PDA

View Full Version : shelter for 2 plus dog

dalemc
02-21-2012, 20:08
I am in the market for an ultra light shelter that will sleep my girlfriend and I. She has a medium size dog that she loves to backpack with. She would like the dog in the shelter, though I do not want this for many reasons. I'm trying to either find a compromise or at least a shelter that a dog will not tear up as easy (though I personally don't want a dog all over my other expensive UL gear either). I would like a shelter that has detachable netting and is made with cuben fiber.

The shelter that I would really like to get is the zpacks hexamid twin. I had asked Joe about making the netting detachable on a solo-plus sometime ago and it seems he said this was possible, so I am assuming he may be able to work it out on the twin as well. However, I am thinking that it would be nice to find compromise by having the dog sleep under the tarp, but outside of the bathtub floor and netting (so, the vestibule area). Unfortunately, this does not seem possible with the hexamid twin, as there isn't much "vestibule" space. So, I am wondering if a dog inside the shelter floor area and netting is a bad idea for integrity of the shelter if I lose this battle and we end up getting this shelter.

The other shelter I was considering is the HMG Echo II. Though I'd like more head room, with this one it seems that the dog could sleep at our head in the vestibule area.

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides the obvious (which I won't say! :)) Thank you!!!!!!

HeartFire
02-21-2012, 20:30
You would all fit in the LightHeart Duo. If you get a wedge added, the dog could sleep under the awning.
www.lightheartgear.com

samgriffin4
05-17-2012, 11:59
I'd check out the Tarptent double rainbow. GREAT shelter.

WIAPilot
05-17-2012, 13:09
Oh man. You do not want to come between a girl and her dog. The dog will win every time. Either suggest that she get a tent of her own for the dog and herself; spend less on your own shelter or come to terms with it. I'm telling you that if you start out resentful of the dog, you know who will ultimately be sleeping in the doghouse...

4dogHiker
05-17-2012, 14:28
We have four dogs....my husband either sleeps in a hammock or under his tarp. All four dogs sleep in the tent with me. We have a Kelty Gunnison 2. It is six years old and the only damage was done when I left one of my dogs in the tent alone while I went potty, and she jumped through the screen and punched a hole in the door trying to get out- well she got out. Regardless, it was an extenuating circumstance, and actually the hole was remarkably small, and we just stitched it up (the tear was the mesh meeting the tent fabric). There are no holes or rips from the dogs nails or any other damage. All my dogs are 50+ lbs, by the way.

The Old Boot
05-17-2012, 14:56
Oh man. You do not want to come between a girl and her dog. The dog will win every time. Either suggest that she get a tent of her own for the dog and herself; spend less on your own shelter or come to terms with it. I'm telling you that if you start out resentful of the dog, you know who will ultimately be sleeping in the doghouse...

+ 1

This message is too short blah, blah, blah