PDA

View Full Version : Great unknown campsite

Moxie00
03-22-2005, 09:55
On my birthday, June 30th, 2000, I was on my Ga>Me thru hike. Fellow thru hikers, Burley and Knarley were supposed to meet me for dinner at Big Meadows in Shenandoah National Park. Somehow they went to the wrong place and we didn't connect. I waited too long for them :sun and with darkness coming I didn't have time to make the next shelter. I started north and it was getting dark as I hiked along Franklin Cliffs. I saw a tiny opening in the woods to my right and it was definitely the mother of all campsites. It was flat, grassy half way down a cliff and beautiful. I set my tent up and enjoyed a beautiful sunset as I sat on the edge of the cliff. I saw no sign that any other person had e.ver camped there. After it got dark I could hear voices of people in the parking lot 150 feet or so above me taking in the spectular view. The whole Shenandoah valley lay below me and the sunrise was as beautiful as the sunset. There is no water or no privy but as I remember it is less that 2 miles past Big Meadow so carrying enough water for you overnight needs is no problem. If you use this beauty leave it as you found it, I thought it was one of the great undiscovered gems on the AT.

Jester2000
03-22-2005, 16:33
Moxie! That was the least funny thing I've ever read from you! Good to see you're still about, though. Hope life is the way it should be up with you.