PDA

View Full Version : Shoe advice please!

B-Rabbit
02-19-2012, 21:29
Anyone ever tried any of these shoes and would you recommend them for a thru-hike?

Shoes: Montrail Masochist
Salomon XA
Brooks Cascadia 6

Looking for: Fast draining, light, durable, and has great traction on all surfaces including rock.

B-Rabbit
02-19-2012, 22:01
So, maybe I should ask what shoe works for you?

Nutbrown
02-19-2012, 22:10
I have the Salomon and love them. Light, comfy, and just roomy enough in the toe box. They have good arch support with my insert. Good traction. Not sure about the draining bit. I always take em off and go barefoot when crossing water.

ScottP
02-19-2012, 22:39
Anyone ever tried any of these shoes and would you recommend them for a thru-hike?

Shoes: Montrail Masochist
Salomon XA
Brooks Cascadia 6

Looking for: Fast draining, light, durable, and has great traction on all surfaces including rock.

IMO montrail went to crap when columbia bought them out.

In general I've found the trail running shoes produced by large shoe companies to be superior to those made by trail-running specific companies.

The salomons are ok. I hiked in them for a while. I snapped off one of the lace-eyes climbing a tree and ruined the pair. Never bought another.
I don't know anything about brooks, but they're a popular brand among serious runners. That's probably a good sign.

You might want to see if there's a running store in your area; you could go there and try a whole bunch on. Footwear is pretty hiker-specific. If that's not an option try a bunch of ideas from Zappo's and mail back the ones you don't like.

In that same class of shoe I've liked:
Nike Air pegasus (they come in trail and road)
Asics trail runner (forgot which one)

Other brands to look into:
inov-8
Saucony
New Balance

at some point I switched from trail runners to road runninng shoes. Road shoes tend to be a touch lighter and more flexible, which I preferred over the 'protection'

ndwoods
02-20-2012, 02:41
I wear Brooks Ariels. Brooks insoles just last forever!

Don H
02-20-2012, 08:53
Went through 5 pairs of Brooks Adrenalin trail runners with Superfeet insoles on my thru. They held up pretty well for trail runners, about 500 miles each.

B-Rabbit
02-20-2012, 09:31
Great info! Bought a pair of LaSportiva Wildcats, but they have absolutely no traction on rock, which I could see being a problem on the trail. I think Im leaning towards the Brooks Cascadia 6. I just hope they have the traction I am looking for. I can't find a decent shoe store. All of them have a very limited selection. Guess it will take driving all over the place so I can try on multiple pairs. Was just looking for a place to start.

ScottP
02-20-2012, 09:37
http://www.fleetfeetjohnscreek.com/

http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ (http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/)

just google search for 'running store' in your area. There's a whole bunch. Tell them what you're doing and what you're looking for.

bigcranky
02-20-2012, 09:42
The Salomon XA come in the XA Pro and the XA Comp. Having used both, I prefer the XA Comp. They are softer and more flexible. The show is a little narrow and low volume, and it has the lacing system that you either love or hate (love it!), so it's best if you can try them on somewhere.

fins1838
02-20-2012, 10:01
Saucony? I would never recommend to anyone. It is my opinion they are a horrible shoe. The Zappos idea is a good one. Pricy but the best customer service there is. Once ordered an item at 10:45pm & it was on my porch 5:00pm the next day. And their returns are so easy.

Hooch
02-20-2012, 10:02
I'm also a Salomon fan and have the XA Pro 3D Ultra. Love 'em! I'll definitely agree with Big Cranky and say that you will definitely either love or hate the lacing system (Love it!), so it's best to try them on and give it a try before spending the money. If you have a good outfitter close to you, head that direction, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.

fins1838
02-20-2012, 10:03
I say for price & comfort; New Balance & Merrill.