PDA

View Full Version : No phone at Neel Gap

JustADude
02-21-2012, 10:55
Just a note: no phone at Neel Gap

Luckily a thru hiker from Iowa let us borrow his to get the shuttle back to Woody Gap.
Mine died and the my hiking buddy's couldn't get reception (T-Mobile).
Folks at the store at Neel Gap indicated theirs was repossessed and then weren't much help (zero).

Hope this helps other folks.

P.S. Also not a lot of food options at Neel.

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 11:06
? What happened to the food at Neels Gap?

Hooch
02-21-2012, 11:09
? What happened to the food at Neels Gap?Baltimore Jack is there. (Just kidding, Jack):D

Lone Wolf
02-21-2012, 11:11
? What happened to the food at Neels Gap?

it's there. it's just expensive and limited

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 11:18
it's there. it's just expensive and limited

Good, minimart prices but convenient. I'll just need a few snacks.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2012, 12:34
1. There's no public phone at Neel Gap but in special situations folks can use the store phone or can ask an employee
for help, assuming that person has a cell phone.....some of us prefer to go without.
2. The food selection here is just fine, and is improving all the time.
3. Food prices are perfectly reasonable, considering our isolated location, and that it takes several hours and lots of
time and gas to send an employee out on a shopping run.
4. We always welcome suggestions on how to improve our food options, tho space is limited, and most folks are on a
tight budget, which obviously limits specialty items. We need to concentrate on what people want to buy.
5. We happily accept mail parcels for those who want to send their own food from home.
6. Lastly, those wishing to shop at a real supermarket can arrange for a town shuttle.

JustADude
02-21-2012, 17:43
1. There's no public phone at Neel Gap but in special situations folks can use the store phone or can ask an employee for help, assuming that person has a cell phone.....some of us prefer to go without.

I only spoke with one employee yesterday about my phone issues...guess I picked the one without the phone (ha!) and it was a MON...cie la vie...it all worked out...

I still love the ghetto gangsta tree...that is sweet and amazing how many folks don't notice...and the wind chimes made for a peaceful wait for the shuttle...less of course the crotch rocket folks aiming for the driving awards...

RE: food I guess I was hoping/imagining/dreaming/praying for a juicy hamburger and milk shake...ended up sticking with the pack food: jerky and larabar bars and then holding out for OutBack in Chattanooga...

Spokes
02-21-2012, 17:50
That's why your first food drop should be at Neels Gap. Helps you ease into your thru.

Sierra Echo
02-21-2012, 18:01
Their pay phone got repossessed!!!

jbwood5
02-21-2012, 18:04
1. There's no public phone at Neel Gap but in special situations folks can use the store phone or can ask an employee
for help, assuming that person has a cell phone.....some of us prefer to go without.
2. The food selection here is just fine, and is improving all the time.
3. Food prices are perfectly reasonable, considering our isolated location, and that it takes several hours and lots of
time and gas to send an employee out on a shopping run.
4. We always welcome suggestions on how to improve our food options, tho space is limited, and most folks are on a
tight budget, which obviously limits specialty items. We need to concentrate on what people want to buy.
5. We happily accept mail parcels for those who want to send their own food from home.
6. Lastly, those wishing to shop at a real supermarket can arrange for a town shuttle.

After a long day of hiking, the microwave burrito is more than you would expect and was awesome. The food does go fast there. I came in there one time and the only thing left was a hot dog and a soda pop. The hostel was totally full. Still glad to get the hot dog though.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2012, 23:07
Lots of folks would love to see a grill or cafe here, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. (Old building, owned by the State, very tough to get improvements made in such tight economic times). In the meantime we take suggestions from folks and are always trying to improve our food options, tho as mentioned previously, we're limited by space, storage, available cooking facilities, etc. On the whole tho, I think most folks leave here happy, and Winton and his staff, many of whom have been here for years, really try to pull out the stops for hiker visitors. Sure hope Just a Dude has a better time and visit next time around and if I can find him a milkshake and burger, it's on me!

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2012, 21:58
Major shopping expedition today.....we now have such things as instant hummos, couscous, olive oil by the ounce, V-8 and other fruit juices, pistachio nuts, 10 diffferent kinds of bagged dried fruit, Red Bull, Emergen-C vitamin packets, and all sorts of other fun stuff. Oh, and White Castle Burgers for normal people! In short, we're always trying to add new stuff, hope to see many of you here this spring.

Firefighter503
02-25-2012, 16:51
Awesome to hear Jack. Glad to see a company hear feedback, and attempt to please the customer. Of course, you cant please everyone. Ha.

Spokes
02-25-2012, 17:32
Major shopping expedition today.....we now have such things as instant hummos, couscous, olive oil by the ounce, V-8 and other fruit juices, pistachio nuts, 10 diffferent kinds of bagged dried fruit, Red Bull, Emergen-C vitamin packets, and all sorts of other fun stuff. Oh, and White Castle Burgers for normal people! In short, we're always trying to add new stuff, hope to see many of you here this spring.

Have ya'll set up an Iron Chef stadium down there yet? I want to see you go up against Pirate in a pot luck stew competition. ;-D

ekeverette
02-25-2012, 20:34
just got through reading winton's book.... it was really good. i'll be coming thru there around 4/7/12. really looking forward to meeting some of the characters. it appears the folks at neels gap are very accommodating.

Blissful
02-25-2012, 21:08
No problem sending a drop there too if you need to, I think they do it for $5 which is worth it, imo.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2012, 22:12
No problem sending a drop there too if you need to, I think they do it for $5 which is worth it, imo.

5 bucks? most hikers spend 10 times that there. holding packages should be free

BlakeGrice
02-26-2012, 00:05
Would be a decent idea to have a burger joint there- but understandable why its not