PDA

View Full Version : Boooooring!

dmperkins74
02-20-2012, 08:31
Hey, what's the most boring stretch of the trail (by stretch, I mean like 10 to 20 miles, not so vague as "southern virginia")?

Just curious.

Spokes
02-20-2012, 08:36
For me it was between mile 975-965 NOBO.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-20-2012, 08:48
Hey, what's the most boring stretch of the trail (by stretch, I mean like 10 to 20 miles, not so vague as "southern virginia")?

Just curious.
There are dozens of boring 10-20 mile stretches. Most of the time it's more about your mindset than the sights.

Chaco Taco
02-20-2012, 08:58

Just curious.

After the PA crossing from MD. Those first 20 miles or so were pretty uneventful. There are loads of spots where you just find yourself off in la la land. Some people get "viewed out"

DavidNH
02-20-2012, 09:38
most boooring stretch of trail....

The states of Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Papa D
02-20-2012, 09:59
some areas are less scenic than others - I don't recall any particular spectacular scenery around Pine Grove Furnace State Park in PA for example but thinking of the trail as a "highlight reel" is sad to me - I hate to think that thru hikers would just want to disregard areas unless they are just overtly scenic - I prefer to take in the whole trail and find what is special about each step - as a thru hiker, it would seem that you don't need a rushing river or a 100 mile view from a mountaintop (as a tourist might) to appreciate the woodlands and the trail corredor as a complete whole - if you are observant and tuned-in, you can plug into something beautiful whereever you are - even if it is a gallon of ice cream.

Sailing_Faith
02-20-2012, 11:34
...... - if you are observant and tuned-in, you can plug into something beautiful whereever you are - even if it is a gallon of ice cream.

THAT is some good stuff right there.... yes it is.

http://fim.413chan.net/fic/src/132597704176-Clap.gif

Lone Wolf
02-20-2012, 11:38
front royal to harpers ferry

Megapixel
02-20-2012, 11:49
After the PA crossing from MD. Those first 20 miles or so were pretty uneventful. There are loads of spots where you just find yourself off in la la land. Some people get "viewed out"

couldn't agree more. that early PA section doesn't reward very much.

Tinker
02-20-2012, 11:55
In the northern part of the Trail I'd say the stretch between Rte. 4 (Inn at Long Trail, Vt.) and Hanover, NH. have been the most boring for me. PUD's with only one view, and that one's from a lookout on a cabin off the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2012, 12:02
Rt. 4 in vermont to glencliff, n.h.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2012, 12:05
It seems like the context of most responses is during a thruhike but the OP didn't specify this. From a non-thruhiker perspective, none of it's boring. Even low-elevation areas devoid of views are nice in the Spring and Fall for wildflowers and colorful foliage respectively. I've backpacked the AT between PenMar and Pine Grove Furnace twice - once in Fall, once in Spring - and enjoyed it both times.

And then there's winter: viewing the early morning dawn as the backdrop of leafless deciduous trees is beautiful, as is seeing said trees' silhouettes against the sky after sunset.

Tinker
02-20-2012, 12:24

You're right. There aren't many views between Hanover and Glencliff, either. Hanover's about the most interesting thing in this stretch.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2012, 12:26
You're right. There aren't many views between Hanover and Glencliff, either. Hanover's about the most interesting thing in this stretch.

yup. just west to east "filler" trail

Firefighter503
02-20-2012, 12:47
The NOBO stretch just south of No Business Shelter, south of Erwin, TN. Where all the trees are just laid over on the downhill side of the trail. That section went on FOREVER for me (I think it was less than 10 miles), and just seemed to follow 'fingers' of the mountain if you will. Nice easy walk though, maybe that's why I found it so boring..

10-K
02-20-2012, 14:41
The NOBO stretch just south of No Business Shelter, south of Erwin, TN. Where all the trees are just laid over on the downhill side of the trail. That section went on FOREVER for me (I think it was less than 10 miles), and just seemed to follow 'fingers' of the mountain if you will. Nice easy walk though, maybe that's why I found it so boring..

I couldn't help but laugh at this - I bet I've hiked that 10 mile section between Erwin and Spivey's Gap at *least* 10 times over the last year and a half.

It's great to trail run on because it's such an easy hike but it's a true snoozer when it comes to views. The trail just wraps around the mountain over and over and every turn has a little seep you have to step over. It's like Groundhog Day.

There is another way down to the river from NBK Shelter though... Going north, when you get about 100-150 yards away from the shelter the trail makes a hard 90* turn to the left. You can't miss it.

Instead of making the turn to the left, keep walking straight through the small stand of trees and as soon as you break through you'll see a trail. Stay on that trail about .25 miles and it'll dead end into a dirt road. You can walk that road all the way down the mountain to pavement and walk another mile and there you are at Uncle Johnny's. It's within a half mile of being the same distance from the shelter as the AT so timewise it's about the same but the views are a LOT better on the road.

Carl Calson
02-20-2012, 15:07
HEY! pine grove furnace is my neck of the woods and i WILL NOT TOLERATE any cross words about it!

actually, it is pretty boring, but if you're able to get off trail in that area, there are alot of sweet trails to do. you would have to travel 5 miles or so but there is alot of history in the area. there's an old POW camp, an amazing hike we call 'tumbling run' with excellent views of the valley and lots of scrambling to do, as well as laurel and fuller lakes with a decent hike called 'pole steeple'. if you can figure out a way to get there you wouldn't regret it.

but yeah, the AT portion from the maryland line to pine grove furnace is whatever, but i've hiked it before and enjoyed it.

Carl Calson
02-20-2012, 15:08
if anyone wants info on how to get to these areas, PM me and i'll try to explain it. do it before the 25th though cuz that's when we start our thru

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 15:32
Non of the AT is boring. Only those who can't wait to go to town and don't notice anything for the day hiking to town. It's all good, and the towns are good too, just don't think about towns until you get there. You know , ignore that elephant.

Emily Harper
02-20-2012, 16:18
Vermont. Pretty much the whole thing. Green tunnel all the way.

Marlow
02-20-2012, 16:21

Best part of that stretch will be hopping of the trail for some good home cooking at my wife's parents house.

Wizard 2009
02-20-2012, 16:28
I'll toast to the Pennsylvania section of trail. I actually put my pack down and rested because I was bored of walking in green tunnel

Being an avid History Buff i found all the civil war related sites in Maryland pretty fascinating, especially all the Battle of South Mountain sites. it took me over four days to cover those 40 miles.

WingedMonkey
02-20-2012, 16:47
What's boring on a thru hike, when you think you have seen something better, or because you are there in the season your schedule forces you into might not be so boring on a "section" hike.
I've gone back to parts of the trail in a different season or a different pace (when I have the option to explore the woods) and it really is a whole different experience.

I think the only boring parts for me now are when I have to walk through a developed area, when I can see a lot of sprawl, and even that is interesting to look in peoples back yards ( or sometime driveways) and wonder if they have any idea of what is out there.

Blissful
02-20-2012, 16:53
After the PA crossing from MD. Those first 20 miles or so were pretty uneventful.

Not for me, a lady walking her dog gave us candy there. :)

Blissful
02-20-2012, 16:54
I was never bored hiking. No way, no how.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2012, 16:54

Breaks from the green tunnel: fire towers on Glastonbury and Stratton mountains, Stratton pond, Little Rock pond, Griffith Lake, views from White Rocks and airport lookout.

Or hike VT in the Fall for a multi-colored tunnel.

SawnieRobertson
02-20-2012, 17:10

Just curious.

Are you kidding me? There are no"boring" stretches of the trail. Any time you are out there, if you get the idea that you are bored, look within. It's just your thoughts that could be thus classified. Well, I know that does not apply to everyone, but it certainly is my perception of the fascinating "green tunnel."--Kinnickinic

Furlough
02-20-2012, 17:42
The drive home.

weary
02-20-2012, 18:18
Yep. Like all green tunnels. Nothing to see but pretty wild flowers, interesting trees, nesting birds, occasional glimpses of wild creatures doing their thing, a natural, evolving forest and all the life that calls that forest home.

None of the trail is boring for those with the ability to see, think, and observe.

TOMP
02-20-2012, 18:21
I have a little story that might help you during your boring stretch where ever that may be. I was doing a practice hike today with a fully loaded 35lbs pack today around my neighborhood for about 6 miles; I live in in the suburbs. So yeah sounds super dull and boring right? But I brought my dog with me and I was training her to leave slack in the leash. So this activity kept me occupied and before I knew I left I was back at home. No, I am not saying everyone should train a puppy on thier thru-hike, but as long as your mind is active you wont be bored. I find that I do some of my best thinking and pondering during uneventful stretchs of trail. It is actually one of the reasons I love hiking in the first place. Just as you might not be able to see the forest through the trees you might miss out on a great experience because you are focusing to much on your expectations of a great view or vista.

Jim Adams
02-20-2012, 18:45
The only thing that I found not boring in Maryland was the Dog Patch Saloon.

Cumberland Valley in Pa. was BORING on my 1990 hike but due to trail relos much better in 2002.

geek

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 18:48

I love the green tunnel and I especially love Vermont which is why I spend most of my time here.

dmperkins74
02-20-2012, 19:05
Yeah, I was definitely coming from the small section hiker POV. I haven't even done 25% yet (http://www.gdbdp.com/at), so was just thinking about what's ahead and what areas might be less than awesome. Obviously thru hikers may have different ideas about what's boring on the trail. I generally find I don't get bored very easily when hiking, but was just curious about what other folks have found. I can say that PA has had some great experiences, but there've been a couple of less than amazing stretches. But it's all wonderful compared to so much of other parts of our lives, right?

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 20:44
most boooring stretch of trail....

The states of Pennsylvania and Maryland.

wow I thought I was moody.... You win.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2012, 22:33
.... But it's all wonderful compared to so much of other parts of our lives, right?

....Right!:)

tdoczi
02-20-2012, 22:51
my vote still goes to MA- jug end road north to cheshire. nothing there, i mean NOTHING. well, upper goose pond, but even still, jug end to upper goose pond and then upper goose pond to cheshire, two very long very unremarkable stretches.

southern PA i hiked when the mountain laurel was in full blossom. i can see it being pretty boring at other times, though theres some interesting things just (a couple of them literally JUST) off the trail as some have mentioned. i didnt go to polesteeple but its close to the trail, also a place on the south side of pine grove furnace and another nice spot just a little ways north of the PA border (forget the names of these). If we're talking boring parts of PA i think port clinton south to rt 501 or north of lehigh gap are worse