PDA

View Full Version : New Mail Drop Location - Trents Grocery

Blissful
02-21-2012, 14:57
This is great news for resupply in this location if you need a drop.

(from fellow hiker Chase)
Trents Grocery VA. 606, would like to add that they now have an ATM machine and that they will now accept packages mailed to:

Trent's Grocery
900 Wilderness Road
Bland, VA 24315

Lone Wolf
02-21-2012, 15:01
no real need to do a drop there. pearisburg is only 24 miles away

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 15:41
I slept in back of the store there ten years ago. They had a shower that I think they used as a cow wash normally. It snowed on us at the beginning of June. But plenty of junk food and fishing stuff ten years ago.

SawnieRobertson
02-21-2012, 15:42
That is, indeed, great news. Thanks, Blissful.--Kinnickinic

swjohnsey
02-21-2012, 18:45
I slept in back of the store there ten years ago. They had a shower that I think they used as a cow wash normally. It snowed on us at the beginning of June. But plenty of junk food and fishing stuff ten years ago.

Yeah, the shower is nasty (well, no nastier than me) but the water is hot and there is a working washer and dryer. You can get a buffalo burger at the store.

kolokolo
02-21-2012, 18:55
I stopped at Trent's for a burger last summer. It was great.

I know that some people had camped out in back. I'm sure the maildrop and atm will come in handy.

Terry7
02-21-2012, 19:56
Trents is one of my favorite stops, you get a hot shower and do laundry for around 3 dollars. They cook hamburgers and stuff in the store. I have heard some hikers complain that it was dirty, well its a hunting camp, not a 4 star hotel. If you think Trents shower and laundry is too dirty then you have not been on the trail long enough.

Rasty
02-21-2012, 20:07
Does the water come out dirty? If not then wear shoes and enjoy! Even the four star hotels are dirty. You can't see the germs and other stuff.

Trents is one of my favorite stops, you get a hot shower and do laundry for around 3 dollars. They cook hamburgers and stuff in the store. I have heard some hikers complain that it was dirty, well its a hunting camp, not a 4 star hotel. If you think Trents shower and laundry is too dirty then you have not been on the trail long enough.

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 20:51
look, man I'm really glad they have burgers, i don't remember that. And they did not have laundry then. if It was really a hunting camp I'm surprised because every hunter I've met is a lot cleaner than I am. The place was fine and for the price It was still a cow or pig wash. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Blissful
02-21-2012, 22:24
no real need to do a drop there. pearisburg is only 24 miles away

It is if you need it for meds, etc. and don't want to spend your time running around on foot in Pearisburg. Trent's is right down the road and back.

swjohnsey
02-22-2012, 17:40
It is if you need it for meds, etc. and don't want to spend your time running around on foot in Pearisburg. Trent's is right down the road and back.

Yeah, everthing in Pearisburg is FAR away.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2012, 18:17
nothings too far away on a long distance hiking trip :-)
early on in a hike everythings too far, later on you will do what you need to do,like hiking down and back to greenleaf hut, cause you heard they have day old bread and stale lemonade :-)
trents is a good stop though

Rain Man
02-22-2012, 18:24
I stopped at Trent's for a burger last summer. It was great.

Trents is one of my favorite stops, ... They cook hamburgers and stuff in the store.

look, man I'm really glad they have burgers....

nothings too far away on a long distance hiking trip :-)

We stopped there on a section hike last year. It's not a fancy store, no, but they have pizzas and make home-made cheeseburgers with real tomatoes and onions. YUMM!!! Maybe it was just the right time of day for me, but that stop really hit the spot on a 20-mile day and kept me going.

It is a pleasant half-mile road walk. If I'm ever back that way on another hike, it'll be on my "don't miss" list.

Rain:sunMan

Razor
02-22-2012, 19:42
And no one has mentioned that as small stores go, it is a good re-supply. Yes you will pay more ,but less than the cost of food plus the postage of a drop there. They are good people that I will support anytime I am near there.

ATSeamstress
02-22-2012, 21:51
I camped at Trent's last year. Had the place all to myself except for some roosters and cows. Had a killer bacon Swiss burger. Hot shower and laundry for $6. After three days of rain it was a very nice stop. I stopped in Pearisburg also, as planned. I enjoyed my stay there, but it is very spread out. Options are good.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2012, 23:01
whats not to like, its close to the trail(flat .5 mile or less)watch for big logging trucks, i believe theres a big logging outfit across the hwy(used to be). it had a great grill, shower and good enough resupply to get you to pearisburg VA. and no one mentioned the airconditioning inside,used to be able to sit inside and suck up the air. i've been thru that section 4 times, always camped different places but always stopped at Trents grocery! dismall creek falls just a short distance after you leave trents. good tentsites,swimming. hit or miss with the local party scene :-)

peakbagger
02-23-2012, 09:32
While section the stretch from Trents to Pearisburg year ago we hcad a chance to drive on many of the back roads up on the ridge that run near the trail. The volume of beer cans and bottles strewn along the roads and mounded up at turnoffs was the worse I saw on the ATR over the years I was sectioning. One day after a car shuttle we ended up at the last shelter south of Pearisburg. Its connected to the road system via an old fire road. We filled up 8 full size trash bags full of beer cans and bottles in that one spot. Unlike dumps in Tennesee, there was very little trash it was all beer containers.

Toolumpy
02-24-2012, 21:43
Any idea on the store hours? Woops checked my map book and says in there 7-7.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2012, 21:52
Another reason to visit Trent's is that it's a great place to pick up treats if you're planning to camp at nearby Dismal Falls, one of the best places to camp and swim on the whole Trail.

turtle fast
02-25-2012, 14:40
Trents is not fancy, but a baloney biscuit and a mountain dew with laundry and a hot shower is great. Yes a logging mill is across the street. Behind the store by the creek and pasture with horses is the cinder block building with laundry, bathroom, and shower. Tenting is among the travel trailers there.