PDA

View Full Version : question about carrying vitamins with a low budget.

djcoin
02-20-2012, 01:15
This may or may not be a dumb question but I have a $2k budget for the at this year and I recall having a jar filled with a 6 month supply of vitamins which had like 100% dv of everything once upon a time that couldn't have weighed more then 1-2lb. I was wondering if it would be worth it to lug something like that around In order to ease up on the things I need to buy for nutritional balance?
Maybe in theory survive a lot better on cheap junk like ramen.

swjohnsey
02-20-2012, 01:20
Do they have 100% of your daily requirement of protein?

Vitamins are cheap. You could buy a 30 day supply along the trial. For me, I include them in my biweekly supply drop.

djcoin
02-20-2012, 01:36
No I don't think they had much if any protein in them. How much are protein vitamins? are they heavy?

Sierra Echo
02-20-2012, 01:41
There is no such thing as "protein vitamins" LOL!

djcoin
02-20-2012, 01:42
Doesn't seem like protein pills exist from a quick google search. Perhaps I can carry around a jar of peanut butter as well? I don't think I want to be making protein shakes on the trail especially considering their weight and the crappy residue they leave in your bottles.

Rocket Jones
02-20-2012, 02:53
Why are people so ready to compromise their health to hike?

Figure out how to do the trail while eating the way you need to without nonsense nutritional shortcuts, and hike until you run out of money. You're going to live a lot longer than your time on the trail. Take care of yourself first.

djcoin
02-20-2012, 03:25
Is there something wrong with vitamins? lol

TOMP
02-20-2012, 03:46
Carrying 2 lbs of anything that you will only use over 6 months is a bad idea. Would you carry 6 months of batteries for your camera or pain killers? I think you need to take a good look at your pack and weed out items like this, not saying dont take vitamins just dont carry enough for everyone at camp. I think this is the route cause of your 40+lb pack. Fix it now or fix it on the trail, but it would be easier to fix it now.
Also, nutrition should be more than ramen and vitamins, alot of vitamins dont absorb if you arent eating properly anyhow.

Jeff
02-20-2012, 08:40

Good question !!!! Folks spend so much time researching gear choices and so little time researching food and their trail diet.

Spokes
02-20-2012, 08:49
No I don't think they had much if any protein in them. How much are protein vitamins? are they heavy?

New trail name... Major Tom.

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take Your Protein Pill and put Your Helmet on.......

On second thought, "protein pill" would be kinda cool too.

Cheers!

aaronthebugbuffet
02-20-2012, 08:56

It seems like a lot of people compromise their health all the time.
If this guy only eats "unhealthy" for 4-6 months, he will better off than most.

Lol@ Spokes!!

Hooch
02-20-2012, 09:04
There really is no difference in carrying vitamin on a low budget versus carrying vitamins on a higher budget. Either way, you're carrying vitamins. However, don't carry the entire supply ("1-2 lb") all at once. That's just unnecessary weight you're lugging around. Divide your supply up and send ahead in mail drops or a bounce box.

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 09:10
There really is no difference in carrying vitamin on a low budget versus carrying vitamins on a higher budget. Either way, you're carrying vitamins. However, don't carry the entire supply ("1-2 lb") all at once. That's just unnecessary weight you're lugging around. Divide your supply up and send ahead in mail drops or a bounce box.

and make sure they are in some sort of airtight thing or everything taste like vitamins. I made this mistake with a food drop and had vitamin taste in my snacks for a week

Hooch
02-20-2012, 09:21
and make sure they are in some sort of airtight thing or everything taste like vitamins. I made this mistake with a food drop and had vitamin taste in my snacks for a weekMmmmmmmmm!

swjohnsey
02-20-2012, 09:25
Doesn't seem like protein pills exist from a quick google search. Perhaps I can carry around a jar of peanut butter as well? I don't think I want to be making protein shakes on the trail especially considering their weight and the crappy residue they leave in your bottles.

Peanut butter is an excellet choice, high in protein, calorie dense, relatively cheap and available along the trail.

Spokes
02-20-2012, 09:28
Yes to peanut butter! By the end of my thru I was eating 2 jars a week. Loved the stuff with a hint of honey.

Sierra Echo
02-20-2012, 10:19
I'm still giggling about the protein vitamins!

Rayo
02-20-2012, 10:23
On second thought, "protein pill" would be kinda cool too.

+1

Agreed, protein pill fits the bill.

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 10:28
I'm still giggling about the protein vitamins!

They're called "bacon".