PDA

View Full Version : 100%? Diabled? Hike FOR FREE in 2000+ National Parks.

Badspeller
02-20-2012, 19:03
A free, lifetime pass - available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability - that provides access to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by five Federal agencies.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

Juice
02-20-2012, 20:33
You weren't kidding.

skinewmexico
02-21-2012, 12:57
One of the rangers at Fort Davis NM just walked up and gave my daughter one when we were there years ago. Pretty handy.

strollingalong
02-21-2012, 15:17
100% disabled...hike for free ???

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 15:38
The give you a Lifetime pass for free if you're over 62 anyway and it includes your entire "party" I think they mean a carload. I got one driving cross country and we went to every park we could find. Arches, etc. Saved a bundle. Saved fees I would not have gone to some just for a quick in and out. a lot of beautiful place in the USA.

jbwood5
02-21-2012, 16:12
The give you a Lifetime pass for free if you're over 62 anyway and it includes your entire "party" I think they mean a carload. I got one driving cross country and we went to every park we could find. Arches, etc. Saved a bundle. Saved fees I would not have gone to some just for a quick in and out. a lot of beautiful place in the USA.

It's now $10 for the senior pass and that is if you pick it up at one of the designated locations (Any National Park, except GSMNP, and most National Monuments). If you want it mailed to you it costs another $10. If you loose it, you have to buy another.

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 16:29
It's now $10 for the senior pass and that is if you pick it up at one of the designated locations (Any National Park, except GSMNP, and most National Monuments). If you want it mailed to you it costs another $10. If you loose it, you have to buy another.

You know, my wife reminds me that I did pay $10 for the "geezer" , senior moment. I figure they think I wont get much use out of it at my advanced age and capabilities.

jbwood5
02-21-2012, 17:18
You know, my wife reminds me that I did pay $10 for the "geezer" , senior moment. I figure they think I wont get much use out of it at my advanced age and capabilities.

Now Now.... 62 is the new 45 .... (so they say). The trick is to keep moving and hope nothing gets you along the way. A few years back I hiked a few hours with 81 year old Earl "Bones". The guy could outwalk me in the flats and I could only outpace him on the uphills. Actually, through the years I was inspired many of these older fellas (and now I'm one too). The most inspiring memory I had was a conversation with a 71 year old thru hiker named "Shake". We were discussing trail running and hiking and I told him about these crazy group of runners that were going to do the annual 100 mile endurance run in Vermont. I told him that a 100 mile run was totally insane ...and he paused a minute, looked me in the eye and said that he had done that run before and that I would have no problem finishing it with all the backpacking and running I do. I didn't know what to say, but found myself entered in that race later in July 2000. I finished it in 22-1/2 hours and totally shocked myself (and my body too:) ). If nothing gets me down, I want to be hiking well into my 70s and 80s too... and I will be using the heck out of that senior pass (if they don't cut it off). Florida has now raised the age to 65 for their State Park senior pass and camping discount.