PDA

View Full Version : Heel Slippage in every shoe!

B-Rabbit
02-22-2012, 09:47
I had narrowed my shoe selection down to a few shoes and went to REI yesterday to try them on. I tried the Salomon XA Pros, Brooks Cascadia 6 and 7's, and a variety of Vasque. I found that I have heel slippage in every pair, but only on my left foot. What does this mean and how do I fix it? Any solutions? I really want the XA's! They feel great beyond the heel slip. Suggestions please!

Storm
02-22-2012, 10:00
Sounds like you have a big difference in the size or at least the width of your feet. I also tried to get fitted at REI. They actually had me wearing two different size shoes to try and figure it out. Ended up going with the smaller size and having to stretch one shoe a little. Can't say if that would work on the heel, my problem was in the toe box.

Razor
02-22-2012, 10:09
You might want to try New Balance shoes. Check out their web site and look up their last chart. They make lasts( the inside fit ) with narrow heal widths and many other variables. And good solid shoes. Try to stay in the 800 and 900 styles .They are the best hiking builds!

Nutbrown
02-22-2012, 10:12
I have that problem with any shoe I wear. The difference came from the sock. I changed from thicker smartwools to tighter darn toughs. My heel still slips, but the sock stays put so there is no uncomfortable rubbing. Changing from boots to runners also helped due to being a lot lighter and less stiff, but looks like those are what you are shopping for.

Kerosene
02-22-2012, 10:18
You might also ask about different lacing techniques that will do a better job of "locking in" your heel. Orthotics might help also. If the REI fitters can't find a solution, then do some research to find a professional boot fitter.

Ender
02-22-2012, 10:18
Here's a tip to help with heel slippage:

Use two laces per shoe. The first lace is for most of the foot, from the toes up over the arches to near the ankle. That lace you lace normally, not too tight. The second lace is only up by the ankle, two eyelets at most, and it should be laced much more tightly.

It makes putting on and taking off your shoes a PITA, but it really does help for heel slippage.

Nutbrown
02-22-2012, 10:20
The XA's have their own kevlar laces with a quick tightener, so no use on changing the way they are laced.

rhjanes
02-22-2012, 10:31
I have it in about everything also. Try this. Take an entire sheet of Mole FOAM with you. Pull the insole up, slide in the mole foam around the heal cup, push the insole back down (sort of holds it in), then put the shoe on, tighten the laces and walk around the store. I have been lining my Merrells with Mole FOAM for about 5 years. I also do the "heal lock" lace method. I still get a tad of slippage, which wears out the mole foam and not the shoe. I usually get 500 miles in and then the shoe is shot anyway. If it works, then take the foam home, use a Sharpie marker to mark it and trim it so it fits into the heal well, peal and stick it then.

Spokes
02-22-2012, 10:42
Besides lacing techniques you may want to try "volume fitting" with a correctly sized insert like SuperFeet to adjust out the heel slippage.

Rain Man
02-22-2012, 10:46
Wow... some good suggestions in this thread! I always seem to have some heel slippage, too. Finally came to think of it as normal and something everyone must have. But I will admit the inside lining of my heels (always to one side) wears out long before the shoe does. I think I'll try the mole foam technique and see if it will stay in place.

I also learned at REI that there are a wide variety of shoe lacing patterns, which can be used on almost any shoe with any shoe lace. I have a high instep (besides the heel slippage) and lacing this way or that way helps.

Finally, Razor, I like your suggest of New Balance. When I used to run a lot in law school in Memphis, New Balances were about the only shoes that would fit me. Most running shoes being built for very narrow, very low feet (at least in those days). If New Balance builds a hiking shoe similar to their old running shoes, I'm definitely gonna give them a try. Right now, Lowas are about the only thing that really fit me, but they aren't perfect (heel slippage and wear). Maybe it's time to give an old favorite a New Balance try.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and hints!

Rain:sunMan

hikerboy57
02-22-2012, 12:18
most people have one foot larger than the other, we're not as symmetrical as you would think. i usually have some slippage in my shoes, but it doesnt seem to translate into blisters, im still comfortable. if you're left is smaller than your right foot(or vice versa) you might try a thin insole under your footbed.crosslacing your shoes over your instep also helps your foot from sliding into the toebox(re:black toenails)the mioleskin suggestion above works too.

hikerboy57
02-22-2012, 12:19
Wow... some good suggestions in this thread! I always seem to have some heel slippage, too. Finally came to think of it as normal and something everyone must have. But I will admit the inside lining of my heels (always to one side) wears out long before the shoe does. I think I'll try the mole foam technique and see if it will stay in place.

I also learned at REI that there are a wide variety of shoe lacing patterns, which can be used on almost any shoe with any shoe lace. I have a high instep (besides the heel slippage) and lacing this way or that way helps.

Finally, Razor, I like your suggest of New Balance. When I used to run a lot in law school in Memphis, New Balances were about the only shoes that would fit me. Most running shoes being built for very narrow, very low feet (at least in those days). If New Balance builds a hiking shoe similar to their old running shoes, I'm definitely gonna give them a try. Right now, Lowas are about the only thing that really fit me, but they aren't perfect (heel slippage and wear). Maybe it's time to give an old favorite a New Balance try.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and hints!

Rain:sunMan

have you tried keens. i used to wear lowa renegades, which fit me well, I now use targhees and find them extremely comfortable, a little lighter than the lowas

jbwood5
02-22-2012, 12:35
I have the heel slip problem too, I guess because I have a narrow heel. Most of my shoes get thrown away because I wear out the back of the shoe due to slippage. Now what I do is pre-tape my heels by using Elasticon tape over a taping base of tincture of Benzoin. That protects your heel and using that taping method, the tape will hold on your heel (actually bottom of your achillies tendon) for up to a week, even if continuously wet and hiking all day.

I have tried different lacing methods, and yes, I can reduce the slipping for a short while, but after a few days, my achillies tendon starts hurting. All I can figure is that my biomechanics dictates that there must be movement in my heel. I have a high arch and use the ball of my feet to push off. My footstrike is always the ball of my foot first and heel last, unlike most people who land pretty much flat.

It took me a few years to figure out that pre-taping was the only way I could hike for weeks at a time. Very flexible trail runners (Brooks Adrenaline) helps this considerably, but you loose sideways stability which is somewhat important if your pack weight is up at 40 pounds. Keen hiking boots are fairly decent for this issue, but the narrow boney heel is what my problem is.

B-Rabbit
02-22-2012, 14:41
Great Info. Thank you! I did look up the lacing techniques, but they will not work on the Salomon XA's because of their lacing system. It's a shame because the shoe fits great other wise. I like the mole skin idea but I question its durability. Has anyone ever tried a heel cup to fix this problem? Seems like they are mainly made out of gel and I don't know how well they will hold up.

rhjanes
02-22-2012, 16:47
Please note, there is Mole SKIN and Mole FOAM. I get the FOAM for the heal application. Yes, it can wear down. But it is cheap, so easy to replace. I get 500 trail (city trail and also a lake trail) on mine and it is worn out, but so is the shoe. Two tricks to keeping it in. Stick it to a NEW shoe. On a shoe with dirt already ground into the heal, it won't stick well. Trim it down so it fits the shoe. Use your fingers to guide your heal past the top edge of the foam, otherwise, you pushing your heal down it, will pull it off. think of your two fingers as a free shoe-horn.

WhoDey
02-22-2012, 16:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BSXa8vE10

I only use this for my running shoes but I see no reason why it wouldn't work for you. I use the last method shown in the video and it works great for me.

jbwood5
02-22-2012, 17:01
Great Info. Thank you! I did look up the lacing techniques, but they will not work on the Salomon XA's because of their lacing system. It's a shame because the shoe fits great other wise. I like the mole skin idea but I question its durability. Has anyone ever tried a heel cup to fix this problem? Seems like they are mainly made out of gel and I don't know how well they will hold up.

The Gel heel cup is durable, but when soaking wet it can slip around and turn out of place. I also don't think it would help much if it is the back of your heel that is slipping since it only has about 3/8" to 1/2" of lip on the back. I sometimes use them as a slight lift to help with my achillies problem.

moytoy
02-22-2012, 18:17
Here's a tip to help with heel slippage:

Use two laces per shoe. The first lace is for most of the foot, from the toes up over the arches to near the ankle. That lace you lace normally, not too tight. The second lace is only up by the ankle, two eyelets at most, and it should be laced much more tightly.

It makes putting on and taking off your shoes a PITA, but it really does help for heel slippage.
I use a slight variation of Enders two lace system. I am wearing NB 814's and had to buy them a size too large to get room in the toe area. So heel slippage was a problem. I lace up to the top where the slippage style eyelets stop (thats where ender call over the arches) here I tie a square knot so that the lower lacing is a little loosy goosy. Then I lace up the rest of the eyelets with the same lace but its above the square knot. Then I can pull as tight as needed to get the heel tight and not slipping but the lower laces stay loose. Once I have the lower laces set to the right tightness I don't have to retie the square knot, it just stays tied. I can remove my shoes without disturbing the lower laces.

Wise Old Owl
02-22-2012, 21:00
I have personally sold mens shoes as a source of income for several years ( Men's Wearhouse ) - yea the old leather bottom ones... (Moleskin) I won't quote you - way off base....

New Balance are cheap ass sneakers that will wear out too fast on the trail. ( I just trashed two New Ballance trail runners)
I am speaking matter of fact from exsperience.

Here is the real rub... sizes are in 1/8 of inch of difference. Folks get it into their brain that the Number must be their size all the time... WRONG. Never pick boots and trail runners this way....

The number gets you close...... You must pick out or bring in fresh hiking socks 1 year old socks won't work they are compressed with age.
Try on BOTH boots - one foot is larger than the other.... - go walk up to the wall and kick the toe box into the base plate light - your toes should not enter the toe box. There is a small gap at the front again 1/8 of an inch
No slip is acceptable - go up or down a number till you get a better fit.
Use the RAMP
Still not happy - now try the wides... but be careful - you loose arch support... comfort without support can be a mistake.

Lets move forward - don't ever feel you are imposing on the folk that bring out the shoes they are trying their best to make you happy! Always engage them for their opinion....

rhjanes
02-22-2012, 23:31
++11 on what Wise Old Owl says! I've had major foot issues all my life (deformed as a kid). I had to go into orthotics and such. I went to our Larry's shoes here in Texas, where they have people with, oh.....20 years in shoe sales. She let me try on what size I THOUGHT I was. Smiled, tried another size. Then asked me to try a different brand and such. WOW, what a different. Only AFTER she fitted me, did she allow me to see the size (and price). I've got some of the shoes that are now 15 years old and I might FINALLY have to replace them.

I also bought the book on How to Fix Your Feet (something like that, a runners book). I've only read the first 100 pages, but he's stated what Wise Owl said, about 8 times already.

I wear my new hiker socks to the store, remove the insoles and put in my orthotics, then the Mole Foam, then lace them MY way. Then walk around, climb the REI thing, etc. If they fit, then I buy them. And one of our REI's, has a saleslady who has a lot of experiance selling shoes and doesn't mind carting out 10 boxes for you.

DLANOIE
02-23-2012, 00:46
wHAT A GREAT THREAD. iMSO GLAD i READ THIS THREAD BECAUSE iVE LEARNED ALOT. tHANKS FOR EVERYONES ADVICE, INPUT AND TIPS!

stranger
02-23-2012, 06:03
I had narrowed my shoe selection down to a few shoes and went to REI yesterday to try them on. I tried the Salomon XA Pros, Brooks Cascadia 6 and 7's, and a variety of Vasque. I found that I have heel slippage in every pair, but only on my left foot. What does this mean and how do I fix it? Any solutions? I really want the XA's! They feel great beyond the heel slip. Suggestions please!

I find shoes have more heel slip for me in the beginning and less when they are broken in somewhat, but not always. You can try hikers wool behind your heels, inside your sock, this will add volume to the heel area and prevent against blisters which will no doubt be around if your heel slips.

Do you know how to do 'lace locks'? This helps as well, just different ways of tying your shoes.