PDA

View Full Version : hiking on a $2000 budget?

djcoin
02-19-2012, 19:16
HI, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a thru hike with a $2000 food budget. I've looked at all sorts of threads but I need more specific answers pertaining to me. I'm going to be carrying a pack of around 40-50 lb (yes I know that's a lot, I have a very specific reason for it) Will a $2000 budget support that kind of calorie loss due to the extra weight? What will I have to compromise (if not everything) to get by on that? Thnx

djcoin
02-19-2012, 19:18
Wheres the edit button >.< didn't mean to say food budget I meant overall budget (not including gear)

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 19:23
I don't think an extra 10 - 20 lbs will make a big difference in your food budget. Folks carried that much sucessfully for years. Shaffer carried around 45 lbs, I believe. You have piqued my curiousity, though. You have to pay to edit.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 19:29
That's good to know. Assuming I never eat out or stay in a hotel/shelter how well off will I be on $2k? I've seen people say that they have either let loose with that much or had a hard time. Not sure what it is like in recent years though.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 19:34
Is 40-50 lbs with your food and water, because I hope it is. Maybe you can hike with this weight, but why handicap yourself. I once hiked for 10 days with a starting weight 60 lbs, mostly food, but it aint no walk in the park. Yeah sure its possible there are plenty of people who said they have done it on tighter budgets so why not. How well off? I would say more like just getting by but definately possible (no money for mail drops though).

djcoin
02-19-2012, 19:38
Ya its 40-50 with food and water

Hooch
02-19-2012, 19:51
You'll be twice as better off as that dude who's trying to do it on $1k.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 19:53
Lol wow 1k. Hope his pack isnt as heavy as mine.

Hooch
02-19-2012, 20:06
. . . . I'm going to be carrying a pack of around 40-50 lb (yes I know that's a lot, I have a very specific reason for it). . . . I'm curious, what is the specific reason that you will have to carry a 40-50 lb pack?

Lol wow 1k. Hope his pack isnt as heavy as mine.To each their own, HYOH, etc.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:06
Ok there really is no way to know with the info given.. is is possible yes.... we dont have enough info to know if its likely. you are going to burn alot of calories, which either means ALOT of food or alot of weight loss... 2k you are not going to be spending much time in towns drinking/eatting/hostels... and it dpends alot on how many miles you are going in a day , a 120 day thur or 160 . at least once a week we get one of these "can i make it on 1k" or 1500, or 2k or something, you are the only person who knows for sure, we dont know how you like to hike,how often you want to shower and sleep in a nice bed, or how much you eat. i will if you are asking then your PROBABLY not experenced enough to do it on 2k.. but i could be wrong.. hike your hike, it really doesnt matter if you make it all the way, remember "it's the journey not the destination" that matters

Hooch
02-19-2012, 20:11
Just curious, whatever happened to your 24lb $6k gear list?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77182-you-re-thoughts-on-my-thru-hike-gear-list

moldy
02-19-2012, 20:13
With a total of $2,000 budget, I could make it. I would be using some of my old hobo tricks in order to get by. No hotels or hostles unless you can arrange for a work for stay. Some also operate with a donation. Make good use of hiker boxes. Max out on any free-bee's that people leave for the taking along the trail. Make the effort to find free town food when you can. In any small trail town I go to a corner store and look at the local newspaper, in the church secton or announcments they list pot-luck dinners, prayer breakfasts etc. If you are clever enough at being a methodist for the day, you can get enugh food to make it to the next town. Another good source for semi free food is motels that have free continental breakfast. Most are so poorly watched that you can load up your pockets and be gone without ever actually staying there. I like the big chain places the best for this. The Holiday Inn Express in Erwin provided me enough food for me to get all the way to Kincora who had a chucked full hiker box that got me all the way to Demascus. $2,000 is enough if you don't mind methods like this.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:14

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77182-you-re-thoughts-on-my-thru-hike-gear-list

LOL he realized that 6k is WAYYYYYYY to much money

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:16
I can handle not sleeping in hotels and such I'm a really adaptable and rugged person i can sleep comfortably on nails and for the last 5+ years Ive eaten once every 1-3 days if that puts it into perspective. Its just hard to gauge the situation I'll be in with only $2k.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:17

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hike-gear-list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77182-you-re-thoughts-on-my-thru-hike-gear-list)

LOL he realized that 6k is WAYYYYYYY to much money

Actually I changed the list quite a bit but I bumped the cost up to 8k for my gear.

Hooch
02-19-2012, 20:19
So what's the reason you have to carry 40-50 lbs of gear?

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:23
Just to prevent this from turning into another retard thread I'll say that I think society is lame and I'd rather live as a hiker with freedom than deal with the cage of society. If the means bumping up the weight a big for quality stuff that lasts and gets the job done then so be it. Now that I answered your question Hooch shush and don't troll my thread like you did last time.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 20:24
You said we dont know how likely it is. Well if 1 in 5 finish regardless of pack you cant assume that even less finish with 40 lb packs so with that said, do you like your odds?

Hooch
02-19-2012, 20:27
Hey mods, can someone shut this troll down?

ekeverette
02-19-2012, 20:27
you can do it... so many opinions..... like an aa meeting. you know what you are capable of. good luck...... you can do it!!!!

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:28
I love how the very mention of a heavy pack derails any thread. Thnx for those who gave viable input.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:31
I can handle not sleeping in hotels and such I'm a really adaptable and rugged person i can sleep comfortably on nails and for the last 5+ years Ive eaten once every 1-3 days if that puts it into perspective. Its just hard to gauge the situation I'll be in with only $2k.

WOW and what are you asking again ?? you seem to think you are tough enough and only eat once every 1-3 days LOL you seem to have all teh answers, why come here and waste peoples time??

q-tip
02-19-2012, 20:37
Anything is possible. I spent 3 1/2 months on the trail and staying in hotels and eating a good meal became necessary. I suffered as we all do with 28 lbs., 40+, not too many make with that. My CT pack is now 13.5 lbs. + 10 lbs food-water. I accumulated the gear over several years, but after adding it up this week, it came to $3,100. SAFE-DRY-WARM--my basic priorities. No matter what I thought I was ready for , the Trail humbled me and most others I met.....

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:37
WOW and what are you asking again ?? you seem to think you are tough enough and only eat once every 1-3 days LOL you seem to have all teh answers, why come here and waste peoples time??

Eating every few days in a home environment is not the same as hiking 2k+ miles with a pack and doing it. Idiots like you are the reason I like to avoid these forums.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:42
Yea im them idiot, im the one who HAS hiked the trail (02), and at least SOMEWHAT knows what im talking about !! but lets look at you, you have hiked so LITTLE you dont even know how much you are going to eat!!! and im the idiot ?? you set there and give " i only eat once every 1-3 days" like that make your tough or something.... put your 50 pound pack on your back and walk, when you get back let us know how you did.

Hooch
02-19-2012, 20:44
This is the last I'll say on this thread. You purportedly are spending $8k on gear, but want to know if you can thru on $2k? I call bull**** and will wager that if we run the BS flag up, plenty of folks will salute.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:45
This is the last I'll say on this thread. You purportedly are spending $8k on gear, but want to know if you can thru on $2k? I call bull**** and will wager that if we run the BS flag up, plenty of folks will salute.

LOL i would

djcoin
02-19-2012, 20:49
Yea im them idiot, im the one who HAS hiked the trail (02), and at least SOMEWHAT knows what im talking about !! but lets look at you, you have hiked so LITTLE you dont even know how much you are going to eat!!! and im the idiot ?? you set there and give " i only eat once every 1-3 days" like that make your tough or something.... put your 50 pound pack on your back and walk, when you get back let us know how you did.

I'm not trying to impress or give any show of my knowledge, I'm simply giving straight facts and expecting straight answers in return. Without random presumptions and people telling me how to live my life. I know who I am and I know what I'm capable of. People like you are part of the reason I want out of society.

kayak karl
02-19-2012, 20:55
i'm with Hooch on this.
is the heavy pack extra food so you do not have to shuttle or go to town as often. 12 days instead of 6. seen people do that and you eat the lbs down.
is the pack heavy with gear. if this is the case then add more food to diet because you will need extra calories. i was 35 lb pack (with food) eating 4500 calories and lost 50 lb in 60 days.
did you spend $6000 on gear?
i think some more info is needed.
you need to go lite, go quick and go cheap to make it on $2000.

KK

jj2044
02-19-2012, 20:57
OK, well i will break it down for you... can you make it on 2k.... it comes down to 2nd grade math, did you graduate 2nd grade ?????? breakfast cost + lunch cost+ snack cost+ dinner cost = daily food cost..... daily food cost X number of days you think it will take you.. take will give you a "basic" budget.. if the numbers are to big for you to add reply and i will work it out for you.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 21:00
I know who I am and I know what I'm capable of.

then why are you here asking questions ???? people like you are a joke.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 21:06
I see, thank you karl for being useful instead of criticising. The pack is about 20-30 lb (not including food/water) as an approximate since I haven't received all my gear yet. What price range would you recommend for a thru hike making the assumption that I won't be eating out or staying at hotels/shelters at all? I'm not willing to give up any weight because this is essentially my house for the foreseeable future and I want everything to be top quality.

HiKen2011
02-19-2012, 21:07
6 months of hiking (180 days) at $10.00 per day for food? Sounds doable to me! Most folks will hike the trail in 150-160 days or less. I've never thru hiked but I usually spend around $7-8 a day for food. I'm no expert though.

kayak karl
02-19-2012, 21:23
I see, thank you karl for being useful instead of criticising. The pack is about 20-30 lb (not including food/water) as an approximate since I haven't received all my gear yet. What price range would you recommend for a thru hike making the assumption that I won't be eating out or staying at hotels/shelters at all? I'm not willing to give up any weight because this is essentially my house for the foreseeable future and I want everything to be top quality.
Normally the more expensive the gear the lighter it is (or should be).
I spent a lot of money on trail for the 1200 miles i did and had a blast. so i wouldn't be much help on $
If this is your house for the foreseeable future (i assume u mean years) i would stay put weeks at a time and move slowly and work (as in jobs) your way up the trail. will burn less calories then picking up your house and moving it each day.

KK

Panzer1
02-19-2012, 21:25
why can't you just get more money?

Panzer

jj2044
02-19-2012, 21:31
why can't you just get more money?

Panzer

I think the guy might be a little nuts, i went and looked at his old post, the gear one and people tore his story up pretty good.... his stories dont add up.. he says he spend 8k on gear.. well if thats true he is just a dumb@ss if he only left himself 2k for the whole hike.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 21:31
I only had a limited amount of funds to begin with. I decided to put most of it into my gear so i don't have to worry about replacements later. I originally had enough cash to leave me with at least 3k left but some stuff happened and i had to spend some of it.

Cookerhiker
02-19-2012, 21:41
With a total of $2,000 budget, I could make it. I would be using some of my old hobo tricks in order to get by. No hotels or hostles unless you can arrange for a work for stay. Some also operate with a donation. Make good use of hiker boxes. Max out on any free-bee's that people leave for the taking along the trail. Make the effort to find free town food when you can. In any small trail town I go to a corner store and look at the local newspaper, in the church secton or announcments they list pot-luck dinners, prayer breakfasts etc. If you are clever enough at being a methodist for the day, you can get enugh food to make it to the next town. Another good source for semi free food is motels that have free continental breakfast. Most are so poorly watched that you can load up your pockets and be gone without ever actually staying there. I like the big chain places the best for this. The Holiday Inn Express in Erwin provided me enough food for me to get all the way to Kincora who had a chucked full hiker box that got me all the way to Demascus. $2,000 is enough if you don't mind methods like this.

Hiker boxes are OK but as far as the rest of your recommendations, I don't think freeloading and dishonesty is the way to go.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 21:45
Hiker boxes are OK but as far as the rest of your recommendations, I don't think freeloading and dishonesty is the way to go.
Ya thats not really my style either :P I also want to avoid towns as much as possible.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 21:47
I think the guy might be a little nuts, i went and looked at his old post, the gear one and people tore his story up pretty good.... his stories dont add up.. he says he spend 8k on gear.. well if thats true he is just a dumb@ss if he only left himself 2k for the whole hike.

AHHHHH.. you are working under the assumption, expensive = better. Dang you found out the thru-hiker secert.. its true, its true.... more expensive does equal better.. i hear thats this years motto " expensive=better"... I have now completely changed my mind about you.... im sure you are going to kick the trails butt. lol

djcoin
02-19-2012, 21:52
When I bought my gear I wasn't looking at price tags. I evaluated What I wanted to do for the foreseeable future and spent 80% of this year doing extensive research into constructing my long term "house" for the AT and all future hikes. It just happens to be that a lot of it isn't cheap.

Cookerhiker
02-19-2012, 21:55
In your $2,000 budget, don't forget to include fuel - canisters, gas, alcohol, whatever - and batteries unless you have nothing electronic. Recharging things is out since you're not staying in any hostels etc. How are you treating water?

jj2044
02-19-2012, 21:56
When I bought my gear I wasn't looking at price tags. I evaluated What I wanted to do for the foreseeable future and spent 80% of this year doing extensive research into constructing my long term "house" for the AT and all future hikes. It just happens to be that a lot of it isn't cheap.

you spent all that time doing "extensive research" into your gear, but didnt really think about food huh. please let us know your name/trail name and start date, i would love to keep track of you. lol

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 21:59

I'm curious, what kinda gear you come up with?

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:03
In your $2,000 budget, don't forget to include fuel - canisters, gas, alcohol, whatever - and batteries unless you have nothing electronic. Recharging things is out since you're not staying in any hostels etc. How are you treating water? Unless you REALLY wana know, don't worry about it i got it covered.

you spent all that time doing "extensive research" into your gear, but didnt really think about food huh. please let us know your name/trail name and start date, i would love to keep track of you. lol
I got more enough time on my hands to look into food before its go time.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:06
I'm curious, what kinda gear you come up with?
Since I'm extremely bored and have nothing to do atm I guess I could compile my gear list for you if you really want to know..

jj2044
02-19-2012, 22:08
Djcoin, what is your trail name ? and start date ? i would LOVEEEEE to see you how your extensive reseach and planning turned out. Im leaving march 8th. i REALLLYY hope i get to see you out there

restless
02-19-2012, 22:11
djcoin- after reading this thread and looking over your gear list, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. First off, let me address something about you gear in general. You obviously paid top dollar for your gear; I'm sure you have your reasons for buying what you did but just because something is pricey does not guarantee it will hold up on the trail. You can pretty much bank on one of two things happening-either you will have to replace something at some point during your hike, at a minimum, you will have to invest in a new pair of shoes due to the fact that your feet will grow 1/2 to 1 full size or more over the course of a thru hike; or you will want to send stuff home. A lot of people start out with the notion they can carry everything they brought with them all the way to Maine, only to get to Neels Gap and realize they either dont need stuff, or what they have won't work. This may not be the case with you, but that would make you the exception to the rule. So far as the weight of your gear, 40-50 lbs is doable; many people carried that amount before, but I think before too long into your hike you will be looking to drop weight. Now, can you hike the trail on $2000? Sure, a lot of people have done it on that and on occasion for much less. You'll find though that your hike will not be as enjoyable. Despite the fact that people start out with no intention of staying in hotels/hostels, eating in restaurants, and so on, you'll find that after a few weeks on the trail you will actually need some reprieve of this sort to keep you on the trail. My suggestion would be to go as far as you can with the money you have. If you make it the whole way, great. If not, you've still will have hiked a good amount and can always come back and finish at a later point in life. You need to look at things realistically, though, and not discount others opinions on here just because they may be negative. Many people on here have thousands of trail miles under their belts and speak from experience.

swjohnsey
02-19-2012, 22:11
Since I'm extremely bored and have nothing to do atm I guess I could compile my gear list for you if you really want to know..

Not being flip, I'm curious, I really want to know. It doesn't have to be comprehensive, tent, bag, pad, pack, cooking set up, would do.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:12
Lol I don't particularly want a trail name and I don't intend to be registered or be very social either. Also It's highly unlikely that ill be able to leave until mid april at least, unless I get lucky with some things.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:19
Thanks restless for the advice. The gear list you looked at is pretty old and I've made many improvements to it. Also I'm aware of the things you stated about the trail and such, I know myself more then most people and I know I won't quit unless something happens like I run out of funds.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:20
give me a few minutes for that gear list swjohnsey

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:51
Sherpa 50 Adventure Kit
http://www.livecofriendly.com/sherpa-50-adventure-kit.html

steripen freedom
http://www.steripen.com/freedom

hilleberg soulo
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/soulo/soulo.php

Marmot Plasma +15 Sleeping Bag
http://www.rei.com/product/808964/marmot-plasma-15-sleeping-bag

X-bionic Outdoor 3L jacket (This might not be out by the time i have to leave but it turns out xbionic's symbionic membrane
is the only stuff you can actually use as raingear in the summer without getting soaked inside, there are other jackets with it but this one is the best they got)
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/outdoor/hiking/outdoor-3l/412847/detail

Garmin Montana 600
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75226&ra=true

X-bionic Trekking Evolution Socks
http://www.x-socks.com/x-socks/outdoor/trekking/trekking-evolution/415694/detail

Xbionic Trekking Boxer Shorts
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/underwear/trekking/134818/detail

X-BIONIC Trekking Underwear Shorts
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-trekking-underwear-shorts-42602/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Trekking Underwear Shirt
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-trekking-underwear-shirt-35268/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Energy accumulator EVO Longsleeved Shirt
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-energy-accumulator-evo-longsleeved-shirt-37429/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Energy Accumulator EVO Pants Long
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-energy-accumulator-evo-pants-long-37428/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Bondear Cap
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-bondear-cap-37432/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Fennec Bandana Visor
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-fennec-bandana-visor-45223/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Outdoor Beaver Jacket
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-outdoor-beaver-jacket-45225/?gShowausverkauf=0

Xbionic Mountaineering Pants
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/mountaineering/412855/detail

Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core Headlamp
http://www.rei.com/product/808896/petzl-tikka-xp-2-core-headlamp

Bora 80 Backpack
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Bora-80

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink
http://www.rei.com/product/758050/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink

Vargo Titanium Hexagon Backpacking Wood Stove
http://www.backpacker.com/gear-review-vargo-titanium-hexagon-wood-stove/gear/14993

Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Pot w/Handle
http://www.backcountry.com/evernew-titanium-non-stick-pot-w-handle-.9l

poles (I THINK these are the ones I have)
http://www.backcountry.com/leki-carbonlite-xl-trekking-poles?CMP_SKU=LEK0164&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&003=7162907&010=LEK0164&mr:trackingCode=B19CA7E6-5B42-E111-9FB4-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA

Neo Air All Season Mattress
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product

San Mai iii SRK (knife)
http://www.coldsteel.com/srk-san-mai-iii.html

May or may not have missed something.

ScottP
02-19-2012, 22:53
doesn't sound like the AT is what you're looking for. Try

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:55
For those wondering if Xbionic actually works, yes it does I own everything on the list besides the jacket. It works so well in fact Id say it was battery powered if I didn't know any better.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 22:55
doesn't sound like the AT is what you're looking for. Try
Why do you say that?

jj2044
02-19-2012, 22:59
O, now i know for sure YOU are the idiot.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:00
Please explain.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:02
first off send that GPS back there is NO REASON AT ALL for it on the AT... that right there saved you like 500, now you can spend 2500 on food.. lol

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:04
I already said this list is not just for the AT but for ALL future hikes. GPS is useful on CDT, etc. This is my LONG-term house.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:06
Oh yeah I knew i forgot something
Zamberlan sella
http://www.zappos.com/zamberlan-sella-nw-gt-rr
My boots

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:06
I question why you came here. You seem to have all the answers :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:08
I already said this list is not just for the AT but for ALL future hikes. GPS is useful on CDT, etc. This is my LONG-term house.
What happens when something breaks or needs to be replaced or is a certified POS. I mean if you have all of the answers and this is the only gear you plan on having and think it will be guaranteed forever.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:11
You're right, I got the answer I'm looking for on this thread. Right now I'm just bored and this is the only thing I have to do :P
Also more than anything I specifically picked out my gear based on its durability. Unless I foolishly treat my gear or have some major accident this stuff should last me decades.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:12

this is your Long-term house but you only have 2k for food ??? you are either borderline retarded, or you are just making stuff up !!! your more then likely not even going to finish the AT with your money let along GET to CDT or complete it.... you need to seriously look in the mirror and figure out what your tryin to do.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:12
Besides almost everything on the list has a no questions lifetime guarantee.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:13
You're right, I got the answer I'm looking for on this thread. Right now I'm just bored and this is the only thing I have to do :P
Also more than anything I specifically picked out my gear based on its durability. Unless I foolishly treat my gear or have some major accident this stuff should last me decades.
Based on who? Have you tested it all? If you owned it before and its so durable, you shouldn't have to replace it

swjohnsey
Sherpa 50 Adventure Kit
http://www.livecofriendly.com/sherpa-50-adventure-kit.html

steripen freedom
http://www.steripen.com/freedom

hilleberg soulo
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/soulo/soulo.php

Marmot Plasma +15 Sleeping Bag
http://www.rei.com/product/808964/marmot-plasma-15-sleeping-bag

X-bionic Outdoor 3L jacket (This might not be out by the time i have to leave but it turns out xbionic's symbionic membrane
is the only stuff you can actually use as raingear in the summer without getting soaked inside, there are other jackets with it but this one is the best they got)
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/outdoor/hiking/outdoor-3l/412847/detail

Garmin Montana 600
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75226&ra=true

X-bionic Trekking Evolution Socks
http://www.x-socks.com/x-socks/outdoor/trekking/trekking-evolution/415694/detail

Xbionic Trekking Boxer Shorts
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/underwear/trekking/134818/detail

X-BIONIC Trekking Underwear Shorts
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-trekking-underwear-shorts-42602/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Trekking Underwear Shirt
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-trekking-underwear-shirt-35268/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Energy accumulator EVO Longsleeved Shirt
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-energy-accumulator-evo-longsleeved-shirt-37429/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Energy Accumulator EVO Pants Long
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-energy-accumulator-evo-pants-long-37428/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Bondear Cap
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-bondear-cap-37432/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Fennec Bandana Visor
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-fennec-bandana-visor-45223/?gShowausverkauf=0

X-BIONIC Outdoor Beaver Jacket
http://www.fashionwear24.ch/en/sportswear/mens/brands/x-bionic/x-bionic-outdoor-beaver-jacket-45225/?gShowausverkauf=0

Xbionic Mountaineering Pants
http://www.x-bionic.com/men/mountaineering/412855/detail

Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core Headlamp
http://www.rei.com/product/808896/petzl-tikka-xp-2-core-headlamp

Bora 80 Backpack
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Bora-80

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink
http://www.rei.com/product/758050/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink

Vargo Titanium Hexagon Backpacking Wood Stove
http://www.backpacker.com/gear-review-vargo-titanium-hexagon-wood-stove/gear/14993

Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Pot w/Handle
http://www.backcountry.com/evernew-titanium-non-stick-pot-w-handle-.9l

poles (I THINK these are the ones I have)
http://www.backcountry.com/leki-carbonlite-xl-trekking-poles?CMP_SKU=LEK0164&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&003=7162907&010=LEK0164&mr:trackingCode=B19CA7E6-5B42-E111-9FB4-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA

Neo Air All Season Mattress
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product

San Mai iii SRK (knife)
http://www.coldsteel.com/srk-san-mai-iii.html

May or may not have missed something.

I some way our gear is similar.

Tent: Mine Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, weighs about 2 lbs. Yours is a great tent but designed for mountereering and weighs and costs about twice as much. They are about the same size.

Pack: Mine ULA Ohm 2.0 weighs about 1' 12" cost around $200. Yours weighs over 6 pounds. Mine is only about 55 liters. When you carry less you can have a smaller pack.

Pad: Mine Thermarest Neoair Xlite, about 8 ounces. Sometimes you compromise. Your pad is more comfortable. Mine is much smaller and lighter.

Bag: Western Mounteering Highlite 35 w/ Zpack Cuben stuff sack, about 1'1". Folks give me grief for carry such a light bag for an Mar 30 start . . . but I know my limitation.

Headlamp: Petzl eLite. About an ounce and all the light you will need unless you plan to night hike, also waterproof.

My total weight leaving Springer with three days of food, fuel and water is about 20 pounds.

jj2044
Chaco Taco... you read that...decades...... yep thats right the guy that has no clue about hiking thinks his gear is going to last " decades"

Chaco Taco

You came here seeming to have all the answers and just seem to be trolling

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:14
this is your Long-term house but you only have 2k for food ??? you are either borderline retarded, or you are just making stuff up !!! your more then likely not even going to finish the AT with your money let along GET to CDT or complete it.... you need to seriously look in the mirror and figure out what your tryin to do.
I only have 2k this time because of my massive spending but I already have things worked out so I can make plenty for next year, etc. Don't assume so much.

y

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:15
I will say this, no matter what sleeping bag you own, after living in it for a year straight, its going to need replacing

Cost of a piece of gear doesnt mean durability. I learned that.

I have a feeling we are going to hear about you out there this year. I hope I meet you on the trail this summer on my hike

ScottP
AT isn't wilderness. It's a chain of small pockets of woods. Millions of people a year use it, and you aren't dropping out of society, you're just joining an alternate society.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great experience. But if you want to go out into the great wilds then the AT is going to disappoint as anything other than a teaching tool.

djcoin
You came here seeming to have all the answers and just seem to be trolling
Im just having a conversation, chill.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:16
stop that taco !!!! its going to last decades and we both know it !! lol

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:18
AT isn't wilderness. It's a chain of small pockets of woods. Millions of people a year use it, and you aren't dropping out of society, you're just joining an alternate society.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great experience. But if you want to go out into the great wilds then the AT is going to disappoint as anything other than a teaching tool.
Yeah I know, I'd like to do the cdt or something more isolated instead but AT is best for right now.

Hooch
02-19-2012, 23:19
I question why you came here. You seem to have all the answers :rolleyes:To troll, just like he did last time. Clearly attention seeking behavior.

djcoin
stop that taco !!!! its going to last decades and we both know it !! lol
Hey man I'm serious lol. Unlike certain other people here "cough" I don't assume things. I'm basing my info off of countless testimonies from people that have actually used this gear.

Chaco Taco
Im just having a conversation, chill.

You give folks from CT a bad name bro hammer :)

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:20
Hey man I'm serious lol. Unlike certain other people here "cough" I don't assume things. I'm basing my info off of countless testimonies from people that have actually used this gear.
Wait so you haven't actually used it or tried it all out?

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2012, 23:20
Your gear list costs more than my car. Have you given any thought to the real possibility of someone stealing your full pack when they find out what it's worth?

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:22
Your gear list costs more than my car. Have you given any thought to the real possibility of someone stealing your full pack when they find out what it's worth?
What if a bear comes in and runs off with your stuff, it happens, trust me

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:22
I have but not for decades lol.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:23
Wait so you haven't actually used it or tried it all out?

heck no he hasnt!!!! longest hike he has been on was from the computer to the ****ter.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:23
Yeah I've thought of the possibility of theft. I basically plan to bare my teeth to anyone whos hand gets to close to my bag and never let it out of my sight..more or less.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:24
that was *****ter.. by the way lol

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:25
taco i think we both know this guys plan is air tight... we should move on lol

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:25
Yeah I've thought of the possibility of theft. I basically plan to bare my teeth to anyone whos hand gets to close to my bag and never let it out of my sight..more or less.

So what if you get out there and your **** falls apart? Im just curious as to your answer?

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:26
heck no he hasnt!!!! longest hike he has been on was from the computer to the ****ter.
Aside from alot of this year I've spent most of my days doing high output activities such as martial arts, biking, weight lifting, etc. I'm not a fatty lol. Besides I've been doing alot of 3-5 day hikes the past few months.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:27
Aside from alot of this year I've spent most of my days doing high output activities such as martial arts, biking, weight lifting, etc. I'm not a fatty lol. Besides I've been doing alot of 3-5 day hikes the past few months.

and cyberhiking, just saying

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:28
HAHAHAHA how did i know you were going to say martial arts lol

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:29
Eh the closest interest I've had to hiking before last year was rock climbing. Never even thought about the AT til last april.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:29
it seems like anytime you find a douche bag online he is always into martial arts lol, i dont understand it lol

Rasty
02-19-2012, 23:30
Bet he does not make it 100 miles. That would be $8 per mile on gear. I will donate $20 to whiteblaze if he does?

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:31
it seems like anytime you find a douche bag online he is always into martial arts lol, i dont understand it lol
It's funny cuz you guys are the only ones being a douche.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:33
This thread has been so funny that I had to read the last couple of pages to my wife. I can't stop friggin laughing. Are you going for a speed record too?

You still didn't answer my question, what if you get out there and some of your gear falls apart? Just curious as to your backup plan?

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:33
LOL thats weird becuase everyone else seems to think its you lol im a smart@ss thats for sure, but there is no question your the douche

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:37
Yeah well, I've never really been keen on caring about what other people think. I came here to have a straight conversation but it's surprising how far the stupidity of the internet reaches.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:39
Yeah well, I've never really been keen on caring about what other people think. I came here to have a straight conversation but it's surprising how far the stupidity of the internet reaches.
But you care enough to get people to respond to your gear list?
and.....ITS THE INTERNET, of course its stupid

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2012, 23:41
HAHAHAHA how did i know you were going to say martial arts lol

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=_g0mUyH6dI8&amp;nomobile=1

(Sorry nothing personal, I just can't pass up the chance to post this link :rolleyes:)

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:45
But you care enough to get people to respond to your gear list?
and.....ITS THE INTERNET, of course its stupid
Like I said I'm bored. I got a few hours to kill before I sleep.
Also as much as I'd like to think the internet is stupid because people are messing around its obvious that its not.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:46
stupidity is coming from you... 4 thru-hikers have no called you out..... but i guess we could all just be scared of your awesomeness lol

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:47
So about that backup plan. I just really want to hear what you are going to do if and when you have a piece of gear fail you. What if your tent rips or tent poles snap. It happens. What then? Seeing that your tent is $600.....

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:48
Ya they called me out and I listened. However my particular situation isn't the same as everyone else. Think before you talk. Besides A few thrus have pmed me saying they support me. Same with last time.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:51
So about that backup plan. I just really want to hear what you are going to do if and when you have a piece of gear fail you. What if your tent rips or tent poles snap. It happens. What then? Seeing that your tent is $600.....

Like I said almost everything on the list has a lifetime no questions asked guarantee aka they will replace it or fix it for free. Besides it would take some serious force to rip that tent.

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:51
oh yea yea, they all PM'ed me too and told me tthey were joking when PM'ed you ... i only tell the truth

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:53
Plus the tent comes with a spare pole and repair kit anyway aside from the fact its designed for and tested in every type of weather on earth.

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:55
Like I said almost everything on the list has a lifetime no questions asked guarantee aka they will replace it or fix it for free. Besides it would take some serious force to rip that tent.

Oh you have so much to learn...Have fun and good luck, I think with your attitude, you are definitely going to need it

Chaco Taco
02-19-2012, 23:56
Plus the tent comes with a spare pole and repair kit anyway aside from the fact its designed for and tested in every type of weather on earth.

HAHAHA, North Face says the same thing! And Ill bet that tent can't keep out a mouse

jj2044
02-19-2012, 23:57
i almost willing to bet this guy doesnt even make it to the trail.

Amanita
02-19-2012, 23:58
okay, so maybe wait on the GPS and have $2500 in the bank. Then if you have $500 left over from only spending $2000 on your hike buy the GPS after the AT. And by then the GPS you want might go on sale, and you save money.

And that pack is HUGE (and heavy and expensive), are you sure you need that much room?

I think what people are trying to point out is that the only way to really know what will work for you is to experiment and use your gear in the field. With all your money tied up in expensive gear you haven't really tested, you have no flexibility if that gear doesn't end up working well for you. Money in the bank is flexibility, you don't have to spend it but it can provide options when things don't go according to plan.

djcoin
02-19-2012, 23:59
Well this is starting to get boring. Not even resembling a conversation anymore. Later

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 00:00
Well this is starting to get boring. Not even resembling a conversation anymore. Later

Hey you have all the answers....

djcoin
02-20-2012, 00:04
okay, so maybe wait on the GPS and have $2500 in the bank. Then if you have $500 left over from only spending $2000 on your hike buy the GPS after the AT. And by then the GPS you want might go on sale, and you save money.

And that pack is HUGE (and heavy and expensive), are you sure you need that much room?

I think what people are trying to point out is that the only way to really know what will work for you is to experiment and use your gear in the field. With all your money tied up in expensive gear you haven't really tested, you have no flexibility if that gear doesn't end up working well for you. Money in the bank is flexibility, you don't have to spend it but it can provide options when things don't go according to plan.
Nvm a last second surprise. Yeah I know the pack is big but unfortunately I got suckered into buying it on some crappy website without a guarantee like rei. It was also the 1st thing I bought and I didn't know as much then as I do now. Either way unless I'm physically incapable of continuing on I'll tough up the extra 10-20lb I'm carrying. Besides I've had enough field tests with the gear I have so far to say It wont be a problem.

djcoin
02-20-2012, 00:16
O well guess that's it then, nice talking to (most of) you. later

Kookork
02-20-2012, 00:56
You are very young( it is good and bad my dear). I think you are 26 or close. When I was 24 , after a major accident!!!! when I lost 5 of my friends in a blink I was so depressed and pissed off that I decided to cast away from society to find out why I was the only survivor of that accident!!! and answer many other questions.

I had no clue about survival in the woods and how to survive. I was just extremely angry and depressed and wanted to go somewhere that nobody can bother me. Long story short, I lived in mountains for 120 days ,lost 60 pounds, ate every creepy thing that you can ever imagine and then got back when the first snow covered the mountains. I saw just three people in 120 days and they were all shepherd grazing their sheep.

When my mother opened the door and look at me after 120 days( they were sure I am dead or committed suicide). She said something that I will never forget for the rest of my life, she said crying out loud hugging me : I pray to god that gives you a son that does exactly what you did to us. I never married so her curse(pray) wont happen to me......

I am talking about 20 years ago. Now I am wise enough to look at that experience and say that all that ordeal was not necessary. There was a better way for me to cope with my situation as simple as going to a psychiatrist and starting some anti depressive medication.

Nobody could convince me when I was 24 not to do what I wanted to do. I think you are like my younger time, nobody can convince you that there are better way to do the things you want to do your way.

Nothing is wrong and you are not breaking any rules or regulations. Just go and experience for yourself and then hopefully if you liked it you will be somebody totally different when you start your PCT or CDT( if you liked it) but do not think that you know everything and others have no clue about what yo are doing. They just want to help . Now it is time to listen. They are giving you free advice, You don't like it? why? it is free but priceless indeed.

go and figure it out on your own.

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 07:07
You are very young( it is good and bad my dear). I think you are 26 or close. When I was 24 , after a major accident!!!! when I lost 5 of my friends in a blink I was so depressed and pissed off that I decided to cast away from society to find out why I was the only survivor of that accident!!! and answer many other questions.

I had no clue about survival in the woods and how to survive. I was just extremely angry and depressed and wanted to go somewhere that nobody can bother me. Long story short, I lived in mountains for 120 days ,lost 60 pounds, ate every creepy thing that you can ever imagine and then got back when the first snow covered the mountains. I saw just three people in 120 days and they were all shepherd grazing their sheep.

When my mother opened the door and look at me after 120 days( they were sure I am dead or committed suicide). She said something that I will never forget for the rest of my life, she said crying out loud hugging me : I pray to god that gives you a son that does exactly what you did to us. I never married so her curse(pray) wont happen to me......

I am talking about 20 years ago. Now I am wise enough to look at that experience and say that all that ordeal was not necessary. There was a better way for me to cope with my situation as simple as going to a psychiatrist and starting some anti depressive medication.

Nobody could convince me when I was 24 not to do what I wanted to do. I think you are like my younger time, nobody can convince you that there are better way to do the things you want to do your way.

Nothing is wrong and you are not breaking any rules or regulations. Just go and experience for yourself and then hopefully if you liked it you will be somebody totally different when you start your PCT or CDT( if you liked it) but do not think that you know everything and others have no clue about what yo are doing. They just want to help . Now it is time to listen. They are giving you free advice, You don't like it? why? it is free but priceless indeed.

go and figure it out on your own.

Hmm, great post

restless
02-20-2012, 11:22
djcoin..just out of curiousity, what is your hiking/backpacking experience?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2012, 11:26
HI, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a thru hike with a $2000 food budget.
for food alone? yes. $2000 is plenty

JAK
02-21-2012, 08:12
Nvm a last second surprise. Yeah I know the pack is big but unfortunately I got suckered into buying it on some crappy website without a guarantee like rei. It was also the 1st thing I bought and I didn't know as much then as I do now. Either way unless I'm physically incapable of continuing on I'll tough up the extra 10-20lb I'm carrying. Besides I've had enough field tests with the gear I have so far to say It wont be a problem.My first pack was also to heavy. Experiences like that teach you that just because people make a living by selling stuff, and people buy it, doesn't mean its a good idea. Same with spending $5000 on a thru-hike. Many people on this forum make a living off the trail, or have friends that do, or have spent $5000 themselves so their sort of stuck on the idea. It can be done cheaper but there will always be alot of pressure to spend more. Nothing wrong with it really. Don't let all the crap bother you. If you don't like it, avoid towns as much as possible or hike a trail without so many people trying to make a living off it, and so many people willing to let them.

jersey joe
02-21-2012, 09:46
I also thru hiked with a pack that weighed around 7lbs., mostly because I already owned the pack. You don't have to buy into(litterally) the ultra light mindset if you don't want to.

JAK
02-21-2012, 12:04
I held onto my $200 6 pound mistake for a few years before replacing it with a $100 Jam2, and gave the 6 pound mistake away to a friend. He hasn't used it yet but he has more closet space. The UHL Ohm looks like a better pack, but I saw a Large Jam2 on sale for $100 while driving through upper state New York and couldn't pass it up. Won't replace it because its close enough but easiest 5 pounds I've ever lost.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2012, 12:09
all my hikes were with so-called heavy packs

JAK
02-21-2012, 12:19
Yeah but you're the LW, and one tough hombre.
Hang tough.

djcoin
02-21-2012, 12:57
If I was gunna get another pack it would have been the http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Naos-85# anyway, It's 2 pounds lighter and waterproof. I don't think it's a very wise idea to carry around my kind of gear with a light weight backpack. Besides the bora pack is near legendary status in the backpack world so I don't think It's particularly a bad thing I have it.

JAK
02-21-2012, 13:01
Yes, for the amount you are carrying you need something more than a Jam2, but 2-3 pounds should do it.

moongoddess
02-21-2012, 13:23
Buying that Arc'teryx Naos 85 would be a better use of your limited funds than purchasing that GPS unit. It would save your back 2 pounds, and you don't need a GPS for the Appalachian Trail, which is the trail you are hiking NOW. A year or so from now, when you're ready to go out and hike a trail where a GPS unit would be genuinely helpful, you could buy a brand-new and completely up-to-date unit instead of hiking with an older model (which is what you'll be forced to do if you buy your GPS now). Best of all: sell your Bora pack and replace it with a lighter model AND skip the GPS unit. You'd end up with both a lighter pack AND an additional $500 to add to your budget for your upcoming hike.

Kookork
02-21-2012, 13:23
The most impressive feature of many of your gears is Price Tag IMHO but if you like them and think they are great,then what the heck I am talking about,,:),,

djcoin
02-21-2012, 13:31
Buying that Arc'teryx Naos 85 would be a better use of your limited funds than purchasing that GPS unit. It would save your back 2 pounds, and you don't need a GPS for the Appalachian Trail, which is the trail you are hiking NOW. A year or so from now, when you're ready to go out and hike a trail where a GPS unit would be genuinely helpful, you could buy a brand-new and completely up-to-date unit instead of hiking with an older model (which is what you'll be forced to do if you buy your GPS now). Best of all: sell your Bora pack and replace it with a lighter model AND skip the GPS unit. You'd end up with both a lighter pack AND an additional $500 to add to your budget for your upcoming hike. I've been thinking about that for awhile now but I'm not sure how to get a quick sale on it. There's also the potential factor that naos might ride differently for me and be uncomfortable whereas I find the bora very comfortable weight aside.

JAK
02-21-2012, 13:49
Not the end of the world to hike with an extra few pounds for awhile, but don't be too committed to past decisions. You will make plenty of mistakes in the woods also, and you have to learn to be willing to recognize them. When in doubt, stop and have a cup of tea, a good laugh, then start again.

Slo-go'en
02-21-2012, 14:53
If djcoin leaves Springer with a 40 to 50 pound load, having only 2 grand will be fine, as it's unlikely he'll make it out of Georgia.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2012, 14:57
If djcoin leaves Springer with a 40 to 50 pound load, having only 2 grand will be fine, as it's unlikely he'll make it out of Georgia.
that kinda load was very common back in the day. everybody made it out of georgia. we were tougher back then.

max patch
02-21-2012, 15:05

I started with 50 pounds, got it down to a sweet 45 by Damascus, and because I wanted to take my time in the 100 mile wilderness I bought some extra clothes in Monson and took 10 days of food and left there with 62 pounds. Lighter is better, but you don't need a 20 pound pack to be successful.

Don't feel the weight with a properly fitted external pack.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2012, 15:15
pack weight has nothing to do with success or failure

Rasty
02-21-2012, 15:35
I have two pack weights.
1) Family hike with around 50# because I'm taking much of my kids gear.
2) Solo with around 25#

I make almost the same distance. Only hike six days at a time for vacation. I think the wear and tear on my knees with the larger pack would be a problem for me. I'm 5'11" and 150# also. If I was the same height but 40 more pounds of muscle the 50# probably would not be an issue.

Kookork
02-21-2012, 15:46
I started with 50 pounds, got it down to a sweet 45 by Damascus, and because I wanted to take my time in the 100 mile wilderness I bought some extra clothes in Monson and took 10 days of food and left there with 62 pounds. Lighter is better, but you don't need a 20 pound pack to be successful.

Don't feel the weight with a properly fitted external pack.

My knees, shin , ankles,feet and sole of feet don't care if I am using external, internal or nonternal:) frame backpack. They hurt when I carry too much. Being said that my back and shoulder care.