PDA

View Full Version : First taste of the Appalachian Trail

stang66302
02-21-2012, 17:04
This summer a few friends and I are planning on taking a week to hike a section of the trail. This will be all of our first time on the trail and I'm looking for some suggestions for a good starting point. We are all from Delaware so a section in Pennsylvania or Maryland would probably be best. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can start planning the trip soon. Thanks in advance!

Spokes
02-21-2012, 17:14
Can't go wrong anywhere in the Grayson Highlands area.

Read up about all the major areas of the trail here in this 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine (ignore the popup):

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Cheers!

Don H
02-21-2012, 17:17
If you want someplace close head over to Boiling Springs, PA and head south into MD. Easy hiking, good for a first time hiker.

Cookerhiker
02-21-2012, 18:52
This summer a few friends and I are planning on taking a week to hike a section of the trail. This will be all of our first time on the trail and I'm looking for some suggestions for a good starting point. We are all from Delaware so a section in Pennsylvania or Maryland would probably be best. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can start planning the trip soon. Thanks in advance!

How much flexibility do you have, i.e. when say "summer," do you mean July or early August? Those are not ideal times to hike the AT in the mid-Atlantic because of heat & humidity. Weather would be cooler in September. If you're locked into the traditional summer months, aim for hiking Harpers Ferry northward in early June when the mountain laurel are blooming.

Firefighter503
02-21-2012, 21:29
For first timers out for a week, I think the best option would be to hike SOBO from PA/MD state line, and end your hike in Harpers Ferry, where you can visit the ATC and learn some of the history of the trail, etc. and if you have never been to Harpers Ferry, its just a cool place to visit.

Firefighter503
02-21-2012, 21:32
I should add - that is about a 60 mile trip over a week, or 8.5 mpd average. Perfectly doable if you are in any kind of shape, especially for MD's terrain. Also, the end of your hike will be a nice couple of miles down hill, and then on the C&O into town.

stang66302
02-21-2012, 22:13
We're looking at early to mid June. The hike to harpers ferry sounds like it would be really cool. I'd eventually wanna do a thru hike so hitting the ATC would be really interesting.

Blissful
02-21-2012, 22:27
If you want someplace close head over to Boiling Springs, PA and head south into MD. Easy hiking, good for a first time hiker.

This is a good option. Go all the way to Harper's Ferry and say hello at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy - great for first timers

bigcranky
02-21-2012, 22:29
Early to mid June would be nice in Virginia, too. Maybe the northern 2/3 of Shenandoah National Park, from Swift Run Gap (US 33) to Front Royal is about 65 miles.

Shadowalker
02-21-2012, 22:55
Im with Don H. , I grew up in Carlisle Pa. , The AT runs rite thru the middle of the Cumberland County , Pa. , Boiling Springs , U could also start in Duncannon , Pa. , Perry County and head South , Alot of good Trail Hiking and the degree of difficulty for the North n South Mountains would be a good experience for a beginner , also thru this area u are never far from the small towns u would be Hiking near , Boiling Springs , Carlisle , Mt Holly , and going South u would be going thru Pine Grove Furnace where there is a Hostil , As well as traversing thru Michaux State Forest , Also Pine Grove Furnace has Laurel Lake and Fuller Lake along the Trail , So bring ur trunks , If u wanna get a handbook to help on ur journey , I have purchased The A T Guide , 2012 , By David " AWOL " Miller , U can order a NoBO or SoBo , It dont matter , Its a complete Guide of The Trail and Towns , Stores n Restaurants along the way , $ 18.00 includes shipping !! Have Fun !!

LIhikers
02-21-2012, 23:00
For first timers out for a week, I think the best option would be to hike SOBO from PA/MD state line, and end your hike in Harpers Ferry, where you can visit the ATC and learn some of the history of the trail, etc. and if you have never been to Harpers Ferry, its just a cool place to visit.

+1 for Firefighter's suggestion.
That's a great section of trail for your first hike.
Make sure you read the guide books before your hike and learn about the history you'll be walking through

Don H
02-22-2012, 22:11
PenMar to HF is just over 40 miles and is an easy hike and can be done on a weekend. Recommend picking up water at Gathland SP for the rest of the trip to HF since the Ed Garvey Shelter's water source is 1/2 mile straight down off the ridge. I've done Boiling Springs to Harpers Ferry, that's about 100 miles and easily done in a week.