PDA

View Full Version : Base Weight

wbjdmd
02-20-2012, 15:14
Sorry to be a dummy, when posters are referring to base weight, what does this include and what does this exclude?

jakedatc
02-20-2012, 15:41
includes everything you carry
minus
food, water, fuel, worn stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2012, 15:44
Generally, everything carried except food and water and the clothes and stuff you would usually be hiking in. You will also see a "skin out weight", which is everything carried plus worn, except food and water. You will also see "big four" weight talked about - pack, shelter, sleeping bag, and pad.

Juice
02-20-2012, 15:46
Base weight refers to pack weight without food or water or the minimum clothing worn. ie, I'll include underwear and shorts as clothing worn but I'll include the weight of my R1 bottoms in my base weight as I won't always be wearing them all the time.

Juice
02-20-2012, 15:48
Base weight refers to pack weight without food or water or the minimum clothing worn. ie, I'll include underwear and shorts as clothing worn but I'll include the weight of my R1 bottoms in my base weight as I won't always be wearing them all the time.

I don't think I phrased the part about clothing correctly. I include the weight of clothing except for the minimum amount of clothing I will be wearing.

garlic08
02-20-2012, 16:27
The only thing I'll add the to accurate definitions above is that there seems to be a weird geographic divide in the use of the term. On Western trails like the PCT and CDT, most hikers refer to their "base weight". On the AT, however, most refer to a "full load of food and water" and look puzzled when a Western hiker like me uses base weight.

wbjdmd
02-20-2012, 17:27
Thanks for the clarification!

QiWiz
02-20-2012, 17:44
Usually refers to what you are carrying, not include clothes worn on the trail, food, or water.

lush242000
02-20-2012, 18:03
I would say base weight is the total weight of the stuff you always carry. Food and water change daily.