PDA

View Full Version : What concerns you most about your upcoming hike?

Joshua Mac
02-20-2012, 06:46
For me, the thought of hitchhiking still makes me feel uneasy. I've read on many threads that it's not as frightening as it seems, but still mom's lesson of "don't get into a car with strangers" lingers in my mind...

TOMP
02-20-2012, 07:02
If it worries you that much, dont do it, or dont do it alone, or dont do it if you dont feel safe with the particular person who stops. You might insult the person who stops if you dont get in but you probably will never see them again anyway, so do what you need to do to feel safe.

What I am most worried about is hiking that many 20 mile days in a row month after month.

HT1
02-20-2012, 07:46
hypothermia
dehydration
hunger
foot injury

Seems like every hiker tale of woe involves one of these 4 things. the first 3 are almost always caused by someone trying to "go Lite". I'm questioning myself constantly, "do I have enough clothes/bedding, food, water?"

aaronthebugbuffet
02-20-2012, 08:24
What I am most worried about is hiking that many 20 mile days in a row month after month.
You can just 19.5 mile days if you get tired and weary.

The Mighty Tiberious
02-20-2012, 08:29
Deer Ticks (Lyme Disease)

Mice Across my face or in my Sleepibg Bag while I sleep.

The Approach Trail Stairs and steep pitches.

Finding re-supply in small villages.

Running out of iPhone battery (camera, journal, books)

Wet Down Sleeping bag

Heavy Rain coming thru my single wall tent.

Family health pulling off the trail.

Not making it end to end.

ekeverette
02-20-2012, 09:01
cold rain.... and getting wet; which is going to happen..... and also lighting!!!!! those are the 2 biggies for me.

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 09:06
For me, the thought of hitchhiking still makes me feel uneasy. I've read on many threads that it's not as frightening as it seems, but still mom's lesson of "don't get into a car with strangers" lingers in my mind...

You will most likely be with other people. Its different along the trail corridor than just hitching in general. A lot of the time its locals that are used to seeing hikers. Other times it tourists or other hikers just wanting to help out.

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 09:09
hypothermia
dehydration
hunger
foot injury

Seems like every hiker tale of woe involves one of these 4 things. the first 3 are almost always caused by someone trying to "go Lite". I'm questioning myself constantly, "do I have enough clothes/bedding, food, water?"
After you have dealt with weather, you won't question anything with hypo. Hunger is all part of it. Your feet will always hurt in some way, esp the first few days. Water in VA in the summer is the only thing Id pat closer attention to.

sjd0397
02-20-2012, 11:52
resupply... I plan and plan again and i just can't stop worrying about it.

Juice
02-20-2012, 12:39
Sasquatch herpes.

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 12:47
I'm afraid that I'll get out on the trail and lose the motivation for doing a complete thru, or having something come up where I have to get off the trail where the cause is within me. Not something like an injury, or ridiculous weather, or funding... but where I give up on myself. Right now, I don't see anything that leads me to think that this is going to happen, but then again... I'm not walking through a green tunnel for mile upon mile right now, either.

takethisbread
02-20-2012, 13:47
You need to be done in 3 months. A job to get to? I dont find 20's too easy to come by in the far south (but very possible) and virtually impossible in NH and Maine. I'm just not In that kind of shape.
Good luck with that pace! I'd guess you are going to blow right by me.

If it worries you that much, dont do it, or dont do it alone, or dont do it if you dont feel safe with the particular person who stops. You might insult the person who stops if you dont get in but you probably will never see them again anyway, so do what you need to do to feel safe.

TOMP
02-20-2012, 14:15
You need to be done in 3 months. A job to get to? I dont find 20's too easy to come by in the far south (but very possible) and virtually impossible in NH and Maine. I'm just not In that kind of shape.
Good luck with that pace! I'd guess you are going to blow right by me.

Nope just hiking my own hike.

pahiker013
02-20-2012, 14:22
dont worry about it, i wish i had the opportunity to be able to do a thru hike......and worrying is typically a waste of your time

Six-Six
02-20-2012, 14:25
Whether my feet will give out on me - nerve/pain issues even before I start.

bgood360
02-20-2012, 14:43
1. Bears
2. Bears
3. Bears
4. Bear + other Bears

Sanhican
02-20-2012, 15:02
I'm afraid that I'll get out on the trail and lose the motivation for doing a complete thru, or having something come up where I have to get off the trail where the cause is within me. Not something like an injury, or ridiculous weather, or funding... but where I give up on myself. Right now, I don't see anything that leads me to think that this is going to happen, but then again... I'm not walking through a green tunnel for mile upon mile right now, either.

Get Zach "Badger" Davis's book Appalachian Trials. Read it before you go. It will help focus your motivation needs.

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 15:35
What? Me Worry?

Sarcasm the elf
02-20-2012, 16:10
1. Bears
2. Bears
3. Bears
4. Bear + other Bears

You'll get over your fear of them pretty quickly. When I think of black bears on the A.T., this is what I see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57VbE0J9niw

BFI
02-20-2012, 16:10
Sasquatch herpes.

Only if you dress like her !!

Tenderheart
02-20-2012, 16:19
I had a college professor that always said that if you worried about something, then it wouldn't give you any trouble. I guess what he meant was that you would be cautious and know what to do when it happened. A thru hike is quite an undertaking, but you will be among others that are just as apprehensive as you, if that helps. You'll be an old pro in no time.

Schemer
02-20-2012, 16:32
Sasquatch herpes.

I wasn't worried about this until now, thanks a lot juice.

bgood360
02-20-2012, 16:34
Re: the bear video:

Awesome. I have 4 cats and one dog. I should take one cat plus a back up cat, and leave two at home in case bears follow me back here. After that, it's completely up to the dog -- Chihuahua's have 'tude.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 17:03
Thanks for the recommendation. I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. I look forward to reading it.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 18:40
Running out of the herbs that are difficult to find.

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 18:45

hitching is really not a problem. You'll see, most rides will be offered by day hikers, trail angels, paddlers, and other out door folks. If you look like a hiker you'll have no probles. i've gotten rides all over and I look more like a vagrant than a back packer.

louisb
02-20-2012, 19:15
Running out of the herbs that are difficult to find.

America's favorite herb seems to be pretty common near most shelters.

--louis

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 19:22
I met two "backpackers" from Kentucky one year in Maine. I was a SOBO. They had a bag of weed the size of a pillowcase. I called them Cheech and Chong but I don't recall their names. There is a lot of weed on the trail, actually all trails. These guys were great fun, they made huge bonfires and some times camped on the trail instead of shelters if they found a lot of firewood. We're lucky Maine did't burn down that year. They also carried one of those half gallon jugs of Jack Daniels. I was lucky because they had a truck and gave me a ride to Skowhegan because I had a toothache. ( A good reason to get off the trail)

RWheeler
02-20-2012, 19:23
America's favorite herb seems to be pretty common near most shelters.

--louis

Coffee, right? :rolleyes:

Juice
02-20-2012, 20:06

Only if you dress like her !!

Huh? I'm talking about a female Satchmo, didn't you see my avatar dude?

Besides, everybody knows that you can catch a scorching case of Satchmo Herp's from the seats at shelter privys!

Carbo
02-20-2012, 20:14
I'm afraid of not starting the thru. I'll don't want to spend the rest of my life regreting that.

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 21:03
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Rapper-owl--33614.jpg Fellow hikers calling me moody... and they are right.....Hey Matty pass the Bacon.... goes great with Ol Southern Wiskey

kayak karl
02-20-2012, 21:04
Cold!!!!!!.

Derek81pci
02-20-2012, 22:07
The thing I am most afraid of is other people. I have always been anti-social. Me doing this hike is about myself and nature, for months on end. Pushing myself and developing my new limitations and then breaking them. It will take some time to get use to being around strangers and feeling comfortable with them, which I guess is not a bad thing. Being SOBO, there is a chance I might come home with my anti-social ways. I'm not a control freak, or rude... but don't be offended if I don't try to be part of your clique, it has never happened, and I'm beginning to think I may be set in my ways. Life is funny, we shall see. <3

Rayo
02-20-2012, 22:22
I most fear my hammer toes agitating me. My middle toes on each foot are hammered, bummer.

stumpnotch2011
02-20-2012, 22:24
tornados, like the one last april 2011 that started out in alabama and came thru north ga. mtns. i was hunkerd down in hawk mtn. shelter all the tenters and hammockers were joining us at 2am with the wind down trees and golfball size hail. by the way this was my first my on the a.t. this april ill again head north

Grampie
02-20-2012, 22:57
See the movie "Deliverence". Than you will have something to worry about.

Joshua Mac
02-20-2012, 22:58
Sasquatch herpes... hahahhahaha classic. But thanks for the posts. Good to know I'm not the only one worrying about something or another.

Kookork
02-21-2012, 00:19
1. Bears
2. Bears
3. Bears
4. Bear + other Bears

Hunters
Hikers
Anglers

I am trying to think like a bear.

Bazilnorthbound
02-21-2012, 00:44
Running out of $$ and my beard not growing out fully :P
all in all not that worried though. Go in with good vibes and things will be fine :)

moondoggie
02-21-2012, 03:44
resupply... I plan and plan again and i just can't stop worrying about it.

Resupply was my biggest worry, well, that and 20 other things. Resupply was one of the easiest things I did...but I did extensive planning

Tenderheart
02-22-2012, 11:42
tornados, like the one last april 2011 that started out in alabama and came thru north ga. mtns. i was hunkerd down in hawk mtn. shelter all the tenters and hammockers were joining us at 2am with the wind down trees and golfball size hail. by the way this was my first my on the a.t. this april ill again head north

I was at Blue Mountain and the hail was the size of tennis balls. When we reached US 75 into Helen, it was closed.

ATSeamstress
02-22-2012, 12:06
Good advice from TOMP. I have done very well on my long sections using the services of shuttlers, cabs, or hostel/motel owners who pick up. If your budget permits and you don't mind the extra planning you can do the trail without hitching. That said, I have hitched when I'm with others. Men have told me it's easier to get a ride if they have a woman hitch with them. If you're hiking during peak thru-hiker season you will no doubt meet others with your same concerns that you can go into town with.

bgood360
02-22-2012, 12:08
Hunters
Hikers
Anglers

I am trying to think like a bear.

Soooooo, I shouldn't wear this giant Snickers bar costume that my friends got me as a going away gift? You know, my first thought was, this doesn't look water-repellent, and then I thought "Hmmmmmm. It looks like it could be hot in summer." And, then I was thinking, "You know, screw it! Other than that -- this is PERFECT! What could go wrong?"

I love my friends. Always thinking of me.

1azarus
02-22-2012, 12:10
What? Me Worry?

thanks for that, bamboo bob. not sure everyone knows that particular lofty literary reference...

lkaluzi
02-23-2012, 18:56
Getting sick...mostly because I'm sick right now and the thought of hiking or moving in general seems impossible. I'm thinking about throwing more vitamin C packets into my maildrops.

wteason2
02-24-2012, 23:02
Mice Across my face or in my Sleepibg Bag while I sleep.

I've been there, I hardly slept all night.

I was in a bug net under a tarp during the solo period of my month long outward bound expedition. I didn't completely clean my bowl out the first night and woke up to a mouse licking the inside. I covered the bowl and went back to sleep. The mouse came by many many times through out the following day, and passed up my chances to kill it with a little dead-fall trap. That night I kept hearing something rustling around and scared it away every time. Later I started feeling something bump me. From that point on, the mouse made the inside of of my bug net its personal race track. I could get it out but I never managed to keep it out.

I didn't sleep much, but it didn't hurt anything.

Best of luck on your hike!

Kookork
02-25-2012, 00:13
The thing I am most afraid of is other people. I have always been anti-social. Me doing this hike is about myself and nature, for months on end. Pushing myself and developing my new limitations and then breaking them. It will take some time to get use to being around strangers and feeling comfortable with them, which I guess is not a bad thing. Being SOBO, there is a chance I might come home with my anti-social ways. I'm not a control freak, or rude... but don't be offended if I don't try to be part of your clique, it has never happened, and I'm beginning to think I may be set in my ways. Life is funny, we shall see. <3

I think you are not anti-social. It is a harsh word for you. Not social may be a better word but who am I to talk about other people's self judgment?

Kookork
02-25-2012, 00:19
Soooooo, I shouldn't wear this giant Snickers bar costume that my friends got me as a going away gift? You know, my first thought was, this doesn't look water-repellent, and then I thought "Hmmmmmm. It looks like it could be hot in summer." And, then I was thinking, "You know, screw it! Other than that -- this is PERFECT! What could go wrong?"

I love my friends. Always thinking of me.

Wear that giant bar snickers bar costume but ask the manufacturer to sponsor your hike ( If the bears let you finish your hike) or write on the costume this sentence:" I am a human " but in bear language please...:)...

kk1dot3
02-25-2012, 00:23
Severe weather. We had a really warm winter so I think we'll have a warmer summer meaning more severe storms. There's been a bunch of severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings recently throughout the southern Appalachian Mountains.

wteason2
02-25-2012, 18:25
Severe weather. We had a really warm winter so I think we'll have a warmer summer meaning more severe storms. There's been a bunch of severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings recently throughout the southern Appalachian Mountains.

Yeah, there's been nonstop wind and rain here for awhile now.

RunDMC
02-27-2012, 02:55
1. That my left knee may give out.
2. That all my planning may be insufficient in some way. (Remember the old adage about the best laid plans?)
3. That I am so socially inept that I may not make friends.
4. That the inward change I seek will evade me.
5. That the outward change I seek will evade me.
6. That I will be so slow in the beginning that I don't make it to Maine before the park closes for the year.
7. That people will be so put off by my physical appearance, that they won't bother to get to know me.
8. That my rain pants (and other equipment) won't arrive on time from Campmor before I have to leave for Georgia.
9. That Mt. Washington may kill me.... (I may trip and fall into a crevass, I'm so clumsy.)
10. That I'll be struck by lightning at some point.

Ferrousknight
02-28-2012, 03:54
Looking like an idiot and not making it to Katahdin. I have probably not obsessively planned to the same degree as others. I'm partly just going to roll with it. I'm not planning on mail drops, except for unforseen circumstances and cold weather gear. I am however, comfortable with the gear I have and the outdoors. I suspect that there will be some learning curve as I go.

Giardia would also be miserable. Nobody seems to agree on water purification and I don't know what to believe. I'm going to aquamira the crap out of my water and pray for the best.

Joshua Mac
02-28-2012, 06:36
Looking like an idiot and not making it to Katahdin. I have probably not obsessively planned to the same degree as others. I'm partly just going to roll with it. I'm not planning on mail drops, except for unforseen circumstances and cold weather gear. I am however, comfortable with the gear I have and the outdoors. I suspect that there will be some learning curve as I go.

Giardia would also be miserable. Nobody seems to agree on water purification and I don't know what to believe. I'm going to aquamira the crap out of my water and pray for the best.

Glad to hear that someone else will just being rolling with the punches. From what i've read, over planning can be a waste of time because one never knows what to expect until they are there. Not to say I've done no planning at all, I've done hours upon hours, but it still seems like others have done much more.

mdp9
02-28-2012, 10:02
1. injury!
2. Lyme's/Giardia/sickness
3. everything getting wet

Aquaman12
02-28-2012, 10:35
Looks like my wife and I are going to be making some new friends for sure!

MedicineWoman2012
02-28-2012, 10:42
Bgood...LOL! I USED to be very fearful until three different encounters that experienced with delight and fascination while viewing them feeding. I laid awake many nights on section hikes in the smokies listening to the leaves blowing thinking it was a bear approaching my tent without me being able to view it. I finally set up guy lines on each and every attachment point so I could hear or feel them passing nearby. Luckily these make shift booby traps let me know only when there was a huge racoon nearby or chipmunks...ha ha! It was not so entertaining to the bf. He was so tired of hearing ITS A BEAR! Its been 6 bear encouters now and I am alot less concerned after seeing how they are truly scared of us and only bother us if we are foolish in how we store our food or forget to hang out our bear bag. Needless to say I am very experienced at hanging my bag as a result of this fear that can be very useful. Using my fears to my advantage

MedicineWoman2012
02-28-2012, 10:48
Sickness is definately offset while on the trail..I can deal with myself being sick but I cant stand seeing my loved one sick on the trail without feeling the need to fix everything immediately as a medic thats my bag of tricks (having a jump bag helps). I will have the smallest supply of meds and emergency supplies to help but I know I will have to use common sense in figuring out how to rememedy without heroic efforts. I am currently sick and thinking just as you are about how difficult it will be to overcome this on the trail because this recover has required far more rest and less stress than the trail has to offer

Hairball
02-28-2012, 11:06
Pretty much everything rundmc said except for number 8.
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Sensei
02-29-2012, 04:45
Anyone wearing a Snickers costume on the AT probably has more to fear from the hordes of deranged, half-starved hikers than anything else.

bgood360
02-29-2012, 06:04
Bgood...LOL! I USED to be very fearful until three different encounters that experienced with delight and fascination while viewing them feeding. I laid awake many nights on section hikes in the smokies listening to the leaves blowing thinking it was a bear approaching my tent without me being able to view it. I finally set up guy lines on each and every attachment point so I could hear or feel them passing nearby. Luckily these make shift booby traps let me know only when there was a huge racoon nearby or chipmunks...ha ha! It was not so entertaining to the bf. He was so tired of hearing ITS A BEAR! Its been 6 bear encouters now and I am alot less concerned after seeing how they are truly scared of us and only bother us if we are foolish in how we store our food or forget to hang out our bear bag. Needless to say I am very experienced at hanging my bag as a result of this fear that can be very useful. Using my fears to my advantage

Thank you, Medicine Woman. I like the guy wire idea!

Actually, for whatever reason, I simply decided I wasn't going to be afraid of bears. The moment came when -- of all things -- I was driving back from the grocery store and contemplating the deliciousness of the smoke pouring from Little Richard's Barbecue (perhaps it's a top-of-the-food-chain thing) and a little switch in my head flipped. All of a sudden and from out of nowhere the ongoing bear monolog popped to the front of my mind but this time it was, "Screw it. I'm just not going to be afraid."

There wasn't any rationalizations (actual bear attacks are few and far between, for instance) or acquiescence ("Well, as long as I hang my food correctly and don't slather myself in beef gravy or brush my teeth with beef jerky, then I've done all I can do") -- the whole bear fear thing was simply done and I don't know why.

Sometimes there's no figuring the human brain.

bgood360
02-29-2012, 06:14
Anyone wearing a Snickers costume on the AT probably has more to fear from the hordes of deranged, half-starved hikers than anything else.

Yes, I have rethought the Snickers costume. Sure, it's breathable and brings out my hazel eyes in late afternoon sun, but being chased down the trail by hunger-ravaged hikers is going to cut into several photo opportunities. ("Man!!! What the heck? Again I just get that vista framed perfectly and Mohair, Cricket, and Smells Bad come from nowhere and try to rip me to shreds. Well, maybe I'll have better luck on Blood Mountain...")

SETX_Mason
02-29-2012, 18:45
I have a issue with in grown toe nails,... and needles and doctors... thus why i still havent gotten my toes cut up and fixed....
my very first 60 mile hike in 2006 my left toe swelled up,..... and my second extended hike my right toe attacked.... so i know i will have days where i will be limping and keeping infection out so they dont take me off the trail....

:) good times ahead

seasparrow
02-29-2012, 22:10
had my right toe nail removed .It wasn't supposed to come back .i pull it of myself every so often.

Nick&Bruce
02-29-2012, 23:31
Money.

I'm also concerned that my dog might not make it, but not too concerned. If he has to quit then we're both going home with however many days/miles behind us as we were able to pull off.

I figure even if everything goes south it'll still be an amazing experience.

Drybones
03-01-2012, 10:12
My only concern has been re-supply but after reading a lot of postings I'm not concerned with it any longer.

Zipper
03-03-2012, 14:35
This is what i wrote about my fears before my '09 hike: http://carlasat.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/things-to-be-afraid-of-and-what-im-doing-about-it/
Best wishes to all the hikers this season - have a great hike!

HiKen2011
03-03-2012, 16:08
This is what i wrote about my fears before my '09 hike: http://carlasat.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/things-to-be-afraid-of-and-what-im-doing-about-it/
Best wishes to all the hikers this season - have a great hike!

Very good advice!

Pages
03-03-2012, 16:35
i am concerned that my dream of a lifetime will become less satisfying then I always hoped it would be once the reality of day to day hiking sets in. i'm afraid of wanting to quit when there is nothing wrong with my health or finances.

takethisbread
03-03-2012, 16:44
Keeping the desire. After 1000 miles of a trail you have already hiked , the mind, struggles and family can pull u away. In that respect I'm afraid of boredom. And dealing with the drunks and partiers

SETX_Mason
03-04-2012, 00:16
had my right toe nail removed .It wasn't supposed to come back .i pull it of myself every so often.

just took my knife to them since i got 8 days left before i leave,..... when the flesh around the toe swells it puts pressure and make the toe cut into more skins as it grows,... so... i did the logical thing and cut a grove thru the flesh around the toe for the edge of the nail to follow.... little bloody and i might have to cut the channel deeper later on but i feel a little relief already so i think it was worth the pain,... caked it and smeared Antibiotic cream(prescription strength to help it heal in time before the hike) on and under the nail and new cut.....

It just needed a little Love :D

Mike2012
03-04-2012, 01:15
i am concerned that my dream of a lifetime will become less satisfying then I always hoped it would be once the reality of day to day hiking sets in. i'm afraid of wanting to quit when there is nothing wrong with my health or finances.

You'll find it very satisfying and you'll find new dreams and challenges as well.

Miner
03-04-2012, 02:06
I'm concerned that there will be too many stalkers on the trail.

When I hiked the PCT, I was constantly followed and stalked by all these strangers from the first day on. People I never met would come up and call me by name and talked to me like they knew me. They'd ask me about things that had happened to me earlier in my hike. How'd they even know about that stuff!? When I would think I would finally loose them, 400 miles later they'd suddenly appear and sit down at my table at a resturant while chatting away like we were lost lost friends. They'd even try to get me to stay in their hotel room, but my mama didn't raise no fools. It was really creepy. I particularly remember these 2 guys who looked like serial killers, with these really long unkept beards and a really bad stench, followed me into town to the post office. I could have sworn I saw their faces on the wanted posters on the wall there and the postal workers didn't even care. This kind of thing happened over and over again all along the trail. I even started to camp out of sight of the trail at night so they couldn't find me. And yet somehow people that I thougth I left behind as I tried to escape them, would suddenly be at water source ahead of me the following day. I never saw them pass me so it was really scary. The trail is full of these sort of stalkers who just follow you for days, weeks, and even months appearing when you least expect them to. They always act like they are friendly but you can see something in their eyes that is different from normal folk. Thru-hiking is scary stuff. :eek:

:D

Trailjockey
03-04-2012, 02:52
:danceWell Mr. Miner or can I call you Tim? I once had a somewhat similar expirence but in my case I was the stalker:jump

Bazilnorthbound
03-04-2012, 22:40
Well now as my start date draws nearer and nearer, Im starting to get worried about not packing enough!
Im a minimalist and I feel like I'll be going in "naked" compared to others.
But this is probably just some pre-hike paranoia setting in :P