havent really heard people talk about them and not sure why.

ChinMusic
02-22-2012, 16:59
Another consideration is material. Aluminum vs Carbon

I'm sticking with aluminum for strength. I'm afraid I might be too rough on the lighter carbon models. Leki also warranties their aluminum models for like and the carbon for only one year.

moytoy
02-22-2012, 17:01
I plan on thruing this summer. Im constantly trying to reduce my pack weight while still feeling comfortable. I searched extensively to find the lightest poles. I ended up buying my poles from rutalocura.com. Im sure some people will argue against them because the are twist lock and VERY basic poles. Nothing special about them but they are very lightweight and feel like nothing in your hands. The lightest poles ive come across. They weigh under 8 oz for the pair. And they do telescope unlike other ultralight poles. Havent really heard people talk about them and not sure why.

They are "basic" carbon fiber twistlock poles that are $145. Carbon fiber tends to break if caught in a bind but they are very light indeed. I might give them a try in the future if my aluminum poles wear out.

swjohnsey
02-22-2012, 17:21
Another consideration is material. Aluminum vs Carbon

I'm sticking with aluminum for strength. I'm afraid I might be too rough on the lighter carbon models. Leki also warranties their aluminum models for like and the carbon for only one year.

Carbon fiber is very sexy. I have carbon fiber bikes and kayak paddles. When carbon fiber fails it breaks. Aluminum will bend. I have bent poles, straightened 'em and gone on. If a carbon fiber pole fails you can still go on unless it is holdin' up your tent.

Kookork
02-23-2012, 03:04
I have not seen or used them but from the website it seems they are a viable option for hikers who tend to fish along the way since they can adapt an addition to turn them to a fishing rod. Other than that it is up to user taste and whether they use(or like me and many others abuse the poles).

swjohnsey
02-23-2012, 11:17
Last year the folks at Neels Gap would loan you a pair to try. You turned 'em in at Hiawassee.

cabbagehead
02-27-2012, 00:37
If they are aluminum, they should be heat treated and a 7000 series alloy, such as 7075.

ocalacomputerguy
02-27-2012, 00:54
Black diamond has just brought out some new models and is getting rid of their old inventory on steepandcheap.com. Check out www.sacalerts.com to setup alerts so you don't have to watch www.steepandcheap.com all the time.

Drybones
02-27-2012, 12:08
As with most things, it will be personal preference, but I like the Black Diamond. What I looked for in poles was soft edges, which the BD had. Leki, REI and others were too sharp which after extended use wear on your hands. If your doing a long hike I'd invest in good poles but the Walmart poles I have used work fine...$12.00.

Blue Jay
02-27-2012, 13:48
Even Leki is now claiming an over 50% increase in calories burned using poles. On a thru you have to make this up by carrying twice as much food weight. Combined with the pole weight, How exactly does this help knees? Poles only help take the weight off when they are planted. Each step there is a point where all of your total weight compresses your knees. When you walk without poles all of your weight compresses your kness with each step. Is cycling extra weight with each step helpful, I think not. You also may want to develop balance in stead of depending upon crutches, just a thought.

Lyle
02-27-2012, 14:06
The increased calorie burn is because of the additional muscle mass (arms) involved in propelling you and your load. This, in fact, is an indication that your legs are doing less work, so it would follow they are receiving less wear and tear.

Poles do offer a distinct advantage. Maybe not 100% of the time, but enough that they make a huge difference. As far as I'm concerned, their biggest advantage is for breaking when going down hill, roughly half (or close to it) of your hike. This is also when you knees suffer the greatest strain.

Blue Jay
03-01-2012, 14:13
The increased calorie burn is because of the additional muscle mass (arms) involved in propelling you and your load. This, in fact, is an indication that your legs are doing less work, so it would follow they are receiving less wear and tear.

How does carrying twice as much food weight lower the wear and tear?

ChinMusic
03-01-2012, 15:54
Even Leki is now claiming an over 50% increase in calories burned using poles. On a thru you have to make this up by carrying twice as much food weight. Combined with the pole weight, How exactly does this help knees? Poles only help take the weight off when they are planted. Each step there is a point where all of your total weight compresses your knees. When you walk without poles all of your weight compresses your kness with each step. Is cycling extra weight with each step helpful, I think not. You also may want to develop balance in stead of depending upon crutches, just a thought.

And YOU are the one posting about "pole religion"..........paleeeeeze

Blue Jay
03-02-2012, 14:05
And YOU are the one posting about "pole religion"..........paleeeeeze

Someone other than Lone Wolf has to be the heretic to the constant pole advertisements.

BlakeGrice
03-06-2012, 00:49
Super makalu

Lyle
03-06-2012, 09:10
How does carrying twice as much food weight lower the wear and tear?

Well if you accept the 50% more calorie burn figure, it would mean you would need to carry 50% more food, not double. Plus, my guess is that you would move faster, so would be on the trail between towns for a shorter time, so some of those increased calories could be made up for with in-town grazing. The advantage of the poles is patently obvious to anyone who does a controlled down-hill hike with and without poles. If one cannot perceive the difference in stress to the joints, then they are not very in tune with their body, or just plain have decided to deny the advantage for their own personal reasons.

My reason for carrying poles has nothing to do with calories burned, but less stress on the knees. Hopefully this will translate to more years of trail enjoyment. I've had friends who were avid hikers who had to give it up way too early because of severe knee problems. This fact is what has prompted me to do all I can to reduce the stress to my joints. Lower pack weight, use of trekking poles, and currently reducing body weight.

Personal decision for each to make, but I don't think that the obvious advantage can or should be dismissed in making that decision.

Blue Jay
03-06-2012, 13:51
Personal decision for each to make, but I don't think that the obvious advantage can or should be dismissed in making that decision.

Thank you for your reasonableness, a rare quality. Not dismissed, just questioned.

max patch
03-06-2012, 15:18
The way I look at it -- I carried 45 pounds on my thru without poles and my knees work just fine. I don't see why the current crop of hikers who carry half of that -- or less -- claim they "need" poles. Lot of closet Backpacker mag readers is my guess.

Kookork
03-06-2012, 15:45
The way I look at it -- I carried 45 pounds on my thru without poles and my knees work just fine. I don't see why the current crop of hikers who carry half of that -- or less -- claim they "need" poles. Lot of closet Backpacker mag readers is my guess.

In Persian Language we have a saying that says: Was Eve male or female? and we use it when somebody at the end of a story or discussion brings a topic or ask a question that shows he or she has not been paying attention to the whole discussion.

First of all, using poles goes back to way way before Backpacker magazine. In most of the world people use it regularly( if not a Leki or Black Diamond they use a wooden stick) and if you ask them about magazine they look at you like you are talking Greek.

Secondly, It is your knee, your health and your choice. You plan to retire sooner , go for it. I am not going to protest about it.

Lyle
03-06-2012, 16:12

You sound like the old 80 year old man who smokes two packs a day and says "See smoking does nothing to shorten your life!"

The exceptions are out there, but I would rather bet with the odds. Odds are, if you take care of yourself, your body will last longer.

coheterojo
03-06-2012, 16:35
Use them or don't, your choice. I used Lekis both times. I picked up pieces of Walmart poles all along the trail. I love using poles to help me uphill, help me downhill, as poles for my tent, as a way to steady myself on fords, fighting off mean dogs, clearing spider webs 1st thing in the morning and I don't know what else. I love them more than life itself. So there.
Oh yeah, I'd have to agree that the flick-locks are the way to go.

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 16:54
I have never looked down at another hiker without poles. I have wondered how they got down that hill......

SunnyWalker
05-22-2012, 14:11
Right now I have set of ski poles I bought at a thrift store for $3.00 I am sure though, before I start a thru that I'll get real ones. They are the greatest, especially going downhill.

flemdawg1
05-22-2012, 15:01
Another satisfied user of Walmart poles, had mine for 5 years. I like the Flich-lock ones that were linked to earlier.

Spokes
05-22-2012, 15:06
Leki Maliku's. "Most" of the trail outfitters carry parts and can repair them in a pinch.

ciphoto
05-22-2012, 19:18
+1 on the pacer poles...