PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite?

SCGamecock
02-20-2012, 12:21
What is your favorite 'I don't want to miss this view' along the AT?
What is the one activity that you don't want to miss along the AT? ie. Half Gallon Challenge
What is your favorite hostel along the AT?
What is your favorite state to hike in along the AT?
What is the best shelter along the AT?

Tinker
02-20-2012, 12:48
The White Mountains seem to be just about everybody's favorite place when it comes to views.

The one activity that I never pass up a chance to do is swimming. It's much easier to find in the New England states (Vt. and Maine, especially) than farther south because of the greater frequency of lakes (and unpolluted rivers at higher elevations) along the trail.

I can't answer the Hostel thing, really, the only (official) one I have stayed at is the Blueberry Patch in Georgia outside of Hiawassee. The owners, Gary and Lennie, made it special :).

Favorite state is Maine. Next comes New Hampshire, Vermont, Georgia, and Pa. in that order. I haven't hiked much down south except for my Georgia section hike and a bit of Shenandoah Nat. Park -nice views there.

I don't generally stay at shelters, but I did camp near Pierce Pond shelter in Maine. The shelter isn't anything special, but the beauty of the place and the shelter's location, a few yards from a great pond for swimming, can't be beat if swimming is your thing.

garlic08
02-20-2012, 16:42
Lying on the ground looking at a pink lady's slipper or trillium.

Swimming, for sure.

Not a single hostel or shelter makes my list, sorry. I could not sleep well in any of the few I stayed in.

My favorite state, surprisingly, was New York. First reason, the food (no surprise there). Second reason, surprisingly nice trail. Third, surprisingly friendly people and trail magic.

Furlough
02-20-2012, 17:58
What is your favorite 'I don't want to miss this view' along the AT?
What is the one activity that you don't want to miss along the AT?
What is your favorite hostel along the AT?
What is your favorite state to hike in along the AT?
What is the best shelter along the AT?

view' along the AT - Sunset View from Hightop Mtn in SNP
activity that you don't want to miss along the AT? SNP Wayside and Lodge food and coffee stops
favorite hostel - Bears Den Hostel and the Tea Horse Hostel in Harpers Ferry
favorite state to hike in along the AT? Virginia
best shelter along the AT? Don't know about the best shelter, as I generally sleep in my tent. But I like the locale of Pass Mtn Shelter and the Spring and PATC Cabin at Rock Spring Hut

Smooth & Wasabi
02-20-2012, 18:19
Gotta love Maine.

bamboo bob
02-20-2012, 19:03
Tinkers Ridge in the early morning when the mist rises.
Hiking when my wife joins me, and encouraging her to join me.
The Cabin in Maine but I don't think it's open anymore
Maine for sure
Spruce Peak in Vermont, stove - spring - porch, but it's underutilized because people like to skip it and go into town.