PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag comparison with pictures.

tuswm
02-20-2012, 18:42
The 3 sleeping bags pictured here are the
REI sub kilo (orange)
$239 (msrp)
20*
750 fill
29 oz
72"x57"

Marmot Never Summer (orange)
$309(msrp)
0*
650 fill (new model 600)
62 oz
72"x62"

Marmot helium (blue)
$399 (msrp)
15*
850 fill
34 oz
72"x62"

Here is a picture trying to show how much wider Marmot bags are then REI bags. I alighned the right toes of the two bags. you can see the marmot is much wider and slightly longer. Most other bags are inbetween such as kelty, mountain hardware, and Lafuma.

Here are some pictures showing the difference in stuff sack sizes. Starting from left to right is a Mountain Hardware womens switch synthetic 20*, Marmot women's angelfire 15* long, Kelty lite year down, Marmot Helium, and REI Sub Kilo. The REI sub kilo did come with a compression sack but I cut off the straps. Its did compress to about half that size. The Marmot never summer 0* stuff sack is only slightly larger than a Marmot angel fire 15*.

Here are two pictures that show the difference in loft.

Subjective observationsREI Sub Kilo
My body shape 5'8", 185 lbs, 32" waist, swimmer shoulders. Now that I have been working out again I am to the point where I can not zip the RE bag around my shoulders wearing anything, even a thin fleece. Its the 4 oz lighter than the helium but it packs down to about half the size. Even being a warm sleeper I am miserable in this sleeping bag anything below 32*. No room to move or layer up when zipped up. Shell absorbs water like a paper towel.

Marmot Never summer
In a tent with a Good pad I have been hot at 15*. At 30 degrees in a drafty shelter you can unzip it. Had it down to about 5* in a car. The thickest more durable feeling of the fabric of any bags I have. I also have a cool little Velcro pocket down by the feet to put chemical hand warmers. So much room inside to move around or layer up.

Marmot Helium
It has no draft collar. It is much lighter then it looks. Its the hardest of the down bags to get in to its stuff sack. I wish they made it in a right hand zip. Not because I like right or left but because all my bags are right and all my GF bags are left so we can zip together. I guess when I take this bag there will be no mating of sleeping bags. But a cool feature of this bag is a super stiff material that appears to be welded to the zipper. Its by far the best zipper of any sleeping bag or coat I have ever seen.

tuswm
02-20-2012, 18:50
I dont know why that did work lets try again............
The 3 sleeping bags pictured here are the REI sub kilo (orange)$239 (msrp)20*750 fill29 oz72"x57"Marmot Never Summer (orange)$309(msrp)0*650 fill (new model 600)62 oz72"x62"Marmot helium (blue)$399 (msrp)15*850 fill34 oz 72"x62"Here is a picture trying to show how much wider Marmot bags are then REI bags. I alighned the right toes of the two bags. you can see the marmot is much wider and slightly longer. Most other bags are inbetween such as kelty, mountain hardware, and Lafuma. 1525415255Here are some pictures showing the difference in stuff sack sizes. Starting from left to right is a Mountain Hardware womens switch synthetic 20*, Marmot women's angelfire 15* long, Kelty lite year down, Marmot Helium, and REI Sub Kilo. The REI sub kilo did come with a compression sack but I cut off the straps. Its did compress to about half that size. The Marmot never summer 0* stuff sack is only slightly larger than a Marmot angel fire 15*. 15252Here are two pictures that show the difference in loft. 1525115253Subjective observationsREI Sub KiloMy body shape 5'8", 185 lbs, 32" waist, swimmer shoulders. Now that I have been working out again I am to the point where I can not zip the RE bag around my shoulders wearing anything, even a thin fleece. Its the 4 oz lighter than the helium but it packs down to about half the size. Even being a warm sleeper I am miserable in this sleeping bag anything below 32*. No room to move or layer up when zipped up. Shell absorbs water like a paper towel. Marmot Never summerIn a tent with a Good pad I have been hot at 15*. At 30 degrees in a drafty shelter you can unzip it. Had it down to about 5* in a car. The thickest more durable feeling of the fabric of any bags I have. I also have a cool little Velcro pocket down by the feet to put chemical hand warmers. So much room inside to move around or layer up. Marmot HeliumIt has no draft collar. It is much lighter then it looks. Its the hardest of the down bags to get in to its stuff sack. I wish they made it in a right hand zip. Not because I like right or left but because all my bags are right and all my GF bags are left so we can zip together. I guess when I take this bag there will be no mating of sleeping bags. But a cool feature of this bag is a super stiff material that appears to be welded to the zipper. Its by far the best zipper of any sleeping bag or coat I have ever seen.

tuswm
02-27-2012, 13:27
I spent a windy night in a shelter. Inside temp of the shelter dropped to 21*. I spent the night in my Marmot Helium. My Pad was a Thermarest neoair Xlite. I was wearing wool socks, fleece long johns, under layer long sleeve top and a beeny. I was a little chilly but far from cold for being 4* from the UN lower limit of the bag. I am sure in a tent that wasnt nearly as drafty as the shelter I would have slept much warmer.